shape
carat
color
clarity

Impending purchase! 2.3 carat: Which would you buy? Plz help

ch382

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a diamond.. After 9m of heart-ache and research I'm stuck on two choices.

Both 2.35 I's.

1. http://www.bluenile.com/au/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD06308993
HCA Score 1.3
IdealScope ASET and image available here https://goo.gl/cjPJf9
Diamond photo here: https://goo.gl/MEf5VF
Certificate: http://goo.gl/kar62y

2. https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-2-35-Carat-I-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-ATS9Q6
HCA Score 0.9
Image and Video and Cert available (in link above) but NO IdealScope or ASET.
Certificate: https://goo.gl/B8DC24

I'm so torn- cos I really thought the Bluenile one was amazing, but I have a video for the enchanted diamond one and it's got a better HCA score. It looks "white" in the video and sparkly. The only concern is the inclusions. As you can see, it's a VS2 and I'm worried about the clouds on the table.. Especially given the "big" dotted lines. I'm being told it's eye clean, but I wanted to pick your expert brains on which you guys would think would be the better purchase.

The problem with the Enchanted one is the vendor has NO other imagery; no idealScope, no ASET- So I can't trust it's light return... I'd be going solely off the HCA score and video.. :/

I don't want to pay extra for something I can't see (with the Bluenile being VVS2), but I do have the IdealScope and ASET for the BlueNile, and as far as I can see (correct me if I'm mistaken) It looks like a good buy? Do i skip the VS2 in Enchanted? Cos it does have a better HCA score.. Would it not be worth the chance it's not eye clean? or Milky??

Please please help guys.. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Charlie.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Impending purchase! 2.3 carat: Which would you buy? Plz

The ED diamond doesn't have a better score than the BN stone. The HCA isn't supposed to be used that way. It's just a rejection tool so anything under 2 is worthy of further investigation. The BN stone scores a 1.3, so it's well within the range of investigating.

If you want to play it safe and you feel you'll have peace of mind, then go with the one that has the performance images. They both look very nice. Occasionally a VS2 can have inclusions that someone who is really looking can see especially in a larger diamond but that usually not the case. The ED video looks pretty clean to me on first pass. Of course you won't have any question with a VVS2 if that's a concern.

Sorry I'm not much help. The BN stone has a slightly higher CA of 35.5, but it's crown height is the same as the ED diamond (which is 15.5%). I couldn't see the BN stone's price from the link, but maybe choose based on which vendor's settings you like better?? Or maybe you're having it set somewhere else so that won't help you! Can also choose based on price or where on the I spectrum each stone falls. If one is more of a high I (closer to a low H) then that could help sway you.

ch382

Rough_Rock

Hey mate,

Thanks a lot for the comment.. How would i be able to track which is the "Better" coloured "I"? One has a video and the other has an image, so it's quite hard.

The BN stone is about $2k more expensive, so technically the ED would be a bargain, if I could guarantee it'd be eye clean, NON-Milky and would not have an effect on brilliance.

If a lower HCA score doesn't mean a better cut, then why even go further lower than 2? #curious? Is that a general thing?

Thanks again!

ch382

Rough_Rock

Going off your other comment, I'm gonna assume you're trolling.. But like the other thread said, you save literally thousands online nowhere near the hundreds that you claim. Also the thread you like is comparing a GIA to a EGL. Like comparing apples to oranges.. This is nothing like that..

Pricescope4lyfeJK|1449471045|3958460 said:
ch382|1449469868|3958458 said:
How would i be able to track which is the "Better" coloured "I"?

This is why you don't buy online. At the jeweler you can compare side by side and make your decision. You can bargain in the store (showing them your online diamonds) and they'll bring the price down for you. I got a $1000 discount going this route.

If a lower HCA score doesn't mean a better cut, then why even go further lower than 2? #curious? Is that a general thing?

Truth is, nobody seems to know. Holloway was just some guy trying to make sense of the madness. Check out this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-a-diamond-opinion-on-ja-or-other-recommendations.217715/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-a-diamond-opinion-on-ja-or-other-recommendations.217715/[/URL]

They tell this pour guy that HCA 2.7 or 5 is acceptable. It just depends who you talk to.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pricescope4lyfeJK|1449471045|3958460 said:
How would i be able to track which is the "Better" coloured "I"?

This is why you don't buy online. At the jeweler you can compare side by side and make your decision. You can bargain in the store (showing them your online diamonds) and they'll bring the price down for you. I got a $1000 discount going this route.

Truth is, nobody seems to know. Holloway was just some guy trying to make sense of the madness. Check out this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-a-diamond-opinion-on-ja-or-other-recommendations.217715/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-a-diamond-opinion-on-ja-or-other-recommendations.217715/[/URL]

They tell this pour guy that HCA 2.7 or 5 is acceptable. It just depends who you talk to.

Did you notice though, that the poster giving that wrong advice was a newbie like yourself with 41 posts only, it was hardly Garry Holloway or one of the prosumers on this site. You have mentioned this twice now and you never noticed that? So why should we believe that what you say is correct, provide the evidence or find another subject to troll about on another board please!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Even if you do save money at a local jeweller that is good, some bricks and mortar stores try their best to give good customer service, in fact most online vendors Pricescopers use have local stores too. If you are a jeweller read about some of the smaller businesses here and think about joining us as a trade person. I would start by reading Wink's posts, to see what customer service should be like.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dear OP, very clever of you to have identified the troll right off. Stick with he advice of actual PSers and you'll be fine. As to BN v. ED, if you don't like how the BN stone looks like to you, you can always send it back. I've done that before, no harm no foul. Beautiful stones at a reasonable price can be had. Good luck!!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Sorry everyone, we have an old member who keeps coming back uninvited after they were unable to follow our rules and given multiple chances to do so. Apologies for the interference.

ch382

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone.

What do you think the likelihood that the ED VS2 is completely eye clean?
Cheers!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is the ED stone in house? In other words, can you have a gemologist pull it for you and take a look in real life? If it is in house, you may be able to get an additional video of it.

I've had several VS2 diamonds and none have had the slightest bit of cloudiness or milkiness. That's not to say all VS2 stones won't have any negative effects of course. What's ED's return policy? Do you have 30 days to inspect it? Do they charge a re-stocking fee? If they have a nice liberal return policy it may be a nice option to buy it and see for yourself.

What setting are you thinking of for the diamond?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ch382 said:
Hey mate,

Thanks a lot for the comment.. How would i be able to track which is the "Better" coloured "I"? One has a video and the other has an image, so it's quite hard.

The BN stone is about $2k more expensive, so technically the ED would be a bargain, if I could guarantee it'd be eye clean, NON-Milky and would not have an effect on brilliance.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. If you look at the plot when you plug in the numbers you'll see a range for BIC, TIC, and FIC and that corresponds to where below 2 the stone lands.

I forgot that BN doesn't have images so unless you can afford to buy both diamonds and do a side by side comparison you can't really know if one is a high I or a low I before purchasing. Guess that wasn't a very helpful suggestion after all!

alamana

Shiny_Rock

ch382|1449521806|3958676 said:
Thanks everyone.

What do you think the likelihood that the ED VS2 is completely eye clean?
Cheers!

Have you used the ED chat feature? When I bought my diamond from them I chatted with them quite a bit through their online chat feature, and they were able to tell me things about the stone I eventually bought even though it wasn't in-house because they had cutter's notes.

ch382

Rough_Rock

Hi All, thank you all for comments.

I've bought the ED diamond and will wait to see how it goes. It's got a better cut score (0.9), and 100 score on the ED tool. Not to mention i've saved ~2k for the same size stone..

Joshua from ED who i've spoken to has promised to check it over for eye-cleanliness and milkyness, but from the video and the photo it looks good :) *fingers crossed*..

ED has a gr8 policy. 30 days return and no fees both ways.

See how we go! Wish me luck.

As for setting, Im straining my brain! She likes solitaire but she wants side diamonds..
I might start a new thread.. :)

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you did the right thing and I'm betting it'll be nice and sparkly with no milkiness. Post pictures when you get it!!

ch382

Rough_Rock

Will do :) Thanks J!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results