shape
carat
color
clarity

Idealscope / Aset / H&A: What do you guys think?

ch382

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Long-time lurker. I love this community and how much I've learnt over the last 6 months.
I've narrowed my selection down to a nice diamond which looks really good on paper.
I've just received a PDF of images related to Aset, Firescope and H&A and I would love all your amazing opinions before I make the biggest purchase of my life! :) :angel: (questions below under diamond specs and aset images)

Diamond Specs (HCA Score: 1.3)
=============
Carat 2.35
Shape Round
Cut Ideal
Colour I
Clarity VVS2
L/W ratio 1.00
Depth % 61.9%
Table % 56.0%
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements 8.52 x 8.49 x 5.26 mm

ASET/Ideal/H&A Imagery: (HCA Score: 1.3)
=============================
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jobwu3zse2kldik/2.35%20I%20VVS2.pdf?dl=0

What I'd love your input on:

1) My biggest concern is brilliance therefore cut, followed by size- my significant other wants a big rock! (don't they all!) :)
What do you guys think of I? I've seen a couple and they seem to be obviously not as amazing as D or even a G, but they haven't been very "yellow".. Do you guys think I can get away with an I colour 2.35? My budget is 20K USD.

2) How does it look from the PDF of imagery provided? I understand most things like H&A, but I've never read an firescope/ASET from the bottom up, and it looks scary to me.. Would love your expert/professional opinions!

Thanks guys (and gals) I REALLY REALLY appreciate all your input.

Cheers
Charlie.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, Charlie!

I am kind of puzzled by those images as they look more computer generated than actual photos to me. They look fine, though. Does the stone have a webpage with a photo of the actual stone?

I color can be nice in a round brilliant as long as the person isn't color sensitive. I have an I color diamond and most of the time it looks pretty white. I mainly see color when environmental color causes it to look more tinted than it is. It is a great choice, though, in order to get a larger diamond.

ch382

Rough_Rock
Hi Diamondseeker, thank you for your feedback and kind welcome :)

You can find a pic of the actual stone here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv7x07rl1fem1l7/2.35%20I%20VVS2%20pic.jpg?dl=0

Thoughts? are those yellow/brown tingy flashes from the I colour of the actual stone or the soroundings? I've also seen those on "whiter" diamonds :)

Do you have any reason to believe they could be doctored/done in Photoshop?

Does the bottom view of the Aset look okay? Is it meant to be so blue? Also, most Asets i've seen are red/dark read, whereas this is a pink... Is this a problem?

Thanks again! Any one else have an opinion? :)

ch382

Rough_Rock
No one? :(

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
could you post crown angle and pavilion angle?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is this a lab graded diamond? If so, can you post the cert?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ch382|1449100608|3956621 said:

Thoughts? are those yellow/brown tingy flashes from the I colour of the actual stone or the soroundings? I've also seen those on "whiter" diamonds :)
An I colored stone should face up fairly white. Usually you only see the color when looking at the pavilion or when comparing
it to higher colored stones side by side. The picture looks fine to me. Have you seen any I colored stones in person?

No, but I dont know who this vendor is. I hope you are working with a trustworthy vendor.

Does the bottom view of the Aset look okay? Is it meant to be so blue? Also, most Asets i've seen are red/dark read, whereas this is a pink... Is this a problem?
This is actually the first time I have seen an Aset taken from the pavilion. I'm not sure how to evaluate it or if it's even worth
evaluating. I'm not sure what it would tell us. There is no PS vendor that I know of that provides the bottom view.

Looks like it should be a beautiful stone. I do wonder about these images because they do look computer generated which
means they are not picking up the true details of the stone. I would ask the vendor about the pictures and how they were
produced.

ch382

Rough_Rock
HI tyty, thanks so much for your concern.

The diamond is through BlueNile. I was wondering the same thing- hoping it's some new technology capable of generating such images.. or if they just opened the image up in Illustrator to make a vector out of it... mmmm.. :confused:

tyty333|1449242748|3957407 said:
ch382|1449100608|3956621 said:

An I colored stone should face up fairly white. Usually you only see the color when looking at the pavilion or when comparing
it to higher colored stones side by side. The picture looks fine to me. Have you seen any I colored stones in person?

No, but I dont know who this vendor is. I hope you are working with a trustworthy vendor.

This is actually the first time I have seen an Aset taken from the pavilion. I'm not sure how to evaluate it or if it's even worth
evaluating. I'm not sure what it would tell us. There is no PS vendor that I know of that provides the bottom view.

Looks like it should be a beautiful stone. I do wonder about these images because they do look computer generated which
means they are not picking up the true details of the stone. I would ask the vendor about the pictures and how they were
produced.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nothing necessarily wrong with computer generated images if they are in fact from the stone in question, which they appear to be. The crown and pavilion angles are complimentary. The star facets are short, which is probably why the pavilion side ASET is so contrasty and why the hearts are merging into the arrow heads on the hearts image.

If you look at AGS dual light map reports of a true hearts and arrows stone you will see that pattern of hearts in blue as opposed to the blotch of blue in this stone.

ch382

Rough_Rock
Hi Texas,

Thanks for your comment..

Is the hearts merging into the arrow head nec. a bad thing?

How should I read into the blotch? Should that give me a reason to cull it? :/

Based on your experience, in an I coloured diamond, can brilliance/cut quality help make it appear brighter (lighter?) in terms of colour?

Im just struggling to find anything better for under 30k AUD ($22k USD) with decent colour, amazing cut and > 2.2c..

Cheers!

Texas Leaguer|1449243295|3957411 said:
Nothing necessarily wrong with computer generated images if they are in fact from the stone in question, which they appear to be. The crown and pavilion angles are complimentary. The star facets are short, which is probably why the pavilion side ASET is so contrasty and why the hearts are merging into the arrow heads on the hearts image.

If you look at AGS dual light map reports of a true hearts and arrows stone you will see that pattern of hearts in blue as opposed to the blotch of blue in this stone.

ch382

Rough_Rock
Hiya :)

Not sure if I'm missing something but while the actual diamond photo looks better on this white flash one, it has a HCA Score of 2.4 compared to 1.3 for the one I've found? And it's also got more inclusions, yet more expensive? Why do u think?

telephone89|1449246178|3957442 said:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3500063.htm 2.31 ct I VS2 $21,292

Compare it with this one

eta - yes, a well cut diamond will face up whiter than a poorly cut diamond.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
There are a lot of things that may influence diamond prices.

Relevant to this thread are :

1. Cut precision.
2. Inventory type : In stock or virtual inventory
3. Buy back and trade up guarantee.

@Bryan: Interesting point about the shorter star %. But I would guess that phenomenon would also come with a bit of clustering in arrows image which this stone does not appear to have? Or is it the other way round?

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
Re: Idealscope / Aset / H&A: What do you guys think?

ch382 said:
Hi Texas,

Thanks for your comment..

Is the hearts merging into the arrow head nec. a bad thing?

How should I read into the blotch? Should that give me a reason to cull it? :/

Based on your experience, in an I coloured diamond, can brilliance/cut quality help make it appear brighter (lighter?) in terms of colour?

Im just struggling to find anything better for under 30k AUD ($22k USD) with decent colour, amazing cut and > 2.2c..

Cheers!

Texas Leaguer|1449243295|3957411 said:

Its not necessarily a bad thing or a bad thing at all, depends on your appetite for perfection or the lack of it. It only means that Lower Girdle Facets on the diamond are not all precisely the same or within the range of precision. And will be impossible to tell under a loupe without an actual hearts scope and will not have any significant performance issues with the diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results