shape
carat
color
clarity

If you own a MMD, do you tell everyone it is an MMD?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would one openly proclaim one's breasts were man-made? :???: ;-) :lol:

I have a feeling that this is not dissimilar to the whole replica watches/bags discussion... i.e. if two items are made from the same materials and are identical to the naked eye, but one was expensive and came from one place and one was much cheaper and came from the other, there is the view that one is 'proper' and one is 'fake', and therefore one can judge a person to be 'fake' / pretending to be something they are not if they are sporting the latter.

I wonder if it is the case that those doing the viewing of such items feel 'cheated' if they assume the owner of the item in question is rich / successful / has the 'brand values' that the brands spend so much money on advertising to carefully nurture and implant in the public's psyche, but then find out that, in fact, the item was 'cheap'.

If that is the case, it boils down to the old adage that 'what my X says about me to you, says more about you than it does about me'. (IMHO!)

Ultimately (and again IMHO) we should not associate nebulous (and carefully manipulated) 'brand values' with any given item and then apply them to the wearer of the item - we should instead take people for the good (or bad...) person they are and not judge them in any material way :)

Which, of course, goes completely against human nature... (which is why advertising is so powerful) :lol: lol

For me... I would happily tell a person an awesome rock I was sporting was man-made - we should celebrate the incredible achievements of humanity! If people judge me negatively for that, that is probably a good sign that they are not good friend material ;-) :D

Are man made boobs exactly like natural breasts? Or do they have different characteristics? Not a good analogy.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
They are diamonds, but mined diamonds will always be more desirable than lab created diamonds - hence the price difference and the psychologial imperative to either disclose or hope the observer presumes "mined", depending on who you are ::)

More desirable to who? What makes something desirable? Pretty subjective. :lol-2: I own mined and an MMD and I definitely desired a diamond at the price point I spent for this ring, because why would I spend what a mid level car costs on a rock if I don’t have to? I can afford to, I just don’t want to. Sparkles like an ideal cut diamond because it is.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring is from Tiffany & Co. I’m pretty sure most people don’t assume my ring is from Tiffany’s and that doesn’t bother me. When someone compliments my ring, I say, “Thank you!” I don’t say, “IT’S FROM TIFFANY’S.” :wall:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m about to buy a pair of diamonds for earrings.

Budget is $20k.

For that price I could get 6ctw of my desired stats in MMD... or 3ctw of my desired stats in mined.

I’m interested only in mined. And sure, I could afford 6ctw in mined... but like you - I just don’t want to spend that much.

Why mined?
You can’t see the difference on casual observation.
You can’t even see the difference on deeper investigation.
But it’s important to me to know that my stones came out of the ground, not a lab.

I won’t be telling anyone unless they ask.
But I’m not at all convinced that growing diamonds en masse in a lab is better for global environment or global humanitarian efforts than digging them out of the ground... and these sorts of societal concerns are a priority for me these days.

Everyone has reasons for making the choices they do. Their reasons and their personal anecdotes don’t change industry trends, industry standards, industry-wide pricing... the fact that a diamond came out of the ground may not be important to you but it is to many, many people. So many people that market pricing is driven by that fact.

Maybe that will change, but I wouldn’t advise holding your breath ::)

If I saw your ring IRL I would - without any additional information - just assume that it’s an authentic beauty from Tiffany ::)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't own any MMDs but if I did, and someone complimented me on my "diamond" ring I think I would tell them it was MM. Mainly because I think most people associate a diamond as coming out of the ground and if the one I was wearing didn't, I think I'd feel like I was being deceptive if I didn't say something. If the ring I'm wearing is mined, then I don't think a statement to that is necessary as that is the usual assumption. Mined and MM may be chemically identical but again, I think, like myself, most folks think of a diamond as coming out of the earth and I wouldn't feel right not identifying that what I was wearing did not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is from Tiffany & Co. I’m pretty sure most people don’t assume my ring is from Tiffany’s and that doesn’t bother me. When someone compliments my ring, I say, “Thank you!” I don’t say, “IT’S FROM TIFFANY’S.” :wall:

If you are given a requirement to buy a diamond... and you’re presented with two identical stones - only one is mined and the other is synthetic. There is a price difference, but in this hypothetical scenario the cost differential is zero for you. Which do you choose?

The vast majority of people will choose the mined stone, because it’s more rare - the circumstances that yielded that particular specimen won’t ever be reproduced. It’s one of a kind. Psychology, history, tradition... borne in part of decades of successful marketing, absolutely... is not a trio that an infantile upstart market with no stability and unsteady projection is going to topple anytime soon.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think Bindi Irwin will be the start of a new trend of celebrities sporting lab crown diamonds kinda like electric cars
i have beyound zero desire to own an electrical car but im open to a lab crown diamond - i have a lovelly sapphire braclete with lab grown stones
they aren't paste, they arn't fake, they are grown in a lab with a little help from man
i remember the first test tube babies...when was the last time anyone heard that phrase for IVF ?

2-cent-coin-new-zealand-obverse-1.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO that would be a strange thing to say to the average Joe, pointing out that a diamond is lab vs mined. Most people don't care what you are sporting, they are just admiring an object for it's beauty.

I don't own any MMD's but if I did I wouldn't specify that fact just like I don't make a point of saying I have a "natural mined from the earth diamond".

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
i think Bindi Irwin will be the start of a new trend of celebrities sporting lab crown diamonds kinda like electric cars
i have beyound zero desire to own an electrical car but im open to a lab crown diamond - i have a lovelly sapphire braclete with lab grown stones
they aren't paste, they arn't fake, they are grown in a lab with a little help from man
i remember the first test tube babies...when was the last time anyone heard that phrase for IVF ?

Is that a REAL child?! :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that a REAL child?! :lol:

you made me laugh
first time today (thank you)

but at the time there were certainly people around (my mother may or may not have been one of them) at that time who thought that somehow they wouldn't be the same as naturally conceived babies

mind you an ivf baby presently still has to grow inside a human mommy for 9 months where as the lab grown diamond grows a darn sight quicker than her earth sourced sisters
both the ivf baby and the lab crown diamond are a miricle of modern science IMHO

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent comparisons to IVF and electric cars.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are man made boobs exactly like natural breasts? Or do they have different characteristics? Not a good analogy.

If they are done well and look and feel the same, and to ask a direct question about whether they are 'real' would be a personal question that has a hidden subtext / implication, then I would say it's a good analogy ;-) :razz: lol

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are done well and look and feel the same, and to ask a direct question about whether they are 'real' would be a personal question that has a hidden subtext / implication, then I would say it's a good analogy ;-) :razz: lol

No. Man made may have maintenance issues. Not the same.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you made me laugh
first time today (thank you)

but at the time there were certainly people around (my mother may or may not have been one of them) at that time who thought that somehow they wouldn't be the same as naturally conceived babies

mind you an ivf baby presently still has to grow inside a human mommy for 9 months where as the lab grown diamond grows a darn sight quicker than her earth sourced sisters
both the ivf baby and the lab crown diamond are a miricle of modern science IMHO

I actually thought about this analogy but thought it would be offensive. The ivf. I have three close friends who underwent ivf and they are still sensitive about disclosing this info. I’m glad you are comfy discussing this.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I live in LA and work in IVF. I have people attack me for making inorganic children etc. I think it is all where you live. (Dont worry these kids are still carbon based and I am well aware that those folks are nutter butters.) To be frank I think your comparison of IVF to MMD was silly, it might not have been meant that way but I have seen what these couples struggle with and believe me they would all rather be doing this at home without a team of MDs. And yes some wankers do ask pts if the kids are the same just as healthy etc.

I do own a lab grown blue MMD, it is set. Whenever I get a comment or compliment on it I launch into full babble mode about how they are grown and all the science that goes into them. (Lab geeks can be quite excitable.) Most people just laugh and say it is pretty, I did have one jeweler insist on testing it...odd duck. I feel like not disclosing it would fill like putting on airs.

Bluery

Rough_Rock
If someone specifically asked me I would tell them about it, but people IRL don’t really care that much— they just say it’s pretty and I say thanks. It’s kind of like my hair, people compliment it and I don’t say, “thanks, it’s color-treated!” I just say thanks.

This whole attitude that MMDs are some sort of “fake” and it should be disclosed is silly. They’re diamonds, they’re still expensive, just a little bit less so. My 2.52ct custom cut D VVS1 lab diamond wasn’t cheap, and people can predict whatever they want about future values, but I don’t care— I didn’t buy it to sell it, I enjoy the hell out of it now, and I’ll happily talk about it if asked.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in LA and work in IVF. I have people attack me for making inorganic children etc. I think it is all where you live. (Dont worry these kids are still carbon based and I am well aware that those folks are nutter butters.) To be frank I think your comparison of IVF to MMD was silly, it might not have been meant that way but I have seen what these couples struggle with and believe me they would all rather be doing this at home without a team of MDs. And yes some wankers do ask pts if the kids are the same just as healthy etc.

I do own a lab grown blue MMD, it is set. Whenever I get a comment or compliment on it I launch into full babble mode about how they are grown and all the science that goes into them. (Lab geeks can be quite excitable.) Most people just laugh and say it is pretty, I did have one jeweler insist on testing it...odd duck. I feel like not disclosing it would fill like putting on airs.

in my defence i write that post before coffee ! so no offence intended

that's good work you do helping people make families
i know it can be a long heartbreaking road for some

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually thought about this analogy but thought it would be offensive. The ivf. I have three close friends who underwent ivf and they are still sensitive about disclosing this info. I’m glad you are comfy discussing this.

i am really sorry if i offended anyone
i was just thinking about how fsr science has come in my generation
and im sure if my mother was alive now she would not think what she thought back them

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix real with synthetics when it comes to jewellery.
It won't be the first line or topic of any conversation.
However, If asked "Is it real?", I would normally respond in the line of "Don't be silly - I would not be working full time if I could afford the real thing!"

DK :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's nobody's business what my diamond is or is not. It's nobody's business how I choose to live my life and how I choose to spend my money. It's nobody's business if I choose to have children and why or why not and how I choose to have those children.

If I choose to share my personal business that is up to me completely. Not because I feel I have to or have an obligation to share and divulge.

myob.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m about to buy a pair of diamonds for earrings.

Budget is $20k.

For that price I could get 6ctw of my desired stats in MMD... or 3ctw of my desired stats in mined.

I’m interested only in mined. And sure, I could afford 6ctw in mined... but like you - I just don’t want to spend that much.

Why mined?
You can’t see the difference on casual observation.
You can’t even see the difference on deeper investigation.
But it’s important to me to know that my stones came out of the ground, not a lab.

I won’t be telling anyone unless they ask.
But I’m not at all convinced that growing diamonds en masse in a lab is better for global environment or global humanitarian efforts than digging them out of the ground... and these sorts of societal concerns are a priority for me these days.

Everyone has reasons for making the choices they do. Their reasons and their personal anecdotes don’t change industry trends, industry standards, industry-wide pricing... the fact that a diamond came out of the ground may not be important to you but it is to many, many people. So many people that market pricing is driven by that fact.

Maybe that will change, but I wouldn’t advise holding your breath ::)

If I saw your ring IRL I would - without any additional information - just assume that it’s an authentic beauty from Tiffany ::)

Is it bad all I can see is you are getting new earrings? I cannot wait @yssie and I know anything you choose will be out of this world gorgeous. :love:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is totally ridiculous. What is the standard of education in Biology in the USA if people think IVF-conceived children are somehow different to any other children?!

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
They do. They also range in color. They are not perfect examples of the material like say a lab sapphire or emerald

Actually, Jeff White has lab-grown emeralds and sapphires WITH inclusions right now that he can cut for anyone who is interested :)

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Stag and Finch has lab emeralds with inclusions, and so does geolite.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking that I had way more people ask if my children were natural. Usually phrased as “do twins run in your family.” I never once had anyone ask if my diamonds were natural. I don’t have any MMDs at the moment. But hey, if I’m okay with my lab created kids, I’d be totally fine with lab created diamonds. And if asked, the answer would really depend on the context, just like with my kids.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are given a requirement to buy a diamond... and you’re presented with two identical stones - only one is mined and the other is synthetic. There is a price difference, but in this hypothetical scenario the cost differential is zero for you. Which do you choose?
my momma didn't raise no fool ..:tongue:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
So it would read as a diamond, it IS a diamond. I was just responding to your post that the newer testers can tell them apart - that's something that moissanite owners say, as moissy reads as diamond on some of the older testers.

I don't think your point is that people should say lab/MMD because theyre proud of it, you want people to point it out so they don't mistake your fancy mined diamond with their cheapo lab one.

What I think @cflutist means is the tester that tells apart type I and II diamonds.

And woahhhh weird tangent on IVF.

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
my momma didn't raise no fool ..:tongue:

Call me a fool. I insisted on a lab engagement ring at a time they were somewhat more expensive than a mined diamond of equivalent size and clarity. Since it was well before the science evolved to be able to produce white rocks, the ice blue hue was a dead give away it was not mined.

Back to the OP question I was ecstatic to tell everyone it was a lab grown diamond and some girlfriends looked at me like I had two heads. My then fiancé and I had met in a well known organization in an office that sought to take guns out of the stockpiles of African warlords, and the nascent Kimberly process didn’t provide any assurance to me that a newly mined diamond wouldn’t tangentially undermine our efforts. Of course that was an ER so people are always intrigued by those things on young women. They would politely listen while I got on my soapbox.

Now that I’m a mom with more lines on my face, hardly anyone says anything more about my jewelry than, “that’s pretty,” and I don’t respond with anything other than “thanks.” Similarly to another poster, I also don’t point out not of my jewelry is from Tiffany.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results