shape
carat
color
clarity

I1 or I2 - could they work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
I am still playing with some of the parameters for getting value out of diamonds. Anyone out there manage to get away with a stone in the ''Included'' - I1 or I2 range?

My present stone is an SI2 and I can''t see anything in it. The only I1 stones that I have seen looked horrible - kinda cloudy. But they were in a low-end B&M store and were probably a dreadful cut. It was enough to put me off - especially when I was planning to buy online. I felt the need for some type of security level!

From what I have seen, it looks like Wink is the only online vendor that stocks I1 stones. I bet his are pretty nice - and ofcourse they look like great value.

Any thoughts?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GOG

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure I''d say they are any better value than any other clarity.
You get what you pay for.

You pick what you value.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
thanks JulieN,

I have just checked out GOG''s site and looked at some of the I1 stones. At least there are some nice big pictures. Unfortunately, i think that they scared me away again. The included stones look like it will be obvious from a mile away!

Oh well. I wouldn''t rule them out completely but I would want to feel pretty confident in how included it might look. Either that or wait a bit longer for my vision to fail!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They can definitely work, depends on the type, colour, location etc of the inclusions etc, but you need a great cut as always. Also you need a vendor who might be able to source a great I1 or lucky I2 - but eyeclean I2's are rare. I have 2 I1's, both of which are large diamonds and they are very clean to the eye, you need to know where to look to see the inclusions. It can take some luck and hunting to source these diamonds, but it isn't impossible.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people love their I1''s, but I''m not so sure about I2''s. I''ve seen an I1 with an inclusion near the edge that could be 80% covered by a prong. It would have been a tremendous value for someone. I would call up GOG or JA and have them help you find a good one, it''s definitely possible to find one that is nearly clean.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I-1/I-2 is a big range that includes some very lovely stones as well as some major dogs. This makes them hard to shop. The single grade span from the best VVS1 and the worst VVS2 is what many people would call tiny details. The same span from I1 to I2 is HUGE and includes both some very attractive stones and some stones that have all the brilliance of a sugar cube. Make sure you’re getting good advice and that you actually look at the stone in a variety of lighting conditions before you cement the deal.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

As a person who just bought two I1 stones for earrings (AGS0 H/A + GIA XXX H/A), I can say that I approached the purchase of these stones with the same kind of scrutiny used with any other diamond purchase; or perhaps even more due to the clarity. The stones I bought are excellent performers due to their superb cut(s), and hence the clarity, in this case, was less of an issue for me. Good luck in your search.

cheers--Sharon

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Hey canukgal,

2 I1 stones, eh?

How long did it take you to find them and who was your vendor?
Were you able to see them before you bought them?

diamondglee

Rough_Rock
I bought a gorgeous I-1 from Excel diamonds. Its a GIA excellent cut 2.27 ct, scores a .8 on the HCA (excellents in every category), and its gemex rpt indicates VH. I cannot see anything face up or from the side. It was a phenomenol deal (10k). I looked at several GIA SI2 and EGL SI1 and SI2 diamonds in person and was totally turned off, but intially the cut on this diamond convinced me to ask for more informaion from Excel and I am thrilled I did.

Mind you, I previously had a VS1 1.87 ct diamond that was gorgeous. This one, due in large part to the excellent cut, sparkles more than my previous diamond and I do NOT regret the purchase one bit.

There ARE some gorgeous I-1's out there, but I'm sure they take a lot of work to find.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have an eight star I1 set in a pendant. It''s gorgeous! The inclusions are only visible from the back. You''d never know it was an I1 from the front. It''s quite a sparkler, and it was a great deal because of it''s I1 status.

I1''s can be gorgeous stones if the inclusions are placed right and the stone is cut well. I think you''d just need to work with a reputable vendor and be patient to find the right one. They are out there, they are just hard to find.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2007 9:34:08 AM
Author: fisiogrl
Hey canukgal,

2 I1 stones, eh?

How long did it take you to find them and who was your vendor?
Were you able to see them before you bought them?
HI Fisiogrl:

One stone I purchased from Wink (Winfields) and one I purchased from GOG. I had been eyeing some Cut by Infinity (I1) stones on Wink's site for several months, thinking two of them were a great match and would make fine earrings, but by the time I called one stone had just been sold. Hence I found another slightly larger stone from GOG and they shipped it to Wink for setting.

After much discussion with the vendors about the nature of the I1 rating given by the GIA & AGS labs, and review of the proportions I decided that these stones were excellent candidates for my project. I got to see the stones here, "live", via the new web conferencing mechanism put in place by PS. I had a private session with Wink, and with the camera, I got a great sense of how the stones appeared.

No regrets buying these I1 stones--they are fab. and great finds. I have a thread in the SMTR section about my earrings, and while the pictures do not do my earrings justice, at least you can see what I am talking of. (thread titled "waiting is the hardest part".) Hope this is helpful.

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results