shape
carat
color
clarity

ideas for 1/2 a Victorian/Georgian toi et moi?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I recently was fortunate to receive, totally out of the blue, a very nice antique diamond. Here's the thread: http://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytalky/mystery-diamond-on-its-way-to-me-t201912-30.html

I haven't had it professionally evaluated yet, but it looks like a 5-6mm OMC, nice cut, eye clean, good color (maybe Hish?)... I love it! Lots of chunky sparkles.

I think I'd to put in a Victorian/Georgian style toi et moi ring. Here some some styles I was thinking of:
img_1857.jpg
_8743.jpg
sparkledaze.jpg

So, now I need something really cool for the moi (or toi)! I am totally open to anything hardy (corundum, spinel, or chryso/alex, including cabs, stars, etc). Open to all shapes and roughly similar sizes (doesn't have to be a perfect match). It will definitely go in rg or yg. I don't want to spend much... under $500? I am ok to wait... But happy to pounce on the right thing. I just wanted you guys to start keeping your eyes out for me! ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To keep with the same feel, I would go for something with large facets or chunky cut in a round shape as well. Alexandrite will blow your budget but sapphire, spinel and chrysoberyl are all good options. I would also go for a colour that is strong to create that contrast of light and dark (not necessarily really dark).

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I know those are the options and that I probably won't be getting an Alex... There just isn't anything right now that real my floats my boat. I always see things I want until I'm ready to buy something. Le sigh. The good news about this is that is can be something smaller, in the 5mm range, than what I normally go for.

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
OOOOhhh Such a cool project!!!! Do you have a color preference in mind for the toi?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
that is gorgeous, and a exactly what I'm hoping for in terms of it being excellent color, price, cost, and in-between sized (a little small to be the center stone, a little big to be a side stone). BUT, I just don't know about, for this piece, pink. I almost want to say any color BUT pink. Haha. Sorry, I'm bad. Well, maybe a rich, dark red-pink?

I think my vision might actually be turning toward something on the darker side, but not too dark of course. I was playing with this dark wine spinel I have and thinking that that would be nice if I were a bit smaller (it's 6.75mm) and didn't black out. Maybe darker blue, purple, red? I'd say green, but I don't want anything I'd have to baby.

I wish star rubies were easier to come by. I was looking at starruby.in because of Quaxie's thread and I just wish that vendor were more tested and I knew how to read the photos better. Dana had a little red-pink star a while back that I agonized over but ultimately didn't buy because I didn't know what I'd do with it because, in fact, of it's in-between size. I wish I'd snapped it up!

In general, I think a glowy cab with a really nice color could be a nice match to the blingy diamond.

But I am being patient/zen (see Chrono's FCD thread) about this project. No real rush. I just want you all to keep me in mind as you window shop! :) I am VERY open to suggestions!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the first one!
I would get a large chunky color stone for the big ones and then smaller lighter color stones of the same material for the smaller stones....darker big chunky stones with smaller lighter stones garnets would work.....

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I was circling around that raspberry spinel yesterday. Bought something of a similar color that turned out to be an old synthetic ruby rather than a spinel and want to make it up to myself. (Luckily it wasn't a big price.) Do let us know if you decide on it so that I (or someone like me) doesn't grab it out from under you.

quaxie

Rough_Rock
Pretty!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I posted a couple of days ago, but I don't see it. Weird! Anyway, I went and saw my other jeweler, and he said he could fix my current setting for a lot less than my main jeweler quoted me. So, I think for now, I'm going to wear it as is, get to know the diamond a bit more.

So, boerumbiddy, if you want to go for that spinel, please don't let me stop you! I want to see more pictures from someone! :)

RTF, those are some gorgeous rings. My heart is aflutter. And I had seen that ruby and agree that it does look very promising.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results