shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm considering (finally) learning how to text

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
I have a friend I play guitar with.
Let's call him Zanzapuss (from a Louis CK skit).
We are into the geeky equipment side of it, and recording, as much as the music itself.
Zanzapuss is stronger on electric and I'm stronger on acoustic so there's mutual teaching and learning in this very gratifying musical relationship.

Zanzapuss knows I don't text, so it's been phone, voicemail, or email.
Recently he's been getting really slow to answer those, if at all.
Saturday he told me why.

Texting is his preferred technology.
He explained all the ways texting is superior, all of which I already knew and don't need to repeat here ... yet I'm sure 212,457 posters will now point them out. :roll:

Zanzapuss did not give me an ultimatum, as in learn to text or bye bye.
He just brought it up to explain not responding to email and voicemail messages of mine.

Though I stopped short of apologizing, I admitted that I'm a luddite and am well-aware if you want to be friends with anyone under 30 you MUST text.
BTW, he's 43 and I'm in my 50s, but I look like I'm 18. :love: :naughty: ;-)

So I'm considering learning to text.
I'm really 50 50.
I don't know what I'll do.
I really value the friendship, which might be at risk.

What'r your thoughts.
You could argue Kenny should text because he wants the friendship and not keeping up with technology is not a choice.
You could equally argue Zanzapuss should use email and voicemail he he values the friendship.
Are texters lazy and spoiled?
I mean, they can't spare 15 seconds and pressing a few buttons to hear a voice message?

Others have asked me to learn because they prefer texting but they've always been fine with email and voicemail.
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
If I remember correctly...aren't you an introvert?

You're supposed to hate the phone! :lol:

But seriously - you'll love texting if you are...
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
I am an introvert and do hate long rambling phone conversations.
I get to the point and say Bye.

Why would introverts prefer texting to phone or email? (you may push me over the edge, here)
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
push me over the edge

that made me laugh for some reason

I hate hate hate the phone. For any reason - although yes, if it's short and to the point it is way better than a long rambling conversation.

Sometimes I don't even want to make the phone call to order pizza.

Texting is so much more..."inward" - you don't have to talk. It's short and to the point. You can think before you write. And even when / if it's longer, it's still way better than the phone. It's so much less intrusive - you don't have to respond immediately (not that I feel that should apply to the phone) - you can glance at it, you know what it's about (no more "call me I have to tell you something" voicemails - (ETA which I HATE, btw) and if people try that via text you can ask "give me an idea what it's about" many times successfully avoiding the phone call. :rodent:

OK - if all of the above has not pushed you over the edge...(or maybe you stopped reading after the first few words and are learning how to text right this very moment :D
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,794
Oh man, texting is the way to go--and turn off read receipts if you have a phone that does them.

You can get to your point, and then be done. If it is an emergency, call obviously. If not, text a brief message, like U UP? lol
 

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
2,476
What's the current aversion to texting? I don't buy "learning to text" because it's easier than posting on these forums lol.

Much preferred to calls. I hate phone calls and openly tell friends and family that if you leave me a voicemail, I will delete it without listening. I just hate the phone in general. Texting is short and sweet.
 

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
9,717
If you can use a computer to type on here you can (even if it's slow) use a mobile device to text. Maybe you should compromise - you text him more often and occasionally he reverts to taking calls or responding to voice messages as well.
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,614
I just started texting last year. Aaaaaand I think it's the best thing ever. I don't have to talk to people if I don't want to. I can just quick send JD a text and ask if he'll be home for supper or whatever, which is especially nice b/c if he's on a stop or he's questioning or whatever, he can just text back when he gets a second and we don't have to go thru the whole ring..ring...ring...ring...ring...ring...hey this is JD, I'm busy so go ahead and leave a message...beeeep...and then leave a message "do you think you'll be home for supper? lemme know" and then he has to go thru all that to get back to me, and if I can't get to the phone he's got to leave a message and sometimes he just doesn't have the time, so it's a missed call, so I call him back and he's like "can't talk doing a search warrant" and click hang up. Instead, it's two clicks to get to the texting part, type in "supper?" and click send. niiice.

Did I mention, I don't hafta talk to anybody if I don't want to?
 

jordyonbass

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Dec 6, 2014
Messages
1,964
kenny|1444083776|3935148 said:
I am an introvert and do hate long rambling phone conversations.
I get to the point and say Bye.

Why would introverts prefer texting to phone or email? (you may push me over the edge, here)

It is an ideal way of communicating if you're an introvert. It takes away the daunting element of speaking with people in an audio manner while not having the lag time betweem messages like an email does. It's a good compromise in that regard.
 

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 24, 2003
Messages
1,945
Kenny, what type of phone do you have? Learning to text is easy on a "smartphone." I know you've said here that your phone isn't smart. Does it have a qwerty keyboard? Or perhaps "text to speech" functionality?
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
Maria D|1444088238|3935174 said:
Kenny, what type of phone do you have?

I have the ultimate phone, this awesome $19.99 Nokia.
Works like a champ and came with a free battery charger. :sun:
It even has a calculator and a flashlight. :o :appl:
I think it can send a text because I do get a text from the service provider when my pre-paid balance is low. Well, I know it can receive text, but I have never tried to send one.

It must be very very fine since everyone who sees it wants to show it to their friends and. coworkers
Their friends say things like, "OMG, I cannot BELIEVE your have THIS phone!".

BTW, Zanzapuss paid just shy of $1,000 for his phone ... the latest fanciest apple something.
When we're out and about nobody has ever asked to see HIS phone.
He pays over $100 a month.
I pay less than $15 monthly.

screen_shot_2015-10-05_at_4.png
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,614
JD started texting first (I insisted it was stupid at that time) and he had a phone like that-it was a pain in the rear not having a regular keyboard and having to click the numbers repeatedly until you got to whatever letter you wanted. It's much easier w/a keyboard.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
packrat|1444089016|3935179 said:
JD started texting first (I insisted it was stupid at that time) and he had a phone like that-it was a pain in the rear not having a regular keyboard and having to click the numbers repeatedly until you got to whatever letter you wanted. It's much easier w/a keyboard.

But then I'd have to spend more money when I already have a phone that works.
That's against my religion ... unless we're talkin bout diamonds. :naughty:
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,931
My very elderly grandfather recently got a cell phone and texts everyone. He prefers talking, always, but when out and about instead of leaving a VM he will just text. Everyone thinks its so adorable haha.
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
Kenny.

This changes everything.

It is an absolute PITA to text on that kind of phone.

I know you can find smartphones on sale for really really cheap - but the problem is having a smartphone comes with requirements as far as the type of plan you need to have and you may not want to deal with that...

But yeah...you'll hate texting on that thing.
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,614
kenny|1444089083|3935181 said:
packrat|1444089016|3935179 said:
JD started texting first (I insisted it was stupid at that time) and he had a phone like that-it was a pain in the rear not having a regular keyboard and having to click the numbers repeatedly until you got to whatever letter you wanted. It's much easier w/a keyboard.

But then I'd have to spend more money when I already have a phone that works.
That's against my religion ... unless we're talkin bout diamonds. :naughty:

I don't think it would be that much; we don't have smart phones, just slider ones. You, however, may not be as easily irritated as myself, having to click thru to get to each letter.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
CJ2008|1444089806|3935191 said:
Kenny.

This changes everything.

It is an absolute PITA to text on that kind of phone.

I know you can find smartphones on sale for really really cheap - but the problem is having a smartphone comes with requirements as far as the type of plan you need to have and you may not want to deal with that...

But yeah...you'll hate texting on that thing.

Plan?
Did you say, Plan?

I love my current plan.
It's so cheap the provider has stopped offering it to new customers.

I refuse to piss away money on stupid worthless sh!t like phone crap.
My current pre-paid plan is 10 cents a minute if I prepay at least $50 at a time, and those minutes are good for a full year.
This plan is no longer available but as long as I keep a balance, or pay within 30 days of running out of minutes, it's good for life.
I'm not sure what the texting fee is; I think it's 10 cents a text.
My plan has no data so I can't 'go on the Internets'. :roll:

I'd NEVER pay a single cent to have a phone that connects to the Internet.
What a TOTAL asinine waste of a TON of money .................... TO ME.

THEY OVERCHARGE, BUT EVERYONE JUST PAYS IT. :knockout: :knockout:
No thanks, I'll buy these GIA-graded fully-natural Red Diamonds instead. :lol:
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
CJ2008|1444089806|3935191 said:
Kenny.

This changes everything.

It is an absolute PITA to text on that kind of phone.

Well, I'd only text Zanzapuss ... and I'd keep it short.

This may amount to two texts per month.
 

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
2,476
While I think texting is revolutionary, knowing that's the kind of phone you have, maybe just abandon hope lol. "In the old days" I was really speedy at texting with those phones, but teaching you from scratch would be difficult.

Plus knowing that you don't have a standard phone plan would get costly if others start texting you. You're charged for both texts you send and receive many times (although I doubt it's as expensive as 10 cents per, last time I talked to someone with that kind of plan it was like 3 to send and 1 to receive).
 

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,750
I get you Kenny.

I have a friend who feels the same way and has a phone just like yours.

The only thing that annoys me sometimes is that whenever we're somewhere where we have to take video then he asks me to share it - which most of the time is a total pain since the files are large so it involves uploading to Dropbox etc - PITA. I know I could record in lesser quality but I don't want to.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
sonnyjane|1444091134|3935203 said:
While I think texting is revolutionary, knowing that's the kind of phone you have, maybe just abandon hope lol. "In the old days" I was really speedy at texting with those phones, but teaching you from scratch would be difficult.

Plus knowing that you don't have a standard phone plan would get costly if others start texting you. You're charged for both texts you send and receive many times (although I doubt it's as expensive as 10 cents per, last time I talked to someone with that kind of plan it was like 3 to send and 1 to receive).


But isn't that 1 or 3 cents on top of the billion-dollar monthly fee?
 

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
2,835
kenny|1444090698|3935199 said:
CJ2008|1444089806|3935191 said:
Kenny.

This changes everything.

It is an absolute PITA to text on that kind of phone.

I know you can find smartphones on sale for really really cheap - but the problem is having a smartphone comes with requirements as far as the type of plan you need to have and you may not want to deal with that...

But yeah...you'll hate texting on that thing.

I refuse to piss away money.
My current pre-paid plan is 10 cents a minute if I prepay at least $50 at a time, and those minutes are good for a full year.
This plan is no longer available but as long as I keep a balance, or pay within 30 days of running out of minutes, it's good for life.
I'm not sure what the texting fee is; I think it's 10 cents a text.
My plan has no data so I can't 'go on the Internets'. :roll:

I'd NEVER pay a single cent to have a phone that connects to the Internet.
What a TOTAL asinine waste of a TON of money .................... TO ME.

THEY OVERCHARGE, BUT EVERYONE JUST PAYS IT. :knockout: :knockout:
No thanks, I'll buy these GIA-graded fully[natural Red Diamonds instead. :lol:


I was the same way. I was the holdout of my friends and family, the last to get a smartphone. I completely agreed with you.

My husband INSISTED that I get one a few years ago (it was an iPhone 4). He did it because HE wanted to get a nice new phone and he felt less guilt if I got one too, lol. (I could tell).

Within a week I was a convert. I now hardly ever use a laptop, PC, or even tablet - upgraded to the iPhone 6 plus just recently and don't need ANYTHING but that now.

I was also a holdout on texting. It just seemed ridiculous to me at first - well, for some time really (and okay, I'm only 35. But as people like to tell me, I have the soul of an old person). Like others in here, I'm very introverted IRL, HATE talking on the phone. Texting is the best!!! I can avoid people yet still communicate. It's like it was made for people like us. I completely get it now.

Honestly, I think you'll love it, even if you're using an older phone.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
CJ2008|1444091336|3935206 said:
I get you Kenny.

I have a friend who feels the same way and has a phone just like yours.

The only that annoys me sometimes is that whenever we're somewhere where we have to take video then he asks me to share it - which most of the time is a total pain since the files are large so it involves uploading to Dropbox etc - PITA. I know I could record in lesser quality but I don't want to.

Thanks.
Saturday is the first time I even knew videos could be shot and sent with fancy phones.

We drove 1.5 hours to go to a special guitar store.
We hit a heavy traffic delay on the way home because there was a brush fire next to the freeway.
He videotaped it and sent it to his husband to prove the traffic was bad and we didn't just stay too long because we were geeking out on guitars and fancy boutique amps.

So, no, I don't take advantage of other people paying for the latest technology.
When driving there Zanzapuss DID use his fancy phone to guide our trip.
I didn't ask him to; he just did it automatically.
A woman's voice kept speaking up telling us things like, "Move to your right one lane and turn left in 1000 feet."
I admit, that was cool but more creepy than cool.
I'd NEVER accept that service for free, let alone pay a penny for it.
But I can understand how lazy people or those with no sense of direction see it as a good thing.
I've always had an excellent sense of direction.
I google up the route and look at the street view before leaving home and take notes, (Paper an pen) if it's complicated.

I still have a Thomas Guide book and AAA paper maps in my trunk.
 

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
11,515
I refuse to text and have an old grandfathered plan that does not have outgoing text that I keep as an excuse.
 

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
2,476
kenny|1444091360|3935209 said:
sonnyjane|1444091134|3935203 said:
While I think texting is revolutionary, knowing that's the kind of phone you have, maybe just abandon hope lol. "In the old days" I was really speedy at texting with those phones, but teaching you from scratch would be difficult.

Plus knowing that you don't have a standard phone plan would get costly if others start texting you. You're charged for both texts you send and receive many times (although I doubt it's as expensive as 10 cents per, last time I talked to someone with that kind of plan it was like 3 to send and 1 to receive).


But isn't that 1 or 3 cents on top of the billion-dollar monthly fee?

No no no, cell plans include hundreds of if not unlimited (as I have) texts. Pay-as-you-go phones like you have are the ones that charge per text.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
30,492
katharath|1444091458|3935210 said:
kenny|1444090698|3935199 said:
CJ2008|1444089806|3935191 said:
Kenny.

This changes everything.

It is an absolute PITA to text on that kind of phone.

I know you can find smartphones on sale for really really cheap - but the problem is having a smartphone comes with requirements as far as the type of plan you need to have and you may not want to deal with that...

But yeah...you'll hate texting on that thing.

I refuse to piss away money.
My current pre-paid plan is 10 cents a minute if I prepay at least $50 at a time, and those minutes are good for a full year.
This plan is no longer available but as long as I keep a balance, or pay within 30 days of running out of minutes, it's good for life.
I'm not sure what the texting fee is; I think it's 10 cents a text.
My plan has no data so I can't 'go on the Internets'. :roll:

I'd NEVER pay a single cent to have a phone that connects to the Internet.
What a TOTAL asinine waste of a TON of money .................... TO ME.

THEY OVERCHARGE, BUT EVERYONE JUST PAYS IT. :knockout: :knockout:
No thanks, I'll buy these GIA-graded fully[natural Red Diamonds instead. :lol:


I was the same way. I was the holdout of my friends and family, the last to get a smartphone. I completely agreed with you.

My husband INSISTED that I get one a few years ago (it was an iPhone 4). He did it because HE wanted to get a nice new phone and he felt less guilt if I got one too, lol. (I could tell).

Within a week I was a convert. I now hardly ever use a laptop, PC, or even tablet - upgraded to the iPhone 6 plus just recently and don't need ANYTHING but that now.

I was also a holdout on texting. It just seemed ridiculous to me at first - well, for some time really (and okay, I'm only 35. But as people like to tell me, I have the soul of an old person). Like others in here, I'm very introverted IRL, HATE talking on the phone. Texting is the best!!! I can avoid people yet still communicate. It's like it was made for people like us. I completely get it now.

Honestly, I think you'll love it, even if you're using an older phone.

Thanks.

Hmmm.
Texting appealing to introverts is a total surprise and very powerful.
Hmmm.

I'll have to google this.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    August Birthstone 2021 - Peridot
    August Birthstone 2021 - Peridot
    The King of Diamonds
    The King of Diamonds
    National Moon Day 2021: Moonstones
    National Moon Day 2021: Moonstones

Holloway Cut Advisor



Top