shape
carat
color
clarity

If you were looking for a red diamond . . .

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
You mean other than that it is the same price as a new Lexus?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, well, price and size are kind of a given here.
If you want to go to the disco you can't complain about the loud music.

GIA calls it a natural red diamond with no color modifiers.
VS1 is not very usual in reds.

Also if you need to hightail it out of the country FAST this is easier to sew into the seam of your underwear than a new Lexus.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It seems like the nicest red discussed here thus far. I remember one was so dark it looked like an old bloodstain and this is truly crimson. Although I think your taste is cuts is similar to mine (i.e. preference for chunky or streamline faceting vs crushed ice) and for that price you shouldn't have to compromise on an cut you aren't crazy about. Shouldn't you be like a Liebish "perfered member" by now where they call you whenever they get wind they may be receiving inventory you'd like?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1305497537|2922553 said:
Also if you need to hightail it out of the country FAST this is easier to sew into the seam of your underwear than a new Lexus.

Yeah but you'd be walking so the Lexus would be faster!

If you want a red without modifiers then yes, it's lovely. I can't get my head around the size though Kenny - one sneeze and you've lost it!

I have to be honest and say the purplish reds appeal more to me. By comparison (and I know it shouldn't and this is wrong), the one you're considering looks like it has more orange.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1305497936|2922555 said:
It seems like the nicest red discussed here thus far. I remember one was so dark it looked like an old bloodstain and this is truly crimson. Although I think your taste is cuts is similar to mine (i.e. preference for chunky or streamline faceting vs crushed ice) and for that price you shouldn't have to compromise on an cut you aren't crazy about. Shouldn't you be like a Liebish "perfered member" by now where they call you whenever they get wind they may be receiving inventory you'd like?

Actually, one Lexus is a few thou cheaper but I doubt a GIA pure-red asscher or emerald cut this cheap is going to float down the river during my lifetime.
There is just too much $$$$$ at stake since those cuts don't amp up the color saturation.
They may result in a pink instead of a red.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1305498353|2922561 said:
kenny|1305497537|2922553 said:
Yeah but you'd be walking so the Lexus would be faster!
If you want a red without modifiers then yes, it's lovely. I can't get my head around the size though Kenny - one sneeze and you've lost it!
I have to be honest and say the purplish reds appeal more to me. By comparison (and I know it shouldn't and this is wrong), the one you're considering looks like it has more orange.

Well I've sneezed a few times but haven't lost my tender luscious sensual 8-point Fancy Intense Greenish Blue Pear.
I'll tell you, I've learned from experience that small, while not forgivable in men, is forgivable in certain colors of diamonds.
That 8-pointer just slays me every time I see it.

You are paying for the color.
It can be worth it.

About that orange . . . are you referring to the orange in girdle in the side shot?
That looks SO much more orange than the rest of the diamond in this view, and the other 2 views, that I suspect that orange must have been the result of diffusion not body color.
What do you guys think?
This is important as the price would not be appropriate if the red was orangy pink or orangy red.

Screen shot 2011-05-15 at 2.37.18 PM.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I see it in the face up shot also.

If it's calling your name then it's a no brainer. Can you get it for a look?

BTW I know size isn't everything (well I'm sure men like to hear that anyway :wink2: ). To be honest, finding a fancy red diamond with no modifiers is no mean feat. They don't come round very often, so the cut and size really become side issues!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1305501066|2922599 said:
Actually I see it in the face up shot also.

If it's calling your name then it's a no brainer. Can you get it for a look?

BTW I know size isn't everything (well I'm sure men like to hear that anyway :wink2: ). To be honest, finding a fancy red diamond with no modifiers is no mean feat. They don't come round very often, so the cut and size really become side issues!

Really? You feel the two face up shots lean towards the warm (orange) not the cool (purple)?
On my monitor they definitely lean towards cool.
But that's monitors for you.

"finding a fancy red diamond with no modifiers is no mean feat" True Dat!, especially one this cheap.

Yes, I can get it for a test drive.
Leibish is very understanding, though return shipping and insurance for these royal bratty kids is quite dear.
They must travel via an armored truck type of service, like Brinks.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I can see both orange and purple on my monitor, a tiny bit more orange than purple though. I love the colour (and cut) regardless. If it makes your heart sing then go for it !

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1305496540|2922538 said:
. . . do you see anything wrong with this one?

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/5087.htm

I wouldn't buy it for beauty because the red hue kind of masks the sparkle, unlike a pink diamond. This is purely an investment stone as it has no secondary color, and that's as rare as it gets for colored diamonds. This will be purely a collector's gem. You are not really buying it for beauty, but rarity. Don't expect a Burmese ruby red either, as the red in red diamonds is not that saturated.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny, I wish I had that much money to spend on a tiny stone! After swallowing a few times to get past my first envy reaction, I have to say that I find nothing whatsoever wrong with that stone! Not given the parameters you laid out. If I were looking for a red diamond, meaning that I knew that they cost what they cost and that their saturation is what it is, I think I would fall deeply in love with that particular red diamond. It looks like a simply fabulous red!!!

Hugs,
Deb
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Kenny, have you pulled the trigger? I see it is now reserved..... Do let us know your feedback when you receive it. And please, please post some photos! :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
happybear|1305520935|2922812 said:
Kenny, have you pulled the trigger? I see it is now reserved..... Do let us know your feedback when you receive it. And please, please post some photos! :naughty:

Thanx all.
Well, while I do wish it was an asscher or an emerald cut, I did pull the trigger, but don't know if I hit the target.

Tomorrow I'll find out whether someone else pulled the trigger before I did.
As I've posted before, the hot FCDs go fast.
You snooze; you lose.

A red diamond.
Could it be? :Up_to_something: :cheeky: :Up_to_something: :cheeky:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chamois|1305504152|2922637 said:
I can see both orange and purple on my monitor, a tiny bit more orange than purple though.

Here are all 3 of the diamonds that Leibish has in stock with Red as the primary hue.
Each horizontal row has 3 shots of the same diamond.
The top two are GIA Purplish Red.
The bottom is GIA Red with no secondary hue modifier, and is the one I'm shooting for.

I can clearly see the purple in the top two.
I know only the only true hue test is in person but now that they are all 3 on the same screen do you still see more orange than purple in the bottom one?

Screen shot 2011-05-16 at 12.12.17 AM.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1305528183|2922857 said:
I can see both orange and purple on my monitor, a tiny bit more orange than purple though.

Here are all 3 of the diamonds that Leibish has in stock with Red as the primary hue.
The bottom is GIA Red with no secondary hue modifier, and is the one I'm shooting for.

I know only the only true hue test is in person but now that they are all 3 on the same screen do you still see more orange than purple in the bottom one?

The red one with no secondary hue is not as attractive to me (color wise) as the other two, but I do realize it's rarer. Although it has inclusions, I prefer the top one the best because it appears to have the largest "face up" and the best color which will enable some sparkle to get through.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny - Besides the fact that it isn't mine, I don't see anything wrong with the stone.

The first two look like wine to me, so I do see the purplish hue to them. I can't say I'd turn those down either though. :naughty:

Too bad I'll never be rich enough to entertain the idea haha!

Good luck! I hope you love it! It'll be the perfect addition to your collection.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1305560978|2923055 said:
Kenny - Besides the fact that it isn't mine, I don't see anything wrong with the stone.

I don't know why we so often think alike, dragonfly, but we do. We do!!!

Deb
:read:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, still a tad more orange in the bottom one. I do personally prefer the 3rd one out of the three, shape and consistant appearance within appeals to my eyes the most, that's just me though. Go with what you like best =)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chamois|1305564067|2923100 said:
Yes, still a tad more orange in the bottom one.

That's why I prefer the other two, I don't like orange in red gems, however, I'm thinking it from the standpoint of a colored gem (non FCD) collector. Now, you have to ask Itzak which is the most desirable, as the Fancy red probably is to most collectors, putting beauty aside. I don't think FCD collectors always collect what is most beautiful, but what is most rare, when rarity is paramount. You may be different however. If it were me, I wouldn't get any of them because I don't personally find any of them attractive, and I would go with a Fancy Intense Pink instead, but I'm not a serious FCD collector.

When spending large amounts of money on such a tiny piece of material, you probably can't always think about beauty, but you have to think about what is the best investment. It's not like you're going to find tons of Fancy Reds (no secondary) to compare to others every day, like the abundant Fancy Yellows out there. The Fancy red is what it is, that GIA paper gives it it's value, not the cutting, the look, or anything else. It's super rare, so you would be getting it to have a Fancy Red, unless you come across another Fancy Red that you prefer better, but considering how incredibly rare they are, I don't know if that's going to happen any time soon.

I guess what I'm saying is that you're trying to evaluate beauty, cut and other peripherals based on three gems, but they might not be comparable because the color designation of the bottom one trumps the other two automatically. There are some FCD collectors that go nuts when they see a certain color, and they will buy it no matter what it looks like. Fancy violet (no secondary) is another color that comes to mind in that type of category.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
kenny, i seriously doubt the orange is coming from the stone... the photographer might have been wearing an orange tshirt while taking pictures of the stone... and what you see there is a reflection of some piece of clothing... i guess we'll just have to sit tight until you take pictures of it when you get it on your hands! :love:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Me thinks the orange looks like dispersion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1305575591|2923292 said:

That one strip of orange along the girdle appears to be reflected from someting else, or it could be dispersion. However, based on the photos, the overall body color of the Fancy Red appears to be less saturated in it's hue than the top Fancy Purplish Red. There are various levels of saturation within a GIA saturation designation meaning "Fancy light, Fancy, Fancy Intense, Fancy Vivid." For example, a Fancy Yellow can be various saturations of yellow until it goes up a mark by Fancy Intense, and then to Fancy Vivid. There are GIA color charts on FCD's that show this from a visual perspective.

In the case of one Fancy Red vs another, I don't know if this makes much of a difference in value, as the color is so rare. I don't know if I've ever even seen a Fancy Intense Red.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

I love the first but I think that is the .50 carat Argyle? Youza, what a price, but a beautiful stone.

I'm thinking that a pure red will look relatively orange-y to a purple red simply because true red is closer to orange on the color wheel so that may not be a good test.

Here's another pure red diamond that was sold. Maybe its a better comparison?

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/4409.htm

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1305575828|2923296 said:
kelpie|1305575591|2923292 said:

That one strip of orange along the girdle appears to be reflected from someting else, or it could be dispersion. However, based on the photos, the overall body color of the Fancy Red appears to be less saturated in it's hue than the top Fancy Purplish Red. There are various levels of saturation within a GIA saturation designation meaning "Fancy light, Fancy, Fancy Intense, Fancy Vivid." For example, a Fancy Yellow can be various saturations of yellow until it goes up a mark by Fancy Intense, and then to Fancy Vivid. There are GIA color charts on FCD's that show this from a visual perspective.

In the case of one Fancy Red vs another, I don't know if this makes much of a difference in value, as the color is so rare. I don't know if I've ever even seen a Fancy Intense Red.

A few months ago a GG who used to grade FCDs for GIA (forgive me but I do not recall his name) posted on PS that GIA does not have a Fancy Intense Red grade.
When it comes to Red, GIA has no Fancy Vivid Red, or Deep or or any of the usual saturation levels.
The only saturation grade GIA gives to a red is Fancy Red.

Clearly, Fancy Light Red would be a pink.
What confuses me is they have Vivid Pink and Deep Pink and Red is certainly not stronger in tone that Deep Pink.

In response to what you said earlier about collectors want what's rare I get that.
I have always wanted a pure red, blue, and green diamond since they are the 3 primary colors for light.
Two down, one to go.

The 3 primaries for pigments are blue, yellow and red.
Again two down, one to go.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny - yes I still see orange. What I also see, and I noticed it last night when I compared the three side by side (as you've done above) is that the top two appear to have more life. The bottom one looks subdued in comparison. However, these are just photos and I would agree with TL completely that it depends whether you're buying it for its rarity (i.e. red with no modifiers) OR because it's a red diamond.

Good luck with the trigger - I hope you've found the mark!

ETA - I see that the rarity is the over-riding factor for you. In that case, it's the one for you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kenny,
I did not know that about Fancy Reds. I suppose there's no Fancy Intense Violet either. ??????

I hope you get your red diamond to help round out your collection.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, while I have you guys on the phone which of these 3 blues do you like the best? Left, Middle or Right?
All the pics in one column is the same diamond.

Please consider nothing but the color and the cut you see in these pics.
Please don't look them up before voting.
Just go with your gut.

Screen shot 2011-05-16 at 11.42.36 AM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results