shape
carat
color
clarity

Identification of item needed

Steven Grim

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
I am here today to ask for any help identifying this piece of jewelry founded in Wisconsin while metal detecting.
I have no knowledge of jewelry and have no way of knowing material or age or even the purpose of the item.
Thank you everyone and hoping someone can help. IMG_20170401_161309_hdr.jpg IMG_20170401_161604_hdr.jpg IMG_20170401_161322_hdr.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Itaglio." That's just a starting point, but it's a term that might be used to describe the center stone. (Be sure to include "jewelry" in your searches or you'll end up learning a lot about engraving techniques.). I have no idea what to make of that mishmash on the back, except that maybe this was made as a slide, to be used with a heavy chain? A trusted jeweler or pawnshop should help clear up what materials this is made of, and whether it's worth your while to dig further into its origins.

Good luck!

Steven Grim

Rough_Rock
"Itaglio." That's just a starting point, but it's a term that might be used to describe the center stone. (Be sure to include "jewelry" in your searches or you'll end up learning a lot about engraving techniques.). I have no idea what to make of that mishmash on the back, except that maybe this was made as a slide, to be used with a heavy chain? A trusted jeweler or pawnshop should help clear up what materials this is made of, and whether it's worth your while to dig further into its origins.

Good luck!

Steven Grim

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply, the back is bend over backward on the top and bottom . It does appears to be a slide of some type.
Steven

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi-I replied to Steven in "Jewelry Pieces". I am glad I checked his profile and saw that he also posted here. I had no clue about the stone or the metal, but I asked if that could be Queen Elizabeth II pictured on the ring (or whatever it is).

AGBF

Steven Grim

Rough_Rock
This appears to be stone or even glass ? I believe it's earlier than QE II maybe Queen Victoria, I have enclosed close ups, the back of the item where the top part is bend backward and has the two ball items connect to it. IMG_20170401_161309_hdr_kindlephoto-194792.jpg IMG_20170401_161322_hdr_kindlephoto-153100.jpg IMG_20170401_161322_hdr_kindlephoto-153100.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This appears to be stone or even glass ? I believe it's earlier than QE II maybe Queen Victoria, I have enclosed close ups, the back of the item where the top part is bend backward and has the two ball items connect to it.

Thank you for the close ups, Steven. In the close ups, the woman pictured does not look very much the way that Queen Elizabeth usually does when she is pictured on stamps.

As to the two balls: I haven't a clue as to their function. I wish that a former poster, fire&ice, were still here. She was invaluable in solving jewelry mysteries. I am attaching a link to an old thread about a Georg Jensen piece of my mother's which she gave me several years ago. I had thought a piece had broken off it, but fire&ice explained what was really going on! if you are interested, here is the link!

Link to Georg Jensen Thread...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/georg-jensen-jewelry.25634/page-3

Deb/AGBF

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Steven Grim

Rough_Rock
Thank you again, a mystery that may never be solved.

yaodadier

Rough_Rock
Nice findings!
my thoughts on metal detecting
There is some possibilities that when you left your ring in somewhere you don’t know.
and ...
If you are wondering there is some metal stuff in your clothes,you can use it and have a check.
domestic uses with a best handheld metal detector with small size

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spent most of my childhood around antiques and this is making me think it is a decorative part of a rifle sling. You might reach out to reenactors as they often know about esoteric military-related items. I could be way off...but that was my first thought.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a slide is a good bet. My first thought was that it was a decorative element for a rifle sling. If there are reenactors around, they are a good source of information for esoteric military items. Also, I don't think it was jewelry. Rather, it looks more sturdy like that used in ornamentation...maybe it is a part of a larger decorative item.

I'm not sure the person is a british royal. This has grape leaves, a headpiece and flowing curly hair. All that steers away from classic royalty to me. It looks like many of the Victoria era cameos in imagery so may not be a particular person rather an idealized 'maiden'. Not any answers, but maybe a few leads...

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
The presence of grapes and vine leaves on a Roman figure would suggest that it is a representation of the god Bacchus.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but is the head engraved *into* the stone, rather than standing proud from it? If it's engraved/carved in, then perhaps it may be a seal, for pressing into sealing wax.

Landen

Rough_Rock
I think, this item looks like antique Victorian whitby jet jewellery

Deepak Singh

Rough_Rock
Trade
The items shown are having mysteries of Victorian period.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results