shape
carat
color
clarity

If I was to compromise on one thing....what should i be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Still in the process of ring shopping. The setting is taken care of. The center stone is where it becomes a problem. Ideally I''d like a 1 carat round color F with no visable inclusions. A peerless or other ideal cut is a must. My boyfriend and I have discussed it and buying it online is NOT an option for us. I''m not sure whether to compromise on color, size, or try an excellent or ideal cut instead of the peerless we had looked at. Our ideal budget for just the center stone would be about $5000. Any ideas?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 10:51:16 AM
Author:Treasure43
Still in the process of ring shopping. The setting is taken care of. The center stone is where it becomes a problem. Ideally I'd like a 1 carat round color F with no visable inclusions. A peerless or other ideal cut is a must. My boyfriend and I have discussed it and buying it online is NOT an option for us. I'm not sure whether to compromise on color, size, or try an excellent or ideal cut instead of the peerless we had looked at. Our ideal budget for just the center stone would be about $5000. Any ideas?
If you like the Peerless then thats the way to go if you don't mind the premium. I don't know too much about the Peerless but I think they might be AGS0 cut grade, if so then you might be able to find these that are non branded. Also some GIA Excellent can be great buys but you have to evaluate those more carefully.

What you can do, when you see some diamonds you like, either use the Holloway Cut Advisor to find the ones which score below 2 as your shortlist, and or post the proportions here and we can check the diamonds out for you, we need the depth, table, angles etc.

Cut advisor - https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

As for where to compromise, I would add G and H colour to the list if you are agreeable, if you really want an F colour then look at VS2 or SI clarity grades which could be eyeclean and suitable. But whatever you do find a well cut diamond then the rest falls within budgetary constraints.

Another idea, if you don't mind me asking where you are located? Some of the vendors have brick and mortar stores as well as online inventory so if you are close to one of the PS vendors who have a store, then that might work for you. I know it is a long shot but I thought it might be worth asking.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clarity. As long as it is eye-clean, no one should notice a difference between an IF or an eye-clean SI1/2.

Drop size just below 1ct to avoid the price jump, but you will have less choices although the cuts should on average be much better in that range than those that are just at the 1ct range.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Well the ring we were looking at was 1 carat, SI1, peerless, color was F or G (I can't remember which) and because they were peerless they wanted $7200 for it. I could go down in size to a .75 which would fit our budget better but I had my heart set on a 1 carat (or around there). Does anyone know if there's a real difference between a peerless and another ideal cut stone? Perhaps going not with the peerless would allow me the option of getting the 1 carat (or a bit lower).

Also, I can notice a difference in color when shown two diamonds next to each other, but does it really make that much of a difference when it's set? I had my heart set on F but I suppose G or H might be an option if you can't really tell the difference once it's set.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 11:02:32 AM
Author: Treasure43
Well the ring we were looking at was 1 carat, SI1, peerless, color was F or G (I can't remember which) and because they were peerless they wanted $7200 for it. I could go down in size to a .75 which would fit our budget better but I had my heart set on a 1 carat (or around there). Does anyone know if there's a real difference between a peerless and another ideal cut stone? Perhaps going not with the peerless would allow me the option of getting the 1 carat (or a bit lower).

Also, I can notice a difference in color when shown two diamonds next to each other, but does it really make that much of a difference when it's set? I had my heart set on F but I suppose G or H might be an option if you can't really tell the difference once it's set.
If it is important to you to go for the full carat then do so, sometimes going slightly less than can make a difference mentally if you don't feel you have the full one carat diamond, so do your best to aim for that if it is important to you!! Also it is not necessarily true that diamonds slightly less than a carat especially with branded cuts such as Peerless will have better cut quality than ones around the 1 ct mark. Concerning colour, you probably won't notice a colour difference when the diamonds are mounted. I would recommend you lower the clarity as I said earlier and look at G or H in person of similar size and cut quality, you might find these grades would actually be a good fit for you.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Should I lower the clarity from SI1 to SI2? SI1 is what we''re looking at currently.

I''d be fine with a little bit under a carat.

A G or H would be fine with me I think, as long as I don''t see them side by side with an F or E because then I can really see a difference.

Does anyone know if Jared''s has ideal cut diamonds that are NOT brand name (ie: peerless, leo, heart''s desire) so that I could compare?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 11:20:57 AM
Should I lower the clarity from SI1 to SI2? SI1 is what we''re looking at currently.

I''d be fine with a little bit under a carat.

A G or H would be fine with me I think, as long as I don''t see them side by side with an F or E because then I can really see a difference.

Does anyone know if Jared''s has ideal cut diamonds that are NOT brand name (ie: peerless, leo, heart''s desire) so that I could compare?

I would add SI2 into your list of requirements and definitely G or H. As to whether they have non branded diamonds I don''t know that carry AGS0 cut grade, one of the other Stateside PSers might know. Also you can look at GIA Excellent if they have those, but evaluate those diamonds carefully as above.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Is SI2 guarenteed to be eye-clean?

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
No, an SI2 needs to be seen by you or someone you trust to determine if it''s eye-clean.

Regarding the peerless diamonds at Jared: I think they have some weird pricing plan at Jared, where the cost of their peerless diamonds is determined entirely by carat weight (i.e., a 1 ct G VS1 costs the same as a 1 ct H SI1). I could be wrong on that, though. Regardless, their peerless diamonds are all AGS0, and usually look pretty nice. You should ask to see some unbranded AGS0 or GIA excellent diamonds, but they might not carry any of these unbranded.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 11:39:41 AM
Is SI2 guarenteed to be eye-clean?
Absolutely not, SI are not created equal so as you are shopping in person you will need to check each diamond out very carefully and if possible away from the store lights as inclusions can pop out in some lights more than others.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 11:49:53 AM
Author: RBsearch
No, an SI2 needs to be seen by you or someone you trust to determine if it''s eye-clean.

Regarding the peerless diamonds at Jared: I think they have some weird pricing plan at Jared, where the cost of their peerless diamonds is determined entirely by carat weight (i.e., a 1 ct G VS1 costs the same as a 1 ct H SI1). I could be wrong on that, though. Regardless, their peerless diamonds are all AGS0, and usually look pretty nice. You should ask to see some unbranded AGS0 or GIA excellent diamonds, but they might not carry any of these unbranded.
Thanks for confirming that!
35.gif

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the information. I''ll have to go and explore some more!

The pricing was a bit odd on the peerless. The shape of the cut made no difference and the peerless we looked at was actually less expensive than a non-peerless with slightly lower stats.

So what is the clarity rating that means that the stone is eye clean? SI1? VS2? Or does it just vary by stone?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

You are right about their pricing plan. Also, a 1 ct. diamond from them may not be a full 1 ct. It may be .96 or something like that. They have a size range that they call a carat. Also, it seems unlikely that you would find an F color stone in their Peerless collection.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
I have only looked at a couple of peerless diamonds, but oddly they were both listed as exactly 1.00 ct on the AGS report. Anyhow, I think the peerless diamonds don''t vary much in color/clarity, which allows them to have a fixed price per ct.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm...our salesman told us he could get us a F color for a few hundred dollars more.

I was also curious, what is the minuimum for the stone to be eye clean? SI1, VS2?

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
Hi Treasure... We have a Jared here in town, do you happen to live in Northern Cali?? The reason I ask is because the jeweler we are working with is S.F. just found us a cushion way below Jared''s prices (I was window shopping there during lunchtime to kill time) and even beat BN''s price for the exact same stone online :) Just thought I''d throw that out there.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have asked them before about whether they carried GIA cert diamonds, and to my recollection, they said no, theirs were IGI... RBsearch is correct in that they offer a set price per carat weight regardless of color, and dependent on their onhand inventory however their peerless was only carried from H and above was what they told me last (could be wrong but that was what I told from the sales person)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
So basically you won''t know if it''s eye clean or not until you look at it then.

Sadly, we''re not in Cali, we''re in Virginia

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 1:17:43 PM
So basically you won''t know if it''s eye clean or not until you look at it then.

Which part of Virginia? If you are within driving distance of DC or NYC, it might just be possible for you to visit GOG or JA. GOG is in Long Island and they have a store front there, need to make a appointment with them first, JA is in DC I think, not sure if they have a viewing room, but won''t hurt to ask.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2009 12:36:48 PM
Hmm...our salesman told us he could get us a F color for a few hundred dollars more.

I was also curious, what is the minuimum for the stone to be eye clean? SI1, VS2?
It depends and individual eyesights vary, what might be eyeclean to one person may not be to another, see this thread.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-eye-clean-definition-interpretation-and-taste.30483/

Also I am glad I asked above about your location, now I know you are in Virginia you could definitely check out -

www.goodoldgold.com who are in Long Island NY if that is reasonable to travel for you and -

www.jamesallen.com who are in MD.

Both vendors require you to make an appointment I believe if you wish to view their diamonds. The addresses, full names of the vendors and contact details are above as you are new to this to make it easier for you.

Also www.exceldiamonds.com are in NYC and can show you some diamonds.

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 1:17:43 PM

Which part of Virginia? If you are within driving distance of DC or NYC, it might just be possible for you to visit GOG or JA. GOG is in Long Island and they have a store front there, need to make a appointment with them first, JA is in DC I think, not sure if they have a viewing room, but won''t hurt to ask.

Very Good Advice. If I were in Virginia, I would make the drive to GOG and sit down with Jonathan.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
If I was to compromise one thing ... what should it be?

Color.

You''re welcome.
17.gif

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
We''re in Richmond so a trip to D.C. is most doable! I''ll check out the links you all provided. NYC probably isn''t an option at this point but who knows.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I''d compromise on carat. The human eye can''t really tell apart differences in fractions of a milimeter.
10.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''d compromise on color. I have an H (borderline I) that is white as snow. I''ve since learned that I actually LIKE some warmth in diamonds, but I can''t see any at all in my ideal cut H.

I was also considering peerless diamonds at Jared before I bought my stone. Then I consdered Leos, but I do still have to say I was able to go significantly bigger online for the same price. If you pick a branded H&A cut, you really have no worries on what it will look like, especially if there is a return policy. My boyfriend was against buying online at first too but now we''d have it no other way.

I know you said it wasn''t an option, I''m just thinking if you did find something at an online price, you may not have to sacrifice anything.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 2:12:50 PM
Author: DiamondFlame
I''d compromise on carat. The human eye can''t really tell apart differences in fractions of a milimeter.
10.gif
That too. People get much too hung up about size.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I would compromise on the color or clarity first. A well cut stone will look very icy white, even in the "warmer" color stones... And as long as the stone is eye clean- Who cares what the clarity is? I would focus on getting a best cut you can find!

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I wish he''d consider online as well, but since I''m not the one buying it, I guess I can''t make an issue of it. I know we''d get a better value.

As for the color, many of you are right that once it''s set I won''t be able to tell the difference anyway. The real jump in price in due to the carat size though (IF we go with a peerless, as all 1 carat peerless are $7200 regardless of other factors. Weird pricing I know). So maybe the real decision will be to see if they have any ideal or excellent cut stones that aren''t brand name and don''t carry the price jackup.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
In my opinion, I would absolutely not compromise on the size. If you have your heart set on a 1ct size, then get a .75, you will be doing nothing but waiting for your first upgrade and will not be able to just enjoy your ring. DSS is not a myth! I would change something more subtle, like go to an H, I had an E and am perfectly happy with my H. Going with Ideal or excellent cut is a great option too. But again, size is what you will notice the most if you go smaller than intended (I also would keep the cut in the higher ranges too, but you could slightly step down from a name brand). I still drool over the "Hearts on Fire" stones in the stores, so I understand the appeal of a branded stone, but my current stone is every bit as beautiful to me and it is a GIA Excellent cut, not top of the line but close enough for me. 1 carat stones are beautiful, especially if you are putting so much money into the cut. You can see all the razzle dazzle better the bigger you go. Good luck, if you get the Peerless, I can''t wait to see pictures. I have never seen one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results