shape
carat
color
clarity

Impulse Purchase Results

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
The BB garnet arrived last night and I will have a photo shoot with it today and tomorrow in different light conditions, as my camera will allow. BB was nice enough to include a temp setting in a yellow-goldish color and some Garnet rough from Tanzania, which I thought was a fun touch.

I picked it up at my parent's house last night and I thought it was too dark out of the package, however, my father reminded me that the lighting in their house stinks and encouraged me to play with it before making a decision. So, I walked around with it in their house and tested it out. In some conditions, the stone demonstrated a subtle orange color. When I placed the stone placed near to a 100 watt bulb IRL, it displays color close to the photo online, maybe a bit darker, but the stone displayed an orange-red color. In the bathroom, where it was bright, it seem to glow red (not bright ruby red, but mediumish red). In other words, I could see evidence of the color shift, as BB stated in its description. In my apartment, lighting seemed to bring out the red in the stone. What I have also noticed is that colors in the room itself will influence the color the stone displays. My parent's bathroom has a cranberry/pinkish color scheme, which I think brought out the red. Their living room is void of red, but has more "earth tone" browns/beiges, resulting in the stone displaying more orange. Walls in my living room in my apartment are a red-orange color, hence the stone displayed a vibrant red/orange color. However, I suspect there is a problem with my theory, as the stone displayed a deep red in my bright white bathroom - perhaps light has more to do with the color shift then.

This afternoon, I placed the stone in direct sunlight and the red was quite strong, as the stone seemed to come alive. Though I have not taken it outside (too cold), I suspect the stone will perform very well. Additionally, I suspect it will do very well in retail store lighting. In indirect sunlight, in a partially sun filled room, the stone does display a med to dark red with flashes of orange through out, depending on how it catches the light. In other words, it does not look like a dark/lifeless stone when not in direct sunlight, as long as there is some sunlight available.

The cut is very interesting as light seems to "dance" inside of the stone (sorry, I do not know all of the correct terminology to descibe how light bounces through the stone). In direct sun, I saw countless flashes of fire, which I hope I will be able to capture with my camera. It probably would not be the stone of choice for lower light conditions, however. I am not an expert in any of this, so I am not sure what more I should expect from a $162 Malaya Garnet (7.3mm), with a BB cut. All in all, the stone has done a good job entertaining me! It should be noted that all observations were taken while the stone was in its temp setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omie,
It sounds like a well spent $162 for the garnet. Can''t wait to see your pictures.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, can''t wait to see pictures. Your description sounds a lot like my cuprite, which has firey red embers in it, and looks gorgeous in the sun.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Ok, here is a series of really bad photos...

None have been enhanced, just taken under various light conditions, which are noted. My photo editor has decided to be difficult today, so what you are viewing are copy/pastes of thumbnails. Any specs on the stone you might see is due to dust...

Please note, all are blurry, as I do not have IS on my camera...will try to borrow a friend's camera this weekend.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Direct Sun...

Garnet.Indirect.Sun.Omie.3.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Direct Sun...

Garnet.Direct.Sun.omie.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
With Flash...

Garnet.flash.omie.jpeg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Indirect Sun...

Garnet.Indirect.Sun.Omie.2.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Indirect Sun...

Garnet.Indirect.Sun.Omie.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Entry way (no sunlight) with hall light from top...

Garnet.Entry.Omie.2.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I am going to stop as these are really bad in terms of sharpness. However, the color is close to what I saw IRL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it''s very pretty from what I can see! Can''t wait to see sharper pictures.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Looks lovely and lively! Love to see more pics!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It''s a very pretty garnet.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
It looks really pretty, Omie! I can''t wait to see more pictures, especially daylight/outdoors pictures - I bet it''ll be incredible!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Omie - it looks STUNNING, I love the life you can see in some of the pictures - it just sparkles and its so pretty
30.gif
What a lovely memorial for your sweet fishie.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I was playing with my camera today, this one is better...not great, but better.

Garnet.Malaya.Omie.2.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Not so close up...

Garnet.Malaya.Omie.3.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Closer...

Garnet.Malaya.Omie.4.JPG

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Love the new pics omie - I can''t wait to see what you decide to do with this stone, it is truly a stunner
36.gif
36.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Garnet.Malaya.Omie.5.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 1:58:57 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Love the new pics omie - I can''t wait to see what you decide to do with this stone, it is truly a stunner
36.gif
36.gif
Thanks AG. I was playing with the settings on my camera and was able to do a bit better today. I just have to realize that my macro function is not as sophisticated as I would like it to be. At least I was able to improve my images.

Thanks!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
All new pictures were taken in bright light. Will try to get more shots in the evening.

Garnet.Malaya.Omie.6.JPG

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
A bit blurry, but interesting...

Garnet.Malaya.Omie.7.JPG

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty color! I love the yellow gold with it!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!

I went out and bought a new camera today, just got fed up with my old one. Will post pictures after I figure the darn thing out, as it has so many more options than my old one (it is very DSLR like).

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Sooo pretty, I LOVE RED!!
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a keeper!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Omie, once again it''s beautiful! Keep it - it looks like a ball of fire!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results