shape
carat
color
clarity

I'm baaaack and seriously considering a reset - gasp!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know I haven't spent much time on pricescope in a while. It's been a whirlwind past year and a half with moving across the country, buying/renovating a home, finishing a doctorate, job hunting, etc. and I've been too distracted to enjoy my favorite hobby of diamonds. I have missed so many of you and I'm looking forward to spending more time here as things wind down.

In any case, I am seriously considering a reset. I have a gorgeous Danhov me30 (pave knife edge) with a 1.11 H/SI2 that sadly usually sits in my jewelry box. It's gorgeous, well-made, unique, and what I thought I wanted at the time. It's slowly crept in and I've been finding myself more and more attracted to simple, elegant solitaires and bezels. I feel like I am going through something similar to what Lynnb went through before she reset her stone into her lovely BGD grace setting in the thread here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-thiiiiinking-of-a-re-set-similar-to-t-co-bezet-%E2%80%A6-need-some-ideas-and-input-please.125786/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-thiiiiinking-of-a-re-set-similar-to-t-co-bezet-%E2%80%A6-need-some-ideas-and-input-please.125786/[/URL] I don't think I'm in love with pave anymore, gasp! Although my danhov is well-made and gorgeous I'm just not as attracted to the small diamond look, especially in certain lighting conditions as Lynnb mentioned.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what direction to go in and I'm hoping you guys can chime in with your wisdom, opinions, or any reflections you may have about these designs and how to know when you picked out "the one" or at least "the one for a long time ;-)". Here are a few styles I'm really loving and a couple of thoughts about each one. Also, if you have any thoughts about consigning/selling my old setting let me know.

1) A trellis style a la "Ellen" or something along these lines. This has been one of my favorite solitaire styles and surprisingly love the medium-width shank and how it looks on my hand, considering I usually go for more delicate styles.

2) A delicate and modern bezel like this jamesallen one. I am really attracted to this design, how modern it is, the sleek profile, how life-friendly it would be. It also has the added perk of probably making my stone look quite a bit larger. I'm going to try to see it in person, because I am wondering how high it is set. One thing I do know is that I like my stone set low.

3) A leonish delicate cathedral-style solitaire. I think this design is beautiful, delicate, shows off the stone well. Unfortunately, I really haven't been able to find anything quite like this to try on in person to see how I would like it. I usually don't like how thin solitaires look on me in person, but I adore them in pictures and really haven't seen any with exquisite prongs and just the perfectly sculpted look.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

ellen.png

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is tuckin's lovely jamesallen bezel, although I'd probably get it in a white metal. Look at that amazing profile!

tuckins1.png

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My apologies I'm not sure who owns this beautiful set. I love how delicate and pretty this solitaire is and the prongs are stunning.

162_1.jpg

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Welcome back! I read one of your old posts lately and had been wondering how you were!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, I think it's going to feel great to be back! By the way, is your avatar the chuley (sp?) glass sculpture ceiling at the Belagio? It's so stunning in person.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yes it is! It's breathtaking isn't it? The photo doesn't do it justice at all.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Koursie!!!! Soooo GOOD to see you!! Gosh you have been busy. I hope you are doing great! I love Ellen's ring. Have you tried on similar? I can't remember if it is hard to pair it with a band? for some reason I keep thinking that?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought so! Yes, breathtaking indeed. I remember the first time I saw it and it stopped me dead in my tracks to stare and look at it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Skip! You have crossed my mind many many times and I hope you and your family are doing well!

I have tried on similar styles and like them in person. The look seems to show off the stone well and look very classic. I don't *think* I'll have a hard time putting a band with it. In person I think thin bands work well, either diamonds or not. The bands I tried on don't fit exactly flush, but pretty close and the minor gap didn't bother me much...although those types of things sometimes do become bothersome in time when you are a perfectionist. I might also skip the band and wear my five-stone on opposite hands.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also love Ellen's ring. I always have. I had the same problem with pave stones looking off in certain lighting. It put me off my split shank setting too. If I ever buy another ring it would more than likely be a plain solitaire. I love Lynn's too. There is something about the Grace setting that really gets to me!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello Maisie, thanks for chiming in. Yes, that lighting thing is really odds isn't it? Do you think you will stick with your setting or change it to a solitaire someday, how do you know when you are going to be content for a while?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome back K :wavey: I was wondering about you, after viewing a post by you on your five stone. Anyways, I'm biased, Love diamonds in a bezel, but its not for everyone. Do you own anything bezel? could you find a fakey costume bezel ring and try for a bit just to be sure?

Threadjack- Maisie nice to see you :)) {end T/J}

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, I've found a bezel is absolutely amazing for keeping your ring safe without adding too much bulk. I was also surprised that it kept the stone cleaner than prongs did IMO. I typically clean my ring every other day more or less. But honestly it usually isn't dirty when I clean it; it really takes about a week for grub to work it's way under the bezel.

My bezel setting is really sturdy and user-friendly ;)) but it also is also very, very delicate *looking* as well as quite ornate despite the klutz-proof nature. It's got a tapered shank with channel set French cuts; the channel setting is, again, really safe and sturdy, and the wider shank, ditto. If you wanted a touch of... something... besides plain metal, engraving might be fun. Just a thought! It hides the patina of platinum well IMO, which is really nice, and obviously it's no more work than a plain shank.

I totally understand the desire to ditch micropave. It's lovely but some of us are simply not meant to own it :rodent:
(<--- also reset to get away from pave!)

So yeah my vote is for a bezel, it just shows off the patterning of a center stone like nothing else- it's still classic IMO but with a twist. And if you want user-friendly, it's awesome for not having to worry about your stone. I was really surprised at how much prongs interrupted the look of the center stone's pattern when I first saw it in the bezel- it's really cool to see the stone unadorned like that.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle|1314892537|3007448 said:
Hello Maisie, thanks for chiming in. Yes, that lighting thing is really odds isn't it? Do you think you will stick with your setting or change it to a solitaire someday, how do you know when you are going to be content for a while?

I have't had that setting for a while now. I ended up selling all of my pieces. I have a lovely antique ring that I got from ebay for a steal and its keeping me going for now. I'm going to take my time and buy what grabs my eye. If I end up changing it a way down that line, thats fine. I won't say I will keep something forever when my tastes might change over time ;))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1314892823|3007451 said:
Welcome back K :wavey: I was wondering about you, after viewing a post by you on your five stone. Anyways, I'm biased, Love diamonds in a bezel, but its not for everyone. Do you own anything bezel? could you find a fakey costume bezel ring and try for a bit just to be sure?

Hi D&T! :wavey:

(sorry for T/J Kcoursolle)

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Welcome back!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie said:
D&T|1314892823|3007451 said:

Hi D&T! :wavey:

(sorry for T/J Kcoursolle)

Hi D&T, thanks for chiming in! Yes, I own a bezel pendant and bezel earrings and I absolutely love them and have always loved bezels. My earrings and pendant are thin with milgrain around the edge. I have walked around the house putting my bezel pendant on my finger and I love it, although what makes things hard is that I don't know how I'd feel about these settings in a year or a few.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi LGK, I really appreciate your comments since it seems you have successfully converted from pave to a reset you love. It sounds like you have no regrets and still are in love with bezels. I also appreciate your comments about cleaning. I clean my rings fairly often too, but also wondering if stuff gets built up in the ridge areas ofthe bezel. Glad to hear this isn't too much of an issue.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you consider semi bezel? I only have pendants and earrings in a full bezel, and for whatever reason, as much as I love bezel I miss seeing the girdle of the diamond on rings :wacko: so I opted for semi bezel and when I view from the side (no sidebars) it reminds me of looking at waterfalls. Anyways, you can't go wrong with the other options either, I love double claws as well. ehhh now I can't decide how I'd vote for you...lol

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1314899739|3007542 said:
kcoursolle|1314892537|3007448 said:

I have't had that setting for a while now. I ended up selling all of my pieces. I have a lovely antique ring that I got from ebay for a steal and its keeping me going for now. I'm going to take my time and buy what grabs my eye. If I end up changing it a way down that line, thats fine. I won't say I will keep something forever when my tastes might change over time ;))

Wow, things have changed since I've been around, congrats on your new find! :naughty:
It sounds like you have embraced and accepted that you may change your ring one day and that's fine. I wonder too if I'm the person who may always feel the need to tinker and change things up every few years. I suppose if the hubbs is okay with it, then maybe it's not that important if I over-anayze and pick something I love now. Although...I seriously love all three ideas.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to also make things more complicated, but I keep coming back to this image in my "ring ****" folder as well. It's gorgeous and so different than anything I own. I haven't considered it carefully though because it's so unique and not like a usual engagement ring. It's probably also way out of budget and would be hard to get just right if I went custom through a ps vendor. But there is something about this picture that I keep coming back to again and again.

mccllellan.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1314904832|3007621 said:
have you consider semi bezel? I only have pendants and earrings in a full bezel, and for whatever reason, as much as I love bezel I miss seeing the girdle of the diamond on rings :wacko: so I opted for semi bezel and when I view from the side (no sidebars) it reminds me of looking at waterfalls. Anyways, you can't go wrong with the other options either, I love double claws as well. ehhh now I can't decide how I'd vote for you...lol

I love where you are thinking, but for some reason I haven't tended to like these *on my hand* even though I love the settings themselves. I'm not sure what it is and it might also be because I've tried on rather clunky semi-bezels. It might be worth finding a scholdt dealer around here somewhere and trying on a great semi-bezel they have with a very fluid shank and bezel. I also have admired this ring and I *adore* the satin finish. This might be fun to try out a some point with any of these rings for a quick modern make over.

BlueKeet%20half%20bezel.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1314909036|3007680 said:
Hi KC... I adore the BGD Elegance. I really do. That gets my vote! Happy to see you back, we've missed you!

For your browsing enjoyment... here's a thread of solitaire settings: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-favorite-plain-solitaire-setting.164906/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-favorite-plain-solitaire-setting.164906/[/URL]

I also adore the Sholdt settings.

Hey Gypsy!! I've seen that thread and love it, really beautiful inspiration. The Elegance is a gorgeous setting, very fluid, beautiful, and well-made. Oh how I wish I could try on all of these rings in person. Sadly, I haven't really been able to get a good sense of how a well-made delicate solitaire would look on my hand since there aren't many settings like that are typical stores.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The plot thickens. I just called the one danhov retailer in my area to see if they have that bezel setting for me to view in person. I talked to the goldsmith and she said that she has seen a number of these rings come back with the top portion of the setting bent over from being knocked. Apparently, it's not a very stable design since the u area is soldered onto the shank and represents a weak spot. This is a bit concerning, but I am pretty light on my rings. I would, however, prefer that this setting be set lower, which would also prevent knocking it around and potentially bending it. It's a shame though, because the profile, the u-shape, and the delicateness of this bezel is what attracted me to it. I'm not sure what she said would completely stop me from buying it, but something to think about. There has to be a way to make a delicate bezel, with an open profile, that isn't as vulnerable.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Kcoursolle! I've been wondering where you disappeared to. :bigsmile: I've always found your posts to be very helpful, especially in RT over the years.

Of the three you listed, my vote goes to the trellis setting. They're all beautiful though.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
kcoursolle|1314910058|3007698 said:
The plot thickens. I just called the one danhov retailer in my area to see if they have that bezel setting for me to view in person. I talked to the goldsmith and she said that she has seen a number of these rings come back with the top portion of the setting bent over from being knocked. Apparently, it's not a very stable design since the u area is soldered onto the shank and represents a weak spot. This is a bit concerning, but I am pretty light on my rings. I would, however, prefer that this setting be set lower, which would also prevent knocking it around and potentially bending it. It's a shame though, because the profile, the u-shape, and the delicateness of this bezel is what attracted me to it. I'm not sure what she said would completely stop me from buying it, but something to think about. There has to be a way to make a delicate bezel, with an open profile, that isn't as vulnerable.

I'm not surprised... there's a reason I have my wires under my halo:

DSCN0699_0.jpg

Have you looked to see if you have a Vatche retailer near you... you could try on the Caroline. It's a lovely setting.

Pearlmans will send you settings so you can try them on.

So will Eternity Diamonds.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh so nice to see you back Koursie!!!! We have missed you. Now I have to go back and read the thread in full...Fun project. Sounds like you are doing great. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results