shape
carat
color
clarity

I1 clarity really does bring the price of a diamond down!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently bought an I1 clarity M colour diamond and got a really great price. It is such a beautiful diamond and I don''t even see the inclusions when I look at my diamond.

I was just looking on Winks website and there is a 1.3 E I1 and its $6845

There is also a 1.34 E VS1 for $16,918. Both are Ideal crafted by Infinity diamonds.

I am amazed at the price difference. I know there is a world of difference between VS1 and I1 but if you can barely even see the inclusions its a heck of a saving.

Some people need mind clean diamonds. Some people just don''t want to see a whole heap of inclusions.

What I am wondering is how many people would go out on a limb and try an I1 diamond? Is it just too far out of your comfort zone? Am I really in the minority where included diamonds are concerned? If more vendors sold these diamonds would people feel better about considering them?

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I don't care if it's an I1, I2, I3, or I68457. If it's eyeclean to me, and I can save 10k, yes please!

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Eye-clean SI2s can be a little hard to find, I would imagine that eye-clean I1s are even rarer. Other than the trouble in finding such a diamond, I would have no problem at all with it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 7:04:43 PM
Author: RBsearch
Eye-clean SI2s can be a little hard to find, I would imagine that eye-clean I1s are even rarer. Other than the trouble in finding such a diamond, I would have no problem at all with it.
ditto
You can search lists until your blue in the face and not find one but if a vendor has one in stock I would consider it.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Some I1''s have rather large inclusions around the girdle and are pretty clean in the center. These diamonds can often be set so that a well placed prong can render it flawless to the eye. These nice I1''s are definitely great values.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have only heard of a few people on PS having them. I know when I started out I would never have considered an I1. I don''t know what I thought they would look like, I suppose after seeing so many awful diamonds in B&M stores where I live I didn''t think there could be a beautiful I1.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
I''d buy a mostly eyeclean I1! If the price was right and I saw it in person and thought it was still a stunner, I''d totally go for it.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
By its very definition, an accurately-graded I1 diamond will have inclusions visible to the naked eye, un-set.

That said, I have encountered *many* I1 diamonds whose inclusions were only noticeable from the pavillion, or with inclusions so close to the girdle that they could be covered completely by a prong. Put that diamond in the right setting, and you''re getting an SI1 stone or better for 30% the price at least!!! That''s not even taking quality of cut into account either - a very nicely brilliant cut I1 will have much better light refraction and scintillation than a stone of higher clarity and lesser cut, which can further create the illusion of a cleaner stone to the naked eye.

My original e-ring stone was an I1 - it had a crystal inclusion in the center, but that was only noticeable when looking at the stone from a specific viewing angle. It didn''t bother me one bit. And am I a total size wh*re and would trade off a relatively clean and WELL CUT I1 for a smaller diamond of higher clarity, and a lesser cut? HECK YES!!! LOL.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Certainly for a pendant, earrings, etc. but I would need to be convinced for an ering stone I think.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I have an I1, round. The cut is very good, and the color is F. I can see no inclusions. About twelve years ago, I got a 4.85 carat anniversary band to go with it, VS and F/G color stones. They look perfect together.

My original ring was stolen shortly after we were married, and my husband was still in school at the time. We replaced it with what we could afford. The sentiment has caused me to never consider upgrading it.

This year I had it reset in platinum with tapered baguettes.

The meaning of my ring is what is important to me, but it also happens to be quite lovely, and I get compliments all the time on it. I keep it very clean, and that makes a difference.

Go with what you can afford, and please yourself and your husband-to-be. You cannot go wrong that way.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I''m not convinced that because I can''t see it, no one can. Everyone''s vision is different so what I may not notice, someone else may. (and did in my VS2 clarity stone without louping it.
39.gif
)

That said, there''s nothing wrong with an I1 stone. Like you said Maisie, they''re great values. And if you can hide it under prongs , and there''s no durability issue, I can totally see why people would go for them.
For others, they want to make sure that there''s just no way anything is visible. Not for themselves or anyone else looking at the stone. Mind clean is pretty important to myself and many people.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t hesitate for a minute. In fact, I didn''t! I''m another happy owner of an Infinity I1 from Wink.

I can''t see the inclusions (middle-aged eyes), but they''re pretty little bubbly crystals, and I would actually prefer to be able to see them. I like to look at them with my loupe. It doesn''t bother me one bit if other people can see them--it just makes me a little jealous of their eyesight.

My heirloom OEC is an SI2. It has a largish, rusty-colored comma-shaped inclusion near the girdle. In the current setting it''s hidden under a prong, which is probably a good thing because there''s a chip or natural in that area that could use the protection. But I miss being able to look at the fascinating comma in my diamond. I was very happy recently when I figured out how to find it by tilting the diamond and looking for the comma reflected through the table.

I''m sure I can''t be the only person here who finds inclusions interesting to look at. If you offered me a choice of two diamonds for free, same color & cut, one IF and the other an I1 with an attractive inclusion (and I had to keep them--I wasn''t allowed to sell them and buy a suite of Georgian coral or a perfect star ruby instead), I would pick the I1.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very happy for all beautiful diamonds to find a home, but I like mine to be mind clean and loupe clean! The best value to me, personally is VS1 and VS2, but I''d consider SI1 for other jewelry.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
if the cut us great and it''s eye clean (well I''ll be happy with harldly visible)...yes I would buy one. I don''t need to know that it''s a VS...I love my SI2 stone because of the bargain it was!

gummibear

Shiny_Rock
Hi Maisie and all,

I have no problem with an I1 stone...I have a small I1 RB set into a 1930''s deco ring and can only see one small inclusion up very close in direct sunlight. I still love and cherish the ring and like that it is unique.

But...for my ER I have an Emerald cut and I don''t think I could have ever gone I1 on that because of the step cuts. I have a VS1, but I wasn''t afraid to get an SI if it was eye clean. As long as it''s eye clean I wouldn''t care what it was graded and if I could save some $$$ that would be awesome. Sounds like you got a great deal
21.gif

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 7:44:34 PM
Author: neatfreak
Certainly for a pendant, earrings, etc. but I would need to be convinced for an ering stone I think.
Yep, pendant, earrings, sure, I''d take it. A ring, well, it would have to be a very barely visible inclusion. Otherwise I would probably just find myself looking for it all the time, and that''s no fun.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2009 6:50:10 PM
Author:Maisie
I recently bought an I1 clarity M colour diamond and got a really great price. It is such a beautiful diamond and I don''t even see the inclusions when I look at my diamond.

There is also a 1.34 E VS1 for $16,918. Both are Ideal crafted by Infinity diamonds.

I am amazed at the price difference. I know there is a world of difference between VS1 and I1 but if you can barely even see the inclusions its a heck of a saving.

Some people need mind clean diamonds. Some people just don''t want to see a whole heap of inclusions.

What I am wondering is how many people would go out on a limb and try an I1 diamond? Is it just too far out of your comfort zone? Am I really in the minority where included diamonds are concerned? If more vendors sold these diamonds would people feel better about considering them?
. . . and I just bet that 99% of the people that view the diamond wouldn''t notice the inclusion(s) either, and they would think it''s a just as nice as if it were the E VS1. Most people get into clarity because it''s something that bothers them, no one else. I''m personally happy with an SI diamond. There is no way I would spend the money on a VS or above.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There are also buyers for Included diamonds with obvious yet "attractive" inclusions. Some people can find the inclusion simply a unique feature of their personal diamond. I have seen diamonds with interesting red garnet or ruby crystals within the diamond that looked quite distinguished. Depends on what you want your diamond to look like.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t mind an eye clean I1 at all!!

In fact, I wouldn''t go higher in clarity than SI1. I don''t see the point in paying more for VS or VVS when you could get an eye clean SI and save some money!

I will definitely be buying an I1 diamond some time in the future. Like you said, it''s SUCH a good value for the money! As long as it''s eye clean I''m in!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad to hear that you still love your M I1, Maisie. I was so hoping that you hadn''t changed your mind.

I think that there is something very special about those Crafted by Infinity cuts that makes people forget about looking for color or inclusions. The sparkle is simply breath taking.

If I was trying to max out size on a budget, that is definitely the way to go.

dec2410

Shiny_Rock
as long as its eye-clean, i''m all for it!!! with savings like that, how could i resist!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 10:51:17 PM
Author: Fly Girl
I''m so glad to hear that you still love your M I1, Maisie. I was so hoping that you hadn''t changed your mind.

I think that there is something very special about those Crafted by Infinity cuts that makes people forget about looking for color or inclusions. The sparkle is simply breath taking.

If I was trying to max out size on a budget, that is definitely the way to go.
I am definitely not changing my mind about this diamond! I have a 1.5ct diamond that cost the same as my 1ct J colour diamond! I am a very happy PS''er!
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
If it were eyeclean or prongable I would defintly consider it especially for earings or a pendant - just for me personally buying from OS it would be hard (PITA) to do a return if it didn''t work out.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 6:50:10 PM
Author:Maisie

My stone was classified by the jeweler as SI2/3 (so SI2/I1). When the stone is clean I can''t see any inclusions. When it''s dirty, I can see the feather. So I keep my ring veerrry clean

I think like everything else with diamonds, it''s subjective. If you find a nice I1 stone and are OK with the inclusions then there''s no reason not to buy the stone. I would only do this if I were buying it in person though and I could see the stone first hand before buying it. I think online would be too risky.
9.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I was (and may still be) considering an EGL K SI2 for a pendant, which is probably about the same thing as a GIA/AGS I1. Unfortunately, I was told "it''s not eye-clean but the pinpoint black inclusions aren''t that noticeable". Chances are, if the diamond was from Wink or GOG and I saw them on a video, I could probably decide it was ok, but I don''t even know the name of the person looking at the diamond and the price was REALLY low, so I''m too wary. Instead, I found an AGS0 M SI1 with strong blue fluorescence. I''m hoping to buy it today!!!

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
we like ours to be eye & loupe clean, but have never seen an actual i1 in real life

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 2:03:09 PM
Author: MikeRato1
we like ours to be eye & loupe clean, but have never seen an actual i1 in real life
Here is a video of that E I1 I was talking about. Its amazing how you see the inclusions through the loupe, then from a distance I don't see a thing! Videos are definitely the way to sell these beautiful stones when people would normally pass them by.

http://www.screencast.com/users/WinkJones/folders/Infinity%20Diamonds/media/f8c84614-a6d7-45e5-8b6a-f999cca41875

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m really nearsighted so I think I have better than 20/20 really up close. On the other hand I really like colored gemstones so I''ve always had the viewpoint that there is no such thing as flawless and should grade each stone on its own merits.

For colored stones some inclusions bother me and some do not, for example I don''t mind emeralds with (some) inclusions as long as they have great color, but would not buy an amethyst with inclusions because, well why? Sapphires, somewhere in the middle. In my head I have a stricter grading for diamonds, but for me as long as it is "eye clean" I don''t care what it is called. Since the diamonds I have ordered have been off the web I have been conservative in what clarity I have looked at (so far). As far as the mind clean, I think I can do SI2, don''t think I can do I clarity as that was the original reason I started to search for diamonds on the web versus in stores, to see non-I clarity stones (only found out about cut afterwards!)

If I ever get around to getting some champagne diamonds (such as to make earrings) I will be much more relaxed in their clarity grading as long it does not affect appearance/performance.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
With my round diamond I almost did buy an I1. It was a FIC and a killer price, but there was an SI2 that was also calling my name that was just a bit more. I think for a pendant I would definitely consider if the right stone and the right price came along. With a ring like my e-ring though I was a bit more cautious since I knew I was going to be staring at it all the time.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
First off, Maisie-your new diamond is gorgeous! Congrats!:)

My mom has a 2 ct I1 that I think is stunning and unless you are extremely close, it is eyeclean. It''s not even close to an ideal cut either. I love to wear that ring and receive nothing but compliments when I do. I would definitely consider I1 for a jewelry piece, for an ering, I''m not sure... Maybe. (Mine is an SI1 and I can''t even find the inclusions face up.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results