shape
carat
color
clarity

ideas for my spess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, summer is finally over and all the trials and tribulations, hopefully, with it. back to my 8.18 spessartite project!

i know many of you have more experience and/or sources so i''m putting out a ''last call'' for any ideas as to how to set my oval beauty. some of you will recall this is to be my ''engagement'' ring and the goal is to have it done by december 30 which is our 2nd anniversary......

original idea was to have it set in a george sawyer mokume gane piece. but i''m now thinking that i may just go with richard wise [who sold me the spess]. i''m trying to piece together ideas to send to him once i send him the spess.

i''m also interested in knowing which metal you think would be good....i''m inclined to 18k gold at this point but am no opposed to having the mount be in a ''cool'' metal.

any and all ideas will be appreciated....but may not be acted upon!

peace, movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, goody! A new ring project!

Can you give us any hints as to what you''re thinking about? Accent diamonds? Modern? Vintage? Solitaire? Sidestones? Halo?

widget

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
id mount it in a split shank ring with just a hint of pave with the stone accross the finger if the size allows it..
What is the MM demensions again?
What is your ring size?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
8.18''s dimensions: 11.6x10.2mm and 8mm deep.

i''m not sure of my ring size....perhaps a 6+?

also, i seem to like many styles but i think i lean towards modern. however, i''m open to other styles as well.

i already wear rings on my other fingers that are larger than this stone...in the 2mm or more range both in length and width [and as deep as the spess, also]. they are not ''fine'' jewelry but one of a kind pieces. not sure how many if any of these i will wear on my left hand once i''m wearing the spess.......

i plan to continue to wear my little 2mm 18k wedding band with it.

and i also toyed with doing it entirely in a ''cool'' metal as i like the contrast between warm/cold tones.

i wasn''t planning to add gems to go with it but like i said, i''m open to suggestions.

any pictures, strmrdr? i''m not sure whether i want east/west or north west orientation and i think having it set angled across my finger is also an option. i do like the split shank look!

oh, and i''m looking for something that''s going to help protect the spess. i plan to wear the ring pretty much all the time, except perhaps while doing house work, gardening, etc. definitely everytime i leave the house though. at 7.25 on the Mohs scale, i think the stone needs to have some protection.... and i''m not sure about the durability of pave......
i''m not willing to rule anything out at this point!

peace, movie zombie

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
How about something like this, maybe with some yellow sapphires in place of the diamonds?

Tanzanite-Fleur-Ring-12.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kismet, is that white gold? an interesting idea....i''d almost add some more spess as the side stones....yes, i''m orange crazy!

peace, movie zombie

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
According to the description, it''s platinum and 18k yellow gold.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve followed the threads on other forums here at pricescope and it seems that each metal has its pluses and minuses. i think the platinum looks stunning in this ring, kismet. anyone have any experience with a platinum band of what looks to be rather wide?

peace, movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here are two of my favorite simple protective mountings.

What''s cool about spessertite is that it''s so bright and sparkly that one doesn''t really need diamonds to bling it up...

widget

Un876.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
YEAH YEAH YEAH MZ!!! I cannot wait!! YEAH YEAH YEAH!! Well... I like the ''cool'' white gold color with the yummy orange.. I think that it brings a nice contrast. I know that some like the idea of the yellow gold... but there is just something modern and ''cool'' (as in the temp) about the white gold. Mine are 18K and I love them. Have you considered something like the Leon Mage stuff? I like the EW thing.. But I think that the oval would look really nice NS... it elongated your fingers and make things look more delicate. Are you going to raise up the head so that your W-band is flush?

I am excited for you MZ!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks, Mine. i still may decide to go with the cooler metal color. would you do white gold or platinum?

and, Widget, i totally agree: this spess stands on its own! but i''m still open to ideas.

because of its depth, its going to have to ride high on my finger. that''s ok as i''m used to rings that that high...just not on that finger!

i was originally going to do a complete or cone bezel to protect whatever stone i got but now that i''ve gotten to play with this spess [since april!], i''d like to keep the pavilion open yet protect the girdle. at one point i took foil and wrapped it around the pavilion and it did not look bad....of course, i''m prejudiced!

keep the ideas coming, please!

peace, movie zombie

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/27/2005 7:17:37 PM
Author: movie zombie
i was originally going to do a complete or cone bezel to protect whatever stone i got but now that i''ve gotten to play with this spess [since april!], i''d like to keep the pavilion open yet protect the girdle. at one point i took foil and wrapped it around the pavilion and it did not look bad....of course, i''m prejudiced!

I''m all for keeping the pavilion open too, in fact that''s what I decided to do for the ring that I''m having made for my orange-y red zircon.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kismet, got a picture to share of your ring in the making? or is there a thread you can direct me to that might have such a picture?

peace, movie zombie

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
All I have right now are renderings, but here ya go

41290160_906be917fa.jpg

41290159_80b323d669.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Kismet!!!

That ring going to be stunning!!!!!!!!
23.gif
30.gif

widget

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
kismet, that is simply awesome!

and its giving me some ideas but without the side stones......

peace, movie zombie

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh kismet, wow oh wow, that will be truly amazing!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i can''t copy and/or attach the picture but if interested, check out this orange stone with stainless steel:

http://www.stuartmoore.com/

then go to ''designer.colletions'', then to ''jewelry by snapshot'', then move your mouse to your left to roland humphrey. looks like a spess with brushed stainless steel.

peace, movie zombie

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''m not generally a fan of yellow gold, but I think for this ring that would be the way to go, especially after seeing Kismet''s lovely rendering.

Just curious, why did you decide against mokume gane? I think that would be absolutely stunning.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a selection of some innovative designs from agta.org -- they're all spectrum award winners.

problems posting pics. will try again.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ-

I saw a fantastic ring on the Gold Impressions page or something like it today. It looked like a crown roast of lamb. I will look for it. I am not sure it would work on your ring, but I like the bands of jewels across a big stone like yours. We once had another thread about those rings.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2005 8:20:13 PM
Author: AGBF
I saw a fantastic ring on the Gold Impressions page or something like it today. It looked like a crown roast of lamb. I will look for it. I am not sure it would work on your ring, but I like the bands of jewels across a big stone like yours. We once had another thread about those rings.

This was the thread I was thinking of. Do you like this look or are you looking for something with cleaner lines? Something more angular?

Old Thread

Deb

widget

Ideal_Rock
How about something a little primitive?

(borrowed from AGBF''s yellow gold thread...)

Left: Caroline Tyler, right: Gurhan:

gurhantyler.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2005 8:45:40 PM
Author: widget
How about something a little primitive?

Gurhan refused to set my diamond in the setting he used for that spessartite. You could have it, though, MZ. And I do know you love Gurhan!!!

Deb

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I know this will not be much help but I think with a beautiful stone like that it will be hard to go wrong. I agree with you about a setting that shows the pavillion. The more of the stone seen the better. Just my 2 cents. Regards Doug

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/27/2005 9:46:48 PM
i can''t copy and/or attach the picture but if interested, check out this orange stone with stainless steel....

I don''t like it, MZ. I am not sure why. It looks industrial to me. I would prefer to see your spessartitie in yellow gold, especially in a warmer, more intimate setting (like a hand hammered Gurhan band). To me the Gurhan setting is the absolute antithesis of this setting.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alfieri & St. John (who did the crown of lamb ring) has some nice settings of orange stones that are most definitely modern. Go to their website, go to, "The Jewelry" then go to, "The Collections" and then pick "arcobaleno".

Alfieri & St. John

Deb

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
matata, agta.org has some gorgeous things!

see the paul derrickson 3.93 spess setting: http://agta.org/consumer/spectrum/2003winners.htm

see the cornelius hollander spess : http://agta.org/consumer/spectrum/2002winners.htm
also at the same site see the robert ackermann tvasorite and the mark schneider tanzanite.

now this is lovely! the zoltan david 10.85 rubelite tourmaline [i think i''m in love]!: http://agta.org/consumer/spectrum/2004winners.htm
also at the same site: the john t. haynes tourmaline

and the robert pelliccia w/o all the diamonds: http://agta.org/consumer/spectrum/2005winners.htm

any opinions?

peace, movie zombie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/28/2005 11:06:37 PM

at the alfieri & st. john website, i like the hula hoop collection, ring to the far right with the blue stone: http://www.alfieristjohn.com/index2.html

I do not dislike that one. It is not my taste, but it is unique and feminine and pretty. I infinitely prefer it to the steel, industrial look...especially if you use small diamonds as were used in the setting pictured on the website! No one lese would have a ring remotely like yours!!!

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results