shape
carat
color
clarity

If you participate in the MMD forum... (poll)

Should MMD be incorporated into RT and SMTB?

• Yes, mined and lab diamonds should be together

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • No, keep the MMD forum separate

Votes: 69 58.0%

• Total voters

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
Hi folks, MMDs are generally not allowed in Rockytalky. Please report threads if you see them and we will remove them. We do occasionally allow it if for example the question is about a ring setting, and the photo of the example happens to have a MMD in it. That is at our discretion.

For now, we have not been excluding them explicitly from SMTB as long as the focus is on the beautiful ring being showcased and not a discussion on MMD. If a thread turns into a discussion about MMDs, etc. it will be moved. This is also at our discretion.

I cannot promise that this is how things will stay in the future, but for now this is where we are.

Awesome, that’s great news! Thanks

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Hi folks, MMDs are generally not allowed in Rockytalky. Please report threads if you see them and we will remove them. We do occasionally allow it if for example the question is about a ring setting, and the photo of the example happens to have a MMD in it. That is at our discretion.

For now, we have not been excluding them explicitly from SMTB as long as the focus is on the beautiful ring being showcased and not a discussion on MMD. If a thread turns into a discussion about MMDs, etc. it will be moved. This is also at our discretion.

I cannot promise that this is how things will stay in the future, but for now this is where we are.

Good! That means beautiful rings of man made jemstones can be shown?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I disagree about merging the forums Yssie since it becomes confusing when people forget to mention which flavor they are asking about.
Graining and bluish are issues in LGD MMD. As are post treatments.

On a different take - the mixing up of LGD and natural diamonds by businesses that trade in both is one of my great fears.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garry I deleted my post since I don't really want to be given a timeout, but I'm going to email Ella and Andrey. I'm glad you saw it because I don't have an email contact for you.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I disagree about merging the forums Yssie since it becomes confusing when people forget to mention which flavor they are asking about.
Graining and bluish are issues in LGD MMD. As are post treatments.

On a different take - the mixing up of LGD and natural diamonds by businesses that trade in both is one of my great fears.

I feel less strongly about RT and MMD combining - I understand there are technical conversations can be LGD-specific. I don't agree that there isn't value to having these conversations in RT, where buyers of natural stones can see them and learn from them too... But I do feel very strongly that SMTB should be opened to both MMD and Pearls. These are gemstones that our community members choose with care, and mount with pride, and wear with love, and I see no virtue (but plenty of downside!) in continuing to disallow those people from sharing their happiness in SMTB.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re already in both Rocky Talky and Show Me The Bling. (At least, I have seen one that I know is a MMD in both).

I recently posted an MMD in SMTB, and was prompted to move it to the lab diamond section. I honestly didn't realize we weren't supposed to post there. I thought I saw other MMDs featured in SMTB as well.

Edited to add I just realized this is an older thread. I assume everything has been left separate?

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I feel less strongly about RT and MMD combining - I understand there are technical conversations can be LGD-specific. I don't agree that there isn't value to having these conversations in RT, where buyers of natural stones can see them and learn from them too... But I do feel very strongly that SMTB should be opened to both MMD and Pearls. These are gemstones that our community members choose with care, and mount with pride, and wear with love, and I see no virtue (but plenty of downside!) in continuing to disallow those people from sharing their happiness in SMTB.

OK, I just worked out what SMTB means (Do'H)
I don't have an opinion about what gets posted there - but my bet is the pearl people may still invade.
But definitely keep MMD and natural seperated please.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamond is diamond but there are some technical issues that apply to mmd that do not apply to mined so they may be better off at this point in a separate subforum.
There are some kicken prosumers very active there and pro technical help is a @ away.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I recently posted an MMD in SMTB, and was prompted to move it to the lab diamond section. I honestly didn't realize we weren't supposed to post there. I thought I saw other MMDs featured in SMTB as well.

Edited to add I just realized this is an older thread. I assume everything has been left separate?
It might depend on whether the SMTB thread is a thread dedicated entirely to your LGD piece versus part of an all-inclusive thread, like show me your latest purchases or something. I probably have posted a LGD in one of those smtb special interest threads and just noted it was LGD and posted a link to a thread that concentrated on the single piece in this forum.

‘’IMHO it would be awfully confusing to duplicate all those special interest threads like show me your size 9 or show me your yellow gold ring or show me your latest purchase. But this is not my website and it has multiple purposes so.

OK, I just worked out what SMTB means (Do'H)
I don't have an opinion about what gets posted there - but my bet is the pearl people may still invade.
But definitely keep MMD and natural seperated please.

Sounds like there is a backstory about pearl invaders. What was it they did that was so horrible? Clutch something?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
For all intents and purposes (and scientifically), EGDs and LGDs are identical, but there are some technical differences so I voted to keep them separate.

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate both mined and man made but to me they are separate items and deserve separate threads/forums.

For food, I eat both organic farm fresh corn and I also love Doritos. Do I want to know what is organic and what is GMO? Yep. They are both real corn but they aren’t the same. They should have their own places here.

I say enjoy both but don’t mix them. They are both diamonds but they are different.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I voted no, with caveats.

I think it would be easier if the two were merged in Rocky Talky and SMTB. People would get more replies, there’s more traffic.

I like the idea of tags. Or flair like used on Reddit.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I think that SMTB should be both. Because it’s about the eye candy and earth grown and lab grown look the same in a setting.
Plus the LG I’ve seen on here are being set into the same caliber settings as EG, and it would be great to get the feedback and advice from a more populated forum.
I don’t mind saying it’s lab grown so people know.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results