shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m Engaged!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
It's official, I'm engaged! All these many months have finally come to a conclusion (which is only just the beginning).

--BACKSTORY--

I had began saving a year ago so that I could pay for an e-ring outright and without financing. Around the beginning of 2004 I began going into stores and looking around. I almost bought a 0.30ct Tiffany Lucida b/c I wasn't sure I was up to the task of learning what I needed to know to 'make' a ring. I figured the little blue box was the peace of mind that I needed, even though I'd be getting something a little smaller than I'd hoped.

As it turns out, a lot of people think that at first. I had seen Blue Nile from a Forbes best of list, but thought I'd do a little bit more research and that's when I came up with Pricescope!

After talking to many fine and helpful people here, I learned what it was that made an extroidinary diamond and how to identify what was wrong with most retail diamonds. So that set me on my quest to find create the perfect ring to kick start the rest of my life.

--THE DEED--

I had conceived of many different ways to pop the question, but it was hard for me to decide which one felt 'right' for us. We are in the metro DC area so there's no shortage of great opportunities, but the trick is finding something unique and meaningful. Plus, I needed to keep it a surprise.

One option was to go to the restaurant we had our first date. That was ok, but a bit pricey and there was no special occasion coming up. Another was to have a picnic and take a walk on the National Mall and do it at a monument. Also, very good, but it's summer in DC (HOT) and tourist season. Plus, you can't drink alcohol on the Mall and I was pretty sure I needed liquid courage! Yet another way involved dancing lessons, but I had missed the nearest sign up time, others classes were too expensive.

[Edited] Lastly, I had the idea of doing in in the precious gems exhibit of the Natural History museum, where the Hope diamond is kept. But someone who had been there indicated to me that they don't let you wander the exhibit. It's more of a corralled line and the Hope is at the very end, so it would be too awkward.

Finally, I thought of a plan that would help me relax, keep us occupied, and totally take her by surprise.

I told her we were going to go do something we hadn't done in a long time. Go to one of our favorite pool halls, which is pretty swank place, not cheap by pool hall standards. Actually I said, we'd just play pool. Then we drove PAST the cheap crappy place, and told her we're going to the nice one which made her really happy.

We drank and played for an hour while I tried to keep calm and work up my courage. I knew ahead of time that Sunday was going to be slower than usual, but when I got there I didn't realize it was going to be THAT slow. I wanted a little more people there. But the plan was started, I had to go on. So I waited for more people to arrive. And drank some more.

I was also A LOT more nervous than I thought I'd be. I started to think I couldn't do it. Soon, she started to get hungry and wanted to leave after this game was over. There was only 2 balls left, so I tried to draw out the game. Of course I cleared the table and sank the 8-ball. (Why can't I do that when I'm trying?!)

I covinced her we needed to play one more game... 'Winner takes all.' So I rack 'em up and start playing. I purposefully scratch and place the cue ball for her. I tell her which shot would be good, but then start fidgeting with the cue ball. "No, that's not the right angle... a little bit more this way... hit the ball low like this..."

Then I got in between her and the table for one 'final adjustment.'

I replaced the cue ball with the ring box and then stepped back to let her play and watch her reaction. She was dumbfounded. She couldn't process what that thing was. When she went to reach for it, I grabbed it, got down on one knee, spouted off something incomprehensible that may or may not have included the words: love, marry, and me.

She said, "Yes," I think. I can't remember really. She was a freaky little crying machine for the rest of the night. I succeeded in totally catching her off guard.

Oh, and she loved the ring. I will post pictures of the proposal when I get them. Here's pictures of the ring to keep you until then.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Here it is!

composite03.jpg

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!! Happy planning and I can't wait to see the ring! Lots of pics please!

Colleen

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement.
appl.gif
The ring looks great (I'm biased since I'm getting one almost identical to it).

Your diamond buying experience sounds a lot like mine. Hopefully it'll end up as good as yours did.

Good luck with your upcoming wedding and life together.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!

Great ring, of course. we knew the stone was gorgeous and the now we know the setting is, too.

The ring is just beauttiful!!

But, even better is your story! (you are a good story-teller!)

I love the way you proposed.

Congratulations.

I haven't been following the threads as much, but what did you decide re: wedding band to go with the ring?

again, beeeeyooooteeeful!!!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys. I know everyone's been with me for a long time during this process. I was floundering during the decision making process and probably quite annoying at times scouring over numbers. In return, I've since passed on, hopefully, some good advice to those in similar situations. The pictures do not do it justice!

As far as wedding bands, I've got my eye on some possibilities, but that'll be HER decision. I've made enough decisions to last me awhile. Possible candidates are the matching plain plat. X-Prong band or a princess half channel set band.

While I was at it, I've also picked out a couple of dress suggestions. I figure, why not?
1.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
WOOHOO! congrats!!! I'd been following your posts and just yesterday found myself wondering if you'd popped the question. LOVE how you did it! That wasn't at Buffalo Billiards, by any chance? (I'm a former DCite).

Wishing you all the best, and oh yeah, that's a SWEET ring!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it WAS Buffalo Billiards! Great place! I'd love to maybe host a little party in the smaller of the two party rooms, but we'll have to discuss finances first.
1.gif

I like it b/c now, we can go back whenever we want and go play pool at the place I proposed! (Table #23)

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
by the way, my setting has a similar shape which caused me to look at curved wedding bands or, live with a gap (i can live with a small gap).

The diamond bands made by Memoire work well with this setting.

and ha ha on the dress.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRATULATIONS VH!!
The ring is Absolutely Fabulous!! You did Great!!
love.gif

Luved the story - thanks for giving us a glimpse into the propsal
9.gif

Amazing how, initially, a task can seem so daunting, & then turn out to be such an interesting learning experience... one might even say "fun"?!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock

bling

Shiny_Rock
Congrats Vertical! and Yuummmm...her ring is fabulous! i love it...
and such a romantic story..congrats again..
appl.gif

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats
1.gif

Good choice on the proposal method... Low key and personal sounds like the way to go! (all the drama gets added by the emotions involved already!)

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
About time!!! The suspense was killing me.
2.gif

Congratulations VH! What a great story and amazing ring! I can't wait to see pics on her hand!

Best of luck to you both...

-Sarah

P.S. I Love Buffalo Billiards! They have GREAT wings!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again everyone. And BIG thanks out to Jonathan, Marie, Christen at GOOD OLD GOLD who were integral to the creation of the master work ring.

I will be posting a separate, more detailed account of the ring purchasing process to properly credit GOG. Who needs a marketing budget when you have Pricescope?!

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring!!!
love.gif
Congratulations on your engagement and ideal rock status!
9.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hey VH, what to go. Congrats! I'm so happy for the two of you.
Great story, thanks for sharing. I'm a Washingtonian meslef. Your ring ofcourse is awesome! Just beautiful.
Nan

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations VH!
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

The ring is just gorgeous, and your story is great. I love it when the guys come up with something something personal about you as a the couple to propose!

lol about the dresses -- aren't you going to get our opinions?
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
YEAH!!!!!! So happy for you....and what a beautiful ring!!!! Job well done!!!!!

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I definitely have to see one of those jubilee's in person.. your girlfriend, now fiancee, must have been ecstatic! reading your proposal story had me teary..
1.gif
i wish you both the best.

and p.s.- vh, i'm so glad you're on this board! your posts and comments have been very informative.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations VH!! Well done. You suprised us ... well at least me. Your Jubilee countdown took so long that I thought you were going to take a litlle more time.

The ring looks great. It shows off the shape of the Jube very well. Simple yet so elegant. I just looked at Tiffany Lucidas yesterday and you did much better than a 30 pointer. Anyways best wishes, to my "wise, young and now engaged friend"

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/21/2004 4:39:16 PM kpebbles wrote:

What a beautiful ring! I definitely have to see one of those jubilee's in person.. your girlfriend, now fiancee, must have been ecstatic! reading your proposal story had me teary..
1.gif
i wish you both the best.

and p.s.- vh, i'm so glad you're on this board! your posts and comments have been very informative.----------------

NO!!! you mustn't see one in person - or you'll want to own it.

I saw the 1.009 D VVS1 at GOG, and WOW. Stunning!!!
love.gif

.... and it has strong blue fluorescence... YUMMY!

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/21/2004 7:24:56 PM quaeritur wrote:

----------------

NO!!! you mustn't see one in person - or you'll want to own it.

I saw the 1.009 D VVS1 at GOG, and WOW. Stunning!!!
love.gif

.... and it has strong blue fluorescence... YUMMY!----------------

haha quaeritur, you're right! i should save up some money before i see one or else my credit card may jump out of my purse!
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
The finished ring is awesome.
love.gif
The Jubilee is a fabulous stone. And your fiance will be one of the very few to have one--how cool for her!
1.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Great story. I'm on deck and getting nervous....

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
There's no nervousness like the 20 min. right before you know it's gonna go down. You just swallow hard (or finish your drink!) and GO!
1.gif

futuremrsvh

Rough_Rock
thanks to all who provided the moral support to VH that i couldn't since he took me completely by surprise.

but mostly of course thanks to VH who is more than any girl could hope for... and my ring is pretty great too
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/22/2004 8:13:49 AM verticalhorizon wrote:

There's no nervousness like the 20 min. right before you know it's gonna go down. You just swallow hard (or finish your drink!) and GO!
1.gif
----------------

I think I might need a drink. I didn't think I'd be nervous, but I'm starting to get the feeling that I will be. I still have to ask her Dad too (which is a polite formality, but stressful even with the most laid back of fathers)

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Look who's joined the party! It's Mrs. Future VH.

Do a search on my threads and find out what really went into this whole project!
1.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
futuremrsvh;

As someone who received a Jubilee cut diamond, what do you think of the shape? I'm in the process of buying a similar ring and would like to hear your thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results