shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had a $25,000 e-ring & wedding ring budget?

For step cuts (emerald), I'd recommend going no lower than F and VVS. Step cuts really highlight the color and clarity of the stone, compared to round or other brilliant cuts that show more sparkle (so you can get away with color and clarity). Everyone has their own preference, this is just my point of view with balancing the 4Cs!

To add to this point for anyone reading - this is why it’s really, really important to determine your colour and clarity tolerance with your own eyes, in person, in different lighting environments and with the shape in question (and ideally at least close in size, since larger stones will show more colour and be less likely to be eyeclean at a given lower clarity)! It’s the reason why I will not buy a stone I haven’t had the chance to examine/live with in person (whether that’s in person or online vendor with a great return policy). It’s obviously good to err on the side of caution and go for a higher colour and clarity, but that comes at the expense of size or budget. So the best way is to go for the best cut & biggest size in the lowest colour and clarity you can handle; that fits in your budget; but you won’t know what that is until you dont see it for yourself. You might find that you’re really sensitive to colour, like some of our posters, and even F is tinted for you. You might discover that you’re extremely colour tolerant, on the other hand, and either don’t notice or are not bothered by I/J/K colours. A stone could have really well placed inclusions causing a step cut to be eyeclean at SI1, at which VVS may be overkill. Alternately, generalising that to “SI1 is safe” can mean that you end up with a cloudy or not eyeclean stone. Prices change dramatically with a single grade change in colour or clarity especially at bigger sizes, so if size maximisation is a goal (it isn’t for everyone) it’s especially important to do this research!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think CBI does/did buy back their stones at 80% of value no questions asked and they only sell ideal cuts. Wishing you many healthy & happy years together

ignore my comment, looks like they don't do the buyback anymore which is too bad, that was a big differentiator

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
To add, as budget increases, I tend to favor and recommend higher color and clarity as well, since there is more room to upgrade while maintaining a large carat. For example, if your budget was $50k, I would recommend going with F and VVS even for a round brilliant. But again, color and clarity can be very personal choices and trade offs!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The biggest EC with the best cut I could afford, G/H colour, VS clarity, bezel set the main stone, in a paved diamond halo, for a plain platinum band to sit flush against it.

DK =)2

Bravissimo

Shiny_Rock
I’d probably go for a big, excellent emerald cut and a relatively simple band.

Who sell those? they seem pretty hard to find. I am intrigued though. Eventually will inherit an .7 E & could upgrade with another .7 E for a pretty three stone.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ignore my comment, looks like they don't do the buyback anymore which is too bad, that was a big differentiator

Just a comment to correct the impression that we no longer do buybacks. We do. We limit them to one year on new purchases, just as our competitors who offer them do.

Wink

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a comment to correct the impression that we no longer do buybacks. We do. We limit them to one year on new purchases, just as our competitors who offer them do.

Wink

thanks for clarifying. i had the impression (maybe it used to be the case) that it was a lifetime buyback but can see how that's inherently risky and may not be feasible.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I would put the entire $25K into one diamond, either a RB or an emerald cut from a vendor who sold super ideals and had a good trade up policy.

Wedding bands and fancy settings can come later for anniversaries, birthdays, etc.

I personally only wear a solitaire diamond ring and no wedding band because I love my engagement ring and feel anything else on that finger would detract from its simple beauty.

I have a plain gold wedding band I wear when traveling alone and want to fend off the men.

Bravissimo

Shiny_Rock
You can ask JA for the reports on these to see if they fall within ideal cut proportions:

Looks like a camera/focus issue to me, so the report would need to be scrutinized very well:

Thank you for all these ideas!

Bravissimo

Shiny_Rock
thanks for clarifying. i had the impression (maybe it used to be the case) that it was a lifetime buyback but can see how that's inherently risky and may not be feasible.

Thanks!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
None of the vintage rings I can find right now are overly appealing to me.

1) Asscher cut with pave band
1628556229856.png
1628556247950.png
Link to the one above.

2) Mark Morrell RB solitaire (hand forged)
1628556308475.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok dreaming now
I would get a big perfect princess solitar on a reasonably wide yellow gold band
.. .or maybe rose gold with a plain gold wedding ring to match and then some sort of fabulous diamond and gemstone 3/4 eternity

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
For step cuts (emerald), I'd recommend going no lower than F and VVS. Step cuts really highlight the color and clarity of the stone, compared to round or other brilliant cuts that show more sparkle (so you can get away with color and clarity). Everyone has their own preference, this is just my point of view with balancing the 4Cs!

Agree on step cuts showing more color.

Rockcollector

Shiny_Rock
I would get a Victorian cut diamond. It is an emerald cut diamond with extra facets. As large as 25k would allow!

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm jealous and can hardly wait for that stage in life!

Enjoy your youth. I'd happily trade my 4 carat white diamond for the ability to ski black diamonds like a maniac and do a killer camel-sit-change-sit spin again. That being said, aging sure beats the alternative.

@Bravissimo

For $25k I'd do a round diamond, ideal cut on a plain band. Specs to be determined by whatever is most important to you.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am in the "go big and as well cut" in a shape you love and color/clarity that you can tolerate. I mean...yolo...

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
The largest, cleanest, most vivid Demantoid I could find...to heck with the band... ;-)

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would get a Victorian cut diamond. It is an emerald cut diamond with extra facets. As large as 25k would allow!

Hmmmm….and a googling I will go..Christmas is coming after all!

Bravissimo

Shiny_Rock
I would put the entire $25K into one diamond, either a RB or an emerald cut from a vendor who sold super ideals and had a good trade up policy.

Wedding bands and fancy settings can come later for anniversaries, birthdays, etc.

I personally only wear a solitaire diamond ring and no wedding band because I love my engagement ring and feel anything else on that finger would detract from its simple beauty.

I have a plain gold wedding band I wear when traveling alone and want to fend off the men.

Just curious if you could post a hand picture and your ring size.

Could you post a hand shot and your finger size of your solitaire? I am in a quandary. Images help.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@Bravissimo

My diamond, "Dainty", is a 2.56 ct CBI. My ring size is 4.5, but my fingers are freakishly long (think ET, LOL). This was not my original engagement ring, (and not my first marriage either) it was a 15 year upgrade (I'm old!)

Super ideal diamonds really do look larger than non-superideals.

IMG_9848.jpg

IMG_0094 !!.jpg

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
@Bravissimo

My diamond, "Dainty", is a 2.56 ct CBI. My ring size is 4.5, but my fingers are freakishly long (think ET, LOL). This was not my original engagement ring, (and not my first marriage either) it was a 15 year upgrade (I'm old!)

Super ideal diamonds really do look larger than non-superideals.

IMG_9848.jpg

IMG_0094 !!.jpg

I always love seeing your ring! It’s so elegant :)

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I always love seeing your ring! It’s so elegant :)

Awww...thank you beautiful lady! Right back atcha -- I love seeing your gorgeous jewelry!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results