shape
carat
color
clarity

If you own a MMD, do you tell everyone it is an MMD?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thread got me thinking because people are pointing out there is no difference between mined or man made, etc. For those of you who own man made diamonds, do you clarify to people that it is man made? Do you pass it off as natural? I’m sure that many will say it’s no one’s business, for example you don’t have to give specs to people about your diamond but... do you share the wonderful news with people that you saved money and are sporting a perfect diamond? I’m just curious bc I get a lot of compliments on my ring. Tbh, I’m glad my stone has inclusions, lol. Now it can’t be mistaken for a MMD. Would love to hear your thoughts.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have man made diamonds but I do have man made spinel and I do tell people what they are when it's not weird to do so.

For instance if someone wants to know what the stone is. I say exactly what it is. Or if I'm replying to a nonspecific thread on other forums I identify it as man made. But if someone just says pretty ring. I just say thank you and move on unless they ask more about it. Most people don't really care enough to ask questions like that though who aren't jewellery enthusiasts. I just prefer to be honest about the stone's origins as much as I can without being weird. I feel like I would be lying otherwise. Hopefully that answers your question even though it's not strictly diamonds :)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do people specify they have a "mined diamond" when talking about their ring? Ive certainly never heard that. I don't think calling it a "diamond" is trying to pass it off as a "mined diamond". Its not a simulant, its still an actual diamond.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I would. I don't have one, but I have considered some blue mmd melee to put alongside my green-yellow, since the price of natural would be really high, I think. And I'm sure I would always say they were mmd's. But then I also mention the feather in my w-x diamond...the inclusion in my J diamond...

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P2195706.JPG

I have a Chatham HPHT synthetic blue diamond .55 SI1 since 2006. I tell everyone that it was grown in a lab. Early on, it tested positive as a diamond at a jewelry store. I assume that it is no longer the case since diamond testers have evolved since 2006.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Do people specify they have a "mined diamond" when talking about their ring? Ive certainly never heard that. I don't think calling it a "diamond" is trying to pass it off as a "mined diamond". Its not a simulant, its still an actual diamond.

I've never heard someone say mined diamond/gem outside of discussions like these. I think mined tends to be the default assumption. I just personally feel more comfortable telling people my stuff is man made so I don't feel like I'm lying. You're right that its chemically the same but it just feels wrong not saying lab created/man made when talking about my own things. I realise this reply wasn't directed at me. Hopefully you will forgive me for hijacking it. I just felt I could answer since I do own lab created stones.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I have a lab sapphire and I don’t tell anybody. I let jewelers try to guess. Only one salesperson guessed correctly so far.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
P2195706.JPG

I have a Chatham HPHT synthetic blue diamond .55 SI1 since 2006. I tell everyone that it was grown in a lab. Early on, it tested positive as a diamond at a jewelry store. I assume that it is no longer the case since diamond testers have evolved since 2006.

The blue color is GORGEOUS! :kiss2:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
P2195706.JPG

I highly doubt most jewelry stores have the capital to buy those testers. The machine to distinguish types of diamonds is reaaaallllyyy expensive.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard someone say mined diamond/gem outside of discussions like these. I think mined tends to be the default assumption. I just personally feel more comfortable telling people my stuff is man made so I don't feel like I'm lying. You're right that its chemically the same but it just feels wrong not saying lab created/man made when talking about my own things. I realise this reply wasn't directed at me. Hopefully you will forgive me for hijacking it. I just felt I could answer since I do own lab created stones.

That makes sense. I personally don't have any, but I don't see an issue with just calling it a "diamond" or a "spinel", but if it makes one more comfortable to specify man made that's fine.

I think there is still a lot of confusion over MMD and simulants. I'm not sure what @cflutist 's stone actually is, but a MMD will always read as a diamond. You cannot tell them apart, even with a loupe (unless of course it's branded or inscribed). You'd need a very powerful microscope to tell them apart. This of course is not the case with CZ/Moissy/etc which are man made simulants.

I actually know people who do proudly say man made or lab diamond because they hate the association with the mining/blood diamond industry, but I don't think that's what this topic is about lol.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
If it is not a real diamond in that is it really CZ or moissanite then I wouldn’t go around saying it’s a diamond but I also wouldn’t volunteer any info unless asked. If it is a true lab grown diamond then a diamond is a diamond and unless asked about it being mined or lab, I wouldn’t talk about it regardless

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Passing off as natural? That assumes that people are ashamed of having a lab created diamond. If someone asks if it’s a diamond, I’ll say, “Yep.” Lab created diamonds have inclusions just like mined diamonds, some are flawless or internally flawless like some mined diamonds. Because they ARE diamonds. I’m not sure why you care if someone with an MMD tells anyone it’s an MMD or why you’re worried someone will mistake your mined stone for an MMD??

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Passing off as natural? That assumes that people are ashamed of having a lab created diamond. If someone asks if it’s a diamond, I’ll say, “Yep.” Lab created diamonds have inclusions just like mined diamonds, some are flawless or internally flawless like some mined diamonds. Because they ARE diamonds. I’m not sure why you care if someone with an MMD tells anyone it’s an MMD or why you’re worried someone will mistake your mined stone for an MMD??
So if there is no shame, then why not tell people it’s lab created? You insist that you have the same product, but the distinguishing characteristic is the natural vs lab hence the question.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That makes sense. I personally don't have any, but I don't see an issue with just calling it a "diamond" or a "spinel", but if it makes one more comfortable to specify man made that's fine.

I think there is still a lot of confusion over MMD and simulants. I'm not sure what @cflutist 's stone actually is, but a MMD will always read as a diamond. You cannot tell them apart, even with a loupe (unless of course it's branded or inscribed). You'd need a very powerful microscope to tell them apart. This of course is not the case with CZ/Moissy/etc which are man made simulants.

I actually know people who do proudly say man made or lab diamond because they hate the association with the mining/blood diamond industry, but I don't think that's what this topic is about lol.

You don’t think this topic is about that? What do you suspect? I asked a simple question.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are diamonds, but mined diamonds will always be more desirable than lab created diamonds - hence the price difference and the psychologial imperative to either disclose or hope the observer presumes "mined", depending on who you are ::)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thread got me thinking because people are pointing out there is no difference between mined or man made, etc. For those of you who own man made diamonds, do you clarify to people that it is man made? Do you pass it off as natural? I’m sure that many will say it’s no one’s business, for example you don’t have to give specs to people about your diamond but... do you share the wonderful news with people that you saved money and are sporting a perfect diamond? I’m just curious bc I get a lot of compliments on my ring. Tbh, I’m glad my stone has inclusions, lol. Now it can’t be mistaken for a MMD. Would love to hear your thoughts.

My thoughts are that you come of high and mighty in this question as you know full well you aren’t going up to strangers and saying “this ring on my hand is a mined diamond!” Or telling your coworkers of they compliment your ring that you “saved money by buying a low color/ clarity diamond!”

this thread comes off as sour grapes honestly.
And no I don’t own a mmd.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts are that you come of high and mighty in this question as you know full well you aren’t going up to strangers and saying “this ring on my hand is a mined diamond!” Or telling your coworkers of they compliment your ring that you “saved money by buying a low color/ clarity diamond!”

this thread comes off as sour grapes honestly.
And no I don’t own a mmd.
Wow. Lots of assumptions on your part. And from now on, I will Proudly say that my diamond is natural, not mined. And i have no problem sharing stats—so you are wrong again. Times are changing.

Last edited:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is a synthetic blue diamond made by the Chatham company (they also make synthetic corundum, alexandrite, and emeralds too). It has the same chemical, optical, and physical properties as a natural diamond, but just grown in a lab. It also has boron impurities to impart its blue color. FYI I earned my Gemologist Diploma from the GIA in 1989.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
It is a synthetic blue diamond made by the Chatham company (they also make synthetic corundum, alexandrite, and emeralds too). It has the same chemical, optical, and physical properties as a natural diamond, but just grown in a lab. It also has boron impurities to impart its blue color. FYI I earned my Gemologist Diploma from the GIA in 1989.

It really is a beautiful color. I have to ask, since they add boron....does it fluoresce?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have moissanites that I wear and I do share what they are.

I think mined is implied. If I had a MMD I would specify that it is a synthetic, just like I specify with my synthetic sapphires.

I think it's always great to let people know they can have "the look" with something chemically the same for less money. To me it is another interesting aspect of jewelry to share if someone asks about what I'm wearing.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So it would read as a diamond, it IS a diamond. I was just responding to your post that the newer testers can tell them apart - that's something that moissanite owners say, as moissy reads as diamond on some of the older testers.

You don’t think this topic is about that? What do you suspect? I asked a simple question.

I don't think your point is that people should say lab/MMD because theyre proud of it, you want people to point it out so they don't mistake your fancy mined diamond with their cheapo lab one.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it would read as a diamond, it IS a diamond. I was just responding to your post that the newer testers can tell them apart - that's something that moissanite owners say, as moissy reads as diamond on some of the older testers.

I don't think your point is that people should say lab/MMD because theyre proud of it, you want people to point it out so they don't mistake your fancy mined diamond with their cheapo lab one.
Tbh. I posted this thread bc the mmd world is new for me and I am curious. Times are changing—at least for me. So sad that you are making assumptions about my intention. I have no idea how much mmd diamonds cost so I wouldn’t call them cheapo, but i know they cost less. I have repeatedly stated that the only distinguishing characteristic seems to be the source of origin. So that being said, do people point it out? And I do mean proudly. Bc the source of origin seems to be also a source of pride. If i wanted to be sarcastic I would be. But i am honestly intrigued. It’s too bad some people are too defensive and make assumptions.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would one openly proclaim one's breasts were man-made? :???: ;-) :lol:

I have a feeling that this is not dissimilar to the whole replica watches/bags discussion... i.e. if two items are made from the same materials and are identical to the naked eye, but one was expensive and came from one place and one was much cheaper and came from the other, there is the view that one is 'proper' and one is 'fake', and therefore one can judge a person to be 'fake' / pretending to be something they are not if they are sporting the latter.

I wonder if it is the case that those doing the viewing of such items feel 'cheated' if they assume the owner of the item in question is rich / successful / has the 'brand values' that the brands spend so much money on advertising to carefully nurture and implant in the public's psyche, but then find out that, in fact, the item was 'cheap'.

If that is the case, it boils down to the old adage that 'what my X says about me to you, says more about you than it does about me'. (IMHO!)

Ultimately (and again IMHO) we should not associate nebulous (and carefully manipulated) 'brand values' with any given item and then apply them to the wearer of the item - we should instead take people for the good (or bad...) person they are and not judge them in any material way :)

Which, of course, goes completely against human nature... (which is why advertising is so powerful) :lol: lol

For me... I would happily tell a person an awesome rock I was sporting was man-made - we should celebrate the incredible achievements of humanity! If people judge me negatively for that, that is probably a good sign that they are not good friend material ;-) :D

Last edited:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Lots of assumptions on your part. And from now on, I will Proudly say that my diamond is natural, not mined. And i have no problem sharing stats—so you are wrong again. Times are changing.

I never said you don’t proudly do anything. I’m sure you do. But I’m working on the assumption you’re a polite adult who doesn’t bring up her diamond unprovoked to strangers.
but I’ve been wrong before.
And I’m sure you mean natural *mined*

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Would one openly proclaim one's breasts were man-made? :???: ;-) :lol:

I have a feeling that this is not dissimilar to the whole replica watches/bags discussion... i.e. if two items are made from the same materials and are identical to the naked eye, but one was expensive and came from one place and one was much cheaper and came from the other, there is the view that one is 'proper' and one is 'fake', and therefore one can judge a person to be 'fake' / pretending to be something they are not if they are sporting the latter.

I wonder if it is the case that those doing the viewing of such items feel 'cheated' if they assume the owner of the item in question is rich / successful / has the 'brand values' that the brands spend so much money on advertising to carefully nurture and implant in the public's psyche, but then find out that, in fact, the item was 'cheap'.

If that is the case, it boils down to the old adage that 'what my X says about me to you, says more about you than it does about me', IMVHO.

Ultimately (and again IMHO) we should not associate nebulous (and carefully manipulated) 'brand values' with any given item and then apply them to the wearer of the item - we should instead take people for the good (or bad...) person they are and not judge them either way :)

Which, of course, goes completely against human nature... (which is why advertising is so powerful) :lol: lol

Lol, I wouldn't proclaim man made breasts but if someone mentioned them, yes I would say if there were implants. :oops: (I can't speak to designer purses). For me, it's just accuracy/full disclosure.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh. I posted this thread bc the mmd world is new for me and I am curious. Times are changing—at least for me. So sad that you are making assumptions about my intention. I have no idea how much mmd diamonds cost so I wouldn’t call them cheapo, but i know they cost less. I have repeatedly stated that the only distinguishing characteristic seems to be the source of origin. So that being said, do people point it out? And I do mean proudly. Bc the source of origin seems to be also a source of pride. If i wanted to be sarcastic I would be. But i am honestly intrigued. It’s too bad some people are too defensive and make assumptions.

Apologies if I misunderstood then. Anyways, as I said, I do know people who proudly talk about their lab stone. They are very happy their jewellery didn't contribute to environmental or human rights issues. I think if you make the choice because of a positive reason (ie eco-friendly) you're more likely to share vs if you make the choice for a negative reason (can't afford the size/specs/etc you want). That's just personal speculation though. I don't think saving money should ever be viewed negatively though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results