shape
carat
color
clarity

If it's eye clean and not milky/cloudy...

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The knot on the crown makes it a no go for me.
They can come out leaving a nasty looking cavity on the crown making the stone less valuable.
That is my opinion and others may disagree.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy a diamond with one of these 3 words on its lab report.
bruise, knot or cavity...that just me.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a big advocate for a unicorn SI2 stone. This is not one of those stones.

Having not personally examined the diamond, this is speculative, but there's so little chance of that being eye clean. I worry their definition is a bit loose..

Also ditto, the knot is the real deal breaker.

KarenmO

Rough_Rock
B5BD5032-38EA-47BD-B9E7-99DB7BB8F5D0.jpeg Knot cool, man!

Thanks for the input. The vault manager said the diamond is eye clean and not milky or hazy in appearance. Consequently, will these inclusions affect the sparkle of the diamond? If this is the knot that is a deal breaker for many, can it be covered with a prong? Can you actually feel a knot on the surface of the diamond?

I’m also open to other BN stones under $18k.

KarenmO

Rough_Rock
The knot on the crown makes it a no go for me.
They can come out leaving a nasty looking cavity on the crown making the stone less valuable.
That is my opinion and others may disagree.
Hello Karl,

When you say “come out” do you mean the knot can rise to the surface of the diamond and actually cause a hole/cavity on the surface?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hello Karl,

When you say “come out” do you mean the knot can rise to the surface of the diamond and actually cause a hole/cavity on the surface?
A knot is a another body usually another diamond crystal embedded in the diamond, that is at least partially exposed to the surface.
When it is fully enclosed its called a crystal.
Yes a knot can come out leaving a cavity.

KarenmO

Rough_Rock
A knot is a another body usually another diamond crystal embedded in the diamond, that is at least partially exposed to the surface.
When it is fully enclosed its called a crystal.
Yes a knot can come out leaving a cavity.

That sounds horrible. Do you think this particular knot given its location would raise a durability issue on the stone?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At that size, I would not trust any eyes but my own to confirm eye cleanliness, and I doubt I would take a chance on that diamond with so many other better/comparable diamonds available. Sorry! :(2

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds horrible. Do you think this particular knot given its location would raise a durability issue on the stone?
Any knot on the crown can be a concern.

KarenmO

Rough_Rock
I have been reading about knots all day. I am still interested in the stone because it has been deemed eye clean, is in my price range, and is my color and size preference. It has a 30 day return policy and I would like to see it in person. If I were to proceed with the sale, from a durability standpoint, would it be advisable to have the knot covered by a prong if possible? Or would it be preferable not to cover the knot? I plan to get insurance for the stone. Thank you.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am all about finding a deal or bargain to stay in budget or even come in below budget, and I’m not the biggest clarity-phobe, but I agree with @gm89uk ... I doubt that diamond will be eye clean. I had it up on my iPad, and stepped about 8 feet away, and I could still make out the scattering of inclusions which I can only imagine would impact how well the diamond performs. And if that knot does come out, it will be a pit that will collect dirt/lotion/etc. and further impact performance. We use our hands a lot, and I’ve bonked my rings on a few occasions enough to have me immediately rush to my loupe and inspect them.

Your knot may/may never get knocked loose/out, but with soooooooo many other diamonds on the market just waiting to be bought, why take an unnecessary risk? :confused: Post your specs and budget, and let PSers work their magic to find you a diamond you can be confident in and will love.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

KarenmO

Rough_Rock
It is really that bad, huh? I would like for the stone to be an heirloom so if the original stone is across the board repulsive, then it is probably priced low because nobody wants to touch it. My budget is around $18k and it has to be BN. I would like an H but an eye clean I is good enough for me. +2.2 carats would be great!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is really that bad, huh? I would like for the stone to be an heirloom so if the original stone is across the board repulsive, then it is probably priced low because nobody wants to touch it. My budget is around $18k and it has to be BN. I would like an H but an eye clean I is good enough for me. +2.2 carats would be great!
Just curious as to why it has to be BN? Is it an upgrade?

KarenmO

Rough_Rock
Just curious as to why it has to be BN? Is it an upgrade?

Yes. Purchased original stone at a time when one could easily register one's gmail email addresses as one's first and last name.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KarenmO the stone you are looking at is definitely not a good choice, I am sorry to say. Can you please give us the specs of your current diamond?

KarenmO

Rough_Rock
It's okay. That's why I am seeking the opinion of experts. Thank you for helping.

I purchased this:

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 4.02.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 4.02.15 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 4.00.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 4.00.57 PM.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 11

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KarenmO It appears your current diamond is a 60/60 (table & depth). Do you like how it performs/looks/behaves?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KarenmO thanks for sharing the stats of your current stone. It seems to be a well cut 60/60 style stone.

I think I found a pretty amazing option for you. If you like it please put it on hold ASAP.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

The same stone is listed here for less and BN has a price match policy:
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-2.22-carat-g-si1-yd5776236

It is a gorgeous, white and very well cut stone.:love:

Amazing find!!!!! OP, please buy this one, it's awesome!

KarenmO

Rough_Rock
@KarenmO thanks for sharing the stats of your current stone. It seems to be a well cut 60/60 style stone.

I think I found a pretty amazing option for you. If you like it please put it on hold ASAP.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

The same stone is listed here for less and BN has a price match policy:
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-2.22-carat-g-si1-yd5776236

It is a gorgeous, white and very well cut stone.:love:

Thanks for this gorgeous find, Simone! I placed it on reserve. The depth is 62.7... doesn't PS recommend staying under 62.3?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this gorgeous find, Simone! I placed it on reserve. The depth is 62.7... doesn't PS recommend staying under 62.3?
Np! The depth is a little out of the “ideal” proportions, but the cut proportions are gorgeous and the ASET is beautiful, so there is nothing to worry about. I personally find the depth limits a bit harsh because many times we fail to notice gorgeous stones like this one ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results