color
clarity

Important Clarification Pricescope Discounts & Commissions

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Dear Pricescope Community,

This pertains to recent discussions about Pricescope and remuneration.

1. We don’t make money on so-called “Pricescope Discounts.”
- We didn’t create the term. We don’t track their use, nor do we have a way to do that.

2. We don’t make sales commissions on the diamonds we list either.
- Again, we don’t track those sales. We only list the inventories of our vetted sponsors.

Pricescope was established before the current trend of “advice” sites tied to parent-sellers and paid for cookies, click-throughs and sales.

Our goal has always been to help, educate and provide resources to consumers to make an intelligent decision for their purchase. I am proud to say that we have an Amazing community that does just that and enjoys the Bling!

Update: 5-21-2014

Dear Pricescope Community ,

After careful consideration we have asked all vendors to discontinue using the term “Pricescope Discount.” While we certainly appreciate the spirit in which it has been offered, the trend of cookie-tracking for pay has brought with it the wrong perception about monetization and “kickbacks” to Pricescope.

PriceScope and it’s community are very important to us and therefore we feel these steps are necessary to protect and prevent such misunderstandings.

Thank you everyone for bringing this to our attention and for your understanding.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Re: Important Clarification Pricescope Discounts & Commissio

once again, I wish PS had a 'like' button! Thanks for clarifying for everyone! :))

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

This thread should get a pin up at the top.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

teobdl|1400200633|3673808 said:
+1 on that! :)

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock

Someone just asked in a topic why James Allen had so many referrals. I almost commented on that. His website is so easy to search and I like looking at the diamond spinning - you can see the inclusions if there is one. Also you can do an Advanced Search and narrow down what you want to search for easier. Yes, I like looking at White Flash videos & Good Old Gold Diamond ASET and other information but there is just something about that diamond spinning around....

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like!

Thank you, Andrey!

GeorgeStevens

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for clarifying. As I understand it, the bills are paid by advertising and inventory listings, and companies pay for advertising and inventory listings because a website's traffic generates sales. Nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Additionally, while you clarified in another thread that you do not allow anyone here to get an affiliate commission or referral fee, some of the vendors who advertise here run such affiliate programs and not all affiliates disclose their relationship properly, in my opinion. Readers should always do independent research and seek price comparisons from a variety of independent vendors before making a purchase on the basis of an anonymous recommendation.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

One additional level of transparency, in my opinion, might be for PS members who are also PS sponsors to have a badge that tags them as such. "Trade" is not enough. A PS sponsor has a larger stake in the conversation than a random person in the trade.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JulieN|1400203679|3673827 said:
Like!

Thank you, Andrey!

Another ' Like' from me, thanks Andrey!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the clarification.
OoohShiny said:
teobdl|1400200633|3673808 said:
+1 on that! :)
I agree

Lula

Ideal_Rock

GeorgeStevens|1400208837|3673892 said:
Thank you for clarifying. As I understand it, the bills are paid by advertising and inventory listings, and companies pay for advertising and inventory listings because a website's traffic generates sales. Nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Additionally, while you clarified in another thread that you do not allow anyone here to get an affiliate commission or referral fee, some of the vendors who advertise here run such affiliate programs and not all affiliates disclose their relationship properly, in my opinion. Readers should always do independent research and seek price comparisons from a variety of independent vendors before making a purchase on the basis of an anonymous recommendation.

Agree.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Good clarification Andre. Another +1 here.

Lula|1400242923|3674054 said:

Agree.

I agree. That is not good if affiliates are participating in discussions here and encouraging diamonds upon which they stand to profit. I have never had or ran such affiliate programs but I can see how this could get out of hand and seriously ... how would one even know if a poster was an affiliate or not? :sick:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

teobdl|1400209772|3673896 said:
One additional level of transparency, in my opinion, might be for PS members who are also PS sponsors to have a badge that tags them as such. "Trade" is not enough. A PS sponsor has a larger stake in the conversation than a random person in the trade.
A PS sponsor has a larger stake in the conversation than a random person in the trade
In what way, are you thinking?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rhino|1400250218|3674129 said:
Good clarification Andre. Another +1 here.

Lula|1400242923|3674054 said:

Agree.

I agree. That is not good if affiliates are participating in discussions here and encouraging diamonds upon which they stand to profit. I have never had or ran such affiliate programs but I can see how this could get out of hand and seriously ... how would one even know if a poster was an affiliate or not? :sick:
There are some technological tools that the administrators would have to help identify this kind of activity should it occur. While it is not necessarily precise, patterns develop that can be highly indicative.

With regard to affiliate sites, they are supposed to disclose their affiliations, but many do not and that lack of transparency is not good for the consumer. However, in terms of that particular type of activity happening here, it is probably not a factor as affiliates (in the strict sense of the word) would only get compensation when customers coming from their sites to the vendor site end up making a purchase. So, they would have to be on here steering people to their own sites and that is the easiest type of behavior for the admins to police. It would also be apparent to the community.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I apparently missed where this came up, but those of us who have been around certainly have always known this. But it is good that Andrey clarified for those who didn't know.

I am, however, confused about this "affiliate" idea. I am pretty familiar with these vendors and I cannot think of what someone is talking about when they say that one of the vendors has an affiliate business (other than Winks cz business that wouldn't be allowed as a topic here anyway). Furthermore, vendors can't recommend or even give criticism of another vendor's stones, so I am totally not getting what that comment was about.

MollyMalone said:
A PS sponsor has a larger stake in the conversation than a random person in the trade

I disagree with the initial post. PS vendors are clearly identified on the site. I happen to trust them more than a random member of the trade who I know nothing about. But it is very easy for newcomers to see who the PS vendors are if they are interested. Most of the PS vendors are busy and don't sit around posting here all day anyway!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1400251699|3674150 said:
I apparently missed where this came up, but those of us who have been around certainly have always known this. But it is good that Andrey clarified for those who didn't know.

I am, however, confused about this "affiliate" idea. I am pretty familiar with these vendors and I cannot think of what someone is talking about when they say that one of the vendors has an affiliate business (other than Winks cz business that wouldn't be allowed as a topic here anyway). Furthermore, vendors can't recommend or even give criticism of another vendor's stones, so I am totally not getting what that comment was about.

MollyMalone said:

I disagree with the initial post. PS vendors are clearly identified on the site. I happen to trust them more than a random member of the trade who I know nothing about. But it is very easy for newcomers to see who the PS vendors are if they are interested. Most of the PS vendors are busy and don't sit around posting here all day anyway!
DS, this thread actually got started here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/newbie-question.201808/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/newbie-question.201808/[/URL]

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was surprised, diamondseeker, by teobdl's proposition that sponsoring vendors be required to prominently display that status via a badge attached to their posts. Based on what else teobdl has posted recently on the general topic, I would have guessed that s/he would be a person who would argue to the contrary: that a special badge drawing attention to those vendors would give them an unfair advantage, makes for a less even playing field in forum discussions.

But I'd like to take this opportunity to give a huge THANK YOU to
* those vendors whose financial support makes this vast site possible, free of charge to the rest of us; there is so much more here on PS than Rocky Talk, even tho' a lot of people don't take advantage of all the resources
* those in the trade (sponsor or not) who share their wisdom, seasoned experience and perspectives (that are not all alike, which makes this even more fun-interesting) -- those are big pluses that most of us would not ordinarily have the benefit of, and
* the PriceScope administrators; running a forums web site is a big PIA (and thanks too for setting aside "space" for us pearl and colored stones lovers!)
:appl: Appreciatively ~ Molly

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone|1400254451|3674184 said:
I was surprised, diamondseeker, by teobdl's proposition that sponsoring vendors be required to prominently display that status via a badge attached to their posts. Based on what else teobdl has posted recently on the general topic, I would have guessed that s/he would be a person who would argue to the contrary: that a special badge drawing attention to those vendors would give them an unfair advantage, makes for a less even playing field in forum discussions.

But I'd like to take this opportunity to give a huge THANK YOU to
* those vendors whose financial support makes this vast site possible, free of charge to the rest of us; there is so much more here on PS than Rocky Talk, even tho' a lot of people don't take advantage of all the resources
* those in the trade (sponsor or not) who share their wisdom, seasoned experience and perspectives (that are not all alike, which makes this even more fun-interesting) -- those are big pluses that most of us would not ordinarily have the benefit of, and
* the PriceScope administrators; running a forums web site is a big PIA (and thanks too for setting aside "space" for us pearl and colored stones lovers!)
:appl: Appreciatively ~ Molly

+1000!!! Love the PS community from owners, to admins, to vendors, and members!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Texas Leaguer|1400254219|3674182 said:

MollyMalone said:

DS, this thread actually got started here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/newbie-question.201808/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/newbie-question.201808/[/URL]

Thanks, Bryan! I had not kept up with that long thread! Will take a look!

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006 said:
MollyMalone said:

My concern is not for PS regulars who have an understanding of who is who, and who works for what company.

The issue is that casual viewers wouldn’t know who is who because PS sponsors are not clearly identified on their posts. Perhaps the easiest fix would be a requirement for all those with a “trade” badge to put their company in their signature if they work for a PS sponsor.

My rationale that PS sponsors have a larger stake in the conversation is that they have paid to have their diamonds listed, their businesses and inventory are more often discussed on PS, and it's likely that a larger percentage of their business comes from those who have visited PS.

Without naming names, the themes that certain vendors tend to post about often revolve around the specific marketing angle they have pieced out for their diamonds vs other vendor's diamonds. I'm not saying that this is bad, wrong, immoral, etc. It is what it is. Additionally, it makes sense that a vendor with an interest in, for example, colored diamonds would have colored diamonds in their inventory... the same goes for cut precision, light performance, visual symmetry, whatever. But one needs to take their words with the knowledge that they also have a financial interest, beyond just a personal interest, in how such information is communicated and received. It doesn’t necessarily make their advice less valid.

Putting the issue of a vendor also being a diamond enthusiast aside, posting on PS is free marketing, regardless of intention, and the message communicated does have an impact on sales. In a private conversation with an employee from one PS vendor, this person literally said that they should post more to get more exposure and sales.

Why do I care about this? For one, I, like all of you, am interested in unbiased, truthful information about diamonds. But secondly, I have worked for a number of years very closely with academic hospitals and pharmaceutical companies. As much as those involved might deny it, financial stakes absolutely color people’s advice and actions, no matter how well-intentioned they are. There is a plethora of peer reviewed literature showing this. This is why every physician is required to disclose conflicts of interest in each publication and at the beginning of every conference talk they give. It only makes sense to put best practices forward here, as well, when good people’s thousands of dollars are on the line.

Like most of you, I trust trade people’s advice more than pretty much anyone else’s advice because they are deeply knowledgeable with years of experience in the industry. But I am also cognizant of the fact that their advice is not completely unbiased. Knowledge of this bias, in the form of readily disclosing the company that they work for to any reader, goes a long way in creating transparency. My revised recommendation is to require trade people and their affiliates to put the company they work for in their signature if the company is a PS sponsor.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

A sponsor badge is not a good idea in my opinion.
On other boards sponsors have special privileges over other trade members, they do not here and it would be a bad idea to imply that they do.

The only trade members who have slightly different rules in practice are appraisers who have no stake in any sale.

That is the way it should be.
I very strongly hate being restrained by the restrictive trade rules vs the freedom I had as a consumer to the point that I often consider leaving the trade, but giving trade members the same freedom as consumers would be a disaster.

Andrey is very concerned with keeping the PS neutral in any sales that arise from this site.
He works very hard to make sure it is not being abused.
In the past PS has kicked off paying advertisers who were found to be breaking the rules and they will do so again if they have to.
That helps a lot to keep things in line.
I will not go into details but there are many different things in place to help detect abuse, but the best defense is consumers who keep an eye on things and report those that they think are abusing the site for investigation.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

To be clear, I am not suggesting restriction but rather disclosure. In fact, I happen to think that being able to comment on other vendors items is not a terrible idea, so long as there is disclosure about who they are. Let others decide what is a fair critique or not and have an open debate about it. Jerks will be run off and those who are providing fair and valid points will be welcomed to provide more.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

teobdl|1400268604|3674345 said:
Knowledge of this bias, in the form of readily disclosing the company that they work for to any reader, goes a long way in creating transparency. My revised recommendation is to require trade people and their affiliates to put the company they work for in their signature if the company is a PS sponsor.
I'm wondering why you would exempt non-sponsors from the disclosure requirement; I don't see any reason to assume that they are free of "bias". And were I a non-sponsoring vendor, I would not be happy with such a policy, for it would mean sponsors get increased name recognition with every post they make & I do not.

Plus, how does the company name alone further useful, consumer awareness of "bias"? I could see the value of the company name appearing below post signatures if self-promotion were permitted. E.g., in response to a recommendation for a well-cut, 1.5 ct marquise, G-H in color, SI1 or better, a vendor -- who posts under the name of Mother Theresa -- steers the inquirer to several stones listed on MarquisesRUs.com, his own company. But that's contrary to PS policy; have you seen m/any violations of that?

As a consumer, I'd actually prefer a policy whereby everyone in the trade had to put their d/b/a or employer's name & web site link as a signature line in their posts. Because that would make it easiest for me to find them on the 'net, learn more about them.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

teobdl|1400270085|3674357 said:
To be clear, I am not suggesting restriction but rather disclosure. In fact, I happen to think that being able to comment on other vendors items is not a terrible idea, so long as there is disclosure about who they are. Let others decide what is a fair critique or not and have an open debate about it. Jerks will be run off and those who are providing fair and valid points will be welcomed to provide more.
I hear where you are coming from teobdl. And I think maintaining a healthy and vibrant community of integrity is everyone's goal. To some extent I think I disagree with your last statement though,and I think it is important. In my opinion the jerks tend to run the good folks away. Ok, so a little drama from time to time can keep things lively and stimulate discussion. But generally people don't want to spend their time reading unpleasant and unhelpful posts.

Trades people do have to be careful not to cross the line. Sometimes they do tiptoe up to it, and sometimes go over. But I think they police themselves pretty well. When they take liberties, the moderators will step in. Trades people definitely have a positive role to play and you don't want to make it too uncomfortable for them or their participation will decline to the detriment of the community.

I do think consumers should tap multiple sources and get different viewpoints because, as you say, everyone introduces their own bias to the conversation, whether it is just personal preference or economic in nature.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

MollyMalone said:

There are sites, such as "The Truth About Diamonds" and "Nice Ice" that are solely for the purpose of driving sales to vendors with which they have affiliate links.

Some few, like Todd Gray of Nice Ice, readily disclose that they are affiliate sites and will have some verbiage when linking to a diamond or website like "Big Scary Affiliate Link" so that there is no doubt that they will be compensated if they send a client to you. Todd, like many of us here on PriceScope, is a cut snot and sends a lot of people to the sites that are extremely cut oriented. It may be inappropriate to mention them here, but you already know who they are so I do not need to.

Others pretend to be informational sites and never disclose that in addition to giving out information they are also taking in commissions when a sale is made after someone has visited the information site. I prefer Todd's approach. Not only is it the law, it is the right way to do things.

For what it is worth, my other business is affiliated with me as in related, but neither asks nor gives referral fees. Winfield's LLC is the parent company of both of my companies, so both That Sight That Shall Not Be Named and High Performance Diamonds are affiliated with each other via Winfield's LLC and are actually separate entities under the parent company. That is an entirely different relationship than an affiliate getting commissions relationship.

Also for what it is worth. Any Trade person here who has diamonds listed in the sort is a Trusted Vendor and is privileged to pay a fee to be here. There are many who come knocking that are not allowed to post their diamonds here. In this protection of the community here I believe Andrey has gone above and beyond the pale by refusing to accept fees from anyone who does not meet his high standards.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wink|1400275348|3674429 said:

MollyMalone said:

There are sites, such as "The Truth About Diamonds" and "Nice Ice" that are solely for the purpose of driving sales to vendors with which they have affiliate links.

Some few, like Todd Gray of Nice Ice, readily disclose that they are affiliate sites and will have some verbiage when linking to a diamond or website like "Big Scary Affiliate Link" so that there is no doubt that they will be compensated if they send a client to you. Todd, like many of us here on PriceScope, is a cut snot and sends a lot of people to the sites that are extremely cut oriented. It may be inappropriate to mention them here, but you already know who they are so I do not need to.

Others pretend to be informational sites and never disclose that in addition to giving out information they are also taking in commissions when a sale is made after someone has visited the information site. I prefer Todd's approach. Not only is it the law, it is the right way to do things.

For what it is worth, my other business is affiliated with me as in related, but neither asks nor gives referral fees. Winfield's LLC is the parent company of both of my companies, so both That Sight That Shall Not Be Named and High Performance Diamonds are affiliated with each other via Winfield's LLC and are actually separate entities under the parent company. That is an entirely different relationship than an affiliate getting commissions relationship.

Also for what it is worth. Any Trade person here who has diamonds listed in the sort is a Trusted Vendor and is privileged to pay a fee to be here. There are many who come knocking that are not allowed to post their diamonds here. In this protection of the community here I believe Andrey has gone above and beyond the pale by refusing to accept fees from anyone who does not meet his high standards.

Wink

Thank you so much for explaining the affiliate issue, Wink. I guess I still don't get who he was talking about, since I am not aware of any PS vendors having affiliate sites in that sense.

I 100% agree with your last paragraph as well!!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Wink, this was really informative, thanks so much for posting this for all of us to know. I find it wonderful that the Admins actually say no to some that want to advertise and they do not find that they fit in this forum for whatever reason but I think often it has to do with the philosophies of a company and ethics. I will refuse to work with most diamond wholesalers/cutters out there. I have learnt from experience in other businesses that it really pays off to be selective and it should also give consumers peace of mind.

Many things are still not clear to me as a trade person/vendor. I have read and reread the policies. People have asked about me in posts and I did not really dare to respond in detail whereas I love to talk about what I love but I thought that would be considered too much self advertising now I read in the policies that it would have been ok. I also read among policies that trade members can post signatures but I thought that it was not allowed and for a reason. Now I can post my signature OVi:))) tried and did not work.

What I do not understand is why posters find it hard to find out about us trade people. Like I have said after I really liked yours posts Wink I went to your profile and read up about you, normally you can find one's website there right away, so I think it is easy to identify and do research about trade members, no?

Also, I am not sure I agree with what was said about us trade members posting on threads that are particularly interesting to us because we are motivated by potential financial gain. I post on threads about colored diamonds or pear shaped diamonds not because I carry them but because I am particularly interested in them. Many times when I posted, people wanted advice about specific stones they already selected and anyhow I did not even have my website up on this site at that point. I do not see how it benefits me if I help someone with stones they selected from other vendors. I post because I want to help and because I am particularly interested in the topic.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Wink|1400275348|3674429 said:

Okay, I'm going to try and clarify this without stepping over the line, because I don't feel that Nice Ice exists solely for the purpose of driving sales to vendors with which I have an affiliate agreement, Nice Ice is and has always been about teaching people about diamonds, answering questions, and the sales follow... there are a lot of days when my inbox is filled with people who are asking questions about diamonds which are offered by vendors who I don't have an affiliate agreement with, and if the diamonds meet my selection criteria, I'll openly recommend they buy the diamond from that vendor and obviously I'm not compensated for that... there are vendors here on PS who have affiliate programs, who I'm not affiliated with, but whom benefit in terms of sale from my involvement on a regular basis, I like to think that it all comes out in the wash... help enough people get what they want, and you get what you want, and all that.

Now if somebody contacts me for assistance in finding a diamond, and I can find what they're looking for within the inventory of one of the vendors who I do have a working relationship with, by all means I'm going to recommend that diamond, and I am compensated by the vendor for my part in driving the business to them, but it's not as clear cut as it might seem because in many cases the client has been directed to that vendors site prior to my involvement and credit for the sale will likely go to whatever site directed them to that vendor first... It should be noted that working with an affiliate does not change the customers purchase price, and sometimes it even brings an added discount because of coupons or enticements that are provided privately by the vendors to encourage customers to buy from them.

And yes, I openly and blatantly declare that I have affiliate relationships with the vendors who I work closely with, and if you've ever received email from me, it is clearly disclosed in the notice that appears beneath my signature... Not everybody works this way, but it's the approach that makes sense to me. Interestingly enough, a lot of the email which I receive from people includes a reminder for me to provide them with an affiliate link because they want to ensure that I'm compensated for my time and efforts, and they follow up their purchase by letting me know that they mentioned my input to the vendor... Of course a lot of the correspondence that I have with people is rather lengthy, 45 - 60 messages back and forth, so perhaps they feel that I've earned it.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

What, you're going to argue with my slightly off explanation of your raison d'être and completely ignore my nice compliment about you being a cut snot?

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Wink|1400278861|3674474 said:
What, you're going to argue with my slightly off explanation of your raison d'être and completely ignore my nice compliment about you being a cut snot?

You know, I was actually trying to ignore that part of your commentary... One more nickname to add to my repertoire, first there was "Diamond Nazi" which one of the diamond cutters slurred at me after he asked me to show him how I flip through lab reports while sitting in his booth at the JCK Show, apparently it was all he could come up with after watching me toss something like 40 AGS Ideal lab reports to the side, while simultaneously asking to see the four or five that remained of interest.

Then one of them started referring to me as the "Golden Child" and our very own Paul Slegers decides to introduce me to a group of people as "our resident Diamond Snob" which is "quite something" coming from him! And now you call me a SNOT?!?! yea, I was totally going to ignore that one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results