shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm getting a puppy - need advise

Q

Queenie60

My best advice is re your old dog. Perhaps let the old dog meet the puppy outside? Less chance of feeling territorial there. And let the old dog "discover" and befriend the puppy in his/her own way and time, without you carrying the puppy inside like a baby and making the old dog feel like he/she has lost his/her mama's attention.
I love dogs, puppies are just the cutest!!!

Great advise. I will do it this way.

Q

Queenie60

I have heard of that food and have several pet clients on it. The only negative I have ever heard about it was two weeks ago. I have a client that has 2 Doodles, a 5 yo and a 1 yo. The little one came down with pancreatitis with that food after having been on it since she came home 10 months ago. Apparently it's too high in fat for her system. I pointed the pet parents to Dr. Judy Morgan's video and recipe, as I do for anyone who is interested in learning about pet nutrition, and they are now cooking for their pups until they figure out what to get next.

If you have an hour to invest to understand what is in pet food, I highly recommend watching Dr. Morgan's Webinar 1. Another tool in your arsenal is DogFoodAdvisor.com to learn about nutrients and ingredients contained in foods, along with grading reports and recall information.

Thank you - I will review this information. I do not mind cooking for my dogs. I had intended to do this last year however, did not know where to begin as I do understanding that the ratios need to be just right so they can get their nutritional values. Older dog seems to be fine on this food however, you are correct that this could be too fatty for a puppy. I have a vet appointment scheduled for the day after she arrives and will discuss in great detail with him. I appreciate your information very much - it is so valuable.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you - I will review this information. I do not mind cooking for my dogs. I had intended to do this last year however, did not know where to begin as I do understanding that the ratios need to be just right so they can get their nutritional values. Older dog seems to be fine on this food however, you are correct that this could be too fatty for a puppy. I have a vet appointment scheduled for the day after she arrives and will discuss in great detail with him. I appreciate your information very much - it is so valuable.

Bear in mind that most vets receive VERY little in the way of training with regards to nutrition, and many will push Science Diet or whatever crap they're selling. Once you watch that video, you'll be educated enough to make good decisions regarding food. If you want, you can follow her on FB and she's very informative and honest. I've learned a lot from her, and Dr. Karen Becker. They're trying to revolutionize the pet food industry and blow the lid off of corporate powerhouses using the pet food industry as a means to dispose of various wastes in the human food industry.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Hey @Queenie60 , stumbled on this, thought about you.

1589344063261.png

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say, although things can get heated on the political threads, the animal ones bring everyone together!!!! She is sooo cute queenie, I can't wait for you to meet her. I'm sure Quincy will be a wonderful big bro and help little pup blend into the family. I think "maggie may" is too damn cute :lol:

PP's have all given wonderful advice, especially regarding crate training and manual handling early.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We go to a organic pet butcher. Our boy is on a raw diet of turkey and chicken (our breeder is an advocate of raw) supplemented with steamed green vegetables, pumpkin, carrots, yogurt, eggs and cheese. Sometimes we give him cooked fish. We feed him dr. Marty’s for breakfast if I don’t cook.

Our vet was skeptical to began with. Now she looks at casey in awe. Food matters...a lot.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, just like it does with humans, food matters a lot. Longevity depends upon it.

Q

Queenie60

I just wanted to say, although things can get heated on the political threads, the animal ones bring everyone together!!!! She is sooo cute queenie, I can't wait for you to meet her. I'm sure Quincy will be a wonderful big bro and help little pup blend into the family. I think "maggie may" is too damn cute :lol:

PP's have all given wonderful advice, especially regarding crate training and manual handling early.

Thank you @telephone89 - I appreciate this, more than you know! I'm leaning towards Maggie May! Thank you for reaching out - it is most appreciated. Q

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60 She is beyond adorable! I bet you can’t wait to snuggle the crud out of her!

Lots of great suggestions in here so far! I would echo the earlier suggestion about introducing the pup to your senior pup in a neutral place ... maybe have a family member walk Senior Pup down the block or to a nearby park when you’re bringing junior pup home, and have them do their sniffer-ductions there, then maybe walk the two of them back home together. Senior dog may present hostility or protectiveness inside the home; this way, they become friends on very neutral territory first.

And if it wasn’t mentioned already (I didn't read every post), be sure to relocate everything low/at ground level of any importance to higher locations. Despite our best attempts, it’s hard to keep eyes on them every single second of every day, and it will be the one time you don’t that she’ll find something prized or valuable to chew. If you can’t find good chew toys locally, order some now so they have time to ship/arrive before the big day.

Lastly, get the camera ready and plan to post lots of pics for us to share in your new, little furball bundle of joy! :love:

ETA: electrical cords ... if you have any that hang low, like from a desk, lamp, etc., figure out a solution to secure those away from puppy teeth now! Maybe take a walk around your house, and think about what you might do/change if you had a baby crawling around.

Q

Queenie60

@Queenie60 She is beyond adorable! I bet you can’t wait to snuggle the crud out of her!

Lots of great suggestions in here so far! I would echo the earlier suggestion about introducing the pup to your senior pup in a neutral place ... maybe have a family member walk Senior Pup down the block or to a nearby park when you’re bringing junior pup home, and have them do their sniffer-ductions there, then maybe walk the two of them back home together. Senior dog may present hostility or protectiveness inside the home; this way, they become friends on very neutral territory first.

And if it wasn’t mentioned already (I didn't read every post), be sure to relocate everything low/at ground level of any importance to higher locations. Despite our best attempts, it’s hard to keep eyes on them every single second of every day, and it will be the one time you don’t that she’ll find something prized or valuable to chew. If you can’t find good chew toys locally, order some now so they have time to ship/arrive before the big day.

Lastly, get the camera ready and plan to post lots of pics for us to share in your new, little furball bundle of joy! :love:

ETA: electrical cords ... if you have any that hang low, like from a desk, lamp, etc., figure out a solution to secure those away from puppy teeth now! Maybe take a walk around your house, and think about what you might do/change if you had a baby crawling around.

Thank you. This is great advise and I appreciate it. Senior is very old and won’t be too territorial, just a bit annoyed. Your advise about a neutral meeting place is good. Senior is in pretty good health but equivalent to a 98 or so old man. He eats, sleeps and poops. We love him so much but I know we don’t have much more time with him. He’ll let me know when he’s ready. Im getting new puppy as I can’t imagine life without a dog! Thank you and I’ll keep you posted!

Q

Queenie60

We go to a organic pet butcher. Our boy is on a raw diet of turkey and chicken (our breeder is an advocate of raw) supplemented with steamed green vegetables, pumpkin, carrots, yogurt, eggs and cheese. Sometimes we give him cooked fish. We feed him dr. Marty’s for breakfast if I don’t cook.

Our vet was skeptical to began with. Now she looks at casey in awe. Food matters...a lot.

Good advise - I will look into this.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
awwwwwwwww my goodness! She's just too Precious Queenie, keep those pictures coming !xoxo

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She’s so cute! I’m getting a puppy in about 5 weeks so I’ve been enjoying this thread! I have two other dogs and had two before so it isn’t my first rodeo but I’m learning so much about dog nutrition!

Keep sharing the puppy pics!

Q

Queenie60

She’s so cute! I’m getting a puppy in about 5 weeks so I’ve been enjoying this thread! I have two other dogs and had two before so it isn’t my first rodeo but I’m learning so much about dog nutrition!

Keep sharing the puppy pics!

What breed are you getting? I’m excited for you. And yes, the nutrition advise is priceless. Thanks to @SandyinAnaheim

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What breed are you getting? I’m excited for you. And yes, the nutrition advise is priceless. Thanks to @SandyinAnaheim

A Newfoundland. We’ve had (and have) rescue dogs and I’d prefer to have a rescue but my husband has wanted a very large friendly dog for a while. We’ve been reading up on the breed and I’ve been enjoying that! I’m really looking forward to meeting my new guy.

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
I am getting a puppy on June 12th. She's a Shih Tzu and will be 7 weeks when I bring her home. I have a 14 year old Maltese, haven't had a puppy for 14 years. What types of chewy sticks would you recommend and any other advise you can offer to me. I know the basics, I will need potty pads a bed, a harness and a few other things. I appreciate any advise you can give to me. Thank you. Q

I am getting a puppy on June 12th. She's a Shih Tzu and will be 7 weeks when I bring her home. I have a 14 year old Maltese, haven't had a puppy for 14 years. What types of chewy sticks would you recommend and any other advise you can offer to me. I know the basics, I will need potty pads a bed, a harness and a few other things. I appreciate any advise you can give to me. Thank you. Q

Mickey's Pet Supplies is where I got Ronan's toys when we adopted him. They have a supply of USA made toys.
Kong has some items that are still made here, the pacifier which comes in small and medium, pink or blue
Loads of squeaky balls, Ronan still plays with them.
They have an assortment of stuffed lovees some claim to be indestructible, well almost indestructible.
We crated Ronan in our room initially.
If you have loads of old towels for inside the crate, they're soft and easy to wash.
We used a baby corral for when we were home. I found a company online that repurposes old bill boards to use as a tarp for the corral- that was a life saver. I think they're called Billboards and you can let them know how big or small you'd like the pieces. Still use a folded piece for under his bed in the kitchen and for under his food and water dishes. They get dirty you can hose them down or run a mop over them.
Wish we had done the leash thing, such a great suggestion.
Congratulations

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Casey will be 14 in July. People mistake him fir a 2/3 year old.

So will my avatar, Griffy. People are shocked when they hear his age, they think he is 6 or 7. His eyes are clear, his coat is lush, his nose is moist and healthy and he is VERY bouncy like a puppy. The only way you can really tell his age is by the fact that he sleeps A LOT.

@Queenie60 I was thinking about Shih Tzus today and what I know about the breed specifically that could help you. The one thing that really stands out to me is that ALL of the Shih Tzus I've met, including my Shih/Terrier mix, Lola, have VERY bad knees. My Lola was born with bilateral Grade 2 Luxating Patellas and had surgery on one last year. As I'm grooming them, I can see, feel and hear their knees moving in and out of position. This is unique to this breed as I haven't seen this on any other breed with this degree of frequency. My suggestion is to limit jumping as much as you possibly can. I don't allow either of my furkids to jump down from furniture at all. They ask to come up, and they ask to be let down. I don't want to spend another $3k on a knee surgery or have either of them undergo a procedure.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So will my avatar, Griffy. People are shocked when they hear his age, they think he is 6 or 7. His eyes are clear, his coat is lush, his nose is moist and healthy and he is VERY bouncy like a puppy. The only way you can really tell his age is by the fact that he sleeps A LOT.

@Queenie60 I was thinking about Shih Tzus today and what I know about the breed specifically that could help you. The one thing that really stands out to me is that ALL of the Shih Tzus I've met, including my Shih/Terrier mix, Lola, have VERY bad knees. My Lola was born with bilateral Grade 2 Luxating Patellas and had surgery on one last year. As I'm grooming them, I can see, feel and hear their knees moving in and out of position. This is unique to this breed as I haven't seen this on any other breed with this degree of frequency. My suggestion is to limit jumping as much as you possibly can. I don't allow either of my furkids to jump down from furniture at all. They ask to come up, and they ask to be let down. I don't want to spend another $3k on a knee surgery or have either of them undergo a procedure.

What a sweet baby! Casey is a small / medium labradoodle from Australia. Our breeder was very specific about not allowing him to go up and down steps until his musculature started to develop. He was tested for hip displasia (spelling) shortly after birth...no problems. We were very strict...

Q

Queenie60

@Queenie60 This video by Dr. Karen Becker just popped up in my feed re crate training. I thought you might find it helpful.

Thank you for this information. I plan to crate train, already have a crate that I used for Quincy - he is so old now, he does not want to go into the crate, just lays in his bed! On another note, regarding nutrition - I spoke with a nutritionist at Just Food For Dogs, they recommend I feed the pup Chicken and White Rice or Fish and Sweet Potato blends 10 oz per day for the chicken and 14 oz per day for the fish. This is based on her approximate adult weight. Still researching so that I can do the best for Maggie May.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for this information. I plan to crate train, already have a crate that I used for Quincy - he is so old now, he does not want to go into the crate, just lays in his bed! On another note, regarding nutrition - I spoke with a nutritionist at Just Food For Dogs, they recommend I feed the pup Chicken and White Rice or Fish and Sweet Potato blends 10 oz per day for the chicken and 14 oz per day for the fish. This is based on her approximate adult weight. Still researching so that I can do the best for Maggie May.

Our breeder recommended the same diet for the first week or two after arrival and then transition to the raw.

Q

Queenie60

Our breeder recommended the same diet for the first week or two after arrival and then transition to the raw.

Good advise. Do you have a link for the raw?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good advise. Do you have a link for the raw?

When we first started, 13.5 years ago we purchased commercially available raw. The brand was “nature’s variety”.after about a year on nature’s variety, one of my hubby’s patients recommended a local pet butcher. Armelino’s in Huntington station, ny.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
B119C04D-2272-48B3-A2C6-926FABD5F4EF.png

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but I like chewy.com. I like getting big bags of food/ kitty litter delivered to my door. It’s usually pretty fast but I’ve heard they’re a little behind due to the current situation. They’re also cheaper than the pet stores near me. They’ve got some good deals sometimes too. I got a robot vacuum for $60 once. Bought it to confirm my dog wouldn’t destroy a roomba since he’s a vicious little loaf when the Miele comes out. We got him later in his life so he’s got some quirks...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How wonderful! That soft puppy belly to rub and that sweet puppy breath. Puppers will be scared of course, everything is new and she will miss her previous family for a bit. The most important things I learned about dogs are these things. Gain their trust, take your time, brush their teeth, walk them even in a blizzard and supplement their food with homemade food that has good protein, vegetables and herbs for antioxidants. Most of my dogs have lived to be 15 to 16 years old, even those that came to us with heartworms or other medical issues.

So happy that you have a new soul to love.:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results