shape
carat
color
clarity

Identifying painting and digging

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Torry

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am new here and wondering if you can help me with something. I''m in the market for an "ideal cut" diamond and have been doing lots of research on various sites.

One thing I am not so certain on is painting and digging. Does the ASET image always give a clear indication as whether a stone has a painted or dug out girdle?

I feel pretty confident identifying a dug out girdle, but am not so sure about painted. Will it always have the green eight-pointed star pattern as shown below? If the pictures differ, can anyone else post an image of a painted girdle?

Many thanks in advance,
Torry

BR118KVS2PAINTED.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 3:32:36 PM
Author:Torry
Hi all, I am new here and wondering if you can help me with something. I'm in the market for an 'ideal cut' diamond and have been doing lots of research on various sites.

One thing I am not so certain on is painting and digging. Does the ASET image always give a clear indication as whether a stone has a painted or dug out girdle?

I feel pretty confident identifying a dug out girdle, but am not so sure about painted. Will it always have the green eight-pointed star pattern as shown below? If the pictures differ, can anyone else post an image of a painted girdle?

Many thanks in advance,
Torry

imgnotfound.jpg
I think this article will help you if you haven't already seen it. You will be able to tell with images and the link I posted has many examples of painting and its effects which should help you.

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/45/1/Visible-Effects-of-Painting--Digging-on-Superideal-Diamonds.aspx

GIA will note where brillianteering has been performed on a diamond in some cases, and depending on what you are looking for I wouldn't worry too much that any girdle treatment will have any negative effect if you are working with one of the PS vendors and wanting to buy one of their top make diamonds.

ETA - Karl posted the images in the link!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Generally 1 or 2 degrees crown only painting is of no consequence depending on the angle combination.
The combo used in the article is one that is able to tolerate painting well some combos do not tolerate it.
Every diamond will have a little on at least some facets.

pic From the article...
image006.gif

Torry

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much guys!

Is this one ok to your trained eyes?

asetscope8001229524122MxqUvMCVOgstFwiZQ12W.jpg

Torry

Rough_Rock
Hmm.. are my pictures not showing up?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 3:44:47 PM
Author: Torry
Hmm.. are my pictures not showing up?
Try renaming the file and don't use any unusual characters, if that doesn't work then email to admin and they can post it for you. Check they don't need resizing also.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
make sure it is under 100k and rename it to torryAset.jpg before uploading.

Torry

Rough_Rock
yes, i did copy paste first which obviously didn''t work.

just tried attaching, but I need to optimise size - have to dash out now, but will play around later and post it. thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results