shape
carat
color
clarity

If you only have $2500 for an E-ring...

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by DiamondFlame, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. DiamondFlame
    Brilliant_Rock

by DiamondFlame » Feb 10, 2009
    ...what will give you the best bang for the buck? What would you go for in terms of cuts & ring setting?

Assume no RBs...cuz imho they''re way too popular. [​IMG] Your opinions are much appreciated.

2. Lorelei
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Lorelei » Feb 10, 2009
    I would look for the best cut oval or pear I could find, I or J colour and SI clarity ( GIA graded) and verified eyeclean by the vendor. I would go for a simple solitaire setting in gold with a 2mm band to make the diamond pop!

Thats what I would choose anyway!

3. Deelight
    Ideal_Rock

by Deelight » Feb 10, 2009
    ditto I would even possibly look for a K colour as well.

4. glitterata
    Ideal_Rock

by glitterata » Feb 10, 2009
    Lower colors look yellower in fancy (non-round) cuts. If you want a white diamond, you can go lower in color, and hence cheaper, with rounds.

5. tyty333
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by tyty333 » Feb 10, 2009
    I have a pear...that being said...rounds are popular for a reason. A good cut one will sparkle like crazy!

6. DiamondFlame
    Brilliant_Rock

I''m considering cushion cuts. Will J or K look too yellow in them?
    And my GF loves vintage styles so plain gold bands are out.. [​IMG]

7. DiamondsDiamonds
    Shiny_Rock

by DiamondsDiamonds » Feb 10, 2009
    Get the best cut you can with a color grade of J or better and clarity grade of SI2 (eyeclean) or better.

The shape is your choice.

8. Circe
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Circe » Feb 10, 2009
    Well, if your GF loves vintage styles ... go vintage! You''ll find numerous beautiful antique rings out there if you search: the bulk of them in your price range will probably be rounds, but there are some great vintage styles out there that play with the shape (fishtail prongs, octagonal settings, etc.) that you might want to consider. Off to work now, but will post some links later, if the rest of the board doesn''t beat me to it!

9. DiamanteBlu
    Ideal_Rock

by DiamanteBlu » Feb 10, 2009
    Is it your intention to get a diamond solitaire or are you open to multi-stone rings or other gem stone [like sapphire] rings?

10. coatimundi_org
    Ideal_Rock

by coatimundi_org » Feb 10, 2009
    Cushions face up smaller than rounds, ovals, or pears of similar carat weight.

I like Lorelei's suggestion of an oval or pear for size, but warmth can be an issue with those cuts in lower colors.

Cushions in larger sizes can show color in the J-K range, but may not as much in the size you'd be looking at. A cushion on a nice engraved band may give the vintage feel she likes within your budget.

ETA: If she likes vintage, would you consider an old cut like an old european cut, transitional, or old mine cut?

11. coatimundi_org
    Ideal_Rock

Here are some examples--near you budget--of old cuts in vintage rings. The stones are round in basic shape, but the facet pattern of old euros and transitionals is very unique.

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2052/

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2362/

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2204/

http://www.langantiques.com/category/10/5/item/10-1-2303/

eta: also, if you think you might want to upgrade in the future (as many of us have done) it's best to choose a well cut stone from a vendor with a 100% upgrade policy. Not everyone is keen on upgrading, and in that case, an actual antique/vintage ring might be right up your alley.

12. motownmama
    Ideal_Rock

by motownmama » Feb 10, 2009
    antique is a great way to go - newyorkestatejewelry.com also has some.
    If you think you might want to upgrade - then perhaps go with Whiteflash and follow the above advise on color/clarity.

13. nsaids_nurse420
    Shiny_Rock

14. DiamondFlame
    Brilliant_Rock

yeah I figured RBs will face up larger than cushions but she finds the cut too common among her peers; where we're from, everyone seems to sport H&As... [​IMG]

Thanks for the links, Coati. Interesting range indeed..!

While I am a fan of colored gems/diamonds, she prefers a white diamond for E-ring so here I am.. another 'lost' newbie. Heh.

15. coatimundi_org
    Ideal_Rock

You're very welcome.

Dover Jewelry also has a few rings in your range.

Do you think she is more interested in a modern cushion in a vintage style setting?

16. musey
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by musey » Feb 10, 2009
    I would poke around looking for antique rings, for sure.

17. DiamondFlame
    Brilliant_Rock

Yeah, she likes micropave, milgrains, sidestones, etc... so more like vintage-style, I guess. No so much into plain solitaires.. [​IMG]

I like the antique looks of http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/engagement_rings_under_5k/vintage_diamond_engagement_platinum_ring.html

but has concerns over the quality of the cut...and that it's another RB.

Motownmama, newyorkestatejewelry has some really nice collections. I am tempted. But aren't estate jewelry 2nd hand items? I wonder how a woman might feel about getting 'someone else's old ring'? Think m getting a headache juz looking at the options.. [​IMG]

18. E B
    Ideal_Rock

by E B » Feb 10, 2009
    James Allen has some nice looking cushions (though, I'm not an expert- you'd have to ask JA about the performance of these stones) and a few antique-looking settings you might consider.

For example, this stone may be nice:

.60 ct G, SI1 Cushion $1240 ($1130 with PS discount)

Hopefully others who know more about cushions can chime in with suggestions.

Settings:

Common Prong Setting $600

Antique-style Bezel Pave Setting $675

Pave-Set Engagement Ring $1040

Three-Sided Pave Engagement Ring $1275

19. E B
    Ideal_Rock

20. geoffreysnow
    Shiny_Rock

by geoffreysnow » Feb 10, 2009
    http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_and_reproduction_rings

there''s a .65ct transitional cut for half your budget...

or you can email them and they can find exactly what you''re looking for. both erica and grace are extremely nice and helpful

21. coatimundi_org
    Ideal_Rock

Yah, I''m not keen on that one either. If I was going vintage, I''d get an oec, tran, or omc. That rb looks poorly cut.

22. coatimundi_org
    Ideal_Rock

23. Rockdiamond
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Rockdiamond » Feb 10, 2009
    HI Everyone!

My experience is that many cushions in the lower depth ranges have a larger appearance than round diamonds of the same weight.

24. DiamondFlame
    Brilliant_Rock

EBree, i have considered that particular combo from JA. It is definitely nice but a little over the budget if I choose the preferred pave setting. And I have a problem judging a ring based on stylised animations.

David, yes I hv seen cushions with face up sizes comparable to that of RBs.

Let me see if I can put together her preferences based on my 'undercover work':

'white', clear center diamond
    non-round center but not Princess cut
    good sparkle
    not a plain band but preferably pave set or sidestones
    design quality: elegant, vintage, timeless

...and she specifically asked me not to spend too much on it.. lolz.

My preferences:
    large-looking, but well cut & eye clean center
    pave bands or sidestones in platinum
    Halo style esp one that leaves a little airstrip btw centerstone and halo
    Within budget.

Thank you so much to everyone who has been so helpful. I will be looking at the various options..

25. E B
    Ideal_Rock

by E B » Feb 10, 2009
    Here's a Beverly K Cushion Halo for $1150 in WG (a halo in platinum is going to be almost impossible to find within budget with anything left for a diamond):

Beverly K Halo, Cushion

26. swingirl
    Ideal_Rock

by swingirl » Feb 10, 2009
    You've gotten many suggestions. Here's another. Why not spend $2K on an nice stone and simple setting and plan on upgrading the setting in a year or so. If your gf likes a fancy setting with side stones/pave/halo you'll be spending most of your budget on the setting which probably won't be usable if you ever get a larger center stone.

You can save up for a fancy setting for a special anniversary.

I like this one too. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=342

It's a decent size, beautiful cut, PS discount, upgradeable. Sent off to WF for a simple setting---and you are at budget!

And do understand that a well cut J can look pretty white to most people. Of course compared side by side with an F it will show warmth. But once set most of the well-cut warmer colors look very good and are perfect when budgets are tight.

27. suchende
    Brilliant_Rock

by suchende » Feb 10, 2009
    http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/halo-diamond-ring-50ct-cushion-in-split-shank-halo-ring-18kt-white-gold

Blingy, under budget, not the most vintage-y but sort of has that "feel" anyway.

28. Tuckins1
    Ideal_Rock

by Tuckins1 » Feb 10, 2009
    Ditto Lorelei!! My first thought was a nice chunky facet oval!![​IMG]

29. jstarfireb
    Ideal_Rock

by jstarfireb » Feb 10, 2009
    I like some of the designs on antiqueengagementrings.com (no experience with the vendor though):

Not a halo, but non-round stone and just over budget

Halo-ish, close to budget, round stone but an OEC rather than modern RB

Another pretty Asscher, similar to the first

Round diamond (looks nicely cut from first pic) but really cool halo-ish setting

(Note that the Asschers here aren't the best cut quality; their tables are larger than what our resident Asscher expert would call "kicken.")

Good luck! I also really like the Erica Grace ring someone pointed out...so much that I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

30. makemepretty
    Brilliant_Rock

by makemepretty » Feb 10, 2009
    Those rings on antiqueengagementrings.com are so lovely. Nice picks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.