shape
carat
color
clarity

If someone's looking for a pretty 3.6ct OEC...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! I heard someone advise that you should treat yourself during this virus shutdown...I'm game! Not sure how my DH
would feel about the $37k missing from savings though!:lol:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love seeing Chase diamonds

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@prs exactly, and he's in LA! It came up in my IG feed and I immediately thought of you and your quest!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@prs exactly, and he's in LA! It came up in my IG feed and I immediately thought of you and your quest!

We are totally familiar with Hermosa Beach as we got married right next door in Redondo Beach. We bought DW's ER in a small family run jewelry store in Manhattan Beach, so we got Hermosa surrounded! =)2

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Seller seems like he's been in the biz awhile too. Maybe you guys could arrange some acceptable , socially distanced meet up?

(If your DW likes the stone!)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Guess: 1930s cut, perfectly refreshed finish. Ideal.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The diamond is gorgeous and GIA certed 3.62ct I, VS2 . Table is 45% with a depth of 66.0%. The crown facet pattern is just about ideal, IMHO, with the stars almost perfectly aligned with the table facet.

Chase 3.62ct 1A.png

The pavilion facets look pretty good too, with the lowers coming into view prominently as soon as the diamond is tilted. The diamond also has a good spread for an OEC. DW had been aiming for something bigger, but with a warmer and lower color to keep the price within budget. Having seen this stone she's still trying to decide between color and size...it's going to be a tough one!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So I gather you guys got to see it in person?!
I totally understand your wife's conundrum. I myself went lower color, but I'm not that color sensitive and actually find the warmer colors beautiful too (mine's an N).
But you could keep searching, and find a spready 3 carat or a deep 4 ct and still be around the same mm! The proportions on THIS particular stone are right in the "sweet spot" range, imo. And an I color and VS clarity to boot.
I will say, remember : stones look bigger once they are set too.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chase was very responsive and emailed the details.

With regard to spread you have to remember this was the first OEC DW ever saw in person.

6.19ct 3.jpg

It's JbG's 6.19ct L, SI1 with its 11.87x12.17 spread, and it fit perfectly on her finger!!! :eek-2: Hell will freeze over before DW will spend $98K on a diamond, but I suspect 10.5mm is about as small as she's willing to go. =)2

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I get it. My budget allowed for a higher color 2 ct range, but, honestly, I feared it would be too small for me. I ended up with a 3.51 N . Turns out , its my " just right " combo. I'm sure she will find the one that satisfies !
We all have our preferences and priorities ;-)

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We spent last fall visiting auction previews in the LA area and looking at different sizes and colors of diamonds. This was before we even knew OECs existed.

One thing that mystified us about the warmer colors was there seemed to be a huge variation in how they looked. One M color would seem dull and almost dirty looking, and the next would look much whiter and brighter with a touch of warm yellow. I am beginning to think this is all due to light return, and it's the better cut stones that look so good. Chisty, I'm sure your OEC has an almost ideal cut, that's why it looks so beautiful, nobody would ever guess it was an N.

I just have to figure out what that ideal cut is for an OEC. I'll get there, of that I'm quite confident. :mrgreen2:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I bought my stone off IG from Alex Parks at Parks Fine Group. I saw a stone I really liked, saw the GIA report. Proportions were in line with what I was seeking. And, he told me it was one of the best oec cuts he'd seen. Perhaps trusting a diamond dealer might seem on par with trusting a used car salesman, but I paid my money and took my chance. (With a return option, always!). Man, oh, man, when I opened that Fed Ex package, I nearly died from happiness!
I do think a good cut is important. Good light return , and getting both sparkles and fire (hey, I wanted it ALL).
Most of the reputable dealers will give you their opinion. I know a lot of people here have had good luck with Adam @Old World Diamonds too.
It would be easy to reach out to them, if you haven't already, and tell them you are looking for a nearly ideal cut oec in "X" size range. See what they come up with. You can see the GIA report, see the stone with your eyes, and get their opinion. All without spending a dime .
I really can't wait to see what you guys end up with!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
The diamond is gorgeous and GIA certed 3.62ct I, VS2 . Table is 45% with a depth of 66.0%. The crown facet pattern is just about ideal, IMHO, with the stars almost perfectly aligned with the table facet.

Chase 3.62ct 1A.png

The pavilion facets look pretty good too, with the lowers coming into view prominently as soon as the diamond is tilted. The diamond also has a good spread for an OEC. DW had been aiming for something bigger, but with a warmer and lower color to keep the price within budget. Having seen this stone she's still trying to decide between color and size...it's going to be a tough one!

What carat size does she has in mind?

Reactions: prs

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We spent last fall visiting auction previews in the LA area and looking at different sizes and colors of diamonds. This was before we even knew OECs existed.

One thing that mystified us about the warmer colors was there seemed to be a huge variation in how they looked. One M color would seem dull and almost dirty looking, and the next would look much whiter and brighter with a touch of warm yellow. I am beginning to think this is all due to light return, and it's the better cut stones that look so good. Chisty, I'm sure your OEC has an almost ideal cut, that's why it looks so beautiful, nobody would ever guess it was an N.

I just have to figure out what that ideal cut is for an OEC. I'll get there, of that I'm quite confident. :mrgreen2:

Cut is only part of the equation, I have a 5.34 carat L that faces up white most of the time, it is due to the underlying body hue or colour tint of the diamond, some base body colours like yellows show up way more than others and therefore will make one M look yellow, some look brown, some look grey, some look white and so on.....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is only part of the equation, I have a 5.34 carat L that faces up white most of the time, it is due to the underlying body hue or colour tint of the diamond, some base body colours like yellows show up way more than others and therefore will make one M look yellow, some look brown, some look grey, some look white and so on.....

Just curious what the underlying body color of your L is @arkieb1 ?

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What carat size does she has in mind?

If we were looking for an MRB with a 10.50 mm spread and an excellent cut, the answer would be easy: 4.5ct.

However, thanks to GIA, there is essentially no limit on crown or pavilion angles for OECs. A stone with a 30° CA and a 40° PA would give me a very different answer than a stone with a 45°CA and a 45°PA. In addition, because GIA hides those numbers from us, we don't know what combination of those angles contributed to the spread of any given stone. Nor do we know if those angles were cut to give good light return or cut for weight.

Will the stone be bright and beautiful or dull as ditch water? You sure as heck can't find out from a photo or video in studio lighting, but knowing the angles sure would help. Thank you GIA for keeping that info from us too!

Sorry if my answer is a bit more complicated than you were expecting, you can see the GIA situation is a pet peeve of mine!!! :mrgreen2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes, I know from watching too many Good Old Gold videos that "warmer" color stones with brown or grey tint sometimes sell at a discount compared to those with a yellow tint. However I do believe that a great cut will significantly improve the face up color of all three.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@prs The muddy look might be grain or - rudimentary polish, that may or may not be possible to correct, I only know to ask.

_

& at random, www [nb. color, proportions!] - there might be reasons out there to breach the budget

joelly

Ideal_Rock
If we were looking for an MRB with a 10.50 mm spread and an excellent cut, the answer would be easy: 4.5ct.

However, thanks to GIA, there is essentially no limit on crown or pavilion angles for OECs. A stone with a 30° CA and a 40° PA would give me a very different answer than a stone with a 45°CA and a 45°PA. In addition, because GIA hides those numbers from us, we don't know what combination of those angles contributed to the spread of any given stone. Nor do we know if those angles were cut to give good light return or cut for weight.

Will the stone be bright and beautiful or dull as ditch water? You sure as heck can't find out from a photo or video in studio lighting, but knowing the angles sure would help. Thank you GIA for keeping that info from us too!

Sorry if my answer is a bit more complicated than you were expecting, you can see the GIA situation is a pet peeve of mine!!! :mrgreen2:

I can see that. I’m so looking forward to what you come up with.

Reactions: prs

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock

Ummm @arkieb1 we want to see your 5 carat!:kiss2::appl:certainly no rush but anytime would be a thrill!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm @arkieb1 we want to see your 5 carat!:kiss2::appl:certainly no rush but anytime would be a thrill!

@tyty333 - look at the side on photos, it actually looks way more yellow side on in the photos than it is in real life. Face up because of the big facets and the general fact old cuts I think hide and mask colour better than say round brilliants and most fancy cuts do it faces as white as my transitional J or better.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 - look at the side on photos, it actually looks way more yellow side on in the photos than it is in real life. Face up because of the big facets and the general fact old cuts I think hide and mask colour better than say round brilliants and most fancy cuts do it faces as white as my transitional J or better.

What an absolutely fabulous diamond @arkieb1 !!! Hope you don't mind if I share the best photo I could find of its gorgeous facet pattern.

arkieb1 5.42ct L VS2 4 (2).jpg

I'm guessing your stone was cut after the American Henry Morse changed diamond cutting for ever in the 1880s. He discovered the crown and pavilion angles that made diamonds so beautiful, and by the 1900s this had started to be taken up by European cutters too. With a depth of 61% the pavilion angle of your stone is likely darn near perfect for light return. That's why it faces up so white, and why it has such a terrific spread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results