shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm engaged, K? I think? My perfect OEC engagement ring!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Hi all... I'm engaged!! My boyfriend popped the question four weeks ago today on a mini romantic getaway in NH :kiss2:

Scroll to the bottom for photos/videos, otherwise, read on for my saga:

I joined this forum however long ago because I've always loved jewelry, but also because I knew the relationship I was in was heading towards engagement/marriage and wanted to be prepared for when it was time to buy such a meaningful ring! I've been admiring everyone's fantastic bling, learning about ideal cuts, discovering OEC/OMC cuts, etc. I've been saving dozens of links/photos of setting inspirations, not being able to decide between something more vintage/antique, more modern, something in between, white gold or two-tone, 4 or 6 prongs, something off the shelf or something custom made...honestly I love them all. I figured my boyfriend and I would go to jewelry stores to try on a bunch of styles to see what I liked best, or he could propose with a stand-in ring and we go shopping together afterwards.

Much to my surprise...he proposed with an Old European cut diamond set on a simple 18k gold cathedral band with platinum prongs! He didn't consult anyone (ie my sister) and instead used all of the hints that I thought he wasn't listening to. And honestly...I'm glad he made the decision for me, since it's perfect. The diamond's faceting is gorgeous, it looks very white, it's eye-clean, and....that's all I knew about it! I almost died inside when he said the jeweler didn't give him any sort of information about the diamond - no appraisal, no certificate - just one line item on the receipt.

My amazing fiancé is not one to dive into diamond research (my passion, not his!), so I gave him a list of questions to ask the jeweler. We ended up just going to the jeweler together where the salesperson wrote up an appraisal that estimated 1.21, K, SI2, approximately 6.7mm. I was thrilled! I was always hoping to pass the 1 carat or 6mm mark, and had a soft spot for Ks (my .34 ACA necklace is a K) and the slight warmth it gives old cuts - even though this one just seemed so white to me (not a bad thing).

I decided that - for even further peace of mind (and also insurance purposes) - I wanted to have it looked at by an outside appraiser. Not that I didn't particularly trust the jeweler (they're a well-established small chain in the Boston area), but I was (and still am) surprised at the price my fiancé paid for what he supposedly got.

Well...she confirmed that it's not clarity enhanced, it didn't test as a lab diamond, SI2 was accurate (just lucky placement of inclusions - see ring profile photo below), carat/mm was on point...but that the color was wrong. She graded it as an H-I! This made sense to me based on what I thought a K would look like in real life, but I'm still shocked because I would expect a diamond like this to sell for at least 1.5x as much based on what I've seen.

So, here I am, engaged with a beautiful ring (and, of course, my wonderful man) that is somehow even more perfect than I could have imagined. It comes to life in low lighting and of course sunlight, and I can't stop staring at it! :dance:

Obligatory photo and video dump below!

Attachments

• IMG-6638.jpg
    IMG-6638.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG-6649.jpg
    IMG-6649.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG-6655.jpg
    IMG-6655.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG-6667.JPG
    IMG-6667.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG-6677.jpg
    IMG-6677.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG-6678.jpg
    IMG-6678.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG-6695.jpg
    IMG-6695.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG-6781.jpg
    IMG-6781.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG-6784.jpg
    IMG-6784.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 154

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! I love the faceting!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! What a beautiful stone and ring.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your holiday engagement! Your fiance did so good-your ring is gorgeous!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful diamond! The facet pattern is so pretty.

Congratulations!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Congrats love the facet pattern!

Lpsl

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring! It’s perfect on you. Congratulations on your engagement ♥️

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your engagement! I love the facet pattern of the stone! So pretty!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! You fiancé chose well, that's a lovely stone!!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
It's beautiful! I love the faceting!

Thank you so much!!

Congratulations!! What a beautiful stone and ring.

Thank you! :)

Congrats on your holiday engagement! Your fiance did so good-your ring is gorgeous!

I agree hehe...thank you!!

Absolutely lovely @cettesaphir! Congratulations!

Thank you so much! :razz:
Good sign -- congratulations!

Lovely ring, too!

Thank you!!
That is a beautiful diamond! The facet pattern is so pretty.

Congratulations!

Thank you, I can't stop staring at it!

Congrats love the facet pattern!

Thanks, you and I both! :)

What a beautiful ring! It’s perfect on you. Congratulations on your engagement ♥️

Thank you so much :)

Congrats on your engagement! I love the facet pattern of the stone! So pretty!

Thank you!! I agree :)

Congratulations on your engagement! You fiancé chose well, that's a lovely stone!!

Thank you, and agreed! They're both a keeper ;)2

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Uh, yeah you are! That is a very nice rock he picked out being an unsuspecting besotted naif. They did him a solid with how great it is! :love: Beautiful.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful and looks perfect on your hand! Your happiness is so heartwarming - congrats!!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Uh, yeah you are! That is a very nice rock he picked out being an unsuspecting besotted naif. They did him a solid with how great it is! :love: Beautiful.

Hah, thanks! I think the salesperson said it came from a vintage ring. I still can't believe how perfect it is!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
It is beautiful and looks perfect on your hand! Your happiness is so heartwarming - congrats!!

Thank you so much!! I can't imagine the day when I'll get tired of staring at it :love:

Scon_ce

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much!! I can't imagine the day when I'll get tired of staring at it :love:
Hi all... I'm engaged!! My boyfriend popped the question four weeks ago today on a mini romantic getaway in NH :kiss2:

Scroll to the bottom for photos/videos, otherwise, read on for my saga:

I joined this forum however long ago because I've always loved jewelry, but also because I knew the relationship I was in was heading towards engagement/marriage and wanted to be prepared for when it was time to buy such a meaningful ring! I've been admiring everyone's fantastic bling, learning about ideal cuts, discovering OEC/OMC cuts, etc. I've been saving dozens of links/photos of setting inspirations, not being able to decide between something more vintage/antique, more modern, something in between, white gold or two-tone, 4 or 6 prongs, something off the shelf or something custom made...honestly I love them all. I figured my boyfriend and I would go to jewelry stores to try on a bunch of styles to see what I liked best, or he could propose with a stand-in ring and we go shopping together afterwards.

Much to my surprise...he proposed with an Old European cut diamond set on a simple 18k gold cathedral band with platinum prongs! He didn't consult anyone (ie my sister) and instead used all of the hints that I thought he wasn't listening to. And honestly...I'm glad he made the decision for me, since it's perfect. The diamond's faceting is gorgeous, it looks very white, it's eye-clean, and....that's all I knew about it! I almost died inside when he said the jeweler didn't give him any sort of information about the diamond - no appraisal, no certificate - just one line item on the receipt.

My amazing fiancé is not one to dive into diamond research (my passion, not his!), so I gave him a list of questions to ask the jeweler. We ended up just going to the jeweler together where the salesperson wrote up an appraisal that estimated 1.21, K, SI2, approximately 6.7mm. I was thrilled! I was always hoping to pass the 1 carat or 6mm mark, and had a soft spot for Ks (my .34 ACA necklace is a K) and the slight warmth it gives old cuts - even though this one just seemed so white to me (not a bad thing).

I decided that - for even further peace of mind (and also insurance purposes) - I wanted to have it looked at by an outside appraiser. Not that I didn't particularly trust the jeweler (they're a well-established small chain in the Boston area), but I was (and still am) surprised at the price my fiancé paid for what he supposedly got.

Well...she confirmed that it's not clarity enhanced, it didn't test as a lab diamond, SI2 was accurate (just lucky placement of inclusions - see ring profile photo below), carat/mm was on point...but that the color was wrong. She graded it as an H-I! This made sense to me based on what I thought a K would look like in real life, but I'm still shocked because I would expect a diamond like this to sell for at least 1.5x as much based on what I've seen.

So, here I am, engaged with a beautiful ring (and, of course, my wonderful man) that is somehow even more perfect than I could have imagined. It comes to life in low lighting and of course sunlight, and I can't stop staring at it! :dance:

Obligatory photo and video dump below!

Oh he did well! Gorgeous stone and the two-tone setting is perfection. Lucky you!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Well done on your fiancé’s part!! It’s a gorgeous ring and looks perfect on you! Congratulations!

ringupthebling

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!! What a beautiful ring and stone - love the faceting! :kiss2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats to you on your engagement! That is a gorgeous stone. I love the facet pattern. And as to color, it looks beautifully white. He did a great job!

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Congrats to you on your engagement! That is a gorgeous stone. I love the facet pattern. And as to color, it looks beautifully white. He did a great job!

Thank you! :) If this is what a true H/I looks like, then I'm luckily not very color sensitive! :lol:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats, you both did well.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely lovely!! Congratulations!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Lovely ring and a delight story. Wishing you and your fiancé much happiness!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! Pretty ring and great story. I loved the part about no paperwork after lurking here so long. All’s well that ends well.

cettesaphir

Rough_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results