clarity

I want to be Thanos

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Like this
E480FB15-5FF0-4D65-8468-E6AA37C7B2D4.jpeg

Because of these
CE6ADDD7-0703-4E18-AE8F-667946953376.jpeg

Went to see a 6ct unheated blue sapphire and tried 3 other stones... a 3.1ct mahenge spinel, a 7.1ct unheated yellow sapphire and a 4.6ct rubellite.

Boy I wish I can have all of them so I can be Thanos. :love:

More pics to follow...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to see the stones in different lighting...

Indoor, mix of natural and mall lighting
B25EA43A-B140-4093-8286-7108738C58F9.jpeg
Outdoor shaded
66DB8B1E-CC40-486D-AA76-0A92A94B4388.jpeg
Direct sun
8109E485-9491-4F21-828C-1BAF71584268.jpeg
Direct sun
D7BD9785-459C-479A-9DC3-D00676378240.jpeg
Indirect natural light
6D5BA37F-AEAF-452D-89C6-2E2AB799BF82.jpeg

I really went to see the blue sapphire and since I have a budget had eliminated the rubellite and mahenge spinel fairly fast... but the yellow sapphire was a surprise... it’s a nice emerald cut, clean and sparkly (“very crystal” according to my jeweller). He did advise that blue sapphire is harder to come by...
839CDE0C-C065-4063-B5BA-7FBDFEBBE334.jpeg
E31A52E5-F1DD-4336-AFE0-6ED5D4D1C98A.jpeg
The blue sapphire has a small window that looks like can quite minimized after setting. In temp setting to see what it looks like.
3D4A97FE-CCEB-43B4-A9F8-B2325C2F5556.jpeg AA5795DB-7493-4010-B4D3-2EC880FA3D80.jpeg

Opinions? About $9k for the blue and $5k for the yellow...

I do have some videos if anyone is interested...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post everything woman!!!!

I don't like blue in general so I'm useless regarding the blue sapphire.

I love yellow and looooove emerald cuts so that yellow sapphire is a beauty to me.

Question: What colour is the yellow in most lights? You don't want it to shift mustard!

I'm in love with the spinel :love::love::love:

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Blue is beautiful. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

The blue and yellow around the store (the blue sapphire doesn’t go black)(store lighting is dim and yellowish not the usual bright white spotlights in places that sells diamonds, so more like evening/night lighting)

Thanos collection in shopping mall, some parts with some sunlight through the roof/ceiling

Thanos collection in sunlight

How??? As I told my jeweller, I like the blue except the price. And for the yellow I really like the cutting...

Argh

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Blue is beautiful. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Good thing is it’s quite spready, so face up is bigger than the 7 ct yellow. I like the blue color more than the previous pastel one. Just really don’t like the price, lol.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Not pastel blue sapphire. This blue one v. V. Lovely:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you like the blue. Don't go for the yellow if you only love it for cut.

If the price on the blue is fair and you love it go for it!!! If it's a fair price there's really not much else you can do about it. It would be a sensible buy that you love so win win.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I don't like blue in general so I'm useless regarding the blue sapphire.

I love yellow and looooove emerald cuts so that yellow sapphire is a beauty to me.

Question: What colour is the yellow in most lights? You don't want it to shift mustard!

I'm in love with the spinel :love::love::love:

It doesn’t go mustard I think. It’s a nice bright yellow. What do you think after seeing the videos? Wriston described as lemony... as in like ‘do you want to see a lemony sapphire?’
Me: ‘what’s lemony?’ :confused:
Him: ‘this 7 ct sapphire’
Me: ‘ohhhhhh’ :love:

The spinel is probably returned by now. Very nice and sparkly and clean mahenge. We both admired the strong fluorescence of the spinel a few times (I forgot to take pics) and how clean and sparkly it is. But price was like o_O

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The yellow is a beauty and indeed does not go mustard but I love yellow (hence the username).

Does it make you swoon? Will you absolutely add a yellow to your collection one day?

It seems to me you definitely want a blue! So you should sort out your blue issues and feels :lol:

Lol I cracked up at the emoji you used for the price of the spinel! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mmmm if you bought the yellow would you still be looking for a blue? If the yellow was not there then what would you think of the blue? If the blue was not there then what would you think of the yellow?

Both are rare (unheated and large sizes). Both seem well priced. I think it may come down to personal preferences.

I like the blue and the mahenge spinel. But I am probably baised as I am generally a fan of red and blue stones (actually if you decide to pass on the blue then I would love to take a look before it goes back).

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
:))
The yellow is a beauty and indeed does not go mustard but I love yellow (hence the username).

Does it make you swoon? Will you absolutely add a yellow to your collection one day?

I didn’t think I would absolutely add a yellow sapphire until I saw this one. So yes I think it makes me swoon.

Mmmm if you bought the yellow would you still be looking for a blue? If the yellow was not there then what would you think of the blue? If the blue was not there then what would you think of the yellow?

Both are rare (unheated and large sizes). Both seem well priced. I think it may come down to personal preferences.

I like the blue and the mahenge spinel. But I am probably baised as I am generally a fan of red and blue stones (actually if you decide to pass on the blue then I would love to take a look before it goes back).

I’ve been looking for blue for a while so yes I would definitely be looking for a blue even if I get a yellow. They are not mutually exclusive just that it’s a bit tough to see both at the same time.

If either was not there then I think it makes the decision making easier since I don’t have to vomit up so much blood... I mean cash at the same time.

If decide not going for the blue I’ll let you know if he still has the stone. But will need to hurry as he held it for a few days as I wasn’t able to pop by over the week.

Lol I cracked up at the emoji you used for the price of the spinel! :lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

$7k. I dunno what’s a fair price for mahenge but Wriston said it’s one of the nicer ones he has seen for a while. Very clean for the size was what he said. And the mine is still closed right.

But I did get a 3ct (very included) pad colored mahenge for less than $1.5k recently so I was like o_O at the price. Feel like a total cheapo but what to do when I didn’t win the lottery...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I think you like the blue. Don't go for the yellow if you only love it for cut.

If the price on the blue is fair and you love it go for it!!! If it's a fair price there's really not much else you can do about it. It would be a sensible buy that you love so win win.

I think is the combination of cut and color. Usually the yellows I’ve seen sparks no interest whatsoever. Somehow this particular stone really caught my eye. The stone is certified with a reliable lab for color stability too which really helps cos that’s my usual worry with yellow sapphires.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

But I did get a 3ct (very included) pad colored mahenge for less than $1.5k recently so I was like o_O at the price. Feel like a total cheapo but what to do when I didn’t win the lottery...

OMG!!! I wish you had not told me that! Totally jelly!!!!!! That was a steal!!!! Was this at the gem show?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I didn’t think I would absolutely add a yellow sapphire until I saw this one. So yes I think it makes me swoon.

I’ve been looking for blue for a while so yes I would definitely be looking for a blue even if I get a yellow. They are not mutually exclusive just that it’s a bit tough to see both at the same time.

If either was not there then I think it makes the decision making easier since I don’t have to vomit up so much blood... I mean cash at the same time.

If decide not going for the blue I’ll let you know if he still has the stone. But will need to hurry as he held it for a few days as I wasn’t able to pop by over the week.

$7k. I dunno what’s a fair price for mahenge but Wriston said it’s one of the nicer ones he has seen for a while. Very clean for the size was what he said. And the mine is still closed right.

In that case is it possible to get both? Sounds very much like you will end up purchasing both a blue and a yellow at some stage down the track. And these are both lovely.

I seem to always have terrible luck, as I am always overseas when you go shopping! But this time round my flight home is tomorrow :mrgreen2:. So if you do pass I would love to know.

I think it is a good buy though. Actually both are good buys.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to get an orange and purple stone too so that you can control the universe:P2

Nice gems.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! I wish you had not told me that! Totally jelly!!!!!! That was a steal!!!! Was this at the gem show?

Yes at the gem show. Took the chance on an uncertified oval spinel (could have been treated, rubellite or whatever ya) and it came back from my local lab as unheated mahenge spinel, orangey pink and I was like :shock::dance::dance::dance:

Think you have seen this before?
B8CD3D58-8DE1-4355-A27F-3464939D0094.jpeg 3A6ADE11-0B92-4BD3-ABFD-4F9D3BA0A5F4.jpeg

Can’t seem to capture the color accurately so I kinda gave up taking pics of it
BBE50504-524F-4174-9CEC-892A153F9483.jpeg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you've been looking for the blue, get the blue (its gorgeous btw but they all are!)
I need to win the lottery to get ANY of them at this point (I spent a ton on house stuff this past year)

And hey nothing wrong with asking for a discount if you buy both yellow and blue right o_O However only buy what you know you're going to set. When I think about all the boxes of gemstones I got sitting around..... its a little sad honestly (but I won't give them up, hoarder of gems I am!)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
In that case is it possible to get both? Sounds very much like you will end up purchasing both a blue and a yellow at some stage down the track. And these are both lovely.

I seem to always have terrible luck, as I am always overseas when you go shopping! But this time round my flight home is tomorrow :mrgreen2:. So if you do pass I would love to know.

I think it is a good buy though. Actually both are good buys.

If you know what you want you can ask Wriston to help you look. And then comm via WhatsApp. For stones from the suppliers I think he usu WhatsApp his regulars to see if any interest.

Let him know intro by me as his clients are mostly by referrals. And I guess then he knows you are a bit more serious rather then just some random person.

Only if you are interested of course. I don’t get any commission. :P2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You need to get an orange and purple stone too so that you can control the universe:P2

Nice gems.

And a green also? I am looking! :lol:

D*** I’m really turning into Thanos. I really should take a wear all my rings in one hand shot to remind myself that I already have too many rings... :oops2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If you've been looking for the blue, get the blue (its gorgeous btw but they all are!)
I need to win the lottery to get ANY of them at this point (I spent a ton on house stuff this past year)

And hey nothing wrong with asking for a discount if you buy both yellow and blue right o_O However only buy what you know you're going to set. When I think about all the boxes of gemstones I got sitting around..... its a little sad honestly (but I won't give them up, hoarder of gems I am!)

Definitely setting the stones if I get them. I’ve been quite good about doing that and I find that it helps me to really think about whether I should buy a new stone. Plus I really enjoy wearing them.

If you ever want to de-stash let me know ok?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Do you ladies/gents think the blue is cornflowerish? The ones I’ve seen (and if I recall correctly) is more velvety and a bit more saturated?

I do like the color, but I suppose getting the designation helps add another to the “pro” bucket when I’m weighing pros/cons whether to buy or not.

Doesn’t seem as intensely cornflowerishly blue as what others have posted... :???::confused::eh:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely setting the stones if I get them. I’ve been quite good about doing that and I find that it helps me to really think about whether I should buy a new stone. Plus I really enjoy wearing them.

If you ever want to de-stash let me know ok?
:lol: I tried it before we moved. I was like OK this is the time and day, we're serious! And then as I pulled out each box, I started going down memory lane, when I got it, what I was doing when I got it and nothing went in the selling pile. Even the darn learner stones!

But I'm glad that you're setting and thinking along those lines. Some years ago I DID sell off some rings because they didn't get enough love. Those I can apparently let go. Last stone I purchased was a near 10ct blue zircon. (and its not set so there you are) Stone before that? Blue zircon. :roll2: I kinda have a problem.....

Just saw your post. No I don't consider the newest stone cornflower. To me it looks closer to ideal color than your previous ones.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That rubellite :love:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you know what you want you can ask Wriston to help you look. And then comm via WhatsApp. For stones from the suppliers I think he usu WhatsApp his regulars to see if any interest.

Let him know intro by me as his clients are mostly by referrals. And I guess then he knows you are a bit more serious rather then just some random person.

Only if you are interested of course. I don’t get any commission. :P2

Yes I'll get him to add me to the 'admirers list'.

I think the cornflower thing is a bit of an empty designation, as it depends on who is doing the labeling (its not a technically well defined term by a long shot, so different labs will not necessarily agree with each other). For what it is worth it isn't as vivid as it could be (bench-marking off the spinel in the photos). But what I am having difficulty properly gauging is how much more you'll need to spend to get a marginal improvement in colour -- you could spend a lot without making a dramatic difference at this stage. Also you seem to want it to be > 6 ct. (which could limit the options considerably and make a trade ideal colour hard to find and stupidly expensive once you've tracked it down).

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour "cornflower" is hard because Lotus and the labs classify a slightly darker more vivid blue than this stone as cornflower but people view cornflower closer to the colour of this stone..... that ideal cornflower everyone ask for, that is even more expensive per carat, is probably a whisker lighter and more vivid again. But it's still a pretty sapphire, so is the yellow one. I like emerald cut sapphires personally.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That rubellite :love:

It’s nice and I’ll imagine even better when set. But not clean clean, has some extinction and I think a nice rubellite is easier to find vs the other stone if i do want one later... right? Or are nice reddish rubellites hard to find?

Yes I'll get him to add me to the 'admirers list'.

I think the cornflower thing is a bit of an empty designation, as it depends on who is doing the labeling (its not a technically well defined term by a long shot, so different labs will not necessarily agree with each other). For what it is worth it isn't as vivid as it could be (bench-marking off the spinel in the photos). But what I am having difficulty properly gauging is how much more you'll need to spend to get a marginal improvement in colour -- you could spend a lot without making a dramatic difference at this stage. Also you seem to want it to be > 6 ct. (which could limit the options considerably and make a trade ideal colour hard to find and stupidly expensive once you've tracked it down).

Yeah I just spent the last hour checking the cornflower designation again. Seems like the labs don’t agree on the standard, Gübelin & SSEF outright doesn’t give the designation (only to royal blue, this is an interesting deck to go through for royal blue and pigeon blood designation LINK), which leaves GRS (and I’ve seen some that I don’t like), Lotus (not common in my country) or our local lab (Nanyang)...

Anyway based on the examples I’ve found online this one isn’t vivid enough to be cornflower. BUT... I’ve seen what I thought were dark and non-vivid ones certified by GRS (in my humble opinion, add disclaimers re: maybe bad eyesight etc - I don’t feel secure to criticize a well known lab heh) as cornflower so I really don’t know.

Yeah, will have to spend probably double for a cornflower certified sapphire. So probably not worth it? :confused:

I’m not looking for over 6ct!!! I asked for 3-4ct but he keeps showing me these tempting giants and I’m too weak to say no... like how to resist right? :roll::whistle:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The colour "cornflower" is hard because Lotus and the labs classify a slightly darker more vivid blue than this stone as cornflower but people view cornflower closer to the colour of this stone..... that ideal cornflower everyone ask for, that is even more expensive per carat, is probably a whisker lighter and more vivid again. But it's still a pretty sapphire, so is the yellow one. I like emerald cut sapphires personally.

Yeah both sapphires are nice... otherwise wouldn’t be feeling so troubled lol.

The “regret” risk for both stones are higher than the previous pastel that I walked away from. Like that I might totally regret not getting the stones if I don’t get them.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I could not walk away from the yellow sapphire. It seems perfect.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
As Thanos says,

"The hardest choices require the strongest wills."

Oh but Thanos also said,

"With all six stones, I can simply snap my fingers; they would all cease to exist. I call that mercy. And then what?"

Wah!!!!!:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: Imagine wearing your sapphire and then saying that? :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Who would have known the Avengers: Infinity Wars would be so apt here in the context of sapphire shopping?

PS: Wriston must be Oblivion if he chooses you to be Thanos.....I can see why at 14K usd.

I want to be an Avenger too. Pout.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results