shape
carat
color
clarity

If you lost all your jewelry and were given the money instead to do what you liked....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, @pearaffair's wonderful thread about being content with what she has sparked some interesting comments and thought processes. Most fascinating of all, in my opinion, was @diamondhoarder's post, where she wondered, were she to lose all her jewelry and be given a lump sum, what, exactly, would she buy second time around?

So that's my question in this thread: if you lost ALL your jewelry somehow, were given the equivalent amount in cash, would you buy it all again? Some of it? A bit of it? Or would you blow the whole lot and buy a villa in Tuscany? A Porsche? Put it towards retirement? Pay off debt? Put your kids through college? Alternately, does the size of the amount make a difference? If you were to be given a check for $5k, would you spend that on jewelry, but, if you were given a check for $100k, would you feel compelled to do something more responsible? Does amount equal opportunity?

And now, knowing you might do something different if you had the $$, are you tempted to *really* empty out the jewelry stores, and go a different direction?

It will be fascinating to hear from PSers on this topic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely buy another 1.5 ct G VS2 Octavia and set it in the same Cobalt Chrome tension setting at Boonerings.com
For me, in every respect, it's the perfect diamond in the perfect setting.

Karl K is a genius!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I'm just sticking to the basic question about the jewelry (I'm only including the diamonds I wear most often, as I do have a few others and also other gems) .....I thought about a larger colored diamond, but I think I would buy what I have again. None of my diamonds are big - .71 is the largest. But I like the variety of the ones I wear most often - a WX, a chameleon, a brown, a fancy yellow, a fancy green yellow that has phosphorescence, and a fancy intense green yellow.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Will buy loose stones and get custom made pieces. No ready-to-wear or brand anymore. 3-4 rings, 2 necklaces, 2-3 pairs of earrings, 1 bracelet.

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun thread!!! I think I would be tempted to just spend my small fortune on a big CBI or WF dream stone! One ring to rule them all! And the thought has crossed my mind to sell off my collection in pursuit of this one ring to rule them all, but I can’t bring myself to part with the majority of it. Lol.
ETA: the money I have spent on jewelry is money that I would have spent frivolously on stuff. I don’t sacrifice travel or experiences or responsibilities (home needs, donations, retirement savings, etc) for the sake of jewelry. But a girl has to have some fun in life! And right now, jewelry gives me pleasure.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get a check for maybe 12K, which I realize is a fairly paltry amount by PS standards! So I would buy rocks that make me happy... maybe squirrel a little away for a rainy day.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
In theory, if I were to get a check it would be decent sized. I am in a super terrible mood this week, so my answer this week would probably be take the money and not work for an extended period of time.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would replace my wedding ring (3.23 carat red spinel) and diamond studs. Regardless of the size of the check, I'd spend the money on other things. When I joined PS it was a time in my life when, after growing up poor, I was finally financially secure and sought trophies that said "I finally made it". My intention was to find the stone for my wedding ring and have maybe one other custom piece made but the "more, bigger, blingier" bug hit me big time. Seventeen years and a 100 lifetimes later, I discovered that cold metal and hard stones don't bring me the pleasure I thought they would and I've given away a lot of my things to family. What remains will go to my daughters-in-law. My priorities have changed with age and experience and so have the things that bring me pleasure.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I lost all of my jewelry, even with cash it wouldn't be possible to replace my CS jewelry ... the colored gemstones I have really are one-of-a-kind; probably I'd think hard about which colored gemstones really are a part of me and speak to my soul, and then I'd set out on a search for those select few colored gemstones only.

Even though my diamonds are more expensive, to me they are more easily replaced ... DH and I married with only wedding bands, and my "ER" journey didn't start until around our 14th anniversary. I'd probably just go for a graduated five-stone and call it a day.

Impossible to replace my wedding band, which matches DH's including sweet engraving inside shank... but he'd be up for a new set for us, platinum this time, and we'd do something special, maybe even a renewal ceremony, to imbue the new bands with our love and promises to each other.

So I'd probably be spending less than the insurance check, and the extra $$$ could go to a honeymoon-type trip (lol, this is a dream world where travel is still safe and possible).

I would be very sad to lose all of my jewelry and gemstones; they are pretty and shiny, and they all have stories attached to them. I'd still have the stories, and I have photos, but I really do love wearing and looking at my treasures ...

Last edited:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I would be sad because my most important pieces have so much sentimental value.
I would replace my engagement ring--perhaps larger, lol.
After that, I would have to think carefully.
My diamond pendant is my mom's engagement ring diamond--irreplaceable. And any other diamond pendant would only make me sad.

My lifestyle now is simpler so I would probably not use all the $$. Maybe some pearl stud earrings.
I have a DBTY that I would not replace--the twisting makes me nuts and it is a skin oil magnet.

I would probably use the money for travel and maybe a big family trip with all 6 kids and their SO's.
If we can only travel again.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
ALL my jewellery??? Oof lol I would be pretty heartbroken because its so sentimental. Buuuuut I would totally console myself buying one amazing engagement ring and wedding band replacement and one necklace to match the set. Then i would go and use it for things for my house to upgrade it to make life easier and prettier! Vessel sinks are something I dream about someday lol

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh another interesting question... I think, unless life’s necessities took me elsewhere, I’d buy some key pieces in bigger sizes and better quality! I’d get my dream platinum Step cut @9tcw+ diamond line bracelet E/F VS stones, a stunning right hand ring (Sapphire and Diamond most probably) and an @2ct Asscher or Cushion cut G VS or better diamond ring, along with an identical eternity to the one I have and adore. Plus diamond earrings... I’d love to say it’s not that much... but I’m being greedy...I just happen to love perfection!! Oh dear me! Back to reality!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earrings:
I think I'd do my 3 lots of hoop earrings, for casual, then -
My gold diamond drops
My platinum diamond clusters
My pearl and diamond drops
My plain SS pearl studs

Bangles/bracelets - my 3 different colored metal bangles and my 2 diamond bangles

Rings:
My new EC ring, just as it is.
I'd change my 3 stone into a solitaire (and probably will at some point).
My ruby and diamond 5 stone
My opal and diamond ring
A few bands

Necklaces:
My platinum and diamond cluster
My memorial pendant for my dog with ruby and diamond detail
My wedding pendant

Pins:
My diamond pin
My holly pin

That means I'd get rid of all my charm pieces and a couple of bracelets, about 2/3 of my pendants, almost all my pins, a couple of bands and rings, and a few pairs of earrings.

But then again, if someone offered me a check for the whole lot - I'd probably keep my hoops, my plain bangles, my pearl studs, my wedding necklace and my wedding ring. And I'm pretty sure I could be completely happy.

ETA I'd get a pool! FINALLY!!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be heartbroken to lose all my sentimental pieces. However, I think I would replace my MRB and emerald cut diamond rings first. Most likely with the same specs, but larger. Then perhaps, matching necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. And yes, I would use all the money on jewelry.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would replace the diamond items like for like for certain. If budget allows, I would like to add an OEC about 1ct.

I would replace the better CSs and pearls.

I would replace two of the 3 watches, perhaps upgrade one to a model with more diamonds.

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be devastated to lose all of my jewellery!
However, if I could rebuy all my special and important pieces I’d buy
My opal bracelet
My Alexandrite bracelet
My grandmas charm bracelet
Tourmaline and diamond watch conversion bracelet
My engagement ring
My Opal Blossom ring
My emerald and diamond ring
My Rolex watch
Lady and Tiger watch
Elgin Mermaild watch
White gold Longines watch
Gold Bulova watch
Art Deco diamond watch
4 carat diamond studs
Black opal earrings
Big opal pendant.
Opal and diamond pendant
My unset rubies and sapphires
The rest, of which there is ALOT I’d probably just save the money.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have zero sentimental attachments to jewelry. I would miss my little 3 stone oec ring, maybe I could find another or replace it with a moi et toi oec ring instead. For my ER I'd go with a bigger OEC. I'd want a Van Craeynest wedding band maybe. Nothing else really.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not replace any of the white Diamonds except for my Whiteflash bangle, my other bangle and my ring.

I would definitely try to replace the DBL yellow diamond ring although I don't know how because it's so freaking fabulous. I don't think they ever made another one in that price range again.

I'd use the rest of the money to slowly build up my coloured stone collection again. CS is where my heart lies and I know that now. I'd probably try for bigger versions of everything. I like big stones!!!!!

I've always wondered if I should have saved the money to travel with but seeing as we may never travel again I'm glad I bought my pieces.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting thread!

This Covid mess has really made me realize how unimportant my jewelry is. Since I'm not going very much, days go by without me even putting on a wedding band.

So what I would replace today is probably less than what I would have replaced a year ago (and hopefully a year in the future!)

1. Ering exactly as is, ACA in EW Margot
2. LM bead set eternity
3. EW Lily band
4. SS Eden band
5. Studs
6. DBTY
7. Cartier watch
8. 5 stone band

I don't know what I would do with the extra money. Maybe plastic surgery, CO2 skin resurfacing and a short scar facelift (not a full facelift yet!)

I may do that stuff anyway if this Covid crap ever passes.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm also not sentimentally attached to much of it; except my wedding ring. But I dont think I'd care much if I got given a cheque instead -- I'm not even sure if I'd care about whether I got the money back, for my it's only somewhere arround 10+ k though. But if I could get the time I've spent on acquiring it back then I think perhaps I may not do it again. Simply because jewelery doesnt really fit with my life style and is something I often elect not to wear (just like I own no expensive bags partially for concern I'll be laughed at/judged and partially for lack of interest). I also think this hobby is a bit incongruous because my family has zero interest in it -- my husband occasionally humours me by saying he likes (a) more than (b) but deliberately avoids otherwise, my immediate family are the same. So this is not a hobby I can share time with my family on. Given the choice again I think I'd get the time back.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find this thread a bit of a dilemma as i have misplaced a bag of jewlery more than $5K less than 10k:doh:

Im hopeful it will turn up

my OH does not approve of my money i spent on my rings and he does not know the extent of it

Also he would give me such a hard time for being careless its not worth marital disharmony
Also our insurence company are complete @#@$@#@

But back to the question
If i lost everything :-o :(2
i would definatly replace my inherited jewlery, grandma's ER, mum's eternity, her grandmother's ring and my great aunty's ER and mum's pearls .
or msybe i would buy an octivia like Kenny's to represent them all

Or maybe i would build an extension on the house to catch the morning sun

The insurence company would probably insist for replacement with like
which would not be the same quality as grandma's and her sister's ERs but would be ok for my mall brought jewlery

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get a lot of money so I would get a 4-5 ct MRB solitaire in yg and a plain gold band. A pair of studs, a necklace. The rest I would save for retirement.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, if it was all gone, poof, I would replace my wedding set as best as possible, my DH's wedding ring, simple daily studs, a DBTY chain, and save the rest of the cash. We are saving for a house right now so I would take it as a sign to do that.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting you should ask this. I just sold a few pieces and am about to sell one more. I did it because I really wanted a larger diamond solitaire. And here it is - sorry for the photo overload lol.

20200704_184151.jpg 20200704_144009.jpg 20200704_141655.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think I'd want to re-buy every single thing I've got now.
I don't really measure wear (or cost per wear) into my value proposition, though. Some of my most beloved pieces are also my least-used.
I'd know to choose exactly what I've ended up with, though, and avoid expensive "learning" mistakes.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
If it were all to vanish and be replaced with a stack of cash, I'd order some .5ctw lab diamond studs, and probably a .5ish Cartier 1895 and preowned xs trinity (my original wedding band)

Then I'd buy myself all new appliances. I am home full time, and I use the fridge a lot more than I have places to wear my jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results