shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal Scope question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is the Ideal Scope only used in the US? The reason I asked is because I was at a wedding show today and there was a jeweller there and we got talking about the diamond I want to buy. He was obviously trying to get me to buy from him and he assumed I knew nothing about diamonds.
I don''t know loads but I feel I know enough to hold my own in a general diamond conversation.

He hadn''t heard of the Ideal Scope or hearts and arrows. He did say though that he has a laser and I could look at diamonds through that if I wanted to. Not sure what he meant there.

Also he said he could get some diamonds in for me to look at but they would be in plastic bags and I would not be allowed to open them and look properly because if I did I would have to buy it! My other half Gary said quietly '' I think that company in America (meaning WF) is your best bet for a diamond - this jeweller gives me a bad feeling''!!

I suppose talking to that jeweller was the best thing I could have done as now the little doubts my hubby had about buying from the internet have been put to rest!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah thankyou. I wonder why he had no idea what I was talking about - unless we are late in catching on here in the UK lol ....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is nothing like a little snake oil from the locals to make the online vendors look good.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 12:22:33 PM
Author:Maisiebelle
Is the Ideal Scope only used in the US? The reason I asked is because I was at a wedding show today and there was a jeweller there and we got talking about the diamond I want to buy. He was obviously trying to get me to buy from him and he assumed I knew nothing about diamonds.
I don''t know loads but I feel I know enough to hold my own in a general diamond conversation.

He hadn''t heard of the Ideal Scope or hearts and arrows. He did say though that he has a laser and I could look at diamonds through that if I wanted to. Not sure what he meant there.

Also he said he could get some diamonds in for me to look at but they would be in plastic bags and I would not be allowed to open them and look properly because if I did I would have to buy it! My other half Gary said quietly '' I think that company in America (meaning WF) is your best bet for a diamond - this jeweller gives me a bad feeling''!!

I suppose talking to that jeweller was the best thing I could have done as now the little doubts my hubby had about buying from the internet have been put to rest!
9.gif
You MUST be kidding Maisie, please don''t try this at home...especially thru plastic bags...
32.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I won''t try anything at home don''t worry. I was really confused at what he said and I won''t be going anywhere near him or his plastic bags!
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 2:08:19 PM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 1/28/2007 12:22:33 PM
Author:Maisiebelle

9.gif
You MUST be kidding Maisie, please don''t try this at home...especially thru plastic bags...
32.gif
What on earth, what a weird jeweler...laser, plastic bags...
25.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know - its not really quite right is it? lol....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 3:22:46 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
I know - its not really quite right is it? lol....
It goes WAY past not being quite right.
38.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well yes I agree. I didn''t actually make the connection between the plastic bag and the laser to be honest. Just shows how vague I am. Thats worrying.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2007 1:09:18 PM
Author: Maisiebelle
Ah thankyou. I wonder why he had no idea what I was talking about - unless we are late in catching on here in the UK lol ....
Because 90% of the jewelers in this country, let alone yours, have NO IDEA about what is available in their trade other than rocks and rings.

It is a sad comment that many in my industry either have little or no formal gemological training and the vast majority of those who get their GG (graduate gemologist) degree never bother to follow up with continuing education.

Then you have those who do follow up and spend many hours each year getting the latest scoop and also follow that up with their dollars and their time to actually attend continuing education courses. These are the vendors you want to search for, whether locally or on the net. You can usually find such people in AGS stores, but there are many non AGS stores that also have well educated people in them.

Any time someone tells you that you must look at a stone in a plastic bag, you do not need to walk away, you need to run screaming the other way as these people are not really in the trade. They may have the store, they may have the name, but if they can not bring in a diamond on memo for you to look at, then they are on the fringes, on the outside fringes at that, not on the inside, and certainly NOT worthy of your time or trust.

The sad thing, in my opinion, is that if I were uneducated and did not know that the G-VS1 uncerted stone that my supplier sent me was really an H or I SI stone, I would make a LOT more money with each sale and would just happily stumble into the sunset a much higher paid man. It seems strange to me that the best educated and prepared diamond vendors make the least money as we educate our buyers to understand quality whether they buy from us or one of our competitors. The margins for the top quality stones are tiny compared to the margins for the "poop" cuts because no one understands the discounts that go with "poop" cutting.

The reward of course is that we enjoy what we do and we sleep well at nights. We also have the respect of our peers, our clients, and most importantly, ourselves.

Wink, waxing philosophical after church... May your Sunday be peaceful and your life rich with joy and wonder.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 5:54:42 PM
Author: Wink

The reward of course is that we enjoy what we do and we sleep well at nights. We also have the respect of our peers, our clients, and most importantly, ourselves.
And that actually makes you a far wealthier person.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 6:20:33 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/28/2007 5:54:42 PM
Author: Wink

And that actually makes you a far wealthier person.
2.gif
I absolutely agree!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results