shape
carat
color
clarity

ID Pawn shop find--transitional diamond?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What do I have here? It looks more chaotic than my OECs I have, but it's small (est .35 carat). Nice and sparkly IRL, G/H color, I'm guessing--not much warmer than my F e-ring. Fingermate shank! I can't get any decent pics on this cloudy day! Kind of an impulse buy, but it wasn't much and it makes me smile. :) better pics to come! I think the chaos/internal wonkiness I see must be inclusions, but my eye is not trained. It was in the MRB section of the shop, and I had to sort of talk them into the fact that it wasn't a MRB. It was filthy dirty and I had them steam it. Culet is easily discernible with my loupe. Sort of checkerboardy in certain light and movement.

_15607.jpg

_15608.jpg

_15609.jpg

_15610.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
More...

_15611.jpg

_15612.jpg

_15613.jpg

_15614.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I should clarify the "chaos" I see. It seems a little less "blocky" than my other OECs, but it is definitely not splintery. That's why I was thinking it's potentially a later OEC/transitional? Some of the pics show breaks in the faceting pattern, so I am thinking they are inclusions in the close-ups, but it appears eye-clean to me at 8 inches or so. Rainbow checkerboard, which is SO cool! I don't see that sort of patterning in my OECs I have (in my avatar). I am laughing, looking at my DZ sapph/dia stacker... of COURSE it was twisted completely backward for the pic (added an extra sapph to make it a size 7.5). Goes to show you how mesmerized I am by my new little beauty. :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I an tell a lot from bad photos, but I can't tell anything from those! :rodent:

Given the style of the setting Id guess the ring is from the 1940s which would make the diamond an early modern brilliant most likely.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1394307282|3630115 said:
I an tell a lot from bad photos, but I can't tell anything from those! :rodent:

Given the style of the setting Id guess the ring is from the 1940s which would make the diamond an early modern brilliant most likely.

Hah! Still a mystery! I will try for better photos later today in better lighting.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sun is shining today! These were taken near a window in its indirect light...

_15646.jpg

_15647.jpg

_15648.jpg

_15649.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fire!

_15650.jpg

_15651.jpg

_15652.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ericad|1394312219|3630136 said:
I'm getting an early RB vibe, but tough to tell from the pics. Very pretty ring!

I like the red/green fire shots, since they show a bit about the color flashes my eyes see. I'm surprised at how much I like the setting... the fingermate contraption has got to go, though! But I think it's cool as a piece of history (probably added in the sixties when it came out?). The ring is perfectly my size (7.5 ish) when snapped shut. I took it as a sign. ;-) There is an antique show in town this weekend, so I think I will pop over there to see what some of the vendors think. I am also taking it to my local jeweler to get properly shined up and inspected for security this week, so I will get some good info from him.

Now, if only it would grow from 1/3 of a carat to three carats, I can more easily inspect the faceting! :Up_to_something:

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Antique dealer was no real help... he was too busy with customers for me to really have a conversation with him or for him to look at my ring closely. Off to the jeweler this morning!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Far from expert, but I would call a transitional. I see a small culet on the bottom. The faceting is blocky, not splintery like modern rb.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results