shape
carat
color
clarity

Illusion Set Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone wear or own new or older illusion set diamonds, for engagement rings or dress. Could you postles pictures and say what you feell about them?

I would like to see different styles as to how perhaps the ring has more thought put into it due to the diamond being smaller / or to compensate for it being smaller or make it appear larger.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By illusion set do you mean the metal work where the diamond appears bigger than it is? Or several diamonds set together to appear like one big diamond?

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is a Stuller illusion setting! Let me dig around in the computer and I''ll post you some pics......

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Here it is! Center is a .80 G SI2 Leo. Sidestones are .08 each. Wedding band is five stones, also .08. Custom made just for me!

DivaDiamond00701.JPG

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2009 12:07:23 PM
Author: Addy
By illusion set do you mean the metal work where the diamond appears bigger than it is? Or several diamonds set together to appear like one big diamond?

Hello Addy

Yes I was meaning with the metal work around the stone. Or any other new ideas, I like the look of several diamonds to look like one too but worry about security of stones.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Another. The smooth spot on the wedding band had a hook or something so it would "link" to the e-ring, but I didn''t like it so they took it off for me.

DivaDiamond1102.JPG

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Trying again.................

Last one for now. I need to get some handshots of them!

DivaDiamond122.JPG

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
A thicker millgrained bezel might also do the trick. What shape center stone?

I just bought a small transitional that has a square illusion setting--it''s cool! It hasn''t arrived yet, but when it does, I''ll post a pic.

I think old illusion settings have a wonderful charm.
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Divadiamond007 your rings are beautiful.

I am not looking for a particular shape just interested to see them all. I think they have a charm too, as though the diamonds are safe in a nest. I have not seen them discussed here before and feel they can be beautiful too.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 12:17:52 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007
Trying again.................

Last one for now. I need to get some handshots of them!
I really like your set! It''s as if your center stone is nestled within a flower of gold!

Very pretty!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DivaDiamond, your set is one of my favorites! I love the "petals" of the setting - like LuckyTexan said, it looks very flower-like. And I was heavily influenced in my idea of perfect rings by, of all things, repeated early watching of the Disney "Robin Hood." Anybody but me remember one fox proposing to another fox with a flower and a firefly fondly? Or have issues with alliteration?

Ahem.

Going back on-topic ... mine isn''t an illusion setting, but fishtail prongs have a little bit of that effect. They fill in the corners and give it the look of a slightly larger cushion cut ... and, additionally, just plain look kinda cool! Sample shot:

Sapphire Love! 017.jpg

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I have an illision set ring set. As in, the 4 stones set to look like a single centre stone.

It''s pretty, but I really would prefer a single centre stone ring in time. I bought this one to wear instead of my original engagement ring. The original is a yellow gold solitaire but I prefer white gold.

This one has plenty of sparkle though.

illusionsetering.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 3:37:52 PM
Author: merrymunky
I have an illision set ring set.
Merry, that is referred to as "invisible set," I believe, while illusion-set is a different thing (metal work around the stone to give the effect of a larger centerpiece, this is what pyramid was asking for pictures of). I only learned this quite recently, I''d always called the four-princess-to-look-like-one style "illusion-set!"

Pyramid, I don''t have any pictures for you but I just wanted to say that I love that style. Not necessarily for the whole optical-illusion thing, but I just love that it feels so antique and sweet.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 2:16:48 PM
Author: coatimundi

I just bought a small transitional that has a square illusion setting--it's cool! It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll post a pic.

1.gif
Whhaa? Another trans? Woman, am I gonna have to come over there and raid your jewellery box or what!?
9.gif

I also really like the old world charm of the illusion settings such as the one divadiamonds posted. I hope to find a cute one on ebay some day.
Pretty set Diva!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 7:35:29 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 1/17/2009 2:16:48 PM

Author: coatimundi

I just bought a small transitional that has a square illusion setting--it''s cool! It hasn''t arrived yet, but when it does, I''ll post a pic.

1.gif

Whhaa? Another trans? Woman, am I gonna have to come over there and raid your jewellery box or what!?
9.gif

I also really like the old world charm of the illusion settings such as the one divadiamonds posted. I hope to find a cute one on ebay some day.

Pretty set Diva!

heehee AJ! It''s a wee one!
3.gif

Buffy01

Shiny_Rock
wow so many different types of settings for this thread on illusion rings, my question is why isn''t halo''s in this forum, they also are an illusion cause they surround a diamond to make it look bigger.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 3:26:28 PM
Author: Circe

Going back on-topic ... mine isn''t an illusion setting, but fishtail prongs have a little bit of that effect. They fill in the corners and give it the look of a slightly larger cushion cut ... and, additionally, just plain look kinda cool! Sample shot:

They certainly do look cool, especially with that band I see peeking out. Lovely set.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Love them! Here's a pic used in my scrapbook, can take live ones later
2.gif

The set belongs to my grandmother [92] given to me last year 1.6cttw
The shank is pretty worn out, Stuller has several under Diamond Semi-set engagement section, some were a little wider than I'd like, illusion box settings also avail at findings catalogue.

DSCF4388.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 3:26:28 PM
Author: Circe
DivaDiamond, your set is one of my favorites! I love the ''petals'' of the setting - like LuckyTexan said, it looks very flower-like. And I was heavily influenced in my idea of perfect rings by, of all things, repeated early watching of the Disney ''Robin Hood.'' Anybody but me remember one fox proposing to another fox with a flower and a firefly fondly? Or have issues with alliteration?

Ahem.

Aw. That''s one of my favorite Disney moments.
5.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 5:35:54 PM
Author: Lulie
Love them! Here''s a pic used in my scrapbook, can take live ones later
2.gif

The set belongs to my grandmother [92] given to me last year 1.6cttw
The shank is pretty worn out, Stuller has several under Diamond Semi-set engagement section, some were a little wider than I''d like, illusion box settings also avail at findings catalogue.
Wow, your grandmother''s setting looks exactly like mine, except in white gold! I love it
2.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone who has replied and posted pictures.

It just came to me before I posted that we didn''t see many or any illusion settings in one place.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Diva
12.gif
Nana was one of a kind, I''ve looked but having a hard time
resetting her stones, my jeweler has recomended to re- shank the e-ring. Not sure
10.gif

DSCF4401.JPG

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Pyramid, many jewelers do have 'antique' settings avail, it won't hurt to ask, mine says they're called "couch" [design] here's a piece I purchased about a year ago from him, it's tiny [.34] in plat, I just adore it
26.gif

DSCF4406.JPG

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Side
16.gif

DSCF4407.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
This was my grandmother''s engagement ring. Don''t know how I ended up with it but she doesn''t mind that I wear it all the time. (She just wears a plain band now).

1fingera.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
And this is one that my grandpa bought her just because she liked it. It''s TECHNICALLY a three stone ring, if you can find the little diamond chips in the sides!

2fingera.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I wear these all the time because I love my grammy and I think they''re gorgeous. For an engagement ring I wanted my own, and I wanted something bigger, but I absolutely LOVE settings like this. Someday I want one like Circe''s too, with a nice warm colored OEC in it!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
OMG, How pretty!
I wish Nana knew how much my kids and I love her.....after her last stroke back in May, she's has no clue who's visiting.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results