shape
carat
color
clarity

Impartial Brilliance Scope Results

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I do not understand why GemEx is giving up the rental $$ and recalling these machines.

Did they suddenly find their conscience and decide that a few bad vendor apples were spoiling the entire barrel? Were they surprised that their machine was being manipulated (either fairly or fraudently) by vendors as a sales tool? Did they just figure out that the variation and repeatability of measurements makes the output less valuable? Seems hard to believe.

Are they so vain to think that the BS has so firmly ensconced itself in the industry that GemEx can make it so that you must come to them if you want a BS reading taken? I imagine that vendors like barry are aleady on the fence as to whether the thing is worth it or not. Maybe GemEx truly wants to be on the honorable-but-not-so-popular "science" side of things rather than be bogged down at the retail sales end.

Too bad Todd can't post over on DT. It would be interesting to see Brad and Todd discuss GemEx and the BS. I find it most interesting that Brad has a big "uh, no comment" to StevL's query's on the BS.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
RA,

That kind of took me by surprise too. All he had to do was call Gemex and get the facts. Instead he kind of poked at another vendor without getting the facts which he would have had no problem getting and pointing out any incorrect information that may have been posted.

Oh well, we shall see later this year what Gemex has decided.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 5/17/2003 10:54:18 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

Too bad Todd can't post over on DT. It would be interesting to see Brad and Todd discuss GemEx and the BS. I find it most interesting that Brad has a big "uh, no comment" to StevL's query's on the BS.

----------------

But Todd's not qualified to discuss GemEx or the BS... We don't have a BS unit, nor is it likely that we will have one because of the changes that GemEx seems intent on making to their marketing plan. We have mixed feelings about their intent... We think it admirable that GemEx recognized they had a problem with some of the dealers, but we think that they are punishing honest dealers by taking the machines away from everybody when they should be focusing on reprimanding the few that are abusing the priviledge of having a machine. It is likely that their decision to remove the units from the hands of the retailers who operate their businesses with integrity will result in a rapid deterioration of the support network which has built the necessity of the machine to the current state that the company enjoys and then it will fall from public grace into Never Never Land... Just a prediction, only time will tell... It could be that GemEx is simply tired of the dealers providing customers with verbal results and not actually paying to have scans registered, they charge the retailers both for use of the machine and for each scan that is registered - it is definitely not an inexpensive machine to have and operate... We would still be willing to make the jump if GemEx changes their minds with regards to retail use of the machine, but we're not about to send our entire inventory to GemEx for scanning at $35.00 a pop PLUS the cost of insured shipping... And the "really" funny thing is that they told us that they're not insured for the diamonds while they are in their possession... AS IF!!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was just reading the thread over there on DT and thought this question deserved an answer as posed by Dave Atlas.

How does the BrillianceScope tell if the diamond it is reading is the one that the vendor is offering for sale with the report that has been generated?

Here is where the 2nd opinion comes in handy.

Is there an internal measurment of the stone or some sort of fingerprint of the stone? I'd love to know....

Yes there is a finger print. Currently the only other Light analysis that can confirm and show this finger print is the LightScope. Diamonds will display a certain finger print or optical signature under LightScope that currently can not be seen or photographed with any other viewer or device that I know of. These optical signatures (fingerprints) display not just light return/leakage but the intensity of that light return which directly correlate to BrillianceScope results. A key feature of this fingerprint within H&A diamonds is the cutting/tweaking of the minor facets and their optical impact upon the brilliance of the stone. One of these key features being the tweaking of the lower girdles and stars (while it also shows results of tweaking the upper girdles as well). These fingerprints will be featured on our page of the minor facets once I've collected all the data and graphics necessary for me to teach on the subject. Here is one of the graphics I will be using to demonstrate this. Both of these diamonds have identical crown/pavilion/table data. One diamond exhibits more pale reds under the table and reduced or eliminated hot spots. Both stones have completely different BrillianceScope results. The primary differences between the 2 stones are obviously in the minor facet arrangement.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
Rhino

tweakedHa.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Currently the only other Light analysis that can confirm and show this
finger print is the LightScope.
-----------

Rhino, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the only person in the world that has this "LightScope"?

You're driving me crazy with "the LightScope can do this, the LightScope can do that", yet nobody else has access to one.

Seems to me if you're going to use it as a key instrument in your marketing, it should be reproducible by others. Kind of like how you're talking about an independent appraiser verifying BrillianceScope results.

How's anybody going to be able to verify your LightScope images?

Market the darn thing, will ya? Then you can drive around in a Mercedes like Garry.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Look out for an email from me Rich. I do think appraisers should have it & use it. I'll discuss this with the rest of my family and let you know how soon I'll be able to get this to ya.

Peace,

Rhino

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have bought this thread forward so it can be read by those following the
"Bscope callibration" thread.

The results scaled off the two BScope's for the same diamond are:
White light 3.3% difference
Colored light 0.0% difference
scintillation 8.3% difference

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results