shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m Getting Overwhelmed...Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhoenixJJ

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for a stone for my e-ring. I''m a total gem n00b and I''m getting so overwhelmed. It seems like every question I find the answer to just brings up 3 more questions....ACK!!!! If you could please help me find some focus again I''d really appreciate it.

I don''t want a diamond. When I first started looking around online I really liked the light pink morganite stones I was seeing. But apparently morganite is too soft to be a good idea for an e-ring. I see that sapphire, tourmaline, and spinel are better choices. However, the tourmalines and spinels I''m seeing are darker pink and the light pink sapphires I see are more expensive. From googling loose stones, I came across companies that have cheap stones, but awful reviews. From looking on PS, you guys seem to have some custom cutters that you''ve had success with (Barry Bridgestock, Dan Stair, Jeff White, etc.), but I see 20+ companies...is there 5 or so I should focus on? Also, if these guys don''t have the stone I want, how often should I check back? And once I see the stone I want, how quickly do they usually get sold?
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

~J

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me get this straight:
You are looking for a light pink stone for an e-ring that you’d like to wear everyday. I’ve seen some pale pink sapphire, spinel and tourmaline in these colours. Sapphire and spinel will hold up much better than a tourmaline. A cutter will normally be able to give you a definite answer in a matter of days if they will be able to source the right rough for you. For tight budgets, I like what Bob Kast offers; excellent cutting with inexpensive material. I’ve also seen Dan Stair and Gene Flanigan cut some pale pinks as well. As for how long it sits in inventory, it’s just luck. Sometimes, everyone fights over that one stone and sometimes, it just sits there for many months.

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
Hello! I might not be quite as experienced as other people here, but here''s my two cents.

Sapphire is an excellent stone for an e-ring because it is so hard and durable. Personally I''d go in that direction (and did...). The other thing to consider is how large you want the stone to be. Is this a ring you want to wear 24/7? Do you work with your hands? Those all need to be considered. I personally went with a small stone that sits low in the ring so I can wear it all the time (and I''m clumsy, so it''s more protected) The size of your fingers will also effect how large a stone you are after.

Before worrying about what vendors have to offer, prioritize what you are after. Cut, colour, size, clarity? I believe that the cutters recommended on this site will actually cut a stone for you if you have something specific that you''re looking for. Correct me if I''m wrong, someone?

I think a rough idea of your budget for a stone will bring lots of ideas from the forum.

I also think that with a light pink sapphire you are running across that fine line that is padparadsha (a pinky/peach lotus coloured sapphire), which is a very expensive colour. Be careful of that word (if it''s not what you''re after... if you want a pad that''s a whole nother thing) cause it always seems to add to the price! Vendors use it more often than I would to classify a stone. The other thing you need to consider is heat treatment (not to mention other kinds of treatment) and whether you want it.

Otherwise, good luck! I recommend educating yourself as much as possible about coloured stones before buying, as you''ll be glad you did. Spinel and tourmaline are probably good options, but I don''t know much about them yet. There are many truly awesome people around here who will give you excellent answers to your questions.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
A very light pastel pink comparable to morganite shouldn''t be too expensive. Generally, the more intense the color, the pricier the stone, so pastel colors tend to be cheaper.

Bob Kast and Dan Stair are both great recommendations for what it sounds like you want. I''ve bought light pink tourmalines from both, and I know Dan''s had at least one light pink spinel on his site recently. I''d start by sending them an email to see if they have any light pink rough spinels or sapphires (tourmaline would be my third-tier choice: it''s beautiful, but not quite as durable as the other two) or can source some. Barry and Jeff are also both excellent and highly recommended around these parts but I don''t know if I''ve seen anything like that on their sites recently.

It might be a good idea to figure out approximately what size and shape of stone you''re interested in beforehand, so that you can be more specific in your request, but if you''re not sure then you might find it easier to let the cutter give you some guidance.

You''ll do better by talking to the cutter than by passively waiting for something vaguely appropriate to pop up on their sites. All of them are very nice people; don''t be afraid to get in touch with them.
1.gif

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
first off: congrats on getting engaged!

second: welcome to pricescope!

Now, I think you''re already on the right track for being on this website and asking questions
36.gif
as for your color choice it sounds lovely and feminine. I would try to stick with Sapphire and Spinel, due to durability issues. There are big ranges in the color ''pink'' for both of these gems, so my biggest suggestion is to start a collage of the colors you are interested in. So when you contact a cutter and say "I''m looking for pink," if you attach that picture, they''ll have a better idea of what ''pink'' means to you.

Next, I''d think of the mm size your interested. carat weight can be deceiving due to the varying densities and face up size of various cuts. that''s another thing to think about: what shape and cut are you looking for? a round is not always ''just a round,'' there are round brilliant, Portuguese, and many many other facet patterns.

good luck!
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2009 11:46:06 AM
Author: Liane
Generally, the more intense the color, the pricier the stone, so pastel colors tend to be cheaper.
1.gif

The only exception I can think of, and I only mention because it might come up, are pastel pinkish-orange sapphires (padparadschas). I think it''s the only case where you might find the pastel colors more expensive, haha.

PhoenixJJ

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the advice! You''ve all been immensely helpful. This weekend I''m going to go to some stores and decide on a mm size so I can communicate exactly what I want to the cutters. I''m now leaning toward a sapphire, like most of you recommended (while trying to stay away from padparadshas for budgetary reasons - thank you for letting me know about that).

Again, thank you to all of you, and I hope you have lovely holidays!

~J

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I know basically nothing about pads so I''ll defer to those who do.
2.gif

A pastel pure pink sapphire should still be pretty affordable, though. I was just in a gem shop the other week and the guy was showing me some candy-pink sapphires next to hot pink sapphires and hoping that fashion would change enough to let him charge a similar price for the light ones as for the intense ones. According to him, the market for pure pink sapphires was going up, but subject to huge swings based on what exact shade of pink the celebrities were sporting.

Since I don''t follow celebrity fashion in the slightest, I can''t vouch for the accuracy of that observation. I just take it as a hopeful sign that candy-pink sapphires might not break the bank.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I"d also highly recommend Gene of precisiongem.com

Could you post a photo of the kind of pink you had in mind? I believe morganites can come in a pure pastel pink (which I agree, is pretty affordable in sapphires) to a peachier orangish-pink (which borders on padparadscha territory depending on the vendor you buy from).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''ll just say that if you''re on a budget or you''d like an untreated stone (or a larger stone for the same money), spinel is a better option.

Example of the prices you can expect to pay for native (non-precision) cut stones: link - not sure that''s the shade you''re after, but prices should be close regardless.

PhoenixJJ

Rough_Rock
Here''s an idea of the pink I like. I''m not looking for something exact shade-wise (I''m ok with warmer or cooler), but I''d like it to be pretty light.

phoenixjjmorganite2.jpg

PhoenixJJ

Rough_Rock
I don''t know if this makes a difference or not, but here''s an idea of what the setting will look like. Liza with whiteflash has been a humongous help. They''re going to make something similar, but with less engraving. She needs me to get the stone first though. Liza said the one in the photo looks to be about 6mm, so that''s going to be my starting place when I look at stones this weekend.

phoenixjjringcollage.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something like that in spinel or heat treated sapphire will cost very little.

PhoenixJJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 2:10:27 PM
Author: ma re
I''ll just say that if you''re on a budget or you''d like an untreated stone (or a larger stone for the same money), spinel is a better option.

Example of the prices you can expect to pay for native (non-precision) cut stones: link - not sure that''s the shade you''re after, but prices should be close regardless.
Mr. Ma Re - thank you for your help, would you please try posting the link again? It isn''t working for me. Thanks!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto on color and shape, but it might help you see what is out there for sapphire. (and, ETA, help remind you that this is supposed to be fun and that you'll find something you love!)

Precision gem sapphire - cushion

PhoenixJJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 3:26:38 PM
Author: Porridge
Maybe a little dark for you and possibly the wrong shape, but this looks like a nice one
Thanks Porridge and Novel! Porridge, I''ve read some questionable things about that company (photoshopping pics, misleading descriptions). It''s too bad too, because they have some of the most budget-friendly stones I''ve seen, but as one reviewer said a couple of times: "You get what you pay for".
1.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 3:54:09 PM
Author: PhoenixJJ
Date: 12/16/2009 3:26:38 PM

Author: Porridge

Maybe a little dark for you and possibly the wrong shape, but this looks like a nice one
Thanks Porridge and Novel! Porridge, I''ve read some questionable things about that company (photoshopping pics, misleading descriptions). It''s too bad too, because they have some of the most budget-friendly stones I''ve seen, but as one reviewer said a couple of times: ''You get what you pay for''.
1.gif
Yes, they''re probably not the right ones for an engagement stone. I''ll keep looking! What do you think of that colour? Do you definitely want round?

PhoenixJJ

Rough_Rock
Porridge, I''d ideally like to find something lighter, but the one you found is probably as dark as I''d consider. I''d also like to be as close to round as possible, because changes to the shape of the stone will most likely increase the cost of the setting.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
To add to Liane''s link (good memory!), I just got a stone from Dana at MasterCutGems today, and his picture was grayer than the stone really is, and didn''t do justice to its sparkle. I think Packrat would say the same.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 5:30:23 PM
Author: Novel
To add to Liane''s link (good memory!), I just got a stone from Dana at MasterCutGems today, and his picture was grayer than the stone really is, and didn''t do justice to its sparkle. I think Packrat would say the same.

agreed. pay close attention to what the vendor says about the color of the gem. Taking pictures of gemstones can be a very tricky thing to do, so most vendor''s accompany their photos with comments, so if the the picture looks a little grey, or as if the inclusions are just huge, but the vendor says "nice color, no gray as the photo may suggest. eye clean" then I will take that into consideration more so than the picture (depending on who the vendor is)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC, someone in CS got a native cut very pale pink spinel from Gary Dutton and had the pavilon recut by Dan Stair? I thought the colour might be similar to what Phoenix is looking for. Does anyone remember whose stone that is?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 9:46:41 PM
Author: Chrono
IIRC, someone in CS got a native cut very pale pink spinel from Gary Dutton and had the pavilon recut by Dan Stair? I thought the colour might be similar to what Phoenix is looking for. Does anyone remember whose stone that is?

Chrono, you are a PS stone encyclopedia! I think you''re thinking of MariedTiger''s spinel. (BTW, love the new avatar shot!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2009 9:57:46 PM

Chrono, you are a PS stone encyclopedia! I think you''re thinking of MariedTiger''s spinel. (BTW, love the new avatar shot!)
Novel,
You are even better. You knew it was MT and even included the link. Thanks!
36.gif
And thanks on the new avatar. I couldn''t resist dumping the spess for this new gem.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 10:01:29 PM
Date: 12/16/2009 9:57:46 PM

Novel,

You are even better. You knew it was MT and even included the link. Thanks!
36.gif
And thanks on the new avatar. I couldn''t resist dumping the spess for this new gem.

Ugh, Chrono, (hanging my head in shame), I just hit the jackpot in the bizarre on-and-off again search function. But thanks
2.gif
And you''re right, the color is totally right on for what Phoenix is interested in!!

And yum, pear shaped deliciousness. Totally understand dropping the spess!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 5:30:23 PM

While reading this thread, the pink spinel Liane posted popped into my head right away-haha great minds and all! And yep, I very much agree with Novel, the pictures just don''t do the stones justice. I''m head over heels in love with my spinel and have ants in my pants to get the ring finished and on my finger!

Dana also has this
platinum pink spinel and the other pink I thought of from there is in the sold section now.

I''d maybe contact some of the vendors and ask if they might have something not listed on their site that might fit the bill. Never know what they''ve got in the safe! Or, they might be able to get some rough and cut it for you.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s OK that my first link didn''t work cause color was not exactly close to what you''re looking for, but THIS one might be just fine - it''s round, close to 7 mm, quite light in color, nicely cut for a native cut stone, untreated, and just over 150$. The only problem might be in the fact that the seller is not from the States so you might spend quite a bit in case you don''t like the stone and want to return it.

BTW, I didn''t expect you''ll be after such a light (almost pale) color. Both, spinels and sapphires can be quite light, but this is very light for those species, so you might have a bit of trouble finding something light enough.

Nacre

Rough_Rock
Hi Phoenix!

I think you should go for the Morganite.

There are less durability issues with Morganite than with Tourmaline as Morganite is a Beryl, like Aqua, and is actually quite durable at 7 1/2 to 8! Tourmaline is softer at 7-71/2.

Morganite is a great stone, exactly the colour you are looking for, lovely high lustre an are usually very clean.

You are going to pay a lot more for a sapph at that colour, but sapphs are much harder for an engagement ring.

Happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results