shape
carat
color
clarity

If you were graduating from high school today...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy...Could you ask him what sort of degree(s) would work for that field of work?

Hi tyty, he said it depends from which angle you are approaching it. Do you want to work on the business side? Then undergrad in business and perhaps MBA. Do you want to work on the engineering side? Then undergrad and engineering degree. There is a lot of diversity within the energy field and you can even get a Bachelor's in Business Administration in Sustainability and Green Energy. Something for (almost) everyone.

Greg wasn't sure what he wanted to do when he went to college so he took time off between college and grad school (he went cycling across the country east coast to west coast for 5 months with a good friend and then took some time working) before he went to business school and got his MBA. Then he got his JD and he worked for the DEP for a number of years. But he has done various things with his career involving ethical business practices, the environmental field and teaching (at an engineering school and law school) so just goes to show one doesn't have to be locked into any career choice if one has diverse interests and experience. Sometimes the degree is critical but more often than not your motivation and passion can be more than enough to get you into a field you love.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy...I do think he has the capacity for an engineering degree but not sure if he has the gumption to get threw it. Unfortunately part of his
immaturity is that need for immediate gratification. Makes getting any degree difficult and will probably make a hard engineering degree impossible.
Diverse interest??? He has no interest:lol-2:...currently trying to figure out what might peak his interest. A field that has lots of different opportunities
would be an excellent idea. If you decide you dont like something you can move on to something else in your field.

Thanks for your feedback Missy. It really helps to see/hear how other people "found" their way to a good career.

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 my son is in the 11th grade as well. He is an artist. He doesn't really want to go to college but knows he should. I am terrified of the next year. I have had him see a bunch of art schools. Even flew him to California where a friend hosted him and took him to some schools. He refuses to leave NYC. I am worried he is not up to snuff to get in into the handful here. I am all for liberal arts in college. Some place that doesn't have you declare a major until 2 years in. I think kids need to be able to explore before being made to pick. I didn't have much exposure to the world where i grew up and I picked a direction to early and it was the wrong direction. I should have probably been a lawyer or police detective or makeup artist or sold wedding gowns. I am 50 and l still am confused. Can'the you tell from my random list? My industry is tiny and way too small.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy...Could you ask him what sort of degree(s) would work for that field of work?

Engineering. My father...he is 88....was an environmental engineer before the specialty had a name. He studied chemical and mechanical. Very successful.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My suggestion is to always consider the geographical constraints for any career. Lots of paths allow you to choose where you live while others force you to go where the job is. Speaking from experience here, lol. DH is very geographically limited in the places he can go in his field.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
I would study sociology/socio-politics, psychology, and analytical mathematics to Master's level to become Socio-political Analyst/Consultant. I wouldn't care how much it pays because I would be living a life doing what I love and I have never understood the value society places on money. Time is the only thing that you can't create.

I spent a year in my 20s trying to find myself and read all the books that say if you do what you love, money will come but didn't really understand it. I see now one day as I was sitting on a train at 34 and contemplating life. There are billions of professions out there and every single one has a different combination of experience and skills. I don't see how the less than 100 majors you can pick in college can cover them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results