shape
carat
color
clarity

In over my head, any guidance for a guy starting to look?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: In over my head, any guidance for a guy starting to look

Gosh, I'll tell you, I really love the BE ring in spite of it not being the greatest place to buy the diamond. It is a repro of an antique Tiffany setting, which I think she also put on her Pinterest page, and I have it saved, too. I just think it's a more enduring style than that one from Greenlake, Niel, don't you? Plus I think GL will run higher on the settings.

I do like the diamond Niel already linked:

http://www.brilliantearth.com/loose-diamonds/view_detail/1583550/

This one is a possibility, too, and could allow for the platinum setting.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/loose-diamonds/view_detail/1692042/

I'd ask if they could get both of these stones in and take pictures. I'll take a quick look and see if they are listed elsewhere with pics.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1446093898|3943308 said:
Gosh, I'll tell you, I really love the BE ring in spite of it not being the greatest place to buy the diamond. It is a repro of an antique Tiffany setting, which I think she also put on her Pinterest page, and I have it saved, too. I just think it's a more enduring style than that one from Greenlake, Niel, don't you? Plus I think GL will run higher on the settings.

I do like the diamond Niel already linked:

http://www.brilliantearth.com/loose-diamonds/view_detail/1583550/

This one is a possibility, too, and could allow for the platinum setting.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/loose-diamonds/view_detail/1692042/

I'd ask if they could get both of these stones in and take pictures. I'll take a quick look and see if they are listed elsewhere with pics.

I feel the same as you do, ds. That setting is lovely and there really is something to be said for a first time buyer to be able to get everything all at once. It is more timeless than the greenlake rings, and it would allow for a larger stone. I've had this conflict before: the setting from BE is beautiful and in budget , but the only thing you can do is buy their stones. I think, at a point, you have to weigh the pros and cons and say, sure, its a little more expensive stone, but I'm not going to get the convenience of a one stop sbop, or that setting at that price elsewhere. Plus its not like a kays or somewhere where convenience means a poor quality or a price hike. Yeah it's more, but I don't think outrageously so.

With that said, right now I do think that greenlake one seems extremely "her", based on the photos. It may be less times,but its got more of the elements she likes. It's vintage feel without screaming antique or deco, its organic, its got that swirl she likes, its low set, and interesting metal work.

Honestly I don't think you could go wrong with either, based on what her pinterest board looks like

JDP_1988

Rough_Rock

Wow, Thanks for all the responses guys. I had to take a step back last night and stop stressing about the search for an evening. I'll start sifting through all the suggestions you've given me!

JDP_1988

Rough_Rock

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Hudson-Matched-Set-White-Gold-BE132-BE232-1156291/

What do you guys think of this one? I think she has it pinned twice. More specifically, How do you feel about the engraving on the band. As I look at the pictures of what she's posted, in order of oldest to newest, it almost seems to me that she is trending away from the floral type rings to more of a straight band... (I'm terrible with the terminology!) My thought, if I were to go with something like that, is that it might have a "best of both" type effect?

I'll admit, I'm probably way over thinking this haha. I unfortunately, don't know how long apart her oldest pins are from her newest.

ETA: corrected the link to the setting only

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Jolie setting she has pinned twice (I think the Jolie and the antique version), one on the first page and one on the last page. Please stick with that one! Niel posted one good diamond and I added another and I think the post is at the bottom of the first page.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Jolie-Diamond-Ring-Platinum-BE1M9906-1153241/

I like an engraved ring, but not as much as the Jolie. But if you do want engraved, we have lots of other options besides BE.

Okay, she has Hudson listed twice, too. So really, that is a good indication that either Jolie or Hudson would be a great choice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1446130009|3943383 said:
The Jolie setting she has pinned twice (I think the Jolie and the antique version), one on the first page and one on the last page. Please stick with that one! Niel posted one good diamond and I added another and I think the post is at the bottom of the first page.

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Jolie-Diamond-Ring-Platinum-BE1M9906-1153241/

I like an engraved ring, but not as much as the Jolie. But if you do want engraved, we have lots of other options besides BE.

Okay, she has Hudson listed twice, too. So really, that is a good indication that either Jolie or Hudson would be a great choice.

I think the jolie is a better option than the engraved one, even though both are listen in her pins. So I think ds is right.

She can always get an engraved band to go with it, or a twisty band, or both, really the jolie has more wedding band options.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89|1446068999|3943169 said:
Niel|1446067271|3943157 said:
this clarity is overkill but its my favorite stone

http://www.brilliantearth.com/rings/cyorings/view_diamond/1583550/?sid=1153244

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Jolie-Diamond-Ring-White-Gold-BE1M9906-1153244/?did=1583550&is_tab=1

this is the setting your first set of photos, middle top. its a replica of the 4th set of photos, middle row right
I think these would be great. Spend a little more on the diamond, get a setting that she already likes, come in under budget!

I do also love the first JA I posted (in my 2nd list) the filigree one. It also looks really lovely with a 0.8 stone, very proportional (the JA stock photo looks huge and quite large).

OP - so many choices! What a lucky lady!

My first choice would be the Jolie as it is a beautiful setting, she pinned it, fits her antique look with side diamonds, and also the fact it is relatively low set and contoured so she can wear at work.
There are a bunch of diamonds in the .7 to .75 range. Don't feel like you have to spend all the rest of your budget on the stone, if you can find a stone that works for the setting.

I also really like the James Allen setting, with the openwork filigree.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is lovely! Its such a nice setting.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The Hudson is gorgeous. But the Jolie is my preference. I think it has a classic vintagey style that is more enduring. Also I like that it comes without a wedding band, because then you can put more money into the centre stone, AND she can pick the wedding band herself. Gives her a bit of freedom of choice.

JDP_1988

Rough_Rock

Well, thanks to an engagement ring commercial last night, I was able to have a more detailed discussion about what she likes. Unfortunately, I think the Jolie setting is going to be a little too simple of a band for her (though I do understand that simple and elegant causes it to be more timeless.) Unfortunately, after the conversation I'm even more confused. I don't think she even knows what she wants. She walked me through her pinterest board and was all over the place with likes and dislikes.

She pointed out the ring in the First picture, Second row, right side as possibly being her favorite, but then immediately started talking about the more modern rings where the wedding band is captured in the middle of the engagement ring.

-Her main concern is being unique. She said she doesn't want to run into someone with the same ring as her.
-She likes filigree, due to the uniqueness of it.
-She doesn't want anything too flashy, she's a jeans and tennis shoes girl most of the time.
-She wants something that doesn't stick up too far from her hand, as she very rarely wears jewelry and feels like she's going to get caught a lot
-She likes vintage, but she also really likes modern stuff. she went from pointing out antique rings to jumping right to a tension ring and talking about how cool that is.
-I asked her about platinum vs. white gold, and she really didn't know. She said she doesn't know much about the properties of them.
-unfortunately, she doesn't know her ring size... she knows she's between a 5 and a 6, but not much else besides that.
-she pointed out an oval stone and said she kind of liked it, mostly due to the uniqueness.
-she mentioned that halo's are kind of cool, but didn't point out multiples of them.
-she is very intentional on things matching in her day to day outfits. from how much emphasis she put on it last night, I'm kind of thinking I might have to be looking into matched sets, but if there's a very good fit with two separates, I can work with that.

Sorry if it seems like I'm ignoring some of the advice. I'm putting a little too much pressure on myself so I have to keep taking steps back for a deep breath. I kind of like the filigree ring posted in one of the first responses, but I can't tell how flashy it would be, or get a good sense of the scale on the ring vs her finger. There's also the difficulty of finding a wedding band that would match with it.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/vintage/14k-white-gold-diamond-filigree-engagement-ring-item-52620

So.... after all the help you've already given... Here I go again. :shock:

ETA: One last question. When buying a stone online, it's important to check it outside of a setting, right? How does that work if I buy the stone and the setting at the same place, can I request to have them send me the diamond for review, and send it back to be set?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, let me make sure I understand.

She wants metal work, but not necessarily modern or vintage, just something lovely and detailed.

She wants it casual to fit her lifestyle

Low set

UNIQUE

that sound right?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

Based on that criteria I immediately thought of this specific ring.

http://www.crossjewelers.com/products/product.aspx?ID=1365

Their pricing is high, but if we could find you a nice center stones I bet David Klass could make that setting for around a thousand bucks plus the cost of the side stones. It's the only "modern, active, vintage" ring I have ever seen. I have the same ring in a 5 stone without the engraving and I love it.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

kb1gra- AMAZING suggestion!!! PERFECT!!!!

dubliner_engrv_detail_jpg.jpg

JDP_1988

Rough_Rock

Niel|1446308464|3944189 said:

She wants metal work, but not necessarily modern or vintage, just something lovely and detailed.
-I think that's a fairly accurate summation of that. She likes aspects of both styles, but didn't necessarily have one over the other.

-correct, something with a good balance that doesn't look out of place with jeans, a skirt, or the occasional dress.

Low set
-Yep

UNIQUE
-Bingo!

that sound right?

Thanks for the input, and sorry for being so difficult!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Soo that is a little tricky. I still like the filigree setting, if you scroll to the right you can see what it will look like with a smaller stone, and I think it looks really nice (I don't love it with a large stone), but finding a wedding band would be more difficult.

HOWEVER, if she really doesn't want a ring that someone else has, you could look at custom. Maybe even getting her involved with the process. Take a look at David Klass' facebook/instagram page and you'll see lots of examples of his work.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JDP_1988|1446309214|3944195 said:
Niel|1446308464|3944189 said:

-I think that's a fairly accurate summation of that. She likes aspects of both styles, but didn't necessarily have one over the other.

-correct, something with a good balance that doesn't look out of place with jeans, a skirt, or the occasional dress.

Low set
-Yep

UNIQUE
-Bingo!

that sound right?

Thanks for the input, and sorry for being so difficult!

You're not being difficult in the least!

Have you considered contacting greenlake jewelry?
They can custom make you something and I think they could do it on your budget. Customer made sounds pretty unique

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Take a look at this guys stuff. Most of your money will go towards the setting, but I don't think that is actually a bad thing in her case

http://www.sebastienbarier.com/

JDP_1988

Rough_Rock

I think part of my hang up on custom designing one, is that I really don't know where to start with it. though, finding a cheap solitaire setting to propose with and then designing could be an option, just a little less of a "win" than me nailing a good choice on my own!

So hopefully this one isn't as bad as the first ring I posted, but what are your thoughts on something like this?

https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product/ER9508W44JJ

I know there aren't any rings in her pinterest specifically like it, but I feel like the profile view of it, especially with how the prongs are formed, lean more towards an older style, while the top view of it looks a lot more modern with how the split shank is done. I think the diamond is kept low enough in it to not get in the way too much, and like the matching wedding band. I also like the bit of metalwork around where the side set stones in the band are.

One thing I have a hard time with is judging if a ring will be too flashy, just going by pictures online. the ones I saw in the jeweler last week looked a lot more subdued than they did online, which was a bonus. Anyways, do you think I'm way off base?

The hardest part I'm having in explaining things is the "her" factor... there's been some suggestions for rings that are perfect matches for her pinterest board, and things she's described, but just don't quite fit her.

Also, those Sebastien Barier rings are beautiful... I'll look into those some more!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

this is one in your budget. Its very detailed from the side, but from the top its got only a bit of pave showing, which i think goes towards the "jeans and a t" look she aspires to

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/sebastien-barier/sb-b049#.VjUNGLerSUk

i know shes after unique, is rose or yellow gold out of the question?

JDP_1988

Rough_Rock

Niel|1446317336|3944238 said:
i know shes after unique, is rose or yellow gold out of the question?

Yeah, from talking last night, she likes the white look of the gold or platinum, but didn't know enough about platinum to say if she would prefer it over gold.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think if you stay away from a halo, it wont be *too* flashy. Keep in mind, a ring is relatively small. Youre looking at it blown up 10x on a screen and analyzing every detail - but IRL its further away and smaller.

Ooh neil that one is very nice. she even pinned some that were similar. Leaves only a small amount for a diamond though.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

something like this , with the detail on the side and in the profile, with an e/w oval or a round.. (i know you said she liked that oval, and ill be damned if shes going to run into a lot of people with them set e/w)

tumblr_mf3ibkjuu81rwlfb9o1_1280.jpg

35_1_380x380_c.jpg

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

Continuing the maevona theme Neil has started. Some of these rings seem low set and they certainly have a unique, imaginative quality about them. This one had been Jewel of the Week on Pricescope:

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-maevona-jura-engagement-ring

The hardest part I'm having in explaining things is the "her" factor... there's been some suggestions for rings that are perfect matches for her pinterest board, and things she's described, but just don't quite fit her.

Don't worry, it is part of a process that takes a bit of time. Finding a ring that is "her" rather than simply a beautiful ring might be more difficult but it is also more rewarding.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

^ I adore (read: covet) MaeVona's Eorsa settings!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love all of these ideas! Personally, I think an east-west oval would be VERY unique. What do you think about picking a rather simple setting, and having secret hider stones on each side, one of each of your guys' birthstones? Making it very about you two? And then the band she could pick to be totally her style.

Honestly, she is just going to love all the time and effort that you've put into this, and that it won't be yellow gold. :D She'll love it! Me, I would err on the side of timeless. I picked a very unique e-ring, and I think a more timeless style would stand the test of time better. To each his own, though!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inspiration pics:

Last pic shows secret or "surprise diamonds" that could be customized to be your and her birthstones.

I like the oval suggestion because very few people have ovals, so she would really have the uniqueness there! I also think it's a good way to get nice size, because ovals will face up with good coverage (am I right, PSers?).

If I were you, I'd narrow down specific preferences and then get a diamond, and then get David Klass to make it. Check out his Facebook! And his prices are very competitive.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1446346236.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1446346254.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1446346265.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1446346278.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results