shape
carat
color
clarity

I think this is a no brainer...

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
Hi folks - first time posting, but I've been reading the forums A LOT over the past few weeks.

I've been looking for a 0.75ct round for an engagement ring and have been shopping around both in-store and online. The problem is, I've had a very difficult time detecting difference in brilliance and light performance while in-store. I think it's for a couple reasons, mostly the in-store lighting and the fact that the jewelers keep pulling diamonds with low end cut grades. I'll say, "could i see the difference between equivalent color/clarity diamonds where one is a really well cut stone and the other a more poorly cut stone." And they inevitably return with a stone in the fair cut category and a stone in the good cut category, never exceeding VG/VG in polish or symmetry either.

So when I shop online, I see stones on paper that have ideal cut measurements, polish and symmetry - and from the wisdom and experience of others, it sounds like they should be absolutely stunning compared to the poorly cut stones I've looked at in store. But since I've never seen an ideal cut stone in person, I have a hard time rationalizing the added premium for the ideal cut.

So here's an example of two equally priced stones:

Whiteflash ACA:
AGS: 0.75 ct, F, VS2, Ideal cut, Ideal/Ideal

Local Jeweler
GIA: 0.71ct, E, VVS1, Fair cut, Good/Fair

From what I've read, this is a no brainer, right? Go with the ACA because of the huge advantage in cut quality. The only reason I hesitate is because I haven't seen the substantial impact of cut in person. I just need some reassurance.

Thanks you in advance for your thoughts!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Post the GIA report number of the local stone. I want to know why it gets a fair cut rating.

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1307559536|2940887 said:
Post the GIA report number of the local stone. I want to know why it gets a fair cut rating.

The jeweler didn't pass them along. She said they were "blurry" - though to her credit she has been very very accomodating. If it helps, I recall it being 5.9mm in diameter, which to me seemed like a red flag for a 0.71ct round. Wouldn't that mean it's cut shallow?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
If the jewelers in your area do not carry AGS 0 or GIA Ex, you're wasting your time looking at their inventory. Many jewelers do not carry well-cut stones.

An E color, VVS2 clarity stone with fair cut is very typical of what most jewelry stores carry -- why? Most people don't know that it is cut quality that makes a diamond sparkle. Jewelers make more money from stones in the D-G color ranges than they do on stones in the H and below color ranges. So they often tell customers that high color is what makes a diamond look good. No, high color is what makes more profit for them. High clarity stones (VVS and above) cost a lot more than VS and SI stones, and are more profitable for the jeweler. I've been in jewelry stores and heard -- many times -- a salesperson telling a customer that the stone will sparkle more because of its good clarity. In fact, I had a jeweler whose been in business over 30 years, and is a trained gemologist, tell me that just recently.

So jewelers are banking (literally) on the fact that you don't know beans about cut, and that you will believe that it's color and clarity that make a diamond sparkle.

What I would do is order the WF stone, have it sent to you, and take it back to the jeweler and compare the WF stone to the fair cut stone, and see if your eyes can tell the difference when you have a bona fide comparison in front of you.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I say go to another jeweler? My jeweler is obssessed with high colors but he also told me cut is VERY important. He brought in GIA EX/EX/EX stones for me to look at just to prove his point.

I have a GIA excellent cut stone and an AGS000 stone. I also have diamonds that I don't even know what the cut grade is (before I learned how important cut is). I will not say the diamonds with questionable cut grades are BAD and NOT pretty because they ARE pretty. But I will say my AGS000 sparkles like no other diamond I've ever seen.

I think at the end of the day you have to find a store that is willing to show you some of these stones and judge for yourself whether the cut premium is worth it for you. To some people they don't think the difference is that big to them. Some even prefers cuts that look more... "organic" rather than... "mechanic." But you will never know until you put them side by side :geek:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I would also be curious to know a couple things:

1) What is the price difference?
2) Will you feel you are 'getting what you paid for' with the jewelry store diamond since it's significantly cheaper than the ACA, or that you got a bad deal because it's more expensive, or are they equal? If equal, why get a 'fair' cut when you can get 'ideal' for the same price?
3) What kind of setting are you getting, and what will that cost at the jeweler vs. WF?
4) Upgrade policy at each? I don't want to assume that you will want a larger diamond someday, but it can be a nice option to have just in case.

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Great advice all around. I'll stay with my instincts and keep searching for a diamond of the highest cut grade.

In response to several of your suggestions, I've set up an appointment for tomorrow at another jeweler to look at two GIA excellent cut diamonds in person. I think this will provide me with the reassurance I'm looking for. I'll link both below.

Any thoughts on these two? Preferences?

Carat Weight: 0.71
Cut: Excellent
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA
Depth %: 61.9
Table %: 57
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 5.71*5.74*3.54
http://www.dimendscaasi.com/includes/showFile.asp?stockNum=1046675563

Carat Weight: 0.71
Cut: Excellent
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth %: 61.7
Table %: 56
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 5.71*5.79*3.55
http://www.dimendscaasi.com/includes/showFile.asp?stockNum=3511129312

Thanks!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
no brainer regarding the cut quality between the ACA and the local jeweler. You should go with the best cut quality you can afford as it will be the sparkliest and have the better light return.

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
Amys Bling|1307581979|2941188 said:
no brainer regarding the cut quality between the ACA and the local jeweler. You should go with the best cut quality you can afford as it will be the sparkliest and have the better light return.

Couldn't agree more. Do you have any thoughts on the two diamonds I just posted? Both fit within my budget and appear to be of very similar cut quality. I'd love to hear opinions on how to weigh the rest of the characteristics.

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
Stone-cold11|1307586263|2941268 said:
Both look promising from the numbers. See for yourself which you like better.

DS also carries craftedbyinfinity's H&A stone, maybe call in this one too. Slightly lighter but same diameter as the other 2 you posted.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=816

Thanks for the insider information - I had no idea where DS pulled their inventory from. Has anyone here purchased from Dimend Scaasi before? I'm in Chicago and will be visiting the store today to look at a few stones, including the two I posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results