shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm getting a puppy - need advise

Q

Queenie60

Omg @Queenie60 ! I have to say that your new puppy adventure has me yearning for my pooch who just passed away after 17 blissful years. I even showed your pup pics to the family. Makes me want to start over again now..
She a is a Shih Tzu correct? I used to have one just as adorable as yours. Many years ago...loved that little fur baby.
And I second what @whitewave said above, puppy breath is so sweet!

ETA My beloved mom’s fave song was Maggie May by Rod Stewart, I feel so connected to your new pooch...in the most bittersweet way ♥

Aww! I am sorry for the loss of your beloved pooch. I suggest that you consider a new pup - it would bring joy into your home, especially during these unsettled times in our world. And yes, Maggie is a Shih Tzu. The breeder is wonderful - pups are raised inside of their home and loved and cuddled daily. Potty trained! and used to a lot of human interaction. Couldn't ask for more. She'll be an added blessing to our home. Q

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
@Queenie60 I dreamt of puppies like Maggie May last night....I don't dream very often, so it was a VERY pleasant experience. :love:

Q

Queenie60

96F248F9-9F45-4918-8B99-FE2D1ABD51E5.jpeg

And here’s my old man! Much loved and he’s not going to allow Maggie May to take this bed! Off to pet store to get another bed for Maggie!!!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock

And here’s my old man! Much loved and he’s not going to allow Maggie May to take this bed! Off to pet store to get another bed for Maggie!!!

He's ADORABALICIOUS!! Here looks so sweet.

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
SO sweet! Our breeder just asked us to be on her waiting list for her next litter; I am so excited and living vicariously through your beautiful new lady!

Q

Queenie60

SO sweet! Our breeder just asked us to be on her waiting list for her next litter; I am so excited and living vicariously through your beautiful new lady!

Tell me - what breed of pup will you be getting? I'm excited for you.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
QUEENIE! Isn't today THE DAY??

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ahhhhh pooches!:kiss2:

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 - please flood this thread with pictures!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
No.... Saturday morning. Breeder will be out all day tomorrow. My girlfriend and I are going to pick her up early Saturday am! I am so excited and very prepared, thanks to you!

For some reason I thought it was Friday, and because I have a rare day off tomorrow, I thought TODAY was Friday.... :oops: I'm excited for you! And yes, please, flood the thread with photos, or start a Maggie May thread! :appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it was Friday, too. ;))

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
Tell me - what breed of pup will you be getting? I'm excited for you.

Thank you, we’re getting a white swiss shepherd! My SO’s had dogs growing up but I’ve never had one so I’m nervously excited.

So excited that today is the day for you! Lots and lots of photos please.

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

Thank you, we’re getting a white swiss shepherd! My SO’s had dogs growing up but I’ve never had one so I’m nervously excited.

No, not until tomorrow morning! I'm prepared and thank @SandyinAnaheim and others for their good advise. I found a trainer on YouTube, Zack George - he's very sensible and I am going to try some of his training techniques. Wish me luck as well! You will do just fine. Watch videos and read through this thread, there is some good advise.

Q

Queenie60

I thought it was Friday, too. ;))

It was supposed to be today, changed to Saturday morning. Ahhhh - just as well!

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
No, not until tomorrow morning! I'm prepared and thank @SandyinAnaheim and others for their good advise. I found a trainer on YouTube, Zack George - he's very sensible and I am going to try some of his training techniques. Wish me luck as well! You will do just fine. Watch videos and read through this thread, there is some good advise.

Yes I’ve been watching SO much Zak George. I love the series with Inertia. Good luck!!

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am getting a puppy on June 12th. She's a Shih Tzu and will be 7 weeks when I bring her home. I have a 14 year old Maltese, haven't had a puppy for 14 years. What types of chewy sticks would you recommend and any other advise you can offer to me. I know the basics, I will need potty pads a bed, a harness and a few other things. I appreciate any advise you can give to me. Thank you. Q

Please get pet insurance. You may never need it - but it's always better to be safe than sorry. I regretted not having pet insurance when I had my little Maltese. She needed surgery to remove her anal glands at around $5k. I usually recommend anyone with a new puppy to get insurance right away before you get denied due to pre-existing conditions.
Congrats on your new puppy! Very exciting times. I look forward to the photos!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After having spent $8,000.00 at the end of my Newfie's life (to no avail), I got health insurance when I adopted my current dog, Hero. I pay almost $50.00 a month, and I have a very high deductible, but if he ever gets a devastating illness, I will be covered.

In other words, I think your advice is wise, @tfc_diamondlvr.

Deb :wavey:

Please get pet insurance. You may never need it - but it's always better to be safe than sorry. I regretted not having pet insurance when I had my little Maltese. She needed surgery to remove her anal glands at around $5k. I usually recommend anyone with a new puppy to get insurance right away before you get denied due to pre-existing conditions.
Congrats on your new puppy! Very exciting times. I look forward to the photos!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am familiar with most breeds of dog, but I do not know the white Swiss shepherd. Please tell me more about it.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
After having spent $8,000.00 at the end of my Newfie's life (to no avail), I got health insurance when I adopted my current dog, Hero. I pay almost $50.00 a month, and I have a very high deductible, but if he ever gets a devastating illness, I will be covered.

In other words, I think your advice is wise, @tfc_diamondlvr.

Deb :wavey:

Thanks!
To be honest - the friends who did not heed my advice really regretted their decision. All of them admit to me that they should have listened to me from the start and purchased pet insurance.

I can rattle off numerous friends whose young dogs had to have some form of medical intervention that costed them thousands of dollars. Even a few x-rays and blood work can run you almost $1k.

I agree with you @AGBF - I feel that having insurance for your little fur child is part of the cost of owning a pet. It would be devastating to be placed in a position where you have to put down a younger pet because of an accident etc.

I'm sorry for your fur puppy loss @AGBF - I'm glad you have Hero now.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I'm patiently waiting.....ok, semi-patiently.....

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve had multiple dogs but never pet insurance. Because of this thread, I’m going to check it out.

@Queenie60 - can’t wait to see pics!

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
OK, I'm home from work and DEMAND some pictures @Queenie60! I'm SUPER jealous of all the fun I know you're having! I wanna see!!!!
:appl:

Q

Queenie60

Ok. It’s been a long day. 1.5 hours to pick up Maggie and 1.5 back home. Socialized her with my friends two gong. Then home and lots of playing. She’s been sleeping for hours. E81C6613-0EA0-4B93-A84B-59BC19345C81.jpeg 660D920E-1C56-4F21-862E-5B8A857DD638.jpeg F4DBC353-8F70-4652-AE94-990823E43FAB.jpeg

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
I am familiar with most breeds of dog, but I do not know the white Swiss shepherd. Please tell me more about it.

It’s also known as the Berger Blan Suisse. It’s more or less a white German shepherd with a different temperament.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah she is so gorgeous! Is she settling in well?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww what a love. Congratulations again @Queenie60. Mazel Tov on your newest family member!

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 6.37.39 AM.png

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is so adorable Queenie!! Enjoy your sweet Maggie Mae!! ❤️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results