shape
carat
color
clarity

If you lost all your jewelry and were given the money instead to do what you liked....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would spend all the money on two CBIs and two watches. One ring and watch for my wife and one ring and watch for myself.

Ooops I forgot. Our jewelry are uninsured... :silenced:

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting you should ask this. I just sold a few pieces and am about to sell one more. I did it because I really wanted a larger diamond solitaire. And here it is - sorry for the photo overload lol.

20200704_184151.jpg 20200704_144009.jpg 20200704_141655.jpg

Ummmmm. Wow. Did i Miss this thread!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely buy another 1.5 ct G VS2 Octavia and set it in the same Cobalt Chrome tension setting at Boonerings.com
For me, in every respect, it's the perfect diamond in the perfect setting.

Karl K is a genius!
:think: If Yoram can cut me a 3.5ct Octavia. Kenny, I'm very greedy..:silenced:

Missie1

Brilliant_Rock
I’m definitely replacing my large studs and I would upgrade ring to 4 carat solitaire. I would replace my 2 watches and my love bracelets. Everything else I can live without.

Oh I would be absolutely heartbroken if I lost it all, even if I did get a cheque that would cover its value! I think of jewelry as a very sentimental thing. I think I would mostly replace every single piece because they all hold such importance in my life (though I think I would struggle with a couple of the heirlooms). If I was given the opportunity to buy my exact same pieces, without a doubt I would do exactly that, except maybe a few pairs of earrings, which I would liquidate and chuck that cash towards my bag fund.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I like and wear everything I have because I don’t see the point otherwise. It is not a huge collection though. Two pieces are particularly sentimental...my ER pendant and the ring with my MIL’s diamond. I could replace them but it wouldn’t be the same. Everything else, including my current wedding ring could be replaced/remade and I likely would do that. I’m not sure what I would do about the two sentimental pieces....if I were to make replicas it might actually be a sad reminder of what was lost to have replicas. I might rather have different remembrance pieces to replace those.
I have a third piece in the making right now that may end up in that category as well. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I hope you find your missing jewelry!!!

Thank you
im ever hopeful as it includes a ring i
Brought in rememberence of my dear cat soul mate Tinky
It was while we were unpacking and were taking lots of packing to the tip
I had the jewlery in bubble wrap inside a bubble wrap plastic bag
Im trying to be positive and it will turn up ......

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all my antique pieces and would like to replace those if possible. My OEC ER and all my old cut dangle earrings.
I wouldn't replace any of my many necklaces, watches or bracelets and would take that money and divide it among 3 of my favorite animal charities. I don't think I could replace my Cartier Black Opal and that would be a sizable sum if I got what it was worth and would donate that to my favorite animal charities as well. So a good compromise of enjoying bling and helping furbabies in need.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you
im ever hopeful as it includes a ring i
Brought in rememberence of my dear cat soul mate Tinky
It was while we were unpacking and were taking lots of packing to the tip
I had the jewlery in bubble wrap inside a bubble wrap plastic bag
Im trying to be positive and it will turn up ......

I hope you find your lost valuables @Daisys and Diamonds. My strong feeling is that you will. Fingers crossed.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some fascinating answers here & it's a really good question. I've had to put a lot of thought into it because as you know, I am super sentimental about most of my jewellery, so I would be devastated if it all got stolen in one swoop.

However, I have decided I would use the payout to buy:

Diamond studs & pendant set, probably on the larger side like my 40th set I have struggled to wear (1ctw studs & .75 pendant in platinum). If the smaller more precious ones are gone, then there's no reason not to rock the bigger ones with glee.

A classic Tiffany solitaire engagement ring. It's my dream ring & just does it for me. Around a minimum of 1.5ct to 1.75ct 3x in platinum, best colour, clarity & cut.

Plain matching Tiffany knife edge wedding band in platinum.

Rolex watch. Plain stainless steel, midsize, no diamonds. My watch is worn from dawn to dusk daily, so it needs to be durable & versatile.

Everything else, whilst I would be devastated to lose, I wouldn't try to replicate. My inherited pieces are too special & replacements would never be ther same.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would replace Bella, get some OEC studs and pendant to match and have a bangle made with an OEC.

I have no sentimental attachment to anything, so if it all went, c’est la vie. We don’t need the money for anything else, so no point in just saving it, I’d wear all the new pieces and enjoy them, then leave them to my future DIL.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting you should ask this. I just sold a few pieces and am about to sell one more. I did it because I really wanted a larger diamond solitaire. And here it is - sorry for the photo overload lol.

20200704_184151.jpg 20200704_144009.jpg 20200704_141655.jpg

Hi @doberman!

Your new ring is gorgeous! Can you share its stats pls? And - out of curiosity - what did you happily sell? Your pieces are gorgeous, and I can't imagine giving up any of them without a pang.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think I'd want to re-buy every single thing I've got now.
I don't really measure wear (or cost per wear) into my value proposition, though. Some of my most beloved pieces are also my least-used.
I'd know to choose exactly what I've ended up with, though, and avoid expensive "learning" mistakes.

@yssie -

Is there any chance I could talk you into a 'whole collection' photo shoot?

I would so love to see that!

Pleeeeeeease?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the biggest baddest cushion or step cut pink diamond with the entire budget.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two kick butt diamond rings in platinum and one platinum/diamond band. Which leads me to wonder- if I sold everything (at a loss), I could still buy those three rings if I took my time and bought pre-loved. But the hassle........

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting question...there are times where I look at my accumulated collection and think of what I could've purchased with the money.

Mine isn't a curated collection of fine pieces like many here have...it's more the result of a hobby and share interest with friends/family that has spanned decades. During different periods, depending on my disposable income or lack thereof, it's ranged from variations of fine jewelry to silver to pure costume. Also what I lean towards can be cyclical as it changes with my lifestyle/tastes.

I have too much and occasionally think I should sell much of it but there is either an emotional attachment (hoarder mentality?) -or- I'd rather gift it than accept what I might get for it from a stranger -or- can't be bothered with the hassle. Occasionally, if I go on a buying spree, I will try and sell a few things to lessen the guilt...but that passes quickly enough :)

So to answer the question -

The pieces I would want to replace are those that have been passed on- irreplaceable. Plus I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something so expensive that I would worry about something happening to it. (I have been known to lose an occasional piece, lol).

So I would probably start again with a few very nice basic pieces (diamond hoops, diamond pendant and a few rings) and use the rest to travel more....then I'd just start accumulating all over again from there based on my tastes/lifestyle/budget at the time. Some people buy designer clothes, shoes or handbags - jewelry is my accessory of choice.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would spend all the money on two CBIs and two watches. One ring and watch for my wife and one ring and watch for myself.

Ooops I forgot. Our jewelry are uninsured... :silenced:

I’ve started a new policy: if the value is under 3-4K, I don’t insure if it is more of an occasional piece. I don’t see the point in insuring the entire collection (but my collection is so much smaller than many here).

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overall I would not replace it, except for my golden south sea and Tahitian pearls, and even then I'd buy fewer pieces. The rest of the money would go toward renovating our home.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b
I sold my pear engagement ring, a VCA bracelet and cartier watch I bought recently that was too clunky and annoying. I'll also be selling my 2.1ct D SI1 AGS000 round. As I get older I just don't need as much. And I love the D color stone but I can't justify having two sizeable rounds. At some point I might like an asscher.

@nala

I probably should have started a thread!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b
I sold my pear engagement ring, a VCA bracelet and cartier watch I bought recently that was too clunky and annoying. I'll also be selling my 2.1ct D SI1 AGS000 round. As I get older I just don't need as much. And I love the D color stone but I can't justify having two sizeable rounds. At some point I might like an asscher.

@nala

I probably should have started a thread!

Which Cartier watch did you find clunky and annoying? Just curious. I entered the arena with a Cartier tank, but I drool over many.

I also want the VCA single red alahambra bracelet.

Q

Queenie60

There was a time when I did loose everything - our home was robbed. We came the realization that it is just "stuff" and stuff can be replaced. I have replaced what I had and more! If I lost everything today, I would buy a huge OEC solitaire, a diamond pendant, diamond studs, one pair of diamond hoops and a few bracelets. I don't wear most of what I own however, our 22 year old daughter has a few of my things and I will eventually pass more her way. Maybe once Covid is over, I'll enjoy my bling a bit more as I'll have the opportunity to dress better.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:think: If Yoram can cut me a 3.5ct Octavia. Kenny, I'm very greedy..:silenced:

Don't be greedy.
Buy it and give it to meeeeeeeee.

Oh, and since you're paying, I take that 3.5 ct Octavia in a D IF, please.
Pretty please. :pray:

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which Cartier watch did you find clunky and annoying? Just curious. I entered the arena with a Cartier tank, but I drool over many.

I also want the VCA single red alahambra bracelet.

It was the Cartier Ballon Bleu. Too big! I'm used to my small Rolex.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I have a very small collection of fine jewelry (had no interest in them before PS), so I would replace everything, except my original e-ring and wedding band.

I know that probably sounds cold, but my taste in jewelry has changed a lot. So I no longer wear the original set. I only kept them for sentimental value, which the replacements wouldn't have.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting question and I have thought about it honestly in the context of what would you replace if you lost everything in a fire or break in. I would definitely replace my engagement ring with either a three stone again or a solitaire and maybe just a plain band. I would replace my diamond studs and diamond pendant but beyond that, I don't know that I would replace my Rolex or my five stone. I have three different diamond bracelets and while I wear all of my jewelry (rotating bracelets) I am not sure that I would replace beyond my staple pieces. I find as I get older that I prefer to simplify rather than quantify. Course if it actually happened, I might be off and running to replace it all - who knows? Lol!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't be greedy.
Buy it and give it to meeeeeeeee.

Oh, and since you're paying, I take that 3.5 ct Octavia in a D IF, please.
Pretty please. :pray:
An F VS1 is good enough for me... :))

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just found this thread, and realised that although I did pose the question in pearaffair's thread, I never actually answered my own question about what I would buy with the money :doh:

The problem for me is that its not a straightforward case of wanting specific things and buying them. For sure there are a few things that I would want to replace straight away:

1) My engagement and wedding rings (1.5ct round brilliant solitaire and diamond band). My current diamond is an ideal cut G SI2, and I would probably think about going up to F VS2 and getting a CBI or ACA. But I wouldnt go up in size because the size of ring I have now is just right for my lifestyle.

2) My bi-colour rose and silver rolex with the silver face and diamond dot dial which my husband bought me. Its perfect and I would want an identical replacement

3) My white gold diamond small huggys - straight replacement

4) My 0.8ct G SI, studs - upgrade to 1ct total and go to F VS, ACA/ CBI

5) My 2 rose gold oval hinged bangles with diamonds - direct replacement

6) My rose gold and diamond atlas pendant and chain - straight replacement

These items represent a small proportion of my collection. I have many necklaces and pendants, and I realised that although I do love them all, I wouldn't replace each of the rest of the them with a directly comparable piece. I would probably want one further white gold solitaire pendant, and a longer 30" rose gold pendant and chain.

I do have a bit of a bracelet and bangle habit, so have quite an array (for every situation/ gold colour/ diamond craving/ day of the week :lol:) but its probably not the best situation in terms of cost per wear. So I would have to think quite hard about slimming it down, taking into account wearability, practicality, stackability, bling factor, comfort, ease of putting on/ taking off, likelihood of snagging on clothes, how satisfying a "clunk" it makes when worn next to others, the feel of the heft and how tactile it is (its important to have something on the wrist to fiddle with at all times :D) So these are not decisions that could be made quickly. In fact, the curation of the capsule bracelet collection could be a lengthy and time consuming project in its own right...........:D

Then there are the rings. I am a hoarder of rings (hence my PS name). Having said that I have probably sold on more rings than I currently have in my collection. But then I have sold on an awful lot..... I have spent years accumulating my collection of right hand rings (many of which probably look like alternative engagement rings). I have tended to be attracted to things that are a little more unusual or difficult to find an excellent example of. I love unique diamond cuts, or if they are generic cuts then they have to have amazing light performance. I like to start with a stone and then design a ring around it. And I like to have a variety of different designs too. Which, or course, leads to the need for one in this category, one in that category etc etc.

I do love coloured gems, although have weeded out a number of my CS rings which were good but not amazing in terms of the standards I have set myself now. If I lost my sapphire ring (from my avatar) I would be devastated, but wouldn't rush to replace it because I would need to find "just the right one" all over again, and that's a time consuming process.

The really big takeway for me when considering all of this, is the extent to which acquiring each piece in my collection (those that weren't surprise gifts from my husband or daughter) has been a labour of love in itself. Some pieces have taken years to find the perfect diamond/ coloured stone/ jewellery item, and part of the satisfaction in doing it has been to find things for a price which is as close to a trade price as possible. I'm not someone who would feel comfortable waltzing into a B&M store with my newely acquired bling fund and paying retail prices for off-the-peg pieces. If it hasn't been painstakingly ferreted out from some far corner of the world, obsessed over, saved up for, coveted and then finally brought to fruition, it doesn't have the same appeal for me. An added bonus for me is when I take it to my jeweller for an insurance valuation and he shakes his head and says: "I couldn't have sourced this at trade myself for the price you paid - would you like a job? :lol:"

So the short answer is that I would replace my top 6 as above pretty quickly and without too much need for extensive searching/ agonising/ planning/ second guessing myself etc. And then I would enjoy knowing that there was a sizeable bling fund to hand which could be accessed and spent slowly and carefully on a slightly less extensive (but probably more expensive on each item) collection of rings and bracelets/ bangles. And a couple more pendants. And earrings.:D Important to have white and rose gold versions. Everyday types and more dressy versions.

I don't think the fund would actually be spent in full at all, or at least not for a number of years. But I would have so much fun hunting down and planning my new sparklies with every bit as much obsessive attention being paid to cut quality and design, (as well as thrift) as I have with my current collection.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I lost all of my jewelry, even with cash it wouldn't be possible to replace my CS jewelry ... the colored gemstones I have really are one-of-a-kind; probably I'd think hard about which colored gemstones really are a part of me and speak to my soul, and then I'd set out on a search for those select few colored gemstones only.
This!! I would so lose my sh*t...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results