shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had $75,000 to spend on a loose diamond what would you get?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Luver

Rough_Rock
If you had $75,000 to spend on a loose diamond stone what would you get and which vendor would you use? Then after you purchased the loose diamond who would you choose to make up the setting? Leon Mege or someone else? My friend''s husband is buying her a new ring and she can spend up to $100,000 on it incuding the setting.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow...that is insane. If it were me, I would get a really big asscher cut. I used the search tool on pricescope and it looks like you can get a 4 or 5 carat asscher for around $60,000-$80,000.

Then I''d get a Leon Mege setting with some pave and possibly baguette or trap side stones. Franfine has a sick emerald cut with tapered baguettes and pave on the shank from Leon Mege. I''d get something like hers.

Of course, your friend could always get a big fat round brilliant. I personally prefer fancy cuts for extra-large diamonds. Once you get past like 3.5-4 carats in a round it starts to look like too much, in my opinion. (But if I had a 4.5 carat round, I''d still wear it everyday!
28.gif
)

What shape diamond is your friend trying to get?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd get WF to find me a big emerald-cut and have Leon Mege halo it and set it in a micropave split-shank. Alternatively, I'd buy Harry Winston's micropave cushion cut.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 9:14:39 AM
Author: thing2of2
Wow...that is insane. If it were me, I would get a really big asscher cut. I used the search tool on pricescope and it looks like you can get a 4 or 5 carat asscher for around $60,000-$80,000.

Then I''d get a Leon Mege setting with some pave and possibly baguette or trap side stones. Franfine has a sick emerald cut with tapered baguettes and pave on the shank from Leon Mege. I''d get something like hers.
That''s not with the cut quality search though.
2.gif

I''ve been dreaming of the exact same stone as you, and in a really well cut Asscher, which you definitely want, it''s well over 100,000.00.
39.gif

I would have GOG find me the biggest Asscher I could get, G VS1, maybe VS2, and have Leon Mege do a setting.

But Asschers aren''t for everyone....

Your friend is really lucky!!

Diamond Luver

Rough_Rock
My friend my be leaning towards a cushion. What do you think of that? If so, should she be dealing with Mark Turnowski at Engagement Rings Direct? Any thoughts on a setting for a big honking cushion?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The HW micropave setting!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 9:33:21 AM
Author: Diamond Luver
My friend my be leaning towards a cushion. What do you think of that? If so, should she be dealing with Mark Turnowski at Engagement Rings Direct? Any thoughts on a setting for a big honking cushion?
Yes, Mark seems to be the "go to" guy for cushions. And I ditto Harriet on the Harry Winston setting.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,
Isn't it gorgeous?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 10:10:03 AM
Author: Harriet
Ellen,
Isn''t it gorgeous?
Beyond...
18.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you think Leon can recreate it?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think so.

ETA, there would have to be some minor changes I believe, infringement rights...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry for threadjacking.
1.gif
I'm waiting for Leon to give me a quote for setting a green tsavorite in that style.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i''d go for the largest finest emerald cut set very simply in a very fine platinum mounting.
1.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
GOG for a perfect asscher and MWM for a gorgeous yet simple platinum setting. I''ve always thought that a really beautiful asscher crys out for a more spare type of setting.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
with that kind of $$ i''d go visit neil lane. he has some to die for rings.
22.gif

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Lucky lady. I think huge asscher with Leon setting, maybe like Pokey''s magnificent ring.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 9:26:46 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/6/2007 9:14:39 AM
Author: thing2of2

That''s not with the cut quality search though.
2.gif

I''ve been dreaming of the exact same stone as you, and in a really well cut Asscher, which you definitely want, it''s well over 100,000.00.
39.gif

I would have GOG find me the biggest Asscher I could get, G VS1, maybe VS2, and have Leon Mege do a setting.

But Asschers aren''t for everyone....

Your friend is really lucky!!
asschers aren''t for everyone... heck, if I could have a 5 carat asscher I''d give up my cushion. Ooops I didn''t say that LOL!! I like BIG asschers!! haha

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 11:39:29 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
asschers aren''t for everyone... heck, if I could have a 5 carat asscher I''d give up my cushion. Ooops I didn''t say that LOL!! I like BIG asschers!! haha
6.gif

I''m glad your cushion got sent off so it didn''t hear you say that.

25.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 9:01:40 AM
Author:Diamond Luver
If you had $75,000 to spend on a loose diamond stone what would you get and which vendor would you use? Then after you purchased the loose diamond who would you choose to make up the setting? Leon Mege or someone else? My friend''s husband is buying her a new ring and she can spend up to $100,000 on it incuding the setting.
well I wouldn''t spend 25k on a setting... I''d leave at most 15k but probably spend less than 10k and really, I could be happy with less than 5k LOL

That leaves a lot more for the diamond ;-)

If it were my only diamond and this was instead of what I have... I would be torn between a D str blue and a K/L/M hued stone... and it would probably be a cushion, but I would have to find a way to get one from my favorite cushion cutter and it would be 4-5 carats depending on which color direction I went in.

I don''t know that I have a way I''d do it - I like the way I''m doing the ring I''m doing now so that''s my first impulse is to say that I''d do that... but really it would depend on the stone.

But if I got to keep the diamond I have... then I''d probably get a 2 carat round pendant and go on a 2 month tour of europe LOL Or I''d get an 5-8 carat ruby and have it set in a beveled diamond halo...

I''d probably get at least 2 different things out of that kind of cash.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like there''s some deep, hidden Asscher-longing out there!
1.gif
Asschers, Cushions or Emeralds might tempt me in Super-Size! But a trip to Neil Lane is a good idea in that price range too ...
2.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
If it had to be an engagement ring:

1. An antique cushion cut solitaire ring from Cartier, Van Cleef or Chaumet - private dealer
2. The largest semi-modern brilliant cushion I could afford set in a very delicate micro pave split shank Leon setting with intricate pave gallery work to my specifications.
3. BIG FAT Royal Asscher in a Daniel K setting (the or Rosebud setting)

If not and it could be anything. I would want a cushion shaped Kashmiri Sapphire in a delicate pave halo.
30.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I suppose I should look at Asshers.

Meanwhile...not easy to spend that kind of cash.

I still do like rounds. Here''s one...at $83K, just a smidgen over budget...and I think we can lose some cash from the ring to include it.

Or, if a cushion, and Mark at ERD, here''s one similarly priced to look at...though it''s hard to get features live even very good symmetry, as they get big.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 11:51:56 AM
Author: Nicrez

If it had to be an engagement ring:

1. An antique cushion cut solitaire ring from Cartier, Van Cleef or Chaumet - private dealer
2. The largest semi-modern brilliant cushion I could afford set in a very delicate micro pave split shank Leon setting with intricate pave gallery work to my specifications.
3. BIG FAT Royal Asscher in a Daniel K setting (the or Rosebud setting)

If not and it could be anything. I would want a cushion shaped Kashmiri Sapphire in a delicate pave halo.
30.gif
LOL Nicrez....I like the way you think!!

I''d make it an asscher or an antque-y cushion for sure. HW, Cartier, or VCA would be nice too, but I guess I''d settle for an LM! LOL.

Almost ANYTHING other than an RB!

widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 11:45:00 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/6/2007 11:39:29 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
6.gif

I''m glad your cushion got sent off so it didn''t hear you say that.

25.gif
bahahahaha!!! Cushions, Emeralds, and Asschers to ME are best big. Especially Asschers. But I can''t afford a 5 carat asscher so cushion is safe LOL

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Funny but I think Asschers are best at a certain range. Sometimes the larger ones are too unweildy and heavy... I would say that from 1.5cts to 7cts, they are at their nicest. my ideal Asscher range is a nice chunky 4ct. Yummy. I tried one on and it was perfect for my smaller hands. I think the LARGER stones can look good in cushions and ovals, etc because the depth (or crown) isn't there to make the stone so heavy...

So in the 3-5CT+ range with that budget i would even seriously consider a well cut Emerald. N nice emerald with good proportions and a clean classic setting, a la Harry with the double claw prong...*swoon*
30.gif
I think emeralds and radiants are the best cuts for a stone of LARGE proportions (over 5+). IMHO...
31.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2007 1:31:04 PM

So in the 3-5CT+ range with that budget i would even seriously consider a well cut Emerald. N nice emerald with good proportions and a clean classic setting, a la Harry with the double claw prong...*swoon*
30.gif
I think emeralds and radiants are the best cuts for a stone of LARGE proportions (over 5+). IMHO...
31.gif
HI:

I couldn''t agree more......
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 1:31:04 PM
Funny but I think Asschers are best at a certain range. Sometimes the larger ones are too unweildy and heavy... I would say that from 1.5cts to 7cts, they are at their nicest.
I was just thinking that yesterday when I saw Eliz. Hurley''s FIFTEEN CARAT ASSCHER in the Celeb Rings Thread. From a distance it looks super "blah" ... like a big ol'' ice cube. Too much room between the steps to have the scint or fire to charm.

Diamondfan''s 10 ct-ish EC, however, is phenomenal! EC''s somehow "work" big! ... As do old style cushions ... DELISH.

I kinda think COLOR helps as you go bigger too ... Canary anyone?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd get either a humongous asscher or cushion for 90K....and then save around 10-15K for a Leon Mege setting. I would not halo such a large beast. On the asscher, maybe I'd have graduated emerald cuts inside the shank, going from large to small as they go down the sides of the shank....with milgrain. On the cushion, I'd probably do a simple 3-sided pave shank, around 2.5mm wide.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Cushion or emerald cut. Very simple setting. If EC I would put on side baguettes. If cushion some very minimal pave on the prongs and basket. For me, the bigger the stone gets, the more simplicity is better. Lengths approaching 14mm do not look very nice on my hand, so it would have to stay smaller than that.

I probably would not prefer a giant, giant round, but I could see the money going on a stunning D color round. I don''t like rounds much over 4ct.

With that budget I would definitely be thinking long run value/rarity and would want a high color, high clarity stone. Having done that, I guess the 100K would go very fast!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
To me, this is a better question than “what would you do if you won the lotto”. Or basically, it’s the same question!
a 3 ct perfect old european cut in an antique setting.
Or, I would get a 3 ct Radiant and set it with traps.
Or, lol, a 3 ct round brilliant solitaire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results