shape
carat
color
clarity

I want to update my ring but I'm unsure how.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Argh. Budiet=Budget and sand =sans

So I have to firm this up with my husband. He never really said anything other than "nice" after I showed him some different options with different price points.

I did tell him today there are a bunch more home improvement projects I want to do, so we'll see how he feels. I have a feeling he might be okay with spending more on the ring if it delays the home improvement projects. He hates those...

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I love yours! If you don't mind sharing, what are your proportions? That might be what I work towards.

The platinum band is 2.1 mm (I just measured it with a caliper) and the side pears are a little over half carat total I believe. As I mentioned earlier, I think your side pears might be a bit large and overwhelming your center stone visually, so if not going larger on the center, reduce the side stones to give the center stage to your main stone.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking the pic with the sapphire band. I know you’ve sold it, but that was the effect I was looking for - i think the wedding band up against your ER blurs them together and kinda dwarfs your pretty 3 stone.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
8A008389-9EFC-4404-92A7-1737D6D79861.jpeg I know you’re not likely to be drawn to this since the proportions are similar to your own ring, but I thought it might be helpful to see a similar ring with a plain band. I hope you find something you love!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My knuckles are swollen right now so I can't wear mine, but here's mine.
IMG_1981.jpg
I love the proportion of the center to the side pears! May I ask the sizes of the stones? Or better yet, start a thread?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
What do you mean? Do you think I'd be better of waiting until I could do a large light yellow stone and have it be a solitaire? I'm a little disappointed because in my head the idea sounded pretty good lol.

Diamonds by Lauren do may rings with Light Yellow (the grades up to the GIA'fancy Light') and white diamonds - but there are more halo type rings, not three stone... until one day, when they put an O-P cusion between two colourless French cuts! The letter is the one three stone with such a combination of colours I have seen (in pictures only...) & thought: WOW of it. I have seen many cluster and halo types with just about any shade of center surrounded by white & looking great.... This is what I know. Perhaps the point of it all: the diffence of cut & size of the diamonds greately aid the faint difference of colour & this is a tricky game to play... (pears & roudns are different in shape, but the cut model is quite similar - much more so than in the DBL ring I mentiond)

On the other hand: I love your ring! The proportions are unusual among rings here - perhaps closer to three-stone, so I am happy to see the few such rings around .) ... - the design reminds a roundish floweer bud & leaves, playful and happy :) Obviously, there is only that uch room on the finger, so these can only be as large as yours; I am not sure how muchh larger th center can getwithout breaking the happy flowery ilusion. (I recall some deco rings done thisway with the three diamonds set - along the finger instead! & at elats one pin - with three Large diamonds: in al, the short diameter of the pears was at elast 2/3 of the diameter of the center)

2c

(the above might neededitig, but I gttago)

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
My knuckles are swollen right now so I can't wear mine, but here's mine.
IMG_1981.jpg
Ohh...I love your ring, @blueMA ! Perfect
Proportions!

OP, I agree with others that the sides should be smaller so your center stands out or the center should be larger. Depends on your budget.

Erinsews

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to chime in and say that it seems to me that the “perfect” proportions are whatever looks best to you. Some people love the more traditional three-stone look and some prefer that the side stones act more as accents to the center stone. I personally don’t think either is “wrong.” Just my two cents!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to chime in and say that it seems to me that the “perfect” proportions are whatever looks best to you. Some people love the more traditional three-stone look and some prefer that the side stones act more as accents to the center stone. I personally don’t think either is “wrong.” Just my two cents!
Great point. True, it’s all a matter of taste and own preference. For me, @blueMA’s proportion is perfect as she has a large center stone with the side stones acting as accents. If it was a 3 stone ring of that size, it would be overwhelming for me. But again, that’s me. To each her own, as you’ve alluded in your post :). My interpretation of the OPs concern is about proportion thinking her side stones are too large for her center stone. Hope she decides on something she’d be happy with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results