shape
carat
color
clarity

I would love some advice.....on a scary topic. Breast cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I was curious as to how she was doing as well after reading the initial postings. I''m glad things to be on the right track and will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Inflammatory breast cancer (from what I understand) is completely different and can be really horrible and scarey. I think I read somewhere in the past couple of days at PS that someone received an e-mail about it and was going to post it when they got the chance. I hope they do. Because it grows so quickly and the symptoms can be very similar to a very common breast infection, it is especially important for every women to be aware and vigilant because you''re right, we have to be our own advocates. We only go around once!

Again, glad to hear things seem to be going as best as they can and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks to Monarch for asking. I feel weird just posting random updates but I have no problem updating if people are wondering what's going on!!!

Curlygirl I appreciate you posting on the thread! I know what it is to feel like you just don't know what to say, but you are good with words and I appreciate your sentiment. I am glad my dad is there and called my mom out at the doctor's and spilled the beans. That would be my job if I were there, I'm sure.

Thanks for the kind words Girlrocks, and for wondering how we're doing. Inflammatory breast cancer is quite scary and I had never heard of it before this stuff with mom. It too is a type of cancer, that, like mom's, does not manifest as a lumpy tumor...but rather as a sheet or band of tissue, making it hard to diagnose.

Here are some websites about inflammatory breast cancer.
http://www.ibcresearch.org/
http://www.ibcsupport.org/
http://www.ibchelp.org/
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-Types/IBC

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update on your Mother FG. So much to go through. Still have her in my prayers and best wishes.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the update, FG. I didn''t know you had a doctorate--your mother is soooo lucky to have such a smart lady for a daughter! And you are so right, people should definitely not feel intimidated by their doctor or be afraid to "bother" them with questions. I think it''s easy to fall into that line of thinking, especially when you''re in a busy setting with many other patients and everyone seems rushed.

I''m glad to hear the tumor is shrinking--that''s great! And thanks for sharing the links on IBC...you know I''m a big fan of raising awareness!!
36.gif
35.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update FG! It makes such a difference when you can speak with the doctors at their level. I am so glad to hear that the tumor keeps shrinking, and that you are able to follow up on your Mom''s progress so thoroughly.

Please give her my best wishes and tell her that a lot of people out here in the PS world are rooting for her!
emrose.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts and words Sundial and Monarch! I will definitely pass on the good vibes, Hlmr!!
face23.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to bring up this thread, FG, if it''s not ok with you...ever since we lost the PM system it''s kind of impossible to ask directly..

How is your mother, if you don''t mind my asking???? I think about her often and wonder how you both (and your dad) are doing, whenever I hop on PS. I thought about you all again today when I realized it was Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!!

I would love to hear an update...we are all here for you, no matter if it''s positive or negative, just so you know!
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for asking Monarch!
35.gif
It''s perfectly okay to bump this thread and I''m happy to give updates and even more happy that you remembered about it and are wondering what''s going on!

Mom has her last round of chemo next week (it''s been about 6 months total now), and after that she has an appointment with the breast surgeon to talk about what needs to be done (mastectomy for sure, likely modified radical...whether one or both breasts is something for them to discuss). Once I find out when surgery is I will be booking a flight home for that.

There is a new kitty at home, and it seems to have lifted mom''s spirits more than I could have imagined so it''s nice to hear that. (Though she is careful not to get too close while she''s doing the chemo.)

I''ve been doing advocacy work around me, trying to educate people about detection and mammograms and MRIs and the different types of breast cancer. I''m also raising money for the American Cancer Society breast cancer walks this month and did the Komen Race for the Cure a few weeks ago. It was quite a moving experience. Several people at work have thanked me for sharing my mom''s story and spreading the word, which is what it''s all about. It helps me to feel like I''m doing something.
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2006 3:13:54 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Thanks for asking Monarch!
35.gif
It''s perfectly okay to bump this thread and I''m happy to give updates and even more happy that you remembered about it and are wondering what''s going on!

Mom has her last round of chemo next week (it''s been about 6 months total now), and after that she has an appointment with the breast surgeon to talk about what needs to be done (mastectomy for sure, likely modified radical...whether one or both breasts is something for them to discuss). Once I find out when surgery is I will be booking a flight home for that.

There is a new kitty at home, and it seems to have lifted mom''s spirits more than I could have imagined so it''s nice to hear that. (Though she is careful not to get too close while she''s doing the chemo.)

I''ve been doing advocacy work around me, trying to educate people about detection and mammograms and MRIs and the different types of breast cancer. I''m also raising money for the American Cancer Society breast cancer walks this month and did the Komen Race for the Cure a few weeks ago. It was quite a moving experience. Several people at work have thanked me for sharing my mom''s story and spreading the word, which is what it''s all about. It helps me to feel like I''m doing something.
1.gif
Well, it IS Breast Cancer Awareness month, LOL! Glad to hear you are getting involved--good for you! It has really been helpful for me to participate in the events I have, it definitely does make you feel useful.

I think its GREAT that your mom has a new cat, it''s amazing how much pets can contribute to one''s health and well-being. There is nothing in the world like the love of a furry friend to help you get through the day.

Thanks for the update. I was just showing someone my Avon Walk pictures again and the picture of my hair ribbons was there and I had to explain it without sounding too crazy, lol.
9.gif
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results