shape
carat
color
clarity

If you were graduating from high school today...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
and planning on going to college.

What would you major in?
What major would be the "best bang for the buck" today?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No clue whatsoever.::) Glad I am not graduating from high school and entering college today!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would much rather get a general broad education, then start focusing after a few years. Then narrow down to one area for grad school. But that is a luxury!
I thought I wanted to be a grade school teacher and got all the way to student teaching before I realized as an introvert I could not cope with the exhausting demands. I ended up as an experimental research scientist in oncology, then taught high school science in a lab I created, then in my 40's went back to school and got an MFA and taught art. No way I've could have planned ahead for all of that.

I think good nurses are in high demand. I meet more and more young people who are studying farming on a scientific level. A knee jerk reaction would be to say the tech field, but it is already flooded with workers? Robotics sounds timely. I do think some of the service related fields would make a successful and satisfying career.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question!!! I think I would probably major in Nursing. Great hours, good pay, meaningful work.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the major that teaches you how to build an enticing social media platform that you give away for free in exchange for personal information which you then sell for enormous profit? I would recommend that one.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious to see answers to this thread...wish we had more guys on PS. :(

I have a son that is in 11th grade. I told him he needs to start figuring out what his plans are for after next year. He doesnt really like school.
Why would he want to do more school??? He is smart enough but immature, introverted, and dare I say quite lazy. Getting him to do anything
is like pulling teeth or pushing a rope uphill as my DH puts it. Its exhausting!

We've talk about the benefits of college often throughout the years and that would be our* wish. I dont see him going away to school. It would
be just too much for him (introverted and deals with generalized anxiety). There are 2 descent colleges close by that he could attend if he so wished.

Just not sure what he wants to do. He specializes in NOT making decisions. If anyone has any good ideas for what a guy could major in, please
pass it on.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think the job prospects are better at a 2 year tech school than a 4 year degree. But there are benefits to some just to get a good liberal arts education while they figure out what they want to do if the finances allow that without debt. Unless one has a clear plan at age 18 to be a nurse, teacher, or something that requires a master's or higher, I am not sure the 4 year degree has a great deal of value in terms of getting a job these days. Our last child is about to graduate with an art degree, and it is possible she may have to do additional training to actually get a decent job. But in no way was she ready at 18 to just go out and work (because fast food would be about all that's out there for no college, no training), so we were able to send her to broaden her knowledge and work on her area of talent. Now we'll have to see what jobs are out there or whether she'll train for a year for a specific job.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nowadays, I think that getting a 2-year degree in a trade will get you a higher paying job in many sectors.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a son that is in 11th grade. I told him he needs to start figuring out what his plans are for after next year. He doesnt really like school.
Why would he want to do more school??? He is smart enough but immature, introverted, and dare I say quite lazy. Getting him to do anything
is like pulling teeth or pushing a rope uphill as my DH puts it. Its exhausting!

We've talk about the benefits of college often throughout the years and that would be our* wish. I dont see him going away to school. It would
be just too much for him (introverted and deals with generalized anxiety). There are 2 descent colleges close by that he could attend if he so wished.

Just not sure what he wants to do. He specializes in NOT making decisions. If anyone has any good ideas for what a guy could major in, please
pass it on.

Is he artistic? What does he enjoy doing in his spare time? Does he tinker with electronics, create stuff, read? What are his interests? If he enjoys it there’s a good chance he won’t be unmotivated when it comes to that specific activity. It’s a matter of finding what he loves and going with that and making a career choice from that interest.

I agree with @diamondseeker2006 a 2 year technical school can be better for many individuals over 4 year liberal arts education.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 there's an interesting book on this topic of boys being unmotivated and disconnected called Boys Adrift. I recommend reading it. Perhaps you will find it helpful and may even have your son read too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is he artistic? What does he enjoy doing in his spare time? Does he tinker with electronics, create stuff, read? What are his interests? If he enjoys it there’s a good chance he won’t be unmotivated when it comes to that specific activity. It’s a matter of finding what he loves and going with that and making a career choice from that interest.

I agree with @diamondseeker2006 a 2 year technical school can be better for many individuals over 4 year liberal arts education.

Hi Missy...he is not artistic and all he really likes to do is play games on the computer and bowl. He does not read, hates to travel, and is not very
creative. He is so different from my DH and me. It just leaves us lost. The only thing that I can say is that he has taken a tech class for 3 years
in HS and is now AutoCad certified (he just passed the test). There are a few other CADs that he said he might try to get qualified for. I assume that
means he enjoying that subject because you do not have to get qualified. It is an option in the class. Maybe I can get him to design my next ring???
I'll have to look around to see if there is any kind of 2 year design school that he can add on to later for a 4 year degree.

@tyty333 there's an interesting book on this topic of boys being unmotivated and disconnected called Boys Adrift. I recommend reading it. Perhaps you will find it helpful and may even have your son read too.

Interesting baby monster...I also have a 24 year old son that is SLOWLY making his way through school. He really does not like college but knows it
should help him. He has been working at a lawyers office for the last 4 years but I fear that it is a dead in job. I dont see him wanting to become
a lawyer. The only other option would be to become a case manager. I dont think there is much you can do besides that in his current line of work.

I will have to check out that book because my boys seem to be adrift:confused2:...one may be slowly making his way toward shore!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Computer science.

Computers are everywhere!
Like cars? Write software for self driving or navigation or stereo.
Interested in medical? Get into prosthetics or genetics or automatic medicine dispenser (such as real time blood sugar management).
Artistic? Go into animation or game design or graphic arts.
Musical? Software to transpose music or keyboards that enter what you play into sheet music.
Robots? Space exploration? The list goes on!
Teacher? Teach CS in school or math or one of many new design, engineering, or science classes.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would earn a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. I started working toward that before I met DH, and went in a different direction. It puts you in the medical field, without having to deal with bodily fluid :).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question!!! I think I would probably major in Nursing. Great hours, good pay, meaningful work.
I agree, DD#2 will be starting her 3rd nursing job next week after only 15 months since she graduated from nursing school. Nursing is in high demand especially in our area. She got a job from the company that she really likes to work for.

Her first job was out of town 45 mins drive from home. Her second job was back in town. they hired her on the spot during her interview. Her 3rd job which she'll start next week was offered to her one day after her interview. She will be working 32 hrs per week with this new job, but will make more money than working 36 hrs per week at her current job.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pass it on.
A couple of thoughts.
My DD did not know what to do and so meanwhile got a two year degree in film studies and animation. It was terrific for her...everything from learning to use power tools to build sets to writing screen plays.
A very creative two years and was a cool thing to do.
Also your son might try some career counsel and testing then perhaps an internship in one of the top choices.
I believe the key is to keep busy and explore areas of interest at his age; get some sort of education under his belt while developing confidence.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this time I'd bust ass and go to med school to be a obstetrician

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this time I'd bust ass and go to med school to be a obstetrician

Are you sure its too late? According to Kenny's thread most women would prefer a female OB/Gyn!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the major that teaches you how to build an enticing social media platform that you give away for free in exchange for personal information which you then sell for enormous profit? I would recommend that one.

Hahaha!
Good one!

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 1.14.02 PM.png

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would earn a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. I started working toward that before I met DH, and went in a different direction. It puts you in the medical field, without having to deal with bodily fluid :).
Pays well too, if you can get thru the degree.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of thoughts.
My DD did not know what to do and so meanwhile got a two year degree in film studies and animation. It was terrific for her...everything from learning to use power tools to build sets to writing screen plays.
A very creative two years and was a cool thing to do.
Also your son might try some career counsel and testing then perhaps an internship in one of the top choices.
I believe the key is to keep busy and explore areas of interest at his age; get some sort of education under his belt while developing confidence.

I'd be thrilled if he worked on a 2 year degree! He really does need time to mature...he will only be 17 when he graduates and tends to be on the
immature side anyway. I havent figured out how you make a person mature faster???

I did look around some and found some jobs wanting AutoCad certifications. They were pretty low paying. Some of the jobs even wanted bachelor
degrees and topped out at $50k (with lots of experience). I guess I dont have to help him figure out his whole future...a plan for just the next few
years would be good enough for now. If I could just get him excited about something/anything (???) I'd be happy!

@baby monster I look up Boys Adrift and our local library has a copy. Might drive over tomorrow and check it out.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son knew from the age of 4 that he wanted to do something with computers :shock:

He did a BSc in Computing and an MSc in internet security. Needless to say, he’s never had trouble getting a job.

I wish I’d studied sciences instead of languages because I’d have like to be a vet.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be thrilled if he worked on a 2 year degree! He really does need time to mature...he will only be 17 when he graduates and tends to be on the
immature side anyway. I havent figured out how you make a person mature faster???

I did look around some and found some jobs wanting AutoCad certifications. They were pretty low paying. Some of the jobs even wanted bachelor
degrees and topped out at $50k (with lots of experience). I guess I dont have to help him figure out his whole future...a plan for just the next few
years would be good enough for now. If I could just get him excited about something/anything (???) I'd be happy!

@baby monster I look up Boys Adrift and our local library has a copy. Might drive over tomorrow and check it out.

I was a late bloomer, and so was my daughter. I know from experience that of course you will worry, but he will figure it out.

BTW...perhaps of interest? I took a course at Duke called "What Am I going to Do with the Rest of My Life?"
It started with the Briggs-Meyer personality test and the results came with lists of occupations for the various personality types. I wonder if his school counseling office does testing.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, they make good money. we have 6 Pharmacists in our intermediate family.

Last edited:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have gone into the medical field but not where you actually have to touch people, maybe radiology. A technician, not a doctor. I would have spent as little as possible for school though. I'm a work/life balance person so business would never have been my thing.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My younger brothers are heading into 10th grade. One will absolutely go into college for something with computers, the other will go to some type of trade school.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK so I just posed this question to my dh.

My dh said he would like to do something with alternative energy. Geothermal etc. There are lots of opportunities in energy as our energy consumption is only going to go up and it's a field he said he can make a real difference.

(FYI he is currently in the environmental field and loves what he does).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medical school. Bust ass instead of drinking, drugging, etc etc.. become an ER physician, no look back. But I got a degree in Business, it had its interesting classes, but in my heart, an MD.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK so I just posed this question to my dh.

My dh said he would like to do something with alternative energy. Geothermal etc. There are lots of opportunities in energy as our energy consumption is only going to go up and it's a field he said he can make a real difference.

(FYI he is currently in the environmental field and loves what he does).

Missy...Could you ask him what sort of degree(s) would work for that field of work?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a late bloomer, and so was my daughter. I know from experience that of course you will worry, but he will figure it out.

BTW...perhaps of interest? I took a course at Duke called "What Am I going to Do with the Rest of My Life?"
It started with the Briggs-Meyer personality test and the results came with lists of occupations for the various personality types. I wonder if his school counseling office does testing.

I believe when he was a freshman he took a semester class that was suppose to help him figure out what he wanted to do. I asked him about it and he
said he didnt know what the results of the class were {rolls eyes}. I think it would be worth wild to find another class for him to take.
Myers/Briggs...I'm pretty sure he is an I*TJ. Not sure about the N/S. I should look around on-line to see what types of jobs work for his M/B type.
Thanks for the reminder...

He told me he likes to solve mysteries. He was asking about being a detective. I told him that most detectives are cops first. I basically told him what cops
have to do. He does not fit the "cop" mold. I also told him that detectives are usually paid by the county so max salaries are also pretty limited. I asked
him if he was interested in forensics? He said no. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results