shape
carat
color
clarity

In a quandry - is a tilt window common in RB and Portuguese cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmm it''s minimised a little but not as much as I thought it might be. What a pity. Do you have another empty setting you can try it in? It''s so pretty head on that it seems such a shame not to be able to use it BUT if it''s not grabbing your heart then it should be sent back.
7.gif

Gotta say though, your Umbalite is hubba hubba licious!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cellentani,
I think the question you need to ask yourself is if the color of the stone is fine enough for you to keep it despite its obvious cutting flaws. I have many stones that are not of the best cutting. However, like the recent spessertite I just obtained (with the small window), the color spoke to me, and I kept it. There is no sense in keeping a gem unless there is an aspect of the stone that you truly love.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 4:52:12 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 6/12/2009 10:37:03 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
The only gems I like large tables on are diamonds. It helps to give them more dispersion, and they face up larger. However, large tables on stones are not my cup of tea. I prefer higher crowns and smaller tables, as Gene noted. They help to reduce tilt windows on low RI gems. Of course, who am I to talk with all my bad native cut gems
emembarrassed.gif

I actually have a precision faceted dark rhodolite garnet. It has an antique cut, and the table is very very small. As a result, it sparkles like crazy, even though it is a very dark stone. Even in dim lighting, the stone has life.
TL,
For diamonds, I actually like high crowns and small tables too; it gives them much better coloured light return aka FIRE! It does seem to help light coloured gemstones too. I''ve seen this in a deep red spinel which gave good red flash but the extra depth made the stone too dark. The cutter tried to hit the 2 ct mark and so a lot of the weight was in the crown.
Thanks for your opinion on this Chrono.
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono, LD, and TL for all your helpful input. Sadly, the little tourmaline''s going back on Monday - that side window''s just too distracting for me, and the color can''t make up for it. It''s probably not fair to have put it next to the rich color of the umbalite, though. At least I''m happy to have learned something.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 6:36:52 PM
Author: cellentani
Thanks Chrono, LD, and TL for all your helpful input. Sadly, the little tourmaline''s going back on Monday - that side window''s just too distracting for me, and the color can''t make up for it. It''s probably not fair to have put it next to the rich color of the umbalite, though. At least I''m happy to have learned something.
I think you made the right decision.
1.gif
At least you can use that $$$ towards something that you truly love.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2009 6:44:10 PM

Date: 6/13/2009 6:36:52 PM
1.gif
Oooooh, like a setting for my umbalite!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2009 6:51:20 PM

Date: 6/13/2009 6:44:10 PM

1.gif
Oooooh, like a setting for my umbalite!!
There you go. There''s always something better the $$$ can be spent on that you will love and enjoy!

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
cellentani
I just wanted to pop in and tell you those stones are gorgeous! you got some great pics of the gene stone as well!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results