shape
carat
color
clarity

If you were looking for a red diamond . . .

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1305577211|2923322 said:
Hey, while I have you guys on the phone which of these 3 blues do you like the best? Left, Middle or Right?

Please consider nothing but the color and the cut you see in these pics.
Please don't look them up before voting.
Just go with your gut.

Well, for me it's a no brainer if you're just asking about color because the one on the right is more saturated than the one on the left (the larger oval). However, if the one on the left has violet in it's hue, well, then . . . . :naughty:

Again, it's hard to think about FCD's as one would think about other colored gems, as rarity of a certain hue is so important to many collectors.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I like the pureness of color of the right one but the middle one has a more appealing cut to me. Often the way FCD are cut I think they look included even when they are VS+.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Far right for me.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1305577211|2923322 said:
Hey, while I have you guys on the phone which of these 3 blues do you like the best? Left, Middle or Right?
All the pics in one column is the same diamond.

Please consider nothing but the color and the cut you see in these pics.
Please don't look them up before voting.
Just go with your gut.

middle - best combination of color depth and cut

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Far right because it has the most blue (without grey modifier) and, to me, it has a more pleasing colour.

Then middle because it has more blue than the one on the left that has more grey/violet.

Going to look them up now!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
good article, Kenny....thanks for posting!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1305614662|2923767 said:
TL|1305577056|2923317 said:
Thanks Kenny,
I did not know that about Fancy Reds. I suppose there's no Fancy Intense Violet either. ??????

I hope you get your red diamond to help round out your collection.

TL, I thought you'd find this article about violet diamonds interesting . . .

http://www.modernjeweler.com/web/online/Diamond-Gem-Profiles/Violet-Diamond/2$284

Thanks Kenny,
Great article, and the Holy Grail of Colored Diamond collecting seems to be Fancy Violet (no secondary).

Now I know where I've seen a Fancy Intense Violet before.

Leibish sold this to one very very lucky collector. It's a 13 point Fancy Intense Violet (GIA). :naughty:

fancyintenseviolet.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't remember what these were graded, but they are off Arthur Langerman's blog. Sorry for the thread hijack. Since we were talking very rare fancy reds, I thought I'd bring up violets.

Violet_diamonds_wow.JPG

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the right stone Kenny. The left has more grey and green in it to me, and I like the lighter hue of the other.

AGBF - Great minds think alike... ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did it.
I couldn't help it.

It's small but it's red.
The stork should drop this pupy down our chimney in around a week.

Fancy Red Diamond Sold..png

jasper.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Wow..daddy warbucks tossing around the big bills.... Very cool..I bet you will be on pins and needles until both stones arrive.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your two new deliveries Kenny!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys.
This field of specialized knowledge is not without expensive pitfalls, so your expertise and support means a lot to me.

This FCD thing has been all about taking risks and following my heart, a revolutionary change for me.
While I don't yet fully understand it or where it will lead, I'm know that I'm pursuing something with this collection and the photography.
I feel like an lucky and quirky artist exploring an unusual medium.

Then again, maybe it's just gas, or the wine. :bigsmile: ;))

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
you will be in an elite club that owns a true red..a little envy coming from me ;)) =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1305841801|2925995 said:
Thanks guys.
This field of specialized knowledge is not without expensive pitfalls, so your expertise and support means a lot to me.

This FCD thing has been all about taking risks and following my heart, a revolutionary change for me.
While I don't yet fully understand it or where it will lead, I'm know that I'm pursuing something with this collection and the photography.

Was this one part of the annual Tender?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1305845929|2926060 said:
kenny|1305841801|2925995 said:
Thanks guys.

Good question.
Because it is so small my gut says, Goodness No!
My impression is that lots from the Argyle Tender are in the 6-figures and go to the big shots, like Arab Sheiks and Rockefellers.

I think the Argyle tender (that annual invitaion-only, closed-bid auction of Australia's Argyle mine's 50 or so best rocks) includes only the most important pinks over a half ct.
. . . but I don't recall reading about a minimum weight for pure reds or the super duper rare Argyle blue or violet. :love: :love: :love:
All three of these are much more rare than pinks.

Perhaps all of the reds without hue-modifiers, violets and blues are included in the tender, if any are even found that year.
This red being a VS1 may have improve its odds too, since pure reds usually have low clarity.

I'll ask.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, that comparison of the 3 blue diamonds was me considering trading in my blue to help pay for this red.
The two blues on the left were Deep blues that were temporarily under consideration but you guys helped me decide against them.
Thanx.

I decided to keep my blue, which was the diamond on the right, a 0.16 VS2 Fancy Vivid Blue.
Though near the pale end of the Vivid scale, it is a pure blue without a gray modifier per GIA.

FYI, Leibish said its hue saturation was a 3 on their scale of 1 - 10 for Vivid blues.
They are also priced according to this 1 - 10 scale too.
Interesting, since I was under the impression that all FCDs in one of GIA's color grades would be the same price.

There sure is a lot to learn about these little guys.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Damn Kenny!!! I'm a green eyed monster over here! You are one lucky guy! :love: :$$): =) :love:

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Hail to the FCD king!

amazing amazing collection. Can't wait to see your tiny sparkly rainbow

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you, and thank you for sharing - and I don't mean that in the smarmy way it sounds!

You are in the privileged position of being able to collect these little beauties. You are gracious about it, and allow us all to be voyeurs as you collect. You share with us your thinking and take what are indisputably the best photos around. What more could we want? Keep it coming - and congrats on your little, clear red beautiful baby. :appl: [Note: we need to have a little emoticon of champagne toasters or cigar smokers].

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Way to go Kenny ! Lots of pics please.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1305845929|2926060 said:

No, it was too small.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very many congratulations. I can't wait to see photos of them both. It'll be interesting to see how you feel when you put the red next to your lovely emerald cut purplish/pink(??????)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results