shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m a newbie in need of some advice on radiant cuts....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doles75

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a radiant cut diamond for my girlfriend, and have seen two stones that I like. Here they are:

#1 - measurements 8.11 x 7.25 x 4.53
Weight - 2.24ct
Depth - 62.5%
Table - 67%
Girdle - thin to slightly thick
Cutlet - none
Polish - very good
symmetry - good
Clarity grade - VS2
Color Grade - G

#2 - measurements 7.89 x 6.88 x 4.72
Weight - 2.10ct
Depth - 68.6%
Table - 75%
Girdle - slightly thick to thick
Cutlet - none
Polish - good
Symmetry - good
Clarity grade - VS1
Color Grade - G

I'm concerned about stone #1 having a depth greater than the table. Is that a problem? Also, the table on stone #2 looks a bit large. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Justin

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Depth greater than table on #1? Did you mean table greater than depth? Are you working online or locally, can you see them side by side to compare? Can you request more information regarding crown and pavillion angles. If this is online see if you can rely on the vendor as your eyes, get their impression. Purely on the #s I'd want to know more about #2, but with fancies you need to see it to believe it.

doles75

Rough_Rock
Thanks Homer_J. I've seen both diamonds in person, but not side-by-side. They currently reside with two different dealers. I was leaning towards #2 based on appearances, but wasn't sure if the table was too large.

The GIA lists those dimensions as fine, but some diamond cutters/gemologists think that a table of greater than 67% on a radiant is too much. I suppose it comes down to whether you want an icy-white, clear looking stone, or a very sparkley stone.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
With fancies, the combination of the whole seems to govern the results. One outlier such as a large table may not be a bad thing. How do they look? Can you check them out compared to other radiants that the dealer may have, even smaller, just to see how different cut proportions fare? Make sure you take a look at them outside jewelry store lighting. Radiants sparkle like crazy when under those lights, but under normal light, sunlight or fluroescent like they appear to have a greater white light brilliance that seems more to sizzle than blind you. This is why I like this cut, a very refined subtle elegance.

Without confusing you more, have you checked the AGA cut grade charts for radiants at www.gemappraisers.com? Don't hold these numbers as the rule, but a good guide. There is no real ideal cut, just cuts that result in ideal characteristics. And there may be many different combinations that get you their. So let your own eyes be the judge.

doles75

Rough_Rock
I consulted a few sources. I spoke with a GIA gemologist and she told me what you did. There's no single set of criteria for an "ideal" cut for fancy shaped stones. Different cut qualities(within reason, of course) provide different stone characteristics, all beautiful to people with different tastes.

Thanks for the advice Homer_j. I think I'm going to end up taking stone #2. It will appeal more to my girlfriend's tastes.

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results