Premium
You so totally do :bigsmile:

Yay for you, Dreamer!!!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1314077494|2997172 said:
I'm keeping my baaaaybeee...

Clarity.

If we are not on track to where we want to be in six months we will revisit. But for now I choose to be luxurious and keep my ring. Because I deserve it.
Yay! So glad you thought it over. If you were feeling guilty, I think it was good you went through the process to make a decision on it. And really, I bet you can still sell it later for possibly even more if you want. But I really do think that you do deserve a little luxury in your life!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad! I was thinking about this but kinda busy and I was thinking, heck... wait a year or two and you'll get even MORE for it ;-)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you - wise choice. It can certainly be revisited in the future but for this moment in time - enjoy it!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good decision! Unless there was some reason you didn't want that particular diamond, it would cost too much to replace it later. So keeping it is very wise. :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1314101918|2997267 said:
Good decision! Unless there was some reason you didn't want that particular diamond, it would cost too much to replace it later. So keeping it is very wise. :appl:

Very true. If you sold and wanted to "undo" it -- it would have been very costly to get a comparable diamond.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY for clarity! i'm glad you are keeping it dreamer!! :appl: :))

PS is such a great place to come for thoughts, opinions, and perspectives... and i have learned that i make the best decisions when i give myself some time to sit with it all after hearing what everyone has to say. when i do that, the 'right' thing generally emerges and reveals itself to me. then i feel confident in the decision because i have explored it thoroughly here and then not rushed into action. so, i think shelving the idea and revisiting it down the road is a very wise approach!! of course, you are always giving such good advice to others, i knew you would find your way! :))

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Clarity.

If we are not on track to where we want to be in six months we will revisit. But for now I choose to be luxurious and keep my ring. Because I deserve it.

Good for you honey! I really and truly believe that if you had decided to sell it, you would have hated your decision in hind sight. You've worked VERY hard to slowly get that stone to the size it is. Yay for clarity!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock

Clarity.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! :appl: You DO deserve it!

Cachette :))

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you! You always have the chance to sell it later but if you don't need to, then I agree, don't.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock

Clarity.

:appl: :appl: :appl:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Good to hear it!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear it, Dreamer! I almost posted on this thread several times, but every time I wrote something out it just seemed unhelpful since I knew you were already analyzing the decision 1,000 ways. In any case, I'm happy you made a decision that works best for you and your family!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL! I thought this crowd might like that decision ;))

I first started pondering this about 3-4 weeks ago when I learned we could recoup all our investment. We are not in a dire situation, we do not *need* the money, but having it sort of waved in our faces was just too tempting. And who couldn't use that amount of money to make life a little easier?

But a couple things from this thread really stuck with me and helped me decide, so I am really glad I ended up posting.

First was the comment that I would not be happy without any ring at all, or only wearing my lovely 0.31ct baby ring. It's true. And when I tried to find a replacement ring that i could get for less, it all seemed a "waste" because I did not *want* a much smaller diamond. Why spend money on something I did not want? And then it circled back to how I don't want to wear nothing...

And then the comments about all or nothing struck a cord too. That really did seem to be the smart choice. But nothing seemed very bleak to me.

And buy low sell high versus sell high buy high also seemed true as good advice to follow.

And finally, the advice to be patient in paying off the debt. It is true, we will be done with it all very soon without selling the ring, so selling seems drastic and something we could easily regret. I will be happy we kept it when we are debt free anyways in about 12 months.

Put it together and it means keep the diamond I have, which is now far far for valuable to replace than I could ever afford, or justify.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you made the right choice Dreamer, good for you.

Bonus pic for the thread?? :naughty:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1314111902|2997361 said:
Glad to hear it, Dreamer! I almost posted on this thread several times, but every time I wrote something out it just seemed unhelpful since I knew you were already analyzing the decision 1,000 ways. In any case, I'm happy you made a decision that works best for you and your family!

I'm curious, NEL, since you are very good financially. Would you have sold it?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How is this Porrige?

dreamerryderring1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DD I'm late to this game but I was coming in to say that IMO if you were this torn on a decision with so many good options...then you should keep it. Esp when you said in a prev post (page 2?) that you wanted something you REALLY LOVED. I think if you really loved something you'd feel more decisive about what to do and really know more in your heart the way you wanted to go. I can be really indecisive but then sometimes suddenly I just know the right thing to do. So I am glad you are keeping it for now..!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love this diamond. When I was thinking of selling it I had to keep it locked away because it is too beautiful to part with if I look at it.

dreamerryderring2.jpg

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1314114102|2997396 said:
How is this Porrige?
Ah, there it is! Completely convinced you made the right choice! :bigsmile:

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1314027235|2996548 said:
Deia|1314004838|2996373 said:
I don't know how open you are to other alternatives but if this were me I would sell the diamond and use $1000 of it to buy an Asha or Moissy in a nice setting. It's sparkly, it's pretty and it's not a fortune. I'm don't want to start a discussion on this since it's not allowed... but there is an option for you if you're open to it. The rest of themoney (most of it basically) could be used for paying off debt, daycare etc.

It has crossed my mind! The thing is, having a nice diamond for me is not only about appearances and sparkle. I suppose part of the appeal is its value as well.

Agree with you, the value of it does make it appealing! Glad you are keeping it because even with so many options you still wanted to keep it so it would have been awful if you were to regret it later. It really is very beautiful :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1314114257|2997400 said:
Love this diamond. When I was thinking of selling it I had to keep it locked away because it is too beautiful to part with if I look at it.

Beautiful rings!!! I find bouncing ideas off others very helpful in gaining clarity.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad to hear that you were able to come to a decision that works best for you.

I am a long time lurker, and I have noticed a definite drop in posts in the main Pricescope forum asking the experts to review their diamond selections. Maybe it is off season for diamond purchases or the prices really have gotten out of hand for the average buyer.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh I am glad to read that you are keeping it :) it really is a beautiful diamond-enjoy it!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Porridge|1314114458|2997401 said:
Dreamer_D|1314114102|2997396 said:
How is this Porrige?
Ah, there it is! Completely convinced you made the right choice! :bigsmile:

I SO agree!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Your stone does meet my criteria for "big" and "mind clean" so I certainly see why you'd want to keep it! Congrats on such a nice ring and on achieving clarity in your decision. That's worth a lot in itself.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1314157382|2997994 said:
Your stone does meet my criteria for "big" and "mind clean" so I certainly see why you'd want to keep it! ...

Me too danny. I think that pondering selling this diamond made me realize how much I love it all over again, and how even though sometimes I think about a more colorless stone, the reality is, this diamond is perfect for me just as it is.

I need to look at macro photos of this rock more often, it is really just so stunning. Looks as good in person too. I am lucky to have it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are both beauties! I especially love that new 'baby' ring!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I sold my RB.

I kept deciding to keep it and would feel good about that for 2-3 days and then would circle back again and start thinking about selling it again. That obviously meant that in my heart I knew the right thing to do was recoup the money we spent on the diamond. So it is gone, off being regraded and will likely be on the market in a few weeks for some astronomical amount!

I was very sad for the first couple of days, and cried a little over the loss -- not so much the loss of the diamond itself but over what it represented to me. Reward, beauty, success. But I feel good about it now, and will feel even better in a day or so when the check gets here :devil: It is in the mail right now!

Over the last few months I had started to feel differently about my diamond than I had before. I kept feeling it was a ridiculous amount of money to have spent on something frivolous; that the size was frankly a little over the top for my lifestyle and social circle and norms where I live; and most important that I was too invested in a "thing", an object. So selling it was about getting my money back, allowing us to significalty decrease our debt and make life for our family easier, but it was also a philosophical excercise. Not everyone will agree with or understand my reasoning on this one, but I think selling the diamond was an important thing for me to do financially, but also an important excercise for me from a psychological/philosophical perspective. I don't believe it is healthy to get too wrapped up in objects and things; to impart them with meaning that does not inherently exist in the item; to obsess; to always think about more and more. Parting with this ring was an important lesson for me, and I feel good about it.

Anyways, there it is. Adios beautiful diamond, hello $11k and important life lessons.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results