shape
carat
color
clarity

igi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Graham

Rough_Rock
I am looking at purchasing a diamond for engagement at Jared, a large jewelry store in denver and other metropolitan areas. 2 questions,
what are your thoughts on IGI certs.?
what do you all think about the Leo Diamond cut by leo Schachter with 66 facets, good, bad, novelty, ingenius?any info would be appreciated

Paul

Rough_Rock
From my experiences, Jared prices their merchandise much higher than what you can buy the same stones for via the internet or even through other brick & mortar stores locally.

Graham

Rough_Rock
thanks for the input!
graham

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
I'd personally rate IGI as less good than EGL.Note that I'm not in the trade and this is based on comments from others who are.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
More of the same opinion from me too.
I have examined the stone and there are old posts here discussing it in detail which you could find under Leo and Brilliant rose.
It is a nice novelty.
Use the HCA to be sure the stone is well proportioned.
Garry Holloway

DiamondDog

Rough_Rock
In my experience (15 years in the diamond business) IGI certs are much more
accurate, especially in the color grade, than EGL. EGL seems to grade color about 1-2 grades too high. I've checked this theory by looking at price lists from wholesalers (not wholesalers to the public, that is a contradiction in terms) and the EGL certs are about 10-15% less expensive than a comparibly cut/quality IGI certs.. Ask yourself why this is, and you've got the answer. To see an IGI SI1-H that appears "yellow, with a crack running through it" either a diamond was mixed up with another (true professionals) or IGI really blew a call.

Chewbawca

Rough_Rock
Leo Diamonds are by far more brilliant than the same color and clarity diamond of the same size. In fact I have compared a 1 carat Leo with SI2 clarity and I color to a full cut round VVS2/VS1 calarity & G/H color. The difference under the lighting was hardly noticable, but more importantly was the difference with low lighting. There was a major & very visible brilliance & fire difference when holding the two diamonds side by side in very low lighting (like the kind of lighting you would get in a resteraunt. The Leo was breath taking! So in my oppinion Leo is the way to go. Quality is not expensive, its priceless.:bigsmile:

alexaking70

Rough_Rock
I purchased a 1/2 carat Leo Diamond from Kay over the weekend too. Is $2250 a good price?

alexaking70

Rough_Rock
Hey..thanks for the info, I just bought a Leo Diamond over the weekend at Kays.

mndds

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for quite some time for a diamond for an engagement ring also. I recently went with an IGI cert diamond from Jared in Minnesota. I dont recall all of the specs, but it is a VS2, E, 1.34, deep cut by .2% (just outside of ideal I believe), very good for polish and accompanying category (cant recall), no fluor., small inclusion only seen with a scope. The cost was $9,000. I am amazed with all the bias towards the AGS/GIA cert. Every diamond that I have looked at with and AGS/GIA (cant remember) cert has been of poorer quality than the IGI I decided on. I keep hearing "our SI (AGS/GIA) is equal to other people's VS2 (IGI)" and that has not been the case. I saw an SI, 1.0k, F, most other specs were similar except good rating instead of vg. This diamond looked slightly yellow I could see inclusions without a scope. The price on this diamond was $10,000 or so. In this particular instance, in my opinion the IGI system is more reliable. I am not a gemologist by any means, but I certainly question a grading system that has people making claims that I mentioned above and then see an example that is so far off of the mark it isn't funny.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results