shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m torn between two settings for a cushion....please help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
These are the two settings I like the most for my cushion which is a L to W ratio of 1.14, so a little elongated-looking.

I am having a tough time choosing. I will not be wearing a wedding band with either setting.

I thought I would see what the PS group thought. Thanks for your input!

Setting # 1 Split shank halo
Setting # 2 Roundy-band halo

ETA: Pics below...I tried to create a poll and it didn't work.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want to wear a WB I love a good split shank!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I did something wrong...I can''t attach pic---plus I was trying to create a poll. I don''t know what I did wrong!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, here''s the Setting #1 Split Shank Halo

SplitShankTopazRing.jpg

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Now, Setting #2 Roundy-band halo

ovalsetting030707.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
dianne, I like the split shank.
the other one is too loopy for my tastes,
the split shank seems more classic.
I love an elongated cushion, they are so pretty.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
The split shank. The other one has too much going on.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
split shank all the way!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hands down the split shank, love it!!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
another vote for the split shank...

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Split shank all the way!

brenn4423

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with all other posts... its seems to be unanimous that the split shank is the way to go
face1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Split shank!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
You know if you really liked that whole loopy look, you could go with a three stone split shank. Like with some traps or moon cuts next to the cushion.
41.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''m the only one who is torn...I like both. But I do wish the split shank''s two shanks were further apart and maybe more curved. Do you want the shanks to be more curved or do you prefer the look of the one you posted?

I think the split shank is the safest bet, especially if you can''t try anything similar to the roundy band halo on. But I think both will be gorgeous!

Sorry I''m not so helpful! I''m usually more decisive than this!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
SOo... I was bored again...

dianne_sketch.jpg

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
eegad that''s huge! sorry about that!

dianne_sketch1.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like split shank number 1 the best. The other designs shadow the center stone rather than highlight it.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
or this? Other options if u like that curvy-ness aspect..

I personally like the plain split shank, maybe with fishtail pave. It always looks really classy.

dianne_sketch2.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 2:48:49 AM
Author: curiopotter

or this? Other options if u like that curvy-ness aspect..

I personally like the plain split shank, maybe with fishtail pave. It always looks really classy.

This design is lovely!! You might want to try to photoshop a version in on your hand though. Depending on the size of your stone, you''d want to get a sense of how much of the design you would see on your hand.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
If she likes it I can always take it into autoCAD or draw it with better proportions using my jewler''s ruler. 2am here, and it''s lights out for me!

Let me know if you like it Dianne.. I''m out of school for spring break so I''d be happy to spend some time helping.

:)

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone! Wow! Thanks so much for the responses.

I have to admit that when I messed up trying to create a poll on this post I gave up and went to bed. I am just taking a peek this morning before work to see if anyone responded. I love both looks and I feel like there is a tug of war going on in my head. I can see why most think the loopy may be too much....plus the picture is the size of a small country--I really did try to reduce it.

Curio--I would LOVE for you to create the drawing with traps and the last one with the criss-cross band. (I don''t ask for much, do I?
17.gif
) Photoshop, CAD...however you wish. I wish I were only half this creative! I know this must take a lot of time but, if you are really bored, I would love your help...again. I can''t wait to see!
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
i vote for #2. I''ve seen plenty of split shanks and I''ll almost always vote for something different :) Plus, as you know from your other thread, I just really like it!!!!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 9:57:32 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
i vote for #2. I''ve seen plenty of split shanks and I''ll almost always vote for something different :) Plus, as you know from your other thread, I just really like it!!!!
Hey Cehra....Can I beat something to death or what?! Well, there may be more to vote on once curiopotter does her Photoshop/CAD magic on the settings she drew as I think her suggestions are gorgeous. I want something I will love every day and for a very long time.

Eventually, I am going to be ready for the white coat with the really long arms so I can "hug" myself in the mental ward. I''ll remain optimistic, though...I will take the designs with me and sit down with my therapist to decide....lol!
9.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I love your sketch with the trapezoid halo sides! Beautiful!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like both options and I am torn. I love the split shank, but when Irina photoshopped the 2nd one on a hand, I thought that was beautiful and unique. So my vote is for #2!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 3:00:02 AM
Author: curiopotter
If she likes it I can always take it into autoCAD or draw it with better proportions using my jewler''s ruler. 2am here, and it''s lights out for me!

Let me know if you like it Dianne.. I''m out of school for spring break so I''d be happy to spend some time helping.

:)

Hey Curiopotter, great drawings! You really have a talent!

Maybe this helps for quick rendering of stones. a trick I learned was when drawing melee that is too small to draw facets, but to give it a diamond look, draw a star in it. Kind of like the 5 sided stars you draw without lifting your pencil...? (I call it the loopy star)

Also, when drawing center stones like rounds, the best trick to complicated faceting for brilliant crowns is a quick method where you draw two opposing curves on the round, like a tennis ball. Then turn it 90 degrees and do it again. It will be like a diamond within the circle, but the edges of the diamond shape curve in instead of being straight. Then turning that same diamond shape 90 degrees draw that curved line diamond (or double tennis ball) again. In the end those diamonds at 90'' from eachother should form a general look of a RBC crown, and to get real professional, you can add dimension by shading, and using perspective.

For Princess cuts, it''s another story. Draw the square outline. Then from the corners, intersecting them evenly at 45'', draw a line toward the center about 1/4 of the way. Repeat on all corners. Then diagonally draw from each terminating 45'' line up to the corner opposite to the corner it radiated from. Repeat for all 45'' lines to the opposing corners. Of course these are quick and dirty sketching tricks for faceting on the stones.

I hope I explained it... I hope it helps! ;-)

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Nicrez, Thanks for the suggestions and compliment! I have a really weird combination of studies in college, which included a major in ceramics with minor in jewelry making, a huge interest in illustration, and then a switch of degree/career plan to the Architecture school.

Dianne, I''ll get started on some drawings for you when I get home tonight, and hopefully I''ll get something done tomorrow for you. I really like the split shank, but that last drawing i sketched is growing on me too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results