shape
carat
color
clarity

Impulse purchases (not just bling related)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone here (haha I sure hope I am not alone) like to make impulse purchases?

I find I do often but it is generally not for big ticket items so I feel safe in doing so.

If you make impulse purchases please share (over any time period) and do you make them when you are happy? Stressed? Sad? Anxious? Etc.
Or all of the above.

calvinandhobbesconsumerism.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lately I've been on a big sweater kick, kind of working on upgrading my wardrobe as I'm getting older. Every time I get a "sale" email from Bloomingdale's or NM I tend to end up with a new sweater then I get to enjoy the wait until it's delivered. I will admit I enjoy online shopping and delivery more than going in store.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lately I've been on a big sweater kick, kind of working on upgrading my wardrobe as I'm getting older. Every time I get a "sale" email from Bloomingdale's or NM I tend to end up with a new sweater then I get to enjoy the wait until it's delivered. I will admit I enjoy online shopping and delivery more than going in store.

It's very satisfying ordering online especially at a discount (and using Rakuten to get cash back too) and getting it within a day or two. And the anticipation is exciting too I agree. Definitely easier than going to the store. Though occasionally I like shopping in person to feel and touch and try on what I am interested in...case in point I just bought a faux fur blue short jacket and without seeing it and trying it on in the store I wouldn't know I love it. I didn't even know I wanted something like this. Aka impulse purchase on my part. But it's so soft and fun and easy to wear. Not warm however. LOL.

bcbgmaxazriafauxfur.jpg

bcbgmaxazriajacket.jpg

Sweater weather is here @Asscherhalo_lover, enjoy your new sweaters and keep warm and cozy!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I love it @missy ! It will great on you, stylish and fun just like you!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes. I really try not to because our budget can't take many impulse purchases. For me when I do, its usually a cheap snack because I've gone to the grocery store starving lmao. This week's impulse buy was golden oreos lol.
My husband is worse. He's like oh this looks good. I want that. And this. And that. And this too. And I'm like *facepalm* This is why I go to shop alone and he doesn't come with me very often.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cardigans! I have a love for all things cardigans so I keep buying them...even though I have more than any girl could need. I've also been on a major cookie kick. If I walk down that cookie aisle, I'm toast. :lol-2:

In other words, yes. I am definitely an impulse shopper. I shop more when I'm sad or lonely.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. I go in phases and it usually always coincides with season changes or times of stress. This fall I focused on the house, redecorating and replacing appliances. I also tend to de-clutter during these times, cleaning closets, the garage and basement.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m an amazon addict. It’s just too easy to get small, cheap delivered things! Mostly I’m buying books or presents or weather related items. I just ordered a bunch of warm socks for fall.

I did recently make an impulsive bling purchase which I’m excited for!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m an amazon addict. It’s just too easy to get small, cheap delivered things! Mostly I’m buying books or presents or weather related items. I just ordered a bunch of warm socks for fall.

Amazon is the devil! :evil2: My first year with Amazon prime I had packages coming in almost every day. It's just so EASY!

What's the bling purchase? Inquiring minds need to know...:mrgreen:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely Amazon for impulse purchases. AI has gotten so good that their suggestions get me a lot. I unsubscribed from clothing promo emails so those impulse purchases have been cut off.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cardigans! I have a love for all things cardigans so I keep buying them...even though I have more than any girl could need. I've also been on a major cookie kick. If I walk down that cookie aisle, I'm toast. :lol-2:

In other words, yes. I am definitely an impulse shopper. I shop more when I'm sad or lonely.

Same. My shopping is definitely up when I’m sad, stressed or bored. Hmm same as for eating bad stuff. :wink2: When my defenses are down I shop.

39659D13-5971-492E-B51E-2A2ABD14EAB9.gif

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I'm feeling flat I tend *not* to shop because I can't work out what I want. I'll go back and forth and round and round and end up with nothing and then just hating myself for not being able to choose between blue and grey socks!

When I'm happy, perky, or it's anything (at all!) to do with Christmas, I can shop up a storm - tho that tends to involve a list, so isn't true impulse shopping.

But for TRUE impulse shopping - when I'm on vacation takes the cake! Nothing in particular, everything in general! And speaking of cake - if I shop while hungry...oh dear... :shifty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trotters shoes.

I’m that username that Marketing points to as a staple example of “sale emails work”.

Good mood, bad mood. Busy or idling time away.
If it’s from Trotters and it’s a boot or a pump I’m going to buy it.
Trotters has a 3” heel I can wear daily a full week straight. That was fantasy with any other brand!! I have duplicates of duplicates of this shoe. The other half thought I’d gone round the bend... now they’re impossible to find in my size and I’m SO glad I stocked up!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trotters shoes.

I’m that username that Marketing points to as a staple example of “sale emails work”.

Good mood, bad mood. Busy or idling time away.
If it’s from Trotters and it’s a boot or a pump I’m going to buy it.
Trotters has a 3” heel I can wear daily a full week straight. I have duplicates of duplicates of this shoe. The other half thought I’d gone round the bend... now they’re impossible to find in my size and I’m SO glad I stocked up!!

Stocking up has its advantages. Nicely done @yssie
I’m that way with SW OTK boots. Lol I’m sure we could fill many closets with our shoes/boots. But hopefully we’ll never run out and that we remain the same shoe size. Fingers crossed.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am guilty of it. But honestly my problem lately is just not having enough time/energy to research to get the best deal or wait, etc. So my daughter really needed new leggings. So yes we did get a couple leggings but also some shirts did she really need? (but she liked them). And she wanted a dress. Later that day on my phone, ordering a dress from Lands End because, sale, plus they wear well. And I've wanted a down comforter for the past year, so added that to my shopping cart. To my credit I did check Costco first but the one I wanted from them was out of stock online. Was the comforter the best deal (combination of quality and price) out there? Who knows. But I am glad I am getting a comforter in time for cold weather.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I'm feeling flat I tend *not* to shop because I can't work out what I want. I'll go back and forth and round and round and end up with nothing and then just hating myself for not being able to choose between blue and grey socks!

When I'm happy, perky, or it's anything (at all!) to do with Christmas, I can shop up a storm - tho that tends to involve a list, so isn't true impulse shopping.

But for TRUE impulse shopping - when I'm on vacation takes the cake! Nothing in particular, everything in general! And speaking of cake - if I shop while hungry...oh dear... :shifty:

I’m this way when I see something I think a loved one would enjoy. I just buy it. Impulse buys for sure. Life is short. I don’t want to miss an opportunity to show hey I love you and am thinking of you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am guilty of it. But honestly my problem lately is just not having enough time/energy to research to get the best deal or wait, etc. So my daughter really needed new leggings. So yes we did get a couple leggings but also some shirts did she really need? (but she liked them). And she wanted a dress, getting a dress from Lands End because they were having a sale and their dresses wear well. And I've wanted a down comforter for the past year and both blankets I bought to use instead I didn't like as much and ended up getting ruined by my geriatric cat (now passed away). The one I wanted wasn't in stock online at Costco, so impulsively bought one at Lands end. Is it the best deal (combination of quality and price) out there? Who knows.

I agree sometimes it’s too exhausting to do extensive research. What to purchase could take way too long to decide. In an ideal world however... sometimes convenience is the most important factor. Time is the one commodity we can never have enough of imo. Most valuable factor

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:halo:
It's very satisfying ordering online especially at a discount (and using Rakuten to get cash back too) and getting it within a day or two. And the anticipation is exciting too I agree. Definitely easier than going to the store. Though occasionally I like shopping in person to feel and touch and try on what I am interested in...case in point I just bought a faux fur blue short jacket and without seeing it and trying it on in the store I wouldn't know I love it. I didn't even know I wanted something like this. Aka impulse purchase on my part. But it's so soft and fun and easy to wear. Not warm however. LOL.

bcbgmaxazriafauxfur.jpg

bcbgmaxazriajacket.jpg

Sweater weather is here @Asscherhalo_lover, enjoy your new sweaters and keep warm and cozy!

OMG, I love this sweater!!! I wish I was skinny enough to pull it off! LOL
My impulse purchases are almost always on Amazon Prime... that way I can get the rush of seeing them, then send them back a few days later when I realize they were a bad idea. :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another Amazon addict, right here... :shifty:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:halo:

OMG, I love this sweater!!! I wish I was skinny enough to pull it off! LOL
My impulse purchases are almost always on Amazon Prime... that way I can get the rush of seeing them, then send them back a few days later when I realize they were a bad idea. :halo:

I bet you would look great in this @msop04 It’s like butter.

And lol re Amazon and sending back. Good for you! I wish I would do this. Instead I usually just keep what I bought(I’m so lazy with returning) and then never wear some of the purchases. I’m so wasteful sometimes:( Though my nieces benefit from this now they are getting older and bigger.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazon is the devil! :evil2: My first year with Amazon prime I had packages coming in almost every day. It's just so EASY!

What's the bling purchase? Inquiring minds need to know...:mrgreen:

According to my app, I've had 158 deliveries this year.... and I don't know whether I feel a little embarrassed or proud. HA!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet you would look great in this @msop04 It’s like butter.

And lol re Amazon and sending back. Good for you! I wish I would do this. Instead I usually just keep what I bought(I’m so lazy with returning) and then never wear some of the purchases. I’m so wasteful sometimes:( Though my nieces benefit from this now they are getting older and bigger.

Missy, I send back about 30% of what I order. I even shop for clothes on Amazon. I just order different sizes and color to see what I like and send the rest back - easy peasy! ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to my app, I've had 158 deliveries this year.... and I don't know whether I feel a little embarrassed or proud. HA!!

Omg. Just checked our total number of amazon orders this year. No Bueno :o
Guess we are amazon addicts too. :shock:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another (sort of) impulse purchase. Just decided today I needed this but did research it for the past hour to make sure I was getting the best bang for my dollar. A super warm but lightweight jacket I can wear cycling in cooler temps. Hopefully it will work and be comfy cozy.

And just for those who may be curious.

I researched all I could find regarding warm jackets and this one seemed like a winner.

I have done my share of contributing to the economy today. ;))

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Honestly, I don't impulse shop anymore. So much jewellery and $$ clothing was purchased in past that way, and I've put that behavior behind me. My DH definitely impulse shops--especially with electronics and bike stuff.

cheers--Sharon

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night picked up the boots today since they were sold out online. Can't wait for the sweaters!

Attachments

• 20191021_192302.jpg
    20191021_192302.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 97

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My impulsiveness is directly related to my anxiety / PTSD (medication has helped immensely) and my Aspergers trait of intense focus on “things”. Since toddlerhood I have like to create collections of things and have an in-depth and intense appreciation of them. I have collected everything, as a child, from coloured foil chocolate wrappers to butterfly and moths (already deceased) and pieces of metal found on the footpath / roadway to adulthood where my collections include obviously jewellery and watches, timber boxes, porcelain, musical instruments, netsukes, Lalique etc.
I have a lot of stuff.
I’m not a hoarder as such, I don't have trouble divesting myself of items, to me it is definately all about the investigation and pursuit.
I believe I was always “anxious” or unsettled within myself. My brain seems to go at a million miles an hour sometimes, so intense focus brings me calm and buying “stuff” helps at the time. However I have little interest in most items after the “pursuit and capture”. Recognizing this means I now buy less meaningless stuff. I still enjoy my special items and still enjoy pursuing and investigation but I don’t need to have it all delivered to my house,

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I now basically live ontop of a large shopping mall, so I walk through department stores and all the usual beauty/apparel/resteraunt chains whenever I leave the house. It has massively dulled my enthusiasm for shopping, the stuff just looks super ho-hum. But I've made up for it by becoming much more enthused for trying all the speciality food stores that open up (even if they are complete gimmicks-- I.e. do I really need 7 different bubble tea shops beneath my house?). Also big on shopping on Korean ebay -- gmarket. Lol I am sure to buy a few useless things there every month. Was in Seoul a month and a half ago and that was a complete disaster too -- I barely fit in the taxi with all the bags I had, so I guess I have an Achilles shopping heel!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results