shape
carat
color
clarity

I want to update my ring but I'm unsure how.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I've lurked for a while and finally made an account because I might actually be ready for a change.

I've got a 1.3 ct round brilliant w/ 0.7 cttw pear side stones. I'm thinking it looks a bit... off. Like maybe the size difference isn't large enough. So maybe a larger center stone? Or smaller pears? I was thinking yellow pears. Or a yellow center diamond.

The original plan was to upgrade sometime later but Zoara shut down and there goes that. Maybe I should just wait and figure out what I even want?

Reactions: AV_

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Op can you post a picture of your ring? There are many ways to pretty up/change a ring and you already have a sizeable center stone, although I am sorry to hear that your upgrade plans fell through due to zoara closing :(2

I find that three stones can be tricky when it comes to getting the proportions “right” for the wearer. Some like large size stones while others like smaller accent stones to highlight the center.

You can always put a nice colored stone in your current setting and pick something completely different like a halo for example that will also boost up the visual size of your center stone.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Op can you post a picture of your ring? There are many ways to pretty up/change a ring and you already have a sizeable center stone, although I am sorry to hear that your upgrade plans fell through due to zoara closing :(2

I find that three stones can be tricky when it comes to getting the proportions “right” for the wearer. Some like large size stones while others like smaller accent stones to highlight the center.

You can always put a nice colored stone in your current setting and pick something completely different like a halo for example that will also boost up the visual size of your center stone.
IMG_1296.jpg
Here is my set. Part of me thinks it's completely fine as is but then sometimes I think it meshes too much and needs something so the center stands out.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@winnietucker that is a really pretty set! I like your e-ring a lot but sometimes having a sizeable band like yore take take away from the ring a little bit. Is it in RG/YG? I can’t tell in the photo.

Also, can you share some inspirations that you have in mind?

I would recommend reading the ring on its own for a few days just to see if you can fall back in love with it. If yes, then maybe just wear your pretty band on your right hand and if not, then we can certainly help you find a new home for your center stone.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
@winnietucker that is a really pretty set! I like your e-ring a lot but sometimes having a sizeable band like yore take take away from the ring a little bit. Is it in RG/YG? I can’t tell in the photo.

Also, can you share some inspirations that you have in mind?

I would recommend reading the ring on its own for a few days just to see if you can fall back in love with it. If yes, then maybe just wear your pretty band on your right hand and if not, then we can certainly help you find a new home for your center stone.

It's 14k yellow gold. I've got this obsession with really pale yellow diamonds and I thought that would be a nice change! Either yellow sides or a yellow center? I've tried other bands, including plain gold bands in various thicknesses. I also have a less substantial graduated diamond band but I'm just stuck on changing the e-ring. My husband thinks all of my proposed ideas are, "nice!"

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's 14k yellow gold. I've got this obsession with really pale yellow diamonds and I thought that would be a nice change! Either yellow sides or a yellow center? I've tried other bands, including plain gold bands in various thicknesses. I also have a less substantial graduated diamond band but I'm just stuck on changing the e-ring. My husband thinks all of my proposed ideas are, "nice!"

Ha ha as long as he thinks your ideas are “nice”, you are good.

Would you want to stick to pears again, or rounds/other shapes? Do you only want a three stone, or so toy like other settings as well?

I am a fellow yellow diamonds lover and I even tried on a FY three stone ring with pear sides not too long ago, all stones had comparable hues, but maybe it can give you some ideas:

82BED32F-0BDB-49E6-BFEC-E0024358B847.jpeg

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Yellows: WWW

Light yellow and colourless are exceedingly difficult to fit together; I remember exceptions, of course.

2c

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE your ring!! rounds and ovals with pear sides are so elegant and classic. I'm biased though- my e-ring is a 1.1 ct oval with 0.5 cttw side pears, which I adore and still find very balanced after 12years. Since the oval faces up bigger than a round, the overall proportions might be slightly different from yours.
I also agree with @SimoneDi that blingy bands take away from the ering. I wear mine with a 1.2 (?) mm plain plat wedding band. Sometimes I wear those two stacked (one band on either side of the e-ring) with a channel set antique plat single cut band (also only 1.2mm wide). I personally prefer this vs a bigger eternity band I used to wear with the e-ring sometimes.

As much as I love to bling it up, to me the e-ring itself just looks best with by itself or with the Plat wb. I do wear the eternities on the rh... . stacked or not according to my mood ...

If you decide to redo , I'd personally keep the round centre (unless you want to upgrade in size lol) and look for slightly chubbier fancy yellow or R-Z pears. Yours might be a tad elongated.. . So maybe this is bothering you!??
I 'd go full colour contrast rather than a very light yellow.... This doesn't necessarily mean the costly Fancy yellow route. Do scroll through the diamonds by Lauren website. @Matilda included a link already. They are masters of pairing colorless stones and low colours and fancies and colored stones.
Just my 2cts and as always ymmw

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love colored stones and wear several. I do tend to kinda align my jewelry to my clothes. If you change your Ering to a colored diamond, will it limit when you wear it?

I have kinda an out of the box idea. A PS member had her ring set into a solitaire. She then had a wrap fitted that could be added to give a three-stone look when she wanted (I'm pretty sure it was made by David Klass). There were seamless when joined and did not look like one of those mall "enhancers". You could do this with your current round diamond and then find some side stones that you like. You could re-set your pears into another enhancer to change things up or make some lovely little drop earrings. This would give you a lot of flexibility to change the sides as you like.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do kind of feel like your sides are a bit large for your center. They are competing for attention instead of complimenting. Definitely think you should
figure out what you want before you make any moves.

I kind of like rockysalamander's idea about doing a wrap (I know they arent popular) if you want a change but maybe still a 3 stone. I'm pretty sure I know
the set RS is talking about and its very seamless. Gives the owner many options depending on your mood.

Can you afford to upgrade the center? You will take quite a loss trying to sell it or finding a vendor to give you an offer. If not, you may want to stick
with your center (it is a nice size) and go smaller on the sides (maybe do yellow rounds?)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I think your ER is gorgeous, and to my eyes the proportions are lovely!

I do agree that your diamond band overwhelms your ER. I'd wear a more delicate band with your ER, maybe a slim twist band or slender engraved band ...

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any sort of plain band you can photograph with your ER?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @winnietucker -

I had a 2.2ct center stone, with .62 ctw sides - ie 31 points on each side. I thought, if anything, my center stone needed to be larger. I know, also, that those stats (the ones from my ring) are the ones Victor Canera uses on his pear-sides 3 stone rings. So I agree; there isn't enough diffferentiation between your center stone and your sides.

Did you buy your center stone from Zoara? If so - bummer and commiserations.

I agree with those people suggesting smaller round sides. You probably wouldn't have much trouble finding matching yellow sides, and if you set them in a three prong setting (have a look at my avatar), they look a lot like pears anyway, but with ideal performance. So - win/win!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
My original e-ring is a larger round with smaller pears on sides, very similar to yours, and I never got tired of it. People still swoon and in disbelief how beautiful it is. I'm not a trend follower and tend to love classic designs. I agree with @mrs-b that your center just has to get a bit larger, or the side pears+band smaller.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @winnietucker -

I had a 2.2ct center stone, with .62 ctw sides - ie 31 points on each side. I thought, if anything, my center stone needed to be larger. I know, also, that those stats (the ones from my ring) are the ones Victor Canera uses on his pear-sides 3 stone rings. So I agree; there isn't enough diffferentiation between your center stone and your sides.

I agree with those people suggesting smaller round sides. You probably wouldn't have much trouble finding matching yellow sides, and if you set them in a three prong setting (have a look at my avatar), they look a lot like pears anyway, but with ideal performance. So - win/win!

I’m Team smaller side stones. I don’t think lower colored diamonds are necessary, if you drop in size, but it will certainly contrast more, and give more definition between center & side stones.
The design, itself, is gorgeous. I think the pears should be smaller...

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Ha ha as long as he thinks your ideas are “nice”, you are good.

Would you want to stick to pears again, or rounds/other shapes? Do you only want a three stone, or so toy like other settings as well?

I am a fellow yellow diamonds lover and I even tried on a FY three stone ring with pear sides not too long ago, all stones had comparable hues, but maybe it can give you some ideas:

82BED32F-0BDB-49E6-BFEC-E0024358B847.jpeg
This is really nice! I need to revisit the bands again. I feel like the last time i tried to go thinner it just didn't look right. I'm going to the jeweler this week anyway, so I'll try some on when I'm there.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Yellows: WWW

Light yellow and colourless are exceedingly difficult to fit together; I remember exceptions, of course.

2c

What do you mean? Do you think I'd be better of waiting until I could do a large light yellow stone and have it be a solitaire? I'm a little disappointed because in my head the idea sounded pretty good lol.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

I check Leibish & Diamonds By Lauren constantly. I have a new idea every time I check out Diamonds By Lauren... I was originally hoping Zoara would have a pretty yellow diamond and that I could utilize the upgrade program, but that dream died when they closed. I think a yellow center diamond would be really nice! I've seen a lot more options in cushions though. Do you think I could do a nice square cushion with colorless pears?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any sort of plain band you can photograph with your ER?

Unfortunately I don't. I returned them all because I didn't like the way it looked. I have this photo with a slightly thinner channel set sapphire band. I sold that one though because it no longer fits and was not resizable.
IMG_5218.JPG

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of budiet are you thinking about sand upgrade option? It will help us pitch ideas....

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Hi @winnietucker -

I did. I'm sad about it. There was no indication they were closing except for at the end when they stopped selling settings I guess. My husband told me a while ago to upgrade the center stone but I wanted hardwood floors so I said no thank you. I should have done it...

Your ring is very nice! I love the proportions!

I'm perfectly okay with doing a larger center stone. I'm still debating about it being yellow or not. Maybe U-V. I had a 1.8 ct U-V OEC a bit back and it was very pretty. I regret selling it all the time. I'm also okay with going with smaller sides. Or maybe both? I need to figure out what it is I want.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring is a larger round with smaller pears on sides, very similar to yours, and I never got tired of it. People still swoon and in disbelief how beautiful it is. I'm not a trend follower and tend to love classic designs. I agree with @mrs-b that your center just has to get a bit larger, or the side pears+band smaller.
I love yours! If you don't mind sharing, what are your proportions? That might be what I work towards.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

I like your ideas! I think think the hearts would be very interesting. I've never actually seen one in real life. I think I might like this better than the pears. But I also am not really sure about a more intense yellow because I'm not a colorful person. I think that might be too much color for me. I just don't know if I'd be comfortable being in a bright color (as sad as that sounds).

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
:(2:(2
I LOVE your ring!! rounds and ovals with pear sides are so elegant and classic. I'm biased though- my e-ring is a 1.1 ct oval with 0.5 cttw side pears, which I adore and still find very balanced after 12years. Since the oval faces up bigger than a round, the overall proportions might be slightly different from yours.
I also agree with @SimoneDi that blingy bands take away from the ering. I wear mine with a 1.2 (?) mm plain plat wedding band. Sometimes I wear those two stacked (one band on either side of the e-ring) with a channel set antique plat single cut band (also only 1.2mm wide). I personally prefer this vs a bigger eternity band I used to wear with the e-ring sometimes.

As much as I love to bling it up, to me the e-ring itself just looks best with by itself or with the Plat wb. I do wear the eternities on the rh... . stacked or not according to my mood ...

If you decide to redo , I'd personally keep the round centre (unless you want to upgrade in size lol) and look for slightly chubbier fancy yellow or R-Z pears. Yours might be a tad elongated.. . So maybe this is bothering you!??
I 'd go full colour contrast rather than a very light yellow.... This doesn't necessarily mean the costly Fancy yellow route. Do scroll through the diamonds by Lauren website. @Matilda included a link already. They are masters of pairing colorless stones and low colours and fancies and colored stones.
Just my 2cts and as always ymmw

Thank you! I do often wear either my engagement ring or wedding band alone. Mostly because my fingers get really swollen and I can't fit both.:(2

But I have tried some other bands and own/ have owned some other bands but none of them seem to match as well as the e-ring/ band combo I have going on now.

I do like chubby pears! I also was open to changing them because one is just slightly smaller than the other. It's barely noticeable and no one else seems to have noticed, but I've noticed and it bugs me...

I love Diamonds By Lauren. I wasn't as big a fan of yellow diamonds until I saw their website!. I'm a little obsessed with them now. I really like the yellows in halos. All of them. I also saw this beautiful yellow emerald cut with colorless side stones and my wheels were turning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results