shape
carat
color
clarity

If I was to compromise on one thing....what should i be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
The problem with going peerless is that they price their stones based on carat. So a 1 carat diamond is priced the same regardless of the rest of the specs. Makes no sense to me at all. Maybe I should look away from peerless but still keep an ideal cut. Go up to about a carat (maybe a bit under), keep the SI1 and maybe drop the color a bit.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 9:48:18 PM
Author: Treasure43
The problem with going peerless is that they price their stones based on carat. So a 1 carat diamond is priced the same regardless of the rest of the specs. Makes no sense to me at all. Maybe I should look away from peerless but still keep an ideal cut. Go up to about a carat (maybe a bit under), keep the SI1 and maybe drop the color a bit.
I''d say there are plenty of red flags about the peerless pricing. I''d definitely go to G or H color and SI1 in a AGS0 ideal cut or GIA triple excellent. If you think you could take a trip to James Allen (with an appointment), then you could start looking at their stones online so that they could have a few available for you to look at.

Here are some suggestions:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1218699.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1218728.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1218727.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Just have to mention this one if you really want F color:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1843958.htm ($5087 with wire/pricescope discount)

(Add me to the list of those who wouldn''t buy a diamond any other way than from one of the vendors that specializes in top cut quality.)

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
How do you set up an appointment with James Allen? I know they have a customer service location in MD (we''re in Richmond) but can I go there and look at the stones? I just wouldn''t feel comfortable if I haven''t seen the stone in person.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 10:07:26 PM
How do you set up an appointment with James Allen? I know they have a customer service location in MD (we''re in Richmond) but can I go there and look at the stones? I just wouldn''t feel comfortable if I haven''t seen the stone in person.
Just call and ask, Jim Schultz who is the CEO of JA is very nice, as are his staff, so telephone and ask about setting up an appointment, he will be able to tell you where he sees clients.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 9:37:37 PM
Author: hearts-arrows_girl
In my opinion, I would absolutely not compromise on the size. If you have your heart set on a 1ct size, then get a .75, you will be doing nothing but waiting for your first upgrade and will not be able to just enjoy your ring. DSS is not a myth! I would change something more subtle, like go to an H, I had an E and am perfectly happy with my H. Going with Ideal or excellent cut is a great option too. But again, size is what you will notice the most if you go smaller than intended (I also would keep the cut in the higher ranges too, but you could slightly step down from a name brand). I still drool over the ''Hearts on Fire'' stones in the stores, so I understand the appeal of a branded stone, but my current stone is every bit as beautiful to me and it is a GIA Excellent cut, not top of the line but close enough for me. 1 carat stones are beautiful, especially if you are putting so much money into the cut. You can see all the razzle dazzle better the bigger you go. Good luck, if you get the Peerless, I can''t wait to see pictures. I have never seen one!
Word.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the help everyone! We''re going to look at some more diamonds at Jared tonight and I"ll give James Allen a call!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 10:07:26 PM
Setting up an appointment with them would be SUCH a great idea! I just hate to see people pay the Jared prices when you could get just as beautiful a stone elsewhere for less money!

robh505

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 10:52:38 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone! We''re going to look at some more diamonds at Jared tonight and I''ll give James Allen a call!
I would comprimise on the requirement to keep on going to Jared. You don''t have to compromise at all on the quality or size of the stone you''re looking for, just find a better (cheaper) store to buy it at.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results