shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m so bummed - my recut stone got damaged in the mail!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi cellentani

I don''t recut stones myself, but I would be happy to include your damaged stone in my next shipment for faceting (and repair) in China. Once or twice a year, I send off my smaller material and various rough that I won''t ever get to. There would be no cost for you, I''d just include it with the rest of my shipment.

You''d have to wait several months probably, I''d need to get my package organized for shipping, by the end of summer or early fall. The turn around time for faceting is actually very short. I''ve had repair work done like this with absolute excellent results - I wouldn''t recommend this if I thought it wouldn''t turn out okay. There would probably be minimal weight loss on your stone and the angles would change very little - just my guess from your photo. You won''t know for sure until you get your stone back though.

You might also ask some of the other cutters who are mentioned regularly on this board, mail them direct and describe the damage (Tell them you are a Pricescope member, it should carry a lot of weight.)

Regards,

Jeff

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2009 9:14:52 AM
Author: Jeffrey Hunt
Hi cellentani

I don't recut stones myself, but I would be happy to include your damaged stone in my next shipment for faceting (and repair) in China. Once or twice a year, I send off my smaller material and various rough that I won't ever get to. There would be no cost for you, I'd just include it with the rest of my shipment.

You'd have to wait several months probably, I'd need to get my package organized for shipping, by the end of summer or early fall. The turn around time for faceting is actually very short. I've had repair work done like this with absolute excellent results - I wouldn't recommend this if I thought it wouldn't turn out okay. There would probably be minimal weight loss on your stone and the angles would change very little - just my guess from your photo. You won't know for sure until you get your stone back though.

You might also ask some of the other cutters who are mentioned regularly on this board, mail them direct and describe the damage (Tell them you are a Pricescope member, it should carry a lot of weight.)

Regards,

Jeff
Wow, Jeff, thanks for the offer. My stone has very little actual value, more sentimental value, and it's probably not worth sending all the way to China. I've contacted the cutter about a fix, so we'll see how things work out. I appreciate your taking the time to post, though, very thoughtful of you. How is your Sri Lanka trip planning going - still slated for next year? Sounds fascinating and very exciting!

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/20/2009 9:57:35 AM
<

Wow, Jeff, thanks for the offer. My stone has very little actual value, more sentimental value, and it''s probably not worth sending all the way to China. I''ve contacted the cutter about a fix, so we''ll see how things work out. I appreciate your taking the time to post, though, very thoughtful of you. How is your Sri Lanka trip planning going - still slated for next year? Sounds fascinating and very exciting!

Hi, It''s really no problem to include your gem with the package that I''ll be sending out. I usually mail two day express when I''m shipping and overnight when they mail the package back. It''s quite fun to track the package from China. Hopefully the cutter will fix your stone for you without a problem. Given the sentimental value shipping off to China for repair might be just the thing you need, it won''t cost a dime either. - Except to send me your stone in the first place.

The Sri Lanka Trip is still in the works and it''s open to anyone who wants to go. Keep in mind it''s 22 hours on the plane. It''s an amazing country and I highly recommend it. Personally, about 1/2 of my time will be spent on gemstones the other 1/2 touring around with my 13 year old daughter. This will be our second trip.

Jeff

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Jeff, I may not be able to refuse this second offer. I''ll contact you through your website. Thanks again for your generosity!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff,
Your offer to Cellentani is beyond generous.
Celle,
I’m so sorry about the topaz. The way I package my stone is in the same square plastic case, bubble wrapped and taped down multiple times to the inside of the cardboard box. I have not heard of any damage to the case if done like that. Taping down the box helps with the package shifting or making a noise should anyone decide to shake it to figure out what’s inside.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip Chrono - I''m definitely going to take some extra precautions from now on! I was really surprised to hear that my gem jar got cracked, and I''m thinking a box is definitely the way to go.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
The whole issue is odd in my book. I have shipped numerous min. specs. in the mail some extremely fragile..lots and lots of specimens and rough and never had one issure whatsoever. Gemjar gets cracked, which is possible, but still strange because you have to really toss it around in the mail to crack one. Now the topaz, for that to break I would think it would pretty much have to be stepped on or forcibly rammed or jammed into the ground or something metal and hard. Topaz is not only a hard stone but also a tough stone. I think what we might have here is a disgruntled postal employee..LOL. Poor stone was probably put at the bottom of the mail truck stack and the neighbor''s lead bar collection being shipped in the 70 pound flat-rate box was dropped right on top. Good thing it wasn''t a beryl of some sort or more than likely all you would have gotten back would be dust. Still sucks. I use lots of cotton batting to quadruple wrap every spec. or stone I mail. Anything real fragile goes in a box quadruple wrapped in batting with bubble wrap on the outside then in a bubble wrapped mailer or in a newspaper packed box. Newpaper works great as a shock absorber if you pack it in real tight into the box you are mailing leaving a little cubby hole in the middle..always have lots of newspaper around too.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about your stone
7.gif
It really looked like a nice recut!

LOL-- about using Pads and diapers!!!

Quick question-- what cut did you ask him to do for your stone? It is a really nice shape. Is this a certain cut he does and has a name for it?

Thats so great he is going to make things right for you-- I''m Excited to see what you end up with-- and I hope he sends the next one in a box
2.gif

Until then--- what do u think you will do with this stone?

Gotgold

Rough_Rock
Funny story on packaging..

My mother purchased a brooch at a garage sale for $5, I sold it for her for $18,000- we were paranoid about shipping the piece to the east coast... So this 2 1/2" pin ended up being sent in a box that was about 3 1/2'' tall!

The guy loved the pin and made sure to compliment the box. LOL

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry about your stone, it looks so pretty...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 1:09:40 AM
Author: blinkydoll
Sorry about your stone
7.gif
It really looked like a nice recut!

LOL-- about using Pads and diapers!!!

Quick question-- what cut did you ask him to do for your stone? It is a really nice shape. Is this a certain cut he does and has a name for it?

Thats so great he is going to make things right for you-- I''m Excited to see what you end up with-- and I hope he sends the next one in a box
2.gif

Until then--- what do u think you will do with this stone?
Blinky, my stone had nice color, but was dull - I thought a recut would make it brighter and more sparkly. I just sent him my stone for him to evaluate, and I told him I wasn''t concerned with weight loss, but was interested in spread - I wanted to try to get 8mm out of it, if possible. I mentioned what shapes I liked, and he wrote back saying he thought he could get an 8mm cushion out of it. It ended up being only 6.8mm, but thats the way recuts go - sometimes you never know until you start cutting. So I think it''s just a regular cushion, and not a barion cushion like my morganite. It did turn out much brighter and better-looking.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just awful; it looks so beautiful from the top. I am glad he is offering to try and make it right. I hope he will pack things more secure in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results